Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

spudsbuckley posted:

Both of the Argos stores near me have "more than 5 in stock".

Nintendo stuff never really does great in Ireland anyway.
I was queueing for over an hour outside Smyths last night. Seemed popular enough. Argos is usually just a well-kept secret to nab stuff from. You can't pre-order though so you're taking a risk if you do want it Day One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

You guys, Zelda is so loving good.

I'm liking the Switch so far. I've only played it in tv mode, the joycon grip is pretty comfortable though.

I got Snipperclips last night, downloaded it no problem (followed by the Zelda patch). Haven't touched it yet though.

Might get Shovel Knight, and based on what Anidav is saying, BUMMERMAN.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Updated list of the Switch eShop drops (with prices!).

PAL update (week of March 2):

quote:

SWITCH RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    1-2-Switch - €49.99/£39.99 (March 3)
    Just Dance 2017 - €59.99/£49.99 (March 3)
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - €69.99/£59.99 (March 3)
    Super Bomberman R - €49.99/£49.99 (March 3)

SWITCH eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    ACA NEOGEO King of Fighters '98 - €6.99/£6.29
    ACA NEOGEO Metal Slug 3 - €6.99/£6.29
    ACA NEOGEO Shock Troopers - €6.99/£6.29
    ACA NEOGEO Waku Waku 7 - €6.99/£6.29
    ACA NEOGEO World Heroes Perfect - €6.99/£6.29
    Fast RMX - €19.99/£16.99 (March 3)
    I Am Setsuna - €39.99/£29.99 (March 3)
    New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - €9.99/£7.99 (March 3)
    Othello - €4.99/£4.49
    Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove - €24.99/£22.49 (March 3)
    Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment - €9.99/£8.99 (March 3)
    Snipperclips: Cut it out, Together - €19.99/£17.99 (March 3) (Demo Available)
    VOEZ - €20.99/£18.99 (March 3)
    Vroom in the Night Sky - €8.99/£7.99 (March 3)

SWITCH ADD-ON CONTENT
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Expansion Pass - €19.99/£17.99

NA update (week of March 2):

quote:

SWITCH RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    1-2-Switch - $49.99 (March 3)
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - $59.99 (March 3)
    Super Bomberman R - $49.99 (March 3)
    Just Dance 2017 - $59.99 (March 3)

SWITCH eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Fast RMX - $19.99 (March 3)
    I Am Setsuna - $39.99 (March 3)
    Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove - $24.99 (March 3)
    Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment - $9.99 (March 3)
    Snipperclips: Cut it out, Together - $19.99 (March 3) (Demo Available)

SWITCH ADD-ON CONTENT
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Expansion Pass - $19.99

NA got weirdly screwed, not as many of the Indie games and didn't get the ACA NEO GEO games either.

Regarding the ACA NEOGEO games:

quote:

The ACA NEOGEO series has faithfully reproduced many classic NEOGEO masterpieces.

Players can change various game settings such as game difficulty, and also reproduce the atmosphere of arcade display settings at that time. Players can also compete against each other from all over the world with their high scores*.

So they have Online Leaderboards and a ton of settings, apparently.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I found this in the News channel lol

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

For anyone who's interested, here's a list of games available on the Japan eShop which have English (or other languages) available. It also list dates when the games will be available in NA/PAL (if known), and the prices in Yen.

quote:

Nintendo Switch – Retail titles
  • 1-2-Switch (Nintendo): 5 378 Yen (Europe / North America: March 3rd, retail + eShop) [EN, ES, FR, DE, IT, NL, RU]
  • Disgaea 5 Complete (Nippon Ichi Software): 7 538 Yen (North America: May 23rd / Europe: May 26th, retail + eShop) [EN]
  • I am Setsuna (Square-Enix): 5 184 Yen (Europe / North America: March 3rd, eShop-only) [EN, FR]
  • Super Bomberman R (Konami): 5 378 Yen (Europe / North America: March 3rd, retail + eShop) [EN, ES, FR, DE, IT, NL, PT, RU, ZH]
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo): 7 538 Yen (Europe / North America: March 3rd, retail + eShop) [EN, ES, FR, DE, IT, NL, RU]

Nintendo Switch – Nintendo eShop titles
  • Blaster Master Zero (Inti Creates): 980 Yen (Europe / North America: March 9th) [EN]
  • ACA The King of Fighters ’98 (Hamster): 823 Yen (Europe: March 3rd / North America: ???) [EN, ES, FR, DE, IT]
  • ACA Metal Slug 3 (Hamster): 823 Yen (Europe: March 3rd / North America: ???) [EN, ES, FR, DE, IT]
  • New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers (Arc System Works): 1 200 Yen (Europe: March 3rd / North America: March 9th) [EN, KO, ZH]
  • Othello (Arc System Works): 500 Yen (Europe: March 3rd / North America: ???) [JA, EN]
  • Shock Troopers: 823 Yen (Europe: March 3rd / North America: ???) [EN, ES, FR, DE, IT]
  • Snipperclips (Nintendo): 1 667 Yen (Europe / North America: March 3rd) [EN, ES, FR, DE, IT, NL]
  • Voez (Flyhigh Works): 2 500 Yen (Europe: March 3rd / North America: March 9th) [EN, KO, ZH]
  • Vroom in the Night Sky (Poisoft): 100 Yen (Europe: March 3rd / North America: March 9th) [EN]
  • Waku-Waku 7: 823 Yen (Europe: March 3rd / North America: ???) [EN, ES, FR, DE, IT]
  • World Heroes Perfect: 823 Yen (Europe: March 3rd / North America: ???) [EN, ES, FR, DE, IT]

(Source: http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/nintendo-switch-list-of-games-with-english-language-option-in-japan/)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Drunk Tomato posted:

Hey guys heard the sky is falling and the Nintendo Switch will burn your house down and shoot your dog.

Has anyone bought fast Rmx yet? Is it good?
Someone posted saying that it's good but the online kind of sucks, there's no lobbies and when you join a race you just get dumped in right in the middle of one.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

ChibiSoma posted:

So aside from Nintendo being incompetent as gently caress, is there a reason why the Switch keeps forgetting the wifi, won't let me sign in with my NID, and has absolutely no indicators to tell you when charging the stupid controllers is complete? Or why the left controller seemed to come with a near-full charge but the right one had absolutely zero? Or why, in god drat 2017 it doesn't come with a god drat AC adapter?

Oh wait that last one's so they can scam more money out of you. Because the 80 dollar price tag on extra controllers wasn't enough, I guess.
It's connected to 2 wi-fi access points for me.

I've signed in with my NNID and created a new account and signed in with that.

You can check the joycon charge on the Controllers item in the Home menu.

Electronic devices always ship with different levels of charge??

Also it does come with an AC adapter????

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Extremely disappointed by the lack of 12Switch stories itt :(
If it was a pack in or €20 I would have considered it. It's a tougher sell at €50 when I've just dropped nearly €400 on the Switch and Zelda. I think a lot of people feel the same way.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

lelandjs posted:

Two thoughts:

1. There doesn't appear to be a way to disable Wifi but keep Bluetooth enabled. If you put it in airplane mode with the Joycons out you get a warning to reconnect the Joycons to play. Which leads me to thought two:

2. When attached to the console, the joycons do have a physical connection to the console. Huh.
Did you enable Flight Mode from the Quick Menu? Apparently you can disable different features separately from the Settings menu.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kelp Plankton posted:

How/when do you get to scan Amiibo in BotW? I tried just holding a few over the sensor and it didn't seem to do anything. I know the sensor works because I used it in Shovel Knight to read and write fine already so I figure I just need a menu or something that I haven't seen yet?
Amiibo scanning is disabled by default for some reason in BOTW. You can enable it from the Settings.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Switch keeps stealing the focus from other devices while in sleep mode on Samsung tvs

Very annoying.
I haven't noticed any problems with my Samsung tv. The Switch was connected to it all day on Saturday in sleep mode while the tv was being used for other things, and it never stole the focus.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I played a good bit of Zelda over the weekend, didn't get to play at all on Saturday but I played Friday and yesterday. It's really fun, and I've died loads (I mean, I die in Zelda a lot anyway). I'm still fairly early on but I love how open-ended it is, how much freedom you have, and just all the little things you can do. The fast travel is great, too.

Just again a bit of anecdotal evidence but I am sitting about 4-5 metres away from my Switch, have been playing with the joycon grip and haven't had any desync issues or anything. I think it's pretty comfortable too. I was playing handheld mode also for a while yesterday evening, and that seemed fine too.

I think my only complaint with the Switch so far is how bare-bones it is. I dunno. I mean, I bought it to play games, but some more bells and whistles would be nice. :v: Actually, one thing which is kind of annoying is that there are no "profiles" as such. I have friend suggestions from Miitomo but I can't see NNIDs or any information, so I don't always know who the people are. As mentioned above, cloud saves would be great too, since everything is stored on the system.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I Am Setsuna is getting free Switch-exclusive DLC in April which will add some online features. It'll let you upload your characters data, and you can have battles with downloaded characters from other people (they'll be AI-controlled though). It sounds a bit like the online features of the Bravely games, except instead of helping you, you can fight against them.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/03/setsuna-getting-free-temporal-battle-arena-dlc-april-exclusively-switch/

No idea if the April date is Worldwide, or if it'll be Japan-only first.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Is there a way to select which service you share a screenshot with? I Linked both twitter and fb but I think it's only letting me do facebook.
When you go to Share, it defaults to the service which you last used. There's an option at the top of the screen to... switch.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I've been playing Zelda for 3 days and haven't even nearly reached a dungeon yet, so yeah... I don't understand what you mean by "after Zelda".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Yeah I have played nearly every free minute I've had in the past 3 days and I still feel woefully unprepared to even encounter a one of those "dungeons". The Guardians just gently caress my poo poo up almost instantly, I feel like I need a lot more weapons/defense/experience/food/elixers/etc. Basically I'm a pussy and hate fighting anything remotely dangerous until I'm prepared.
I haven't found a Guardian since the first ones by one of the Plateau shrines, but yeah I'm basically going to be running away from them. I was hoping that bombs would hurt them (since you got bombs in that Shrine) but no such luck. If I do see one I'm going to run.

I also found a rock monster in the mountains just behind the tower in the region where Kakariko is. He one-shotted me so I just ran around him when it reloaded. Thankfully you have to pass quite close to them for them to come alive. When it happened though it was a major "WTF" moment.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

^^^^ I dunno the grip feels fine to me, it doesn't feel like a "gimmick".

parallelodad posted:

I don't know why this particular myth is so persistent. The Switch is sold at profit according to Nintendo's president, but WiiU was sold at a loss, a substantial enough one that they had to sell more than one game to be in the black(Reggie initially said one game in an interview but later put out a statement saying he misspoke and it was more than that), the 3DS was sold for a loss once they cut its price. The Gamecube also was sold at a loss when they cut its price to $99.

There's two myths about console losses that are completely wrong.
1) All consoles from every console are initially sold at a loss. Not true.
2) No Nintendo consoles are ever sold at a loss. Also not true.

It's a case by case basis.
Please don't reply to Utnayan.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

NOA are selling "replacement docks" on their online store, $30 cheaper than the standalone dock set because they don't come with the AC adapter or HDMI cable.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...oryId=cat831380

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Chernabog posted:

What's a good place to find regular arrows in BoTW? They are expensive AF.
Bokoblins with bows usually drop batches of 5.

El Burbo posted:

Beedle sells some, and Gerudo town has an arrow vendor (no idea if there's one in other towns, I haven't been to any other town...)

E: oh wait you meant find

Uh, just look for a bokoblin archer and have him take potshots at you and pick up all the arrows he misses
You haven't been to Kakariko? :confused:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

There was a lot of talk about "no e-store for the first few weeks" and it was ready at release. I think cloud backups will come within the month, before anyone can fill their internal memory (which is the real point this is an issue).
If you delete digital games, it keeps the save data. You can also "archive" games (not entirely sure what the difference there is). I do hope that they have cloud saves because it would suck if you lose or break your Switch or something. but I would not expect them within the month.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

THE loving MOON posted:

:stare: Dang, I know they shot the moon with accessory costs but that's still a lot cheaper than I expected to see this early.
It's cheaper because it doesn't come with the AC adapter or the HDMI cable. Like, if you want to use it as a second dock you have to bring those with you or buy spare ones.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Anyone got that tweet of a guy running up a hill then getting smashed by a goat in BoTW?
No but I just went looking for it and found this instead, and now I can't stop laughing.

https://twitter.com/GamersHeroes/status/838445065588482048

G O T Y (tied with Snipperclips, obvs)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'll be playing Zelda till I'm an old man and I still probably wouldn't have reached a dungeon.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

Will consoles usually see spikes in sales when specific games come out? I know I have bought a 3ds because one of the pokemon came out of them and I didn't have a 3ds at the time.
I bought a PS4 when Arkham Knight was coming out, that game ended up being bad. It was ok though because Fallout 4 was coming out not long after. Sadly that also turned out to be bad.

My final "anticipated" PS4 game will be Person 5...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I have purchased 3 (three) entire games for the Nintendo Switch, and as of today have only played 1 (one) of them.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

I had no idea 1-2-Switch was that engrossing!
I just can't get enough of Milk.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Xbox kids with no money.
Or games.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

eonwe posted:

yall breath of the wild is good
:yeah:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I think I'm going to get a Switch case after work.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

That this didn't get caught in product development loving baffles me.
There's only so much you can do to account for stupid people. The straps literally have a little "+" and "-" on them to show which joycon you're supposed to connect them to.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Spellman posted:

I agree, but I don't think getting it wrong should destroy your controller, forever
Yeah, it sucks that it seems to be messing up the rails, but again you can only account for so much when designing something. Maybe they should have found some way to prevent people putting them on the wrong way (like the way 3DS cards had a little bit sticking out to stop you inserting them in a regular DS). Hopefully future revisions will iron out stuff like this.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Harlock posted:

I would be pretty happy if they just ported over the entire Wii U library. I just wanna play Wind Waker again.
I would be pretty happy if they didn't spend their limited first party development time porting over a game which was in HD on their previous system.

I mean, even if they got someone else to port it for them, it just seems like a waste.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Policenaut posted:

The key thing is to get third party conversion studios to handle the process. Studios like Bluepoint and HexaDrive are veritable wizards at this.
I still don't see the point, I know the WiiU didn't have a huge install base but it seems like a waste. Grezzo handled the Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask ports to the 3DS, but when you look at the originals they really benefited from them.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Apparently the Switch sold 105k units in France during its first week. In comparison with the Wii, that sold 95k in its first week there. Also BOTW has about a 90% attach rate, unsurprisingly.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Please stop replying to the bad poster.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

Has anyone actually played Bomberman yet? Middling reviews on metacritic, mine is still in the wrap.
Yeah same, I picked it up on Saturday but Sunday was a day of more Zelda tbh and I haven't had Switch time since then really cause of work and other things. I got a case yesterday though and I'm away from tomorrow till Sunday so I'm hoping to get some Switching in.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

parallelodad posted:

Given that Puyo and SFII are also $40, I wonder if Nintendo maybe has a rule about minimum physical game prices?
Puyo Puyo Tetris is $30, same as PS4. SFII is $40 because Capcom are insane.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

HyperPuma posted:

uh there are dozens of people in this thread jazzed about a new lovely sonic
There are people saying that a new Sonic game looks pretty good, but are prepared for it to be pretty bad.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I got this case but haven't used it yet.

It holds games inside it also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Games makes me think I'm weird for eating lunch at lunch
I'm sure people playing Switch at lunch also eat lunch. If you have an hour-long lunch break then you have plenty of time to do things other than eating.

• Locked thread