Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Though I've seen it in videos plenty by now I couldn't help but feel this sense of wonder at putting on and taking off the joycons for the first time. The Switch feels comfortable and it avoids feeling flimsy or cheap. I love this thing already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I tried to replicate the left joycon sync issues. Sitting about 10 feet away, no problems even blocking it with my hand while held under a blanket. Did eventually replicate the issue, but only by leaving the room, moving about another 5 feet and even then only when blocking it completely with my hand. I tried closing the door to the room it was docked in and it still worked fine so long as I wasn't going out of my way to block it with my hand.

I imagine mileage will vary based on different individual systems and situations, and it would be good if they fixed the issue entirely, but for now it seems like as long as I don't try to play the Switch in a different room it won't be a problem.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Wendell posted:

Just be glad they didn't put Bastion on it!

Good point, I wouldn't want to walk in front of my dock without Reinhardt and get shot to pieces in my own home.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I like Super Bomberman R from what I've played of it. However, the game has an issue where the controls feel laggy. Not in the way that it's unplayable but for example when kicking a bomb I feel like I have to press x a tile in advance to stop it where I mean to. Other than that the game is fine. It doesn't break any ground for the series but if you've played a Bomberman game before you know what you're signing up for. Would like if they patch that input issue though.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Lemming posted:

I played BotW and now I think other games are stupid, help

I keep thinking "I should give some more time to Blaster Master Zero" but that would be time spent not playing BotW. I have not had a game captivate me so since I was a child.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
2 weeks later and I still really like my Switch. Haven't finished BotW yet and every time I feel like I need a change of pace I've had Treasure Trove and Blaster Master 0 to enjoy. Blaster Master 0 is really good and fun. The weapon upgrade system for the top down sections makes me try to play carefully instead of just damage boosting through everything, and the different weapons feel worth trying so even if I do lose a good weapon it's easy to pick one of the lower level ones for whatever situation.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Kashuno posted:

Can I post about your posting?

Also real content: Get voez if you like rhythm games. $25 isn't bad when it costs like $100+ to get all the same songs on mobile.

Voez being able to change and move around its columns is a neat gimmick and they do cool things with it visually and otherwise. It also means that sometimes even easier charts do some cool stuff so they can be worth checking out even if you have a lot of rhythm game experience.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Been playing Isaac and the Switch version feels great. The only times I've hit slowdown are when doing things like using Tammy's Head with Azazel. I skipped out on Afterbirth+ on PC so some of the new features are great like the additional, more honest stats hud. Since I've played the Vita version I wasn't sure if the portability would be worth dipping again but this is superior to the Vita version.

One way they could make it better though is once you unlock the Cellar there should be a secret way to relock the Cellar. gently caress the cellar is what I'm getting at.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Remember if you haven't played Splatoon before today that this is a sequel and mechanically it has new stuff but plays a lot like the original. If you're dying a lot you're probably playing against experienced players and that's why. When the real game comes out matchmaking will likely put you with people around your experience level after awhile.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Has anyone else playing Afterbirth+ encountered this bug? Went into this room and several different spider type enemies spawned, including the one still left in the corner. It proceeded to leap at several times the speed it normally does, hitting me as it jumped to the corner, at which point it stopped moving completely no matter how long I waited. I had also encountered this bug with the same enemy type in a Greed run the other night, but I had just assumed that maybe some new item I picked up had the power to scare spider enemies or something, but clearly that can't be the case since right now I don't have any such item.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My Switch library so far is:
Zelda
Binding of Isaac
Voez
Shovel Knight
Bomberman
1-2 Switch
Snipperclips
Blaster Master Zero

Aside from 1-2 Switch which is mildly amusing to play with my friends once in awhile, and Super Bomberman R which I feel is just good but not great, I'm having a blast with every one of these games. I especially like being able to play indies on a portable, but sometimes more resource intensive indies didn't run well on 3ds or Vita. I look forward to the Switch library growing over time, but I am having a ton of fun with the Switch already.

Also if you like platformers at all get Shovel Knight if you haven't already, you will not regret it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Get the golf game.

I have a friend who has it, sometime I'll play it with them and probably get it myself if I like it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

eonwe posted:

I won't try to sell you on it anymore, but Shovel Knight has a poo poo ton of possible hours you can put into it.

Shovel Knight is mega man, but with melee attacks. There is new game +
Plague Knight plays like...if I had to say anything, Samus? Its not exactly the same, but there is kind of a bomb jumping mechanic, etc.
Spectre Knight plays sort of like Ninja Gaiden.

the game is goddamn gorgeous. The levels are also redesigned for Plague Knight and Spectre Knight. (Spectre Knight far more so).

Also, King knight will be a playable character eventually too

Shovel Knight is Ducktales, but with melee attacks.
Plague Knight is a game where you fall into pits a lot and it's your own drat fault.
Specter Knight can be one of the best skateboarding games in recent memory depending on how you play it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Plague Knight is my favorite of the three to play because while getting used to his momentum is difficult, when things finally go right it is an amazing feeling.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

eonwe posted:

binding of isaac's art style might not be for everyone, but the game is loving sweet otherwise duder

the item interactions and sheer replayability and amount of bosses and unlockables is crazy

ive put like 400 hours on BoI on PC

To add to this, Isaac is interesting in that while the shooting gameplay is not as good as say, Enter the Gungeon, Isaac is built upon a number of risk/reward mechanics and if you are willing to take risks frequently it is very possible to get incredibly powerful, and the weak start you have makes it more fun when you get that payoff.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Nice, 2v2! I can't wait to let down all my friends.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
This looks awesome.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Infinitum posted:

Hotline Miami X Binding of Isaac :swoon:

You sneak up on the enemy mobster and stab him. He retches and spawns 2 of those little spiders, which pull out little uzis and gun you down.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Just played the first level of Mr. Shifty. I like it so far. In Hotline Miami I found it fun to stick to melee weapons wherever I could so this game is right up my alley.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i love that the first reaction, instead of not having a lovely 45 second intro, is to complain about it

i know at least 3 people that are all like "yeah i'll just start doing let's plays for a living it looks like easy money"

:allears:

The important thing in Let's Plays is to decide what niche hill you're going to die on. Not everybody can destroy their Youtube career with a racism scandal. It's important to be creative, like subtly hinting that you believe in homeopathic medicine, and then later trying to outright sell it in the middle of part 39 of Super Mario Odyssey.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
To add to the previous response, Mr. Shifty is 3.6GB. I would not have guessed that.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Enjoying Mr. Shifty so far. I'm taking it slow at the pace of about a level between Isaac runs. I don't know how long the game will be but if it stays at the level of quality it's been at so far then I'll be satisfied with it. Since Hotline Miami comparisons are inevitable I'll say that Mr. Shifty's visuals and music can't match up to HM at all but the gameplay itself is solid. Unless there's a surprise coming later you don't get guns but there are various objects you can grab as melee weapons and you can also throw them as projectiles with different effectiveness depending on what you're holding. So far the game feels a bit on the easy side since you have the teleport ability. This lets you do cool tricks like having enemies chase you into a room, teleporting back outside and ambushing them from behind. I haven't encountered any cheap difficulty such as enemies shooting you from way outside of your view. I'll have to play more to build upon my impression but if the trailer looks fun to you or you liked using melee weapons in Hotline Miami then it's quite good for $15.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Crafty posted:

I bought shovel knight : spectre of torment and I am enjoying it on my nintendo switch system. Never played any of these games before and have no idea what I'm doing, game has less tutorial than dark souls.

Have a few questions for shovel goons. Whats all the loot I'm collecting used for? Why aren't my lives going down when I die? What's the "Darkness" Meter at the top for? I'm only using jump and slash, am I missing anything? What the hells a curios? Are those bits with the wings where I die my loot - like collecting your souls in dark souls?

The loot is in-game currency that you can eventually spend. There is no lives system. You start with just jump and slash but will get more abilities later (note that you can air slash enemies by jumping, then pressing Y when the slash mark appears over an enemy or obstacle). The darkness meter is spent on abilities you don't yet have. Curios give you abilities, which you will get later. The bags are indeed your money, the amount you lose is proportional to how much you had when you died.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Shovel of Hope is the title of Shovel Knight's campaign now. I think starting with that one is worthwhile because the two that follow mix up some things that would feel familiar if you've played the original campaign, and it's easier to appreciate what they're going for if you've done that.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Rayman Legends contains most of the levels from Origins as unlocks and is also its own game with tons of content. It is a great game.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

enojy posted:

I did it, I played Isaac for more hours than Zelda. I'll probably double it by the end of the month.

Also, what's the deal with Delirium? I don't bother going for him unless I've got a pretty broken build going, but sometimes his health bar just melts from say 90% to 10%. I've fought him maybe a dozen times so far, and only once was it a legitimate fight where he didn't randomly melt.

Hush is still my favorite fight in the game. I need a real danmaku shmup on Switch.

Hush, Ultra Greed and Delirium all have a shielding mechanic to make it so that huge amounts of damage can be diminished on some level so that you don't kill them in seconds, but there are various ways around this. For one, shielding can only reduce the power of a single shot or tick of damage, so if you have something like guppy + BFF + high tear rate and you're producing tons of flies the shielding won't do much about that. Another issue specific to Delirium is that only its transformations are shielded. If you are killing Delirium quickly you probably got in a big hit on his true form which doesn't have any armor value.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I put in the first seed and the shop has no ? Item. Could the items differ on shop level maybe?

A run's seed determines what items and enemies appear of course, but if you haven't unlocked an item that is supposed to appear, something else will appear instead. What's likely is that you and the other poster have your shop unlocks in a different state which caused him to find ? and you to find something totally different with the same seed.

This also means that seed sharing experiences will possibly differ between any players who aren't on 100% save files. I think this is kind of stupid.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I don't like Shovel Knight because it's 8-bit or because it accurately or inaccurately represents the NES or whatever, I like Shovel Knight because it is fun, the right amount of challenging and has good aesthetics that come together well.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Phantasium posted:

I was about to tell Infinitum that Kamiko is coming out next week in the west now but no idea if that includes Australia.

I bought Kamiko off the Japanese eshop. It has 3 characters with different fighting styles and lets you have separate progress saving for each character. The gameplay is fairly basic and coupled with decent music and spritework, it's decent for $5.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I finally got my Switch home menu to have enough software that I can scroll over and choose to view an all software menu, that's pretty neat.

Does anyone mind giving me a little nudge as to where I'm supposed to go in Wonder Boy after becoming a mouse? I went left from the village and eventually found a heart upgrade but that was it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Keep going left until you can't go left anymore. and then go up one screen

Oh, I guess I went a different way too early or something. Thanks!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Every time I buy a Switch game physical I choose to not cut down a specific tree. Doing my part!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Dr Cheeto posted:

The people who sold their Wii U can't play Captain Toad so really they're already living in a hell they made

This is where I'm at. Every time I think I don't need my Wii U anymore I remember that I would lose access to Captain Toad and Tropical Freeze.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The Gunvolt DLC for Blaster Master Zero is good. It's free for two weeks so be sure to get it if you own the game.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I felt satisfied with Breath of the Wild even though there was so much I didn't do. I spent the first 40 hours just running whatever random way I felt like, climbing and exploring with no particular goal in mind. Eventually I decided I had had enough, did two dungeons and yesterday finally beat the game without doing the other dungeons. Not of all the content in the game appealed to me, but it didn't have to. I was very satisfied with the adventure I had.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
At e3 Nintendo announces they have a special surprise available that day on the Switch eshop. The Mother 3 theme plays for a brief moment as they unveil Urban Champion 2.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The only VC I need is all the previous 2D Zeldas released 5 minutes from now and I don't think that is asking too much.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Kirios posted:

The people who were calling the Switch the new Wii U and deciding to just wait for a sale are kind of dumb.

Good luck finding one in 2017. If Nintendo is smart they'll redirect all game development to the Switch. It's clear they have a hit on their hands.

Every so often I remember people coming into the Switch prerelease thread and telling people who preordered that we were idiots because the Switch isn't gonna sell and you're gonna be able to walk into literally any store and just get one at any time.

I didn't regret my preorder then and I certainly don't now.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

HyperPuma posted:

this never happened

I could swear it did but I'm also not going to go look through hundreds of pages of an old thread, so I accept that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
It would be better to jump into 5 rather than go play old ones because of various quality of life improvements.

• Locked thread