Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

It's here! The long awaited, highly anticipated new gaming console from Nintendo: the Nintendo Switch!

This new entertainment device promises to enrich your life by being one of the most versatile game systems on the market! Play it at home, or on the go! There's a method of play for every kind of player!

Three Modes of Play!

In TV Mode, the Switch console rests in the Switch Dock and the game is displayed on the TV.
In Tabletop Mode, The Switch rests on a flat surface with its stand, allowing for more flexible play options.
In Handheld Mode, the Switch has both Joy-Cons attached to it, allowing for gaming on the go.

The Joy-Cons!

The Joy-Cons combine years worth of controller innovations into two small packages of fun! You can detach and attach them to the Switch at will, attache them to the Joy-Con Grip, and you can even forego Joy-Cons altogether by getting your hands on the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller! So many different ways to play!

Other Details!

-Console costs $300, while the Pro Controller is $70 and separate Joy-Cons will run you $90. poo poo be expensive
-Comes with a USB Type-C charger; battery life will vary depending on the games you play
-Up to 8 Switches can connect to each other for multiplayer
-A paid online subscription service is planned to launch in the fall, reports indicate that it'll be fairly cheap (roughly $17.50 to $26.50 per year)
-NO REGION LOCKING
-Has a capacitive touch screen, meaning it registers more than one touch
-Uses micro SD cards; would probably be a good idea to get a bigger card ASAP
-Cartridges are back, baby
-Specs are for losers and turbonerds that hate fun

Shut up about the console and show me the games!

If you say so!

Launch Day:

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

The biggest, most badass Zelda game ever is finally here! Live off the fat of the land and gather weapons and items as you go along your quest! Or just go straight to the end and get your rear end whupped by Ganon! The possibilities are so open to you in the biggest Zelda masterpiece yet (once dual audio gets patched in)!

1-2-Switch

The most insane launch title for the system, 1-2-Switch is all about showing off what the Joy-Cons can do! Milk a cow! Eat a sandwich! Pretend you're playing Wild Gunman! Pick up the phone! Count Koizumi's ice cubes! Around 28 different mini-games in total!

Super Bomberman R

HOLY poo poo BOMBERMAN IS BACK! Join Bomberman and seven other explosive personalities as they fight the evil machinations of Emperor Buggler and his Five Dastardly Bombers! Some people think this game looks bad but they're wrong! Buy it so we can keep Bomberman alive and maybe get him into Smash Bros.!

Snipperclips - Cut It Out, Together!

Already being declared GOTY by goons in the previous Switch threads, Snipperclips is an adorable co-op puzzle game where you cut out shapes with a friend to solve puzzles! Play with a friend in World or Party Mode, or go head-to-head with up to four other players in Blitz Mode!

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove and Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment

The smash hit indie game of 2014 makes its way to Nintendo Switch as a launch title, with limited exclusitivity benefits! Purchase Specter of Torment by itself for a brand new adventure starring Specter Knight, or buy Treasure Trove and enjoy all the currently released content for Shovel Knight (includes the main campaign Shovel of Hope, Plague Knight's campaign Plague of Shadows, and the all-new Specter of Torment)!

Other Launch Titles
-Just Dance 2017
-Skylanders: Imaginators
-Fast RMX
-I Am Setsuna

Coming Soon:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

The perfect Mario Kart game returns, only this time it features the original Battle Mode and the return of Dry Bones (and also Junior, King Boo, and the Inklings) so now it's even more perfect. Also brings back Boo and Feather (Battle Mode only) items, and lets you carry two items like in Double Dash! Launches April 28th

ARMS

Following on the success of such beloved Nintendo fighting games like Urban Champion and Joy Mech Fight, ARMS smashes its way into the Switch's line-up! Choose from a cast of varied characters and arm types, then use your springy arms and character abilities to do battle! Playable with or without motion controls! Launches Q1/Q2 of 2017

Splatoon 2 (not Spla2n, Smellissa!)

The freshest game on the Wii U gets an even fresher sequel! Use new weapons like dual pistols, customize your Inkling more than ever before, and enjoy a brand new story that takes place after the events of the first Splatoon game! Launches Q2/Q3 of 2017

Super Mario Odyssey

All this time, subconsciously, I've wanted a game like Mario 64 that rehashes the plot of the Super Mario Adventure comic, and now I'm getting it. Also you can throw your hat and it has eyes? It looks like the best Mario game ever made. Launches Holiday 2017

Other Games Coming Soon
-Fire Emblem Warriors
-Xenoblade Chronicles 2
-Sonic Mania
-Project Sonic 2017
-Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (5/26)
-Puyo Puyo Tetris (4/25)
-New Shin Megami Tensei
-Disgaea 5 Complete (5/23)
-Skyrim
-NBA 2K
-Yooka-Laylee

FAQ

Do Switch cartridges really taste bad?

Yes. Nintendo has painstakingly coated each cartridge with denatonium benzoate, making it really bitter to taste and discouraging kids from eating them. It's not toxic, but keep this in mind when you decide to lick cartridges!

Should I bother getting this at launch?

If you really want Zelda and don't mind fighting other nerds for the system, then go for it. Otherwise, it might be a good idea to wait until availability for the system goes up (which should be once Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and ARMS are out)

How do I access a different eShop region?

Here's a handy guide on how to do this,, but the long and short of it is: Make a new Nintendo Account, change the region to the one you want (Japan for the Japanese eShop or United Kingdom for the European eShop), make a new user on the Switch, and connect that user with your new account.

When's the Virtual Console service coming out?

Soon™

Is the thread title gonna be changed every 12 seconds like the last two Switch threads?

No, and if VideoGames does do that, I will politely ask him not to do that

What does Waluigi think of the Nintendo Switch?

Nintengoons Discord Server

Goon Friend Codes

Alfalfa The Roach fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/xVnk16Y.mp4

Alfalfa The Roach fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 6, 2017

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Lemming posted:

I'm getting one OP

Goonspeed

My Switch is gonna arrive in the afternoon along with Zelda, but I gotta slog through work first before I can play it. I hope everyone else has a good time playing it though

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Couple questions for Switch owning goons:

1. How easy is it to swap SD cards for the Switch before you even start it up? Do you just pop out the old one and put in the new one or are there some files you gotta put onto the new one first?

2. Does Zelda have dual audio?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

VideoGames posted:

My switch is in a box in my bag and I am just packing up to go home from work before I take it over to Lady Videogames later.

It is a really good and informative OP. Also, I only change thread titles when threads start posting really, really badly. Hopefully this one will not suffer like the last two.

I'm glad my OP has the VideoGames Stamp of Approval

I got my Switch all set up! It'll take a bit to download the update, but it looks and feels incredibly nice. Looking forward to popping in Zelda soon!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I've added a link to the Nintengoons Discord Server made by IAmKale to the OP. Come on in and join us as we repeatedly die in Zelda!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Rirse posted:

Make a new Nintendo Account (best do this on their website), but set the location to Japan for JP eshop or United Kingdom for EU eshop. Then add a new user with that login and sign in with them on the eshop to access the other region.

Do you mind if I put this in the OP? This is very handy information

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I have added information on how to access different regional eShops

Do we need to keep track of Friend Codes? I can edit the second post of the thread to keep them all in one place if we need to

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I had to fight the temptation to go straight to Hyrule Castle, but I'm looking forward to watching people head straight there for a speedrun or something

I made it to Zora's Domain an hour ago though, after much dicking around early in the morning. This game is god drat amazing

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I just made a Japanese Nintendo Account and linked it to my Switch. Now how am I gonna go about adding funds so I can get Waku Waku 7 and Metal Slug 3? I'm operating under the impression that you can't just use a debit or credit card to buy what you want, but if anyone can point out otherwise, that'd be a big help

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Zelda is absolutely not a game that you can just watch to get the same experience, you need to actually play it to understand why people are going nuts over it

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

This thread moves fast, so this may be a repeat, but YOOOO

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/839201359194828800

playtime records are in your user profile page.

This is extremely useful information, thank you for posting this

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

There's some intensely strong competition among these dogs

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Please stop replying to the bad poster.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Everyone was like "man what do they even do after Mario Galaxy" until Mario Odyssey got revealed

Have faith in Nintendo, friends

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Shut up about sales numbers and talk about Switch games!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

We're indulging utnayan so he can feel really smart

You should ignore him and put him on the ignore list so that the thread can improve

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Majora's Mask is just an expansion to Ocarina of Time, it's the same game exactly

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

koolkal posted:

VG I think we have a new thread title!!

Do this and I will destroy you

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

All I can think about lately is "why am I not playing Zelda right this second"

It's a good feeling to have

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Bomberman 64 is releasing on the Wii U VC today, if anyone wants to spring for that instead of Super Bomberman R

(I'll get both eventually)

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Holy poo poo, I didn't expect those NeoGeo games to reach America until much later. This is excellent news!

I'm gonna grab Waku Waku 7 and Metal Slug 3 as soon as I can

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I've got the PowerA Hybrid Cover coming in on Tuesday, does anyone have it and is it a good screen protector for Switch? I wanna know as soon as possible if it's any good or if I should cancel and go for the glass cover

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I'd rather Nintendo make enough to sell out rather than make too much and lose tons of money like what happened with the Wii U

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Did anyone post this? It is wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EvbqxBUG_c

No spoilers.

Dunkey is always a treat

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Jimmy Hats posted:

Ugh i bought an amiibo. My shame is eternal

Now buy Wolf Link so you can have a cool animal friend in Breath of the Wild

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

enojy posted:

Shovel Knight is the best amiibo, though.

It'll be even better once Shovel Knight is announced for Smash for Switch

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Mahoning posted:

Goons: leave your disgusting houses before applying any screen protectors.

I learned this lesson too late when I put on my screen protector today

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Adding this to the post below the OP

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Mahoning posted:

Oh, poor guys, did I make fun of your favorite internet in-joke dead horse? I'm sure the poor web comic required you white knights valiantly jumping to its defense.

You're getting pretty huffy and rude over a simple internet joke, dude

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I'm fuckin' excited for the new Sonic games coming out this year

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

apparently this one is going to have modern sonic, classic 2-d sonic and another yet unannounced type of sonic!!!!

THREE SONICS

Let's go, Sonic the Fighters

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Empress Brosephine posted:

Once you get to the womb it gets down to like 20fps. Sad.

Are you playing in docked mode or handheld mode? Maybe that has something to do with it

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I beat Zelda today. Fuckin' awesome game, still gotta go back and get all the stuff I missed

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

ColdPie posted:

If the Switch fails, Nintendo will be forced to pull a SEGA and put their games out on consoles that I actually want to own. Everybody wins.

You will never see Nintendo games on PC, PlayStation, or Xbox

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I have been sufficiently owned, good post OP

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Everyone please just add Stux to your ignore list and move on with your lives, thanks in advance

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

I'm actually kind of depressed at how well-designed Binding of Isaac is.

I make (but never finish) computer games as a hobby, and my M.O. is always to find a few simple but enjoyable core mechanics, then exhaust every possible combination of those mechanics for a factorial explosion of gameplay situations.

Isaac has this down to a tee, and I can't even conceive of ways to make it better at the things it tries to do.

Then I look at my on-paper projects and get disheartened.

On the plus side, current and upcoming Switch releases have me spending a lot more time playing games than I'm traditionally used to.

You can at least be sure that whatever you come up with won't have a gross aesthetic like Binding of Isaac does

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I'm glad Etika got a drawing of his waifu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

VideoGames, please change the thread title back to what it was before

• Locked thread