Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Someone said the official Nintendo carrying case was way too soft. I found an official one called the Game Traveler Deluxe and it's very hard. So there must be a few official ones.

I went to three stores and no one had the Hori thing where you can charge while it's in tabletop mode.

Also a nice side note is I got the official car charger. I just plugged it into my cell phone while driving home and my phone said "charging rapidly" which is awesome. I have never seen that with anything other than the quick charging wall charger LG shipped with my phone. So it's a nice bonus.

And can anyone with Shovel Knight please tell me if it is playable with the fake left d pad please?

I have no trouble with the pseudo d-pad on Specter of Torment, but on Shovel of Hope I switch to the analog stick to more easily adjust between left and right more quickly on any extended bouncing sequences, then back to the d-buttons when mostly walking. I haven't tried playing Plague of Shadows yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just had my first joycon desyncing issues. This was not a matter of unresponsiveness, but of the joycon actually turning off, me pressing a button, and feeling the vibration of it coming back on. This was while playing the Snipperclips demo so the thing was pretty much engulfed by my hand, within two meters of the console.

I'm not too concerned since I have played like ten hours of Zelda further away at a less direct angle from the console with no issue so it only seems to be a problem if I have both hands on the left joycon. But I see how a lot of people are having so much trouble.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does this thing have e-manuals anywhere? If it does I haven't been able to find the option. Bomberman could really use one because I have no idea what half these powerups do.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MoaM posted:

Sorry to interrupt the mostly-Help Centre chat, but there's a cool video trending on the Switch's potential AR qualities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOUPbSakz9M&t=231s

Just thought I'd share. Oh, and I'm personally hating the arrow keys on the left joycon, especially for weapon switching in Zelda. Usually a controller will force you to move your finger up to use esoteric buttons, rather than down. It's that the drat two-player-gameplay-out-of-the-box functionality that's making the Joycons a little less cool than Wiimote and Nunchuck.

Really? I can't think of any controller where there are buttons above the left stick(other than shoulder buttons of course).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Escobarbarian posted:

Not at my console right now but can you remove the straps from the Joy-Con enhancer things easily?

Yes. The trick, and this should maybe go in the OP, is you DO NOT press the button. You just release the lock. In the strap, you forget about the button. The reason it's so hard is because it's impossible to get leverage when you're trying to press the button. The strap doesn't use it as its locking mechanism. Just release the lock, grab the strap and joycon firmly with each hand, and slide the strap up.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22334/p/897

There's a ton of articles online talking about this on various tech sites and all of the articles are wrong and tell you to press the button. Forget about the button, that's just for detaching from the grips and console itself.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is Nintendo still offering a year or has theirs become the standard 90 days?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think they are more interested in promoting third party indie games right now than selling you old NES games. They want their new partners to have a good experience releasing games on the system and would probably rather you spend $10 on an Inticreates games than $10 on Mario 64.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there any indication how long they are going to continue Shovel Knight? I know there is King Knight and a Vs. mode coming up, but surely they have to make another game at some point, right?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

jivjov posted:

Same rom, different emulation. Buying an Xbox One game doesn't entitle you to the PS4 version; why should buying a Wii U game entitle you to a Switch version?

I would gladly buy the emulator if they allowed me to use the same roms I already paid for.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Man I just did a shrine in Breath of the Wild called "A moderate combat challenge" where I went through four bows and three fairies and like five melee weapons and won with half a heart left. Then I saw another shrine and worked my way to it, and the name of it was "A Major Combat Challenge" so I noped out of there pretty fast.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

LethalGeek posted:

Hey I just did that one too though I only burned through 2 weapons a bow and a couple foods. I took my time with it though sounds like you wailed on it.

It's more that most of my inventory was already suffering from heavy use and just outside of heavily damaged range.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don't put any wireless device directly on top of your router. There's more or less a dead zone within a foot of it because of some kind of halo effect. The best place is between five and ten feet.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I felt like I don't like Bomberman very much, but my kid keeps asking me to play it. I played co-op with my wife this morning and one of the bosses gave her a mild panic attack because there was too much going on and the music was too frenetic.

Is there any way to earn coins apart from story mode? I would like to unlock the multiplayer maps but I don't want to play more story mode unless I have to.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If your unit isn't friendly with your TV and keeps stealing focus, you can turn that off in the options.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am hoping they take some time and let more interesting and fleshed out speedrun strategies develop rather than rush one by June just to have it in the marathon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

AdmiralViscen posted:

So is there any word on whether this has a digital download policy similar to iPhone/360/PS3/PS4/One/Steam/everything rather than the poo poo one from 3DS/Wii/WiiU?

If I buy something on their store, can I redownload it to a new replacement console with just my Nintendo account without calling Nintendo customer service and filing a police report? What about two Switches simultaneously?

Yes and no. You can activate your account on any switch you want now, but only if it's not on another switch. You can also deactivate your account, but you have to do it from the switch your account is on.

So if it's broken or stolen you need to call Nintendo to deactivate your account still, but you don't need a report or anything. I don't know what proof you need that you want your console deactivated, probably just some personable identifiable information for the account you're getting off the old switch.

So it's a half step forward. It's really easy to move your account now without a complicated transfer process, and you don't have to have both Switches at the same time, but you still have to have access to the Switch your account is currently on to get it off. Hopefully they can add a page to their Nintendo account page so you could do it remotely.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd recommend Specter of Torment, it's my favorite of the three Shovel Knight campaigns so far. Other than that Snipperclips and Fast RMX are definitely worth picking up. This weekend Blaster Master Zero looks pretty sweet.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Utnayan posted:

Nintendo is at 1.3-1.5 on the hardware. They never lose money on hardware, and always make a profit on it. And especially with this console.

They didn't pack it in because it's a business and they thought it would sell and they could make more money.

I don't know why this particular myth is so persistent. The Switch is sold at profit according to Nintendo's president, but WiiU was sold at a loss, a substantial enough one that they had to sell more than one game to be in the black(Reggie initially said one game in an interview but later put out a statement saying he misspoke and it was more than that), the 3DS was sold for a loss once they cut its price. The Gamecube also was sold at a loss when they cut its price to $99.

There's two myths about console losses that are completely wrong.
1) All consoles from every console are initially sold at a loss. Not true.
2) No Nintendo consoles are ever sold at a loss. Also not true.

It's a case by case basis.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 6, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm not saying the Switch isn't sold at profit. It obviously is. They have said as much. But not all Nintendo consoles are sold at a profit. Gamers think no Nintendo consoles are sold for loss and that all Sony and Microsoft consoles are, but neither is true.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

JackDarko posted:

What's the word on the street on best Screen Protector for the Switch? Is the Hori causing over heating?

The Hori doesn't cause overheating, but the natural heat of the console makes the deluxe Hori protector bubble and peel. Funnily enough the cheap Hori screen protector doesn't have the same problem

I'm using the $10 Hori one and got a perfect application for the first time in my life, no bubbles, no dust under the thing. Seems perfectly clear. My only problem with it is fingerprints seem a lot more visible on it than on the regular screen.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Archive keeps the game on your home screen (so you can redownload without finding it in the eShop) and keeps your save data. I thought delete didn't keep your save data but guess I'm wrong.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there anyone who doesn't have a spare HDMI cable lying around?

Really it's just down to the extra AC adapter (which is $30 anyway).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

THE loving MOON posted:

I got the sheikah carrying case, and it does the job just fine. Not so much as an accidental wake-up, let alone any damage. I hosed up the application of the screen protector and decided I don't need one anyway lol

The Shiekah case ended up being a lot nicer than I thought it was going to be. I regret I already ordered a different one, because I had presumed it would be a crap build like Club Nintendo swag, but it has nice protection, straps to keep everything down, a net for accessories, and grips for game carts.

Only complaint is not enough space to put in a grip

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah, I put in two straps, a usb-C cable, and headphones. Pretty much all I need apart from a battery pack.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ChocNitty posted:

Since Fast RMX was only $20 I said F it, and got it. I liked that I could continue cooking in Zelda, and watch videos of other games in the nintendo store, and have the game download in the backround at a decent speed. Its multi tasking like a proper home console.

Quick impressions of the game. This is the first time i've had the HD haptic feedback really do something, and its crazy, the way it simulates the feel of tires on the road, and even kind of makes the sound of the tires.

The game looks really pretty, and the sense of speed when you boost is nuts. But I am horrible at the game, and online multiplayer would not connect, but I expect that to be a temporary thing. I'm gonna dock it and see it at 1080p and 60fps. This is some PC poo poo right here. But of course, its just a racing game, which is much less demanding and easier to push graphically.

BTW Snipperclips is one game you can download a demo of in the store if anyone wants to try it.

Huh. I read it has haptic feedback but when I was playing I didn't really notice it at all. Weird though that you would feel the tires on a hover car.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm about ten miles from my Switch right now and am still terrified I'm going to run into a Lynel.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

deetee posted:

This has probably been covered umpteen times, but in my brief search I found nothing. Is the pro controller worth having at this point, or does the joy-con do a serviceable job for Zelda?

In my opinion, yes and yes.

The joycon are fine, pro controller is great. Also has native PC support.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ghostinmyshell posted:

I finally found a Pro Controller. It came with a USB C to A cable if anyone didn't know.

The d-pad on the thing is kinda ehhhhh. I'll have to get used to it.

Yeah I threw that cable in my carrying case since I already had one plugged into the switch for the charge grip. I can pretty much plug this into any wall USB outlet right?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's just rumor. I think from Laura Kate Dale, whose info was completely solid up til the initial reveal but sketchy since then.

The NES classic has four or five save states per game with the option to put locks on them so you don't accidentally overwrite

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RoboFrance_29 posted:

Probably as long as it's 5V, but as others have mentioned it won't charge as fast depending on the Output Amps.

That's fine, I don't really see myself playing long enough I need to charge while playing. As long as I can plug it in while I sleep I'm good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ZhugeEX on twitter said it something 78 or 83%. I don't know where he got his numbers but he's trustworthy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bombadilillo posted:

Does that count physical and digital?

Probably not. Anytime I ask him something on Twitter I am always afraid nitpicking for further details comes off as console warrioring.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wish there was a way to make the theme different in different modes. I want black theme when playing handheld and white theme on my TV.

Though I'd also like to automatically make it black theme past 10pm.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nolgthorn posted:

I was making fun of the comparison of literally the newest aaa game on the newest console with current gen games. I dunno what you guys are on about.

But Zelda is the newest AAA game on the newest console.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

well why not posted:

You can't even use kickstand mode in 'Flight Mode' because that disables wireless control. It'd be fine on a train or whatever, but unless you're splitscreening you're probably best just picking up the Switch

Right under airplane settings you can turn the wifi or Bluetooth back on individually.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You only have to use airplane mode in takeoff and landings. Honestly not even then as they are largely just wanting you to turn your phone antenna off.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tender Bender posted:

Seriously how do you move the icons on the home menu?

They just appear in order played.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Should a fairly easy code fix on their end.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Me too but it did take a few tries to wake it with the pro controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wonder why they are taking their time releasing it in here. There's really no competition in the puzzle genre and localization must be minimal.

• Locked thread