Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

GreatGreen posted:

Oh cool, good to know that Nintendo designed their device so that your warranty is voided if you replace a part that degrades and actually should be replaced over time.

Yes, that nefarious Nintendo, always looking to nickel and dime the little guy, unlike any other hardware manufacturer on earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

True, but why couldn't it be user replaceable like the Wii U Gamepad and 3DS?

Short version is, electronics are designed with heat dissipation in mind. If the optimal way to keep heated elements separated is through the use of ribbon cables, the manufacturer is not going to be ok with allowing consumers to tinker with it, because they have this bad habit of loving up ribbon cables and then blaming the manufacturer.

e: As Dr. Cheeto said above, the only way to circumvent this is by giving the electronics more space (making it bulkier) or using more elaborate heat-sinking methods (making it more expensive)

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Astro7x posted:

So I have yet to actually play with the Joycons detached so far (pro controller 100% in docked mode)

Decided to try it tonight... the right joy con works fine 100% of the time. The left joycon cuts out if it's behind my back.

I guess my left joycon is hosed up? And Nintendo is replacing or repairing them now?

There's an easy fix if you're handy with a screwdriver and a soldering iron, or you can call their customer service and have it turned around for free in about 5-6 days

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Today I would like to take this opportunity to declare a national holiday

Happy 5th birthday to Kid Icarus: Uprising

I want the Switch remake

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

BrownThunder posted:

Glad I waited to get a Pro Controller:

gently caress

I want the splatoon one but I can't possibly justify it

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Out of all of them, I think Splashdown is the JAM. The fact you can do it during a super jump to do a great surprise kill is wonderful.

Yeah, at first I thought it looked worthless (cause to get that close in most situations you'd already be dead), but it's a wonderful balance to the jump indicators

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

How moron proof is this? I had to have other people put stickers on my legos when I was younger. I am that bad at this poo poo.

Very. They give you 2 in case you gently caress up

Also, use the sticker hinge that comes with it, it's amazing. Don't be too anal about getting it exactly right -- the glass is slightly smaller than the screen, so if you try to align it with a corner it will be slightly askew of center, but it'll still cover all the important bits while leaving the speakers/sensors free

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Annoying that lobby sometimes takes 2 minutes or 5 secs

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Spellman posted:

I honestly prefer gyro cursor to the sensor bar cursor, though my sensor bar has been absolute poo poo lately. I don't know if it's picking up lights off my router, a reflection, or I'm just too far from my TV, but I haven't been able to play a Wii game in forever

Mostly talking about Tomorrow Corp games

I like how my hands don't have to be directly facing the screen

Use your phone to look at the sensor bar with all other lights off. You can see the infrared, along with anything that it might be bouncing off of.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

If I already own every mario golf, does that game have anything new for me?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Flower Fields was a thing, so that wasn't a Paper Mario first

It has nothing on Chapter 4 though. God, the padding there

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah I kinda hit a wall in BOTW yesterday (having to kill the Lynel to get the Shock Arrows) so I just warped somewhere else and started exploring a bit.

You don't have to kill it, and in fact you are not supposed to

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I never thought I'd be happy to see one-hit kills in a zelda game but welp

I did notice that you end up with a quarter heart after a particularly vicious attack suspiciously often though

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Mahoning posted:

Just a reminder for those that missed it: BestBuy.com will have the Switch and NES Classic for sale at 1pm ET.

Appreciate this. Showed my friends the switch and now they all want one but can't find it

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Takoluka posted:

Emulation of a system that has been out for less than a month is pretty lovely, primarily because people aren't doing it for any reason other than to stick it to Nintendo somehow. Like, based on what I see online, there are people who want to spend literally hundreds of hours playing Nintendo exclusives while jacking themselves off to the thought that they didn't pay for any of them out of spite. Emulation of a system in 2017 is way less about randoms learning system infrastructure for homebrew and more about trying to get in on fandom discussion about how Breath of the Wild is just okay and not reeeeally worth $60 that they totally spent. Emulation as a concept is not a bad thing, but emulation as an execution is a piracy gateway for the extreme majority of people. When someone says they have an emulator, they're not saying "I have a PC program that simulates a system." They're saying "I downloaded Wind Waker and modded it with Dolphin, so I don't have to buy the HD one."

Nah they're just shitheads who wanna play free games and give lovely post-hoc justification for not paying for the game after they've already experienced it for free

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Pikmin 2 is now on the Wii-U

loving poo poo

I want it but I don't want to buy it on a system I'm putting away

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

eonwe posted:

nintendo release some fuckin snes games on the switch

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

its not really effortless, the pro controller is only directinput so you have to go through the hoop of using something like xpadder to get it to work with most modern games, and even then there's drawbacks. i personally think the switch pro controller d-pad is kind of bad and imprecise--while playing zelda i had more than one moment where i would press right to access my weapons and it would read it as me pressing up. i don't know why they made it so you can press the whole thing down.

Same thing happens to me every so often. At first I chalked it up to getting used to the controller but it's an ongoing problem even a month later.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

jivjov posted:

Hey, someone was asking to see my amiibo collection?

I'm proud of you for taking them out of the boxes

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I want very badly to have Switch BOI, but I can't justify dropping $40 on a game I can already play on my laptop

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Thank god for 20% discounts else I'd never pay 40 bucks for puyo puyo tetris, but 30 is fine.

The thing that pushed me over the edge here, in addition to the discount, was the free keychains

Love me a tetris keychain

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Yeah but if you buy new underwear you don't have to pay for a new license to keep wearing the same pants over them. I think? Pants piracy?

Since Puyo Puyo Tetris is made by Sega, does it play like Sega Tetris or are all games 100% forced to use the weird Tetris Company guidelines now?

It has T-spins and holds if that's what you're asking

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Dizz posted:

You can just patch the game like they did with botw and framerate issues. Not saying that rushing a poo poo game is a good idea but delaying it and not giving your audience reason why is poo poo.

That philosophy led to the recent AAA mess that is Mass Effect Andromeda

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Skies of Arcadia 2

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I don't get the claim that they're going to add enemy camp markers, that sounds so trivial

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

All I have to say is that they need to make bob's brain look less like common cold, which is, in fact, a lot less common than bob's brain

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Blazing Zero posted:

i had the callie and marie set but i threw marie into the trash where she belongs

Reported, hope you like being banned, idiot

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Spacebump posted:

MK 8 Deluxe Battle Mode courses (in German)

No Block Fort or Double Deck :(
pls have DLC cups that come with battle courses.

Video of them playing here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKrNVviX24w

Why on earth would they not have goddamn block fort

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I'm so bad at puyo puyo but I can't wait for it to come out

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Probably gonna get splatoon digital unless it comes with promos or something. It just plain makes sense.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I think the last Puyo game released stateside was Puyo Puyo Fever, which was back in like 2004.

So uh not like we know what we were missing

I got the PC version to play against people online. Japanese people crushed me consistently but I learned some good gimping strats

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Kirby's Avalanche kinda sucks because there's no option to play with only 4 colors

Being stuck with 5 colors SUCKS unless you get good RNG

e: I think Dr. Mario is pretty much the worst mainstream puzzle game there is besides bejeweled. Puyo Puyo is fun if you manage to get a hang of chaining. Tetris Attack/Puzzle League is still the best puzzle game there is though

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing greed mode for a week trying to unlock Lilith and haven't yet gotten a good enough run that I didn't get completely faced by Ultra Greed

The one time I made it with a decent amount of hearts I was only doing a teeny part of his health per burst and had zero crowd control capability. Frustrating.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Infinitum posted:

An official translation of Seiken Densetsu 3? :swoon:

My deep dark secret is that I have never played SD3
Or Majora's Mask
Or Skyward Sword
Or Secret of Evermore
Or Chrono Trigger

66% of these are must-plays

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

All I want is to be able to buy all my Mario games again for the 5th time

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I never got the love for Crash Team Racing. Far as I could tell it felt like a Diddy Kong Racing knockoff

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

You can pry my puyo puyo keychain from my cold dead hands

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

The PPT translation is cute and good but pretty tedious

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

eonwe posted:

i won my first puyo puyo online match

I managed to win one then promptly got destroyed in the next 5

Holy poo poo some people are good at tetris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I'm going to keep playing puyo puyo until I can consistently make 8 chains

• Locked thread