Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pikmin 2 is now on the Wii-U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Bombadilillo posted:

The convenient part is you saying "If they don't use this strategy I guess they don't care about it, and if they don't care..."

no im just pointing out that given what we've seen with the pc market and steam, not to mention non-video game related markets, there are definite marketing methods which reduce piracy that nintendo dont persue, meaning its reasonable to assume that the amount of piracy that affects them isnt enough to bother them or spur them into moving their model into something more focused on reducing it. they seem more worried about the impact of people streaming their games than emulators.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Stux posted:

no im just pointing out that given what we've seen with the pc market and steam, not to mention non-video game related markets, there are definite marketing methods which reduce piracy that nintendo dont persue, meaning its reasonable to assume that the amount of piracy that affects them isnt enough to bother them or spur them into moving their model into something more focused on reducing it. they seem more worried about the impact of people streaming their games than emulators.

No, now you are just pointing that out after a goal post move. But theres notoriously no point in arguing with you so I'll stop.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Pirate if you want to but stop loving justifying it and just do it, pussies.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

There's an argument to be made for preserving old games, but loving :lol: if you're actually trying to justify emulating Switch games at this point

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Viva Libertalia, fellow pirates. I hope this endeavor lasts for a good long while.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Bombadilillo posted:

No, now you are just pointing that out after a goal post move. But theres notoriously no point in arguing with you so I'll stop.

Stux posted:

also we already know by this point that the best way to discourage piracy is to use lower prices and make things more affordable. nintendo prefer to go after a model where their items stay at the higher end for longer like apple, which means they probably dont worry too much about lost income from things like this. the people who are very worried about those things and want to actually stop it use a different business model.

Stux posted:

its literally exactly what i originally said.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Takoluka posted:

"Archiving a thing" and "archiving and distributing a thing for free when it is still actively, readily, and easily available for sale from its original distributor" are not the same thing.

You are right, though. People deserve to be entertained, regardless of the means. If you can't afford something, you can just make a copy from someone that did.

Well no, those are the same thing. Archival is archival. You don't go to a library and yell at a librarian for archiving the newspaper from last week.

You seem to misunderstand me on the 2nd bit though. I want to give content creators my money, but if whatever they were selling is no longer available, I'll get it by other means. I have 3 SNES carts of Chrono Trigger. I was poor as a kid, we couldn't afford a $80 game in 1996. Bought 2 at trade shows, and the last was from the place I rented as a kid. Well, my SNES died a while back, and TV'S don't have RF input these days, so I play on an emulator now.

Would I buy the poo poo out of a new SNES? Absolutely. Is Nintendo producing those? Nope. But hey, gently caress me for experiencing old stuff, am I right?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's my emulators story: as a child I wasn't able to have a video game system because my parents didn't like them. But I wanted to play videogames so I downloaded ZNSES and played Super Mario World and Mario RPG on my Windows 95 laptop (this was only about~12 years ago, it was an ancient crappy laptop). Being able to play those games started a love for videogames that has recently culminated in me purchasing a $300 system to play 100+ hours of a single videogame in a two week span.

If it weren't for emulation I wouldn't be into videogames, and wouldn't have spent the roughly $5000 I have on videogames and consoles and PC components in the past decade.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm not sure how meaningful sales figures are right now, aren't they just a measure of how many Switches are being made since it's still supply limited? The bigger test is how long this supply limited period lasts.

Takoluka posted:

You are right, though. People deserve to be entertained, regardless of the means. If you can't afford something, you can just make a copy from someone that did.
:agreed:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Pirate if you want to but stop loving justifying it and just do it, pussies.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Pikmin 2 is now on the Wii-U

loving poo poo

I want it but I don't want to buy it on a system I'm putting away

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm sorry thread, I'm sure once VC launches you'll be able to play Final Fantasy V with the pirate Faris all you want, but for the meantime you'll just have to settle with going to Eventide Island.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Well no, those are the same thing. Archival is archival. You don't go to a library and yell at a librarian for archiving the newspaper from last week.

You seem to misunderstand me on the 2nd bit though. I want to give content creators my money, but if whatever they were selling is no longer available, I'll get it by other means. I have 3 SNES carts of Chrono Trigger. I was poor as a kid, we couldn't afford a $80 game in 1996. Bought 2 at trade shows, and the last was from the place I rented as a kid. Well, my SNES died a while back, and TV'S don't have RF input these days, so I play on an emulator now.

Would I buy the poo poo out of a new SNES? Absolutely. Is Nintendo producing those? Nope. But hey, gently caress me for experiencing old stuff, am I right?

I mean cmon dude using context and common sense I'm pretty sure no one is criticizing your example.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

lelandjs posted:

spent the roughly $5000 I have on videogames and consoles and PC components in the past decade.

Now I'm tempted to figure out what that number is for me but just doing a ballpark figure in my head has me terrified of knowing the truth. Maybe if I don't count PC builds...

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i like it when they add some value to purchasing games instead of just downloading an nes rom off the internet and then telling us to pay for it

something as simple as sticking a front end with global leaderboards over balloon fight would be super fun

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
In the end I'm not that miffed about pirates playing games for free. If they want to, that's OK. I'm paying for stuff I consider worth supporting. If they want to not pay for stuff they sure as hell can afford - and let's be honest here, emulation isn't going to fly on cheap hardware - well, so be it. That's their problem.

However.

What I'm not OK with are people who will crack open a system and hack online games. That's something that indirectly affects my experience of a game I purchased with my money. You gently caress with my online experience, you mess with me. poo poo like that is why PC online gaming is more or less a mess.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Not a Children posted:

loving poo poo

I want it but I don't want to buy it on a system I'm putting away

Pretty much how I feel but... it's Pikmin! 2! I want to play it now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess you could justify emulation if you can't even get a Switch. You purchase a copy of Zelda and then play your "backed up" copy on an emulator as you are legally entitled to do.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

No no, if you want Assassin's Creed 4 that was on the Wii U, not the Switch.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nephzinho posted:

Now I'm tempted to figure out what that number is for me but just doing a ballpark figure in my head has me terrified of knowing the truth. Maybe if I don't count PC builds...

Never, EVER look at your purchase history in Steam. You'll be shocked. I was.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

who gives a poo poo even if piracy was stealing its not like any of you work for nintendo lol

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

StabMasterArson posted:

who gives a poo poo even if piracy was stealing its not like any of you work for nintendo lol

My nephew's uncle works at Nintendo

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

StabMasterArson posted:

Soon goons (Stux) feel the need to morally justify it. If Nintendo cared they've had insane sales, obviously.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Tender Bender posted:

I mean cmon dude using context and common sense I'm pretty sure no one is criticizing your example.

Idk, seemed like he was being sarcastic with the "people deserve to be entertained" bit.

That said, where in the gently caress is Virtual Console, I need some Earthbound on the go.

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

Rexroom posted:

In the end I'm not that miffed about pirates playing games for free. If they want to, that's OK. I'm paying for stuff I consider worth supporting. If they want to not pay for stuff they sure as hell can afford - and let's be honest here, emulation isn't going to fly on cheap hardware - well, so be it. That's their problem.

However.

What I'm not OK with are people who will crack open a system and hack online games. That's something that indirectly affects my experience of a game I purchased with my money. You gently caress with my online experience, you mess with me. poo poo like that is why PC online gaming is more or less a mess.

PC Gaming online is not a mess. Some small titles (H1Z1, for instance) have issues because the developers dont care/can't afford a fix. With big name titles, its often console ports that have "hackers" that don't get taken care of for a while. This argument seems to come from people that don't do a majority of their MP gaming on PC.

Almost all my multiplayer gaming is on PC, and I rarely run into hackers (Currently play Overwatch, Rocket League). Though, that will change with MK8D and Splatoon 2.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Back when I pirated stuff, it wasn't about money OR morals, it was because it was a superior service. It was a choice between driving 45 minutes to the game store or just staying home and downloading.

Funny that now that everything can be downloaded legitimately, I'm going as physical as possible this round because of Amazon Prime.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Phantasium posted:

No, see you can't watch Pirates of the Caribbean on your Switch yet because Netflix has yet to launch.

Mark my words: Switch will never get Netflix

What it will get is the next gen version of these beauties:

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Rexroom posted:

Yeah I am completely indifferent on pirating but gently caress these folks

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

whaley posted:

Yeah I am completely indifferent on pirating but gently caress these folks

PC Dark Souls games have fun stuff where a guy online will hit you with a hacked sword that makes YOU gain 100 levels instantly. The server then flags YOU for clearly cheating and bans you!

gently caress those guys.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I always wonder what PC games people are playing when they talk about rampant hackers since I barely ever see hackers in any game.

I guess I ran into a single hacker in the 100 hours of overwatch I played.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

404notfound posted:

There's an argument to be made for preserving old games, but loving :lol: if you're actually trying to justify emulating Switch games at this point

There are no Switch emulators and I doubt any emulators in development will be functional for several years. Regardless, hell yes I encourage Switch emulation.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Supercar Gautier posted:

From what I've read, one of the legal lines around emulation is whether you do it via legitimate reverse-engineering or by working directly off of the company's internal documentation, and in fact one of the potential issues with cemu is that nobody knows whether they're doing the latter.

Pretty much, yeah. This distinction came up in the latest Gaming Historian video where he went over old retail emulators that anyone interested should look at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGHul1PrXCE

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Bombadilillo posted:

Soon goons (Stux) feel the need to morally justify it. If Nintendo cared they've had insane sales, obviously.

look you can either argue your point or drop it, im not going to have a go if you just dont want to have the discussion anymore, but this sniping is absolutely needless and does nothing to contribute to the thread other than make it more hostile.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Stux posted:

look you can either argue your point or drop it, im not going to have a go if you just dont want to have the discussion anymore, but this sniping is absolutely needless and does nothing to contribute to the thread other than make it more hostile.

:same:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh no poor Reggie and miyamoto whatever will they do if someone emulates the switch

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Got the pro controller right before I left for work. Played a few minutes with it, it's super great. Can't wait to get into Zelda with it tonight.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Nephzinho posted:

The build is like buying a console. If you weren't playing games you could buy a laptop that's good at browsing Twitter, composing Google docs, and reading emails. You could have bought a car or several were it not for your addiction to flickery pixels.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Empress Brosephine posted:

Oh no poor Reggie and miyamoto whatever will they do if someone emulates the switch

Continue swimming in their money like Scrooge McDuck.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
What's the point of emulating the switch if you still need joycons to feel the ice cubes clinking around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The next Miyamoto game will be a sandwich making game because he ordered a pizza that never came so he had to make a sandwich.

• Locked thread