Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tenacious J posted:

So I just got one and am disappointed by the tiny little controllers. I find it difficult and unpleasant to use the little buttons and tiny sticks. I only had an hour with it though - tell me it gets better and we get used to it?

You've got options. Did you try attaching the shoulder grips to give them a little more heft? Can you find a Pro? At this point I've settled on Pro for playing while docked, and loose joycons while playing in tabletop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

It is really dumb, but if it's just a product of the console being rushed, and they're gonna have Netflix eventually, I'm fine with it. I'd rather have a Switch without Netflix for 6 months than no Switch at all for 6 months.

Look at this sucker.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Splatoon is such a big deal in Japan that they're airing commercials advertising that the Splatoon 2 TESTFIRE is coming. It's a big enough deal that Nintendo can spend ad money to tell people in Japan to buy a Switch because soon there'll be a DEMO for Splatoon 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-riWQkTkgw

Look, stop hyping up this niche product that would not have been successful on any other pla

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Infinitum posted:

It's... not? I'm running BoI just fine.

Did a Technology challenge mode run just to test out Put-A-Bunch-Of-poo poo-Onscreen-At-Once, and it was running super smoothly.

Yeah I'm messing around with it and even the 4x tile rooms are running fine.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

They should definitely be porting over as many Wii U titles as possible: it's an easy way to inflate the library with quality games that didn't sell as well as they could have due to the Wii U's poor sales. But it does seem like a poor idea to tell your more dedicated customers that they have to pay full price for a game they got three years ago. I dunno, the Switch seems to be doing fine so it likely won't be an issue.

Wii U ports could be a good placeholder for gaps in the release schedule for a while, if they added online multiplayer for something like Pikmin 3 I'd gladly buy it again. Don't think I'd rebuy anything else but Kart, though.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

well why not posted:

super weird that Link's Awakening isn't on it. It has eight other Zelda games in the VC.

I'll be glad once 3DS and Wii U are buried and there's just ONE singular VC list. Fragmentation needs to go.

LA is one of those games I can't talk about without wanting to play.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

gently caress Ubi/EA/whoever, bring on the indies. 1st party Nintendo titles backed up by Stardew, roguelikes, and being a couch multiplayer machine in things like Overcooked and Jackbox, we're good.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Nothing like finding Money = Power when you have 80 coins.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Infinitum posted:

:yeah:

Check this poo poo out

If you get hit with the Cancer trinket it reduces the fire rate by 2.

Level 99 Money = Power + machine gun tears = :laffo:

Yeah that run I got to Mom's Heart and basically just stood still and melted it. Fruit Cake, Power is Money, Full Heal Pill, holy shots, increase speed when shooting in one direction -- yeah. The moment I stopped trying to maneuver everything died. Was good to see that even against mom with fruit cake, a few orbitals, and that rate of fire, the game didn't chug at all.

Takoluka posted:

From a few pages back, but Splatoon and Tokyo Mirage Sessions also used fully used both screens, as Splatoon required it for instant jumping and certain special attacks, and TMS basically treated it as your MC's cell phone. Star Fox Zero also used both screens perfectly fine, but, you know, because it didn't play 100% like Star Fox 64, it was extremely bad.

Star Fox did not use both screens well. Taking your eyes off one screen to aim with the other was distracting as hell. Gyro aiming in addition to just aiming with where you're flying? Cool. Whatever it is they did? Garbage.

How is splat 2 handling missile strikes and super jumps? I feel like the gamepad features were addressed in the demos but completely blanking.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Super Dodgeball represent.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

VideoGames posted:

NBA Jam Tournament Edition please. That would be a neat portable sports game.

When was the last time there was a new NBA jam?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I just bought an AC adapter for my go bag because gently caress putting this much work into not burning down the house.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I've seen frequent slowdowns with Azazel/Brimstone + Tammy Head combos, and one particularly egregious run involving Toxic Shock. The slowdown can definitely happen with certain item/room combos.

I just had an Eve run with a dozen fly buddies, 5 familiars (incl Brimstone), crazy rate of fire on pulsing tears, and made it through mom's heart without slowdown. I haven't unlcoked Azazel yet, even though I'm pretty sure I've had multiple runs that met the criteria, but will try him out as he seems to be the hero present in the handful of slowdown complaints.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Holding off on being too mad about Miiverse being gone until we see what the online is going to look like. Hopefully there is some kind of replacement, they have to know how popular it is.

Do we have any idea when Wargroove or Overcooked are coming? I think those are the two indies my group is most excited for and there doesn't seem to be much info on the former at all, or updates on the switch port for the latter.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

I seem to recall Overcooked and Stardew Valley, which are two of my big picks, were listed along with Splatoon in the nebulous "summer 2017".

I will also be 100% getting Stardew Valley, but that will mostly be when sitting at my desk using the switch as a 3rd monitor. One of my friends and I used to play Advance Wars with link cables running between our desks in school, so we will be diving into Wargroove hard. Overcooked is just going to be a good game night.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone using a dock sleeve notice any heating issues the extra fabric brings? Was thinking of picking one up but am worried of melting.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Andrast posted:

Why do people bother arguing with stux?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

iajanus posted:

Odd question

It's not switch exclusive, but in a lot of pause menus for games I get a weird sound from my speakers on my 5.1 system. Sounds almost like the sound from an old record player when it encounters dust on the groove. Only happens in pause menus (likely when sounds are minimal) and happens in all systems I own.

The dock is plugged into an hdmi hub into a Samsung audio system (then via hdmi into the TV).

Any clues? Been happening for years.

Bypass the hub and plug straight in and see if it still happens. In some cheaper hubs/DACs/etc you get some low level static that can be heard when the volume is on but there isn't much going on.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

There is so much poo poo in Zelda I honestly doubt most people will encounter or figure out half the systems in it. 60+ hours into it and I just now figured out that during bad weather merchants will sell rare goods and slash prices on their normal goods in order to get business because of people staying inside cause of the weather

Yeah I have like 110 hours in Zelda and never noticed this.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SPLAT SPLAT BITCHES

Dualies or bust.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

So is testfire starting in 10 minutes EST? Or is the only time today the 11PM EST one? I really hate time zones.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mahoning posted:

First one is 3-4pm eastern time. Then 11-midnight.

And the morning sessions are 7 AM EST?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I brought my Switch to work :getin:

:yeah:

I love having it in a little stand next to my monitors.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

XyrlocShammypants posted:

What they are saying is basically a death sentence for turn based RPGs, that the game is arbitrarily hard because it randomly generates scenarios that don't allow for player choice to overcome the obstacles. Also the story is garbage (there really isnt any story).

Isn't it a rogue like?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Did anyone get/can anyone recommend getting Has Been Heroes? I'm generally a fan of roguelikes but this one appears to be getting panned. Not sure if it is worth picking up over just playing more Isaac. I've already made my bad game donation in Bomberman.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Kirios posted:

I haven't even looked at my Vita or my 3DS since getting the switch. I'm starting to get the feeling I will never touch those two devices ever again.

I kind of hope this isn't the case, there are a few 3DS games I want to play that I never got around to and I will definitely play LBW again. And again.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

eonwe posted:

really tho yall if you need a zelda break, buy shovel knight

I'm loving the Specter Knight campaign so far. Some really cool jumps with the slash mechanic.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Did anyone actually get HBH? Reviews have been pretty bad and nobody seems to be talking about it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

My fav is when people are super anti-piracy even for out of print games and act like buying a copy used isn't the exact same thing as piracy at that point.

It's different, but it's also really normal off the shelf stuff this time around. Even if emulators are way off, it wouldn't surprise me to see "cracked" games modified and repackaged to run on non-Nintendo hardware.

Pirating something like Mother 3 that you can't get anywhere else, go for it.

Pirating something like Super Mario World where you can get it in 5 minutes on pretty much any platform, come on.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

lelandjs posted:

spent the roughly $5000 I have on videogames and consoles and PC components in the past decade.

Now I'm tempted to figure out what that number is for me but just doing a ballpark figure in my head has me terrified of knowing the truth. Maybe if I don't count PC builds...

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

eonwe posted:

nintendo release some fuckin snes games on the switch

I will buy and play SNES RPGs over, and over, and over..

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone know if that playable Wargroove build is any good? They mentioned it being at some convention this week.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Specter Knight was pretty good and makes me want to play Tony Hawk.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

zaepg posted:

Didn't see a general Nintendo topic, but I'm curious what Nintendos most durable console (bound to last a long time is). Wii U I figure would be pretty low on the list. I'm already seeing some GBA games have their battery run dry. I like to think disc based systems are more durable than cart based, but anything with a disc reader can tend to fail as well

Don't need a battery if you're going to beat the game in one sitting.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Takoluka posted:

My local Best Buy has approximately 30 Lucina amiibo on their shelf. 30. They've been there for weeks. I never know what to think of this "artificial scarcity" discussion, because there are literally dozens upon dozens of figures that absolutely no one is buying right now and may never buy. Now, when the next Fire Emblem game comes out, people will rush out in droves to buy those 30 Lucina amiibo and then everyone will start complaining about "artificial scarcity" again.

Sheiks and Zeldas were everywhere before BotW hit, because no one cared. Even the new Zelda amiibos weren't super rare. Suddenly, everyone went "Wait, a SPECIAL BOW!?" and bought them all out. Now, we want Nintendo to make hundreds of thousands of these amiibo, so everyone can have 30 Sheiks on their store shelves.

How do you, as a company, truly tackle that?

Also, none of the amiibo items are necessary, and outside of the Twilight Bow, you might not even think twice about them. I have two sets of the "of the Wind" set, and I don't even want them anymore. (And you can't dye them! RIP Purple Link.)

You don't. You make as many as you think will sell and let people cry from time to time.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dyed the * Of the Wild set purple and am running around with the spring loaded hammer.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

jivjov posted:

Hey, someone was asking to see my amiibo collection?

I'd judge if I didn't know I would do the exact same thing if my apartment had room for it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I think I saw it asked a week or two back but I got a chance to try this weekend - plugged Bomberman into my Switch, redeemed rewards. Plugged into friends switch, got a message that it had been redeemed. So rewards are tied to carts if you ever buy used.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

That game looks really ugly, why do people like it so much?

It's ugly and juvenile, but the gameplay is solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Diabetic posted:

What game is that in the preview of this video? I don't recognize it but it looks Castlevania-ish.

The Specter Knight campaign of Shovel Knight?

• Locked thread