Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So two problems I am experiencing, likely a result of first day jitters is being unable to post screenshots to Facebook and also having some game videos in the Store freeze after about 10 seconds. Anyone have these issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Someone posted saying that it's good but the online kind of sucks, there's no lobbies and when you join a race you just get dumped in right in the middle of one.

Right but that isn't uncommon to games at release like this (see rocket league), the matchmaking and game joining will improve.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Jebediah posted:

I'm shocked at the amount of people that have the time to play Zelda on handheld mode for over 2 hours while in bed in a normal basis. Then again, I'm not normal in the amount of hours I am putting in at school /work.

The battery life issue should only become an issue when Nintendo is bullied into providing mixed media usage and streaming. It's a shame too.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The Switch scratches an interesting niche for me. My last console was a Wii and I have a top end PC with 250+ game library on Steam but wanted something for casual enjoyment versus the kind of devouring and lengthy time I spent on PC. When someone asked a page or two ago "what do you do after Zelda" I thought "I don't plan to have Zelda or has been heroes or setsuna finished before a new set of games comes out." My friend actually told me people are racing to finish Zelda on Twitch and my first immediate thought was "someone is doing the Switch wrong." In a lot of ways this is a luxury system for a different kind of use than then xbox or PlayStation. Whether that is a thing people accept will be interesting to see over the next year but you already see the clash over non-game media content availability and demands (entitlement) for as many services as can be crammed onto it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Cerepol posted:

Anyone else just enjoying using the joy cons separately?

Not so much out of a dislike of the grip (which is alright) I find myself just using the joycons. Its great being able to lounge without needing to hold my hands together while playing. Its like a realized wiimote + nunchunk without the dumb wire that got caught on everything.

I like using them separately so much that I passed on getting the pro controller

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Auron posted:

Will they be including cloud backups with their new online service?

if not lol

There was a lot of talk about "no e-store for the first few weeks" and it was ready at release. I think cloud backups will come within the month, before anyone can fill their internal memory (which is the real point this is an issue).

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

parallelodad posted:

Only complaint is not enough space to put in a grip

The interesting thing that makes this less of a criticism is that none of the major cases with any decent reviews have space for the grips. I think I saw one but it's defective with the zippers coming into contact with the device.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Nintendo's better than expected early sales are a good sign because it was an offcycle release. They get a Summer bump and the chance to increase sales through Winter if they have something special for E3. Really all they need is one big new game announcement and maybe a new peripheral for the Switch. Then Winter comes and sales usually go way up, and should considering releases like Mario. Basically the riskiest strategy they took was this early Spring release and it worked.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It did with the WiiU, it launched with asscreed and masseffect and bartman and nobody gave a poo poo.

A marketing failure gave us President Trump and a marketing failure tanked the WiiU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

For many people this is their first console or first Nintendo console since Wii or before. That Mariokart is similar to old versions doesn't matter that much when you can DLC it or simply get new adopters more interested in the device.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

They haven't sold anything close to 22 million WiiUs.

He mixed up GameCube and Wiiu sales

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

People treat their devices like poo poo. No matter what version of Guerilla glass phones use people still treat them like poo poo and destroy them. It doesn't surprise me that people are likely slamming their switch into the dock or otherwise mistreating it. I don't see how my dock can scratch the screen with how I put it in, for example.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

BambooEarpick posted:

ffffffuuuuuu.

I want a Switch but now the internet is telling me that Switches are broken as fuuuuuck. Not being able to put your save data onto the memory card sounds dumb.

You can't play Mario on it yet either how stupid ugh

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

parallelodad posted:

Is needing to move your save file especially common?

The major issue is if your device breaks and you get a new one you lose your saves

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

FireMrshlBill posted:

They should just enable cloud storage for save game uploads with the paid online subscription like what PS+ does. It just saved my FF15 saves last week when it crashed during a battle and corrupted my save files.

They said they will have other options soon, it just wasn't available at launch

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Somehow I doubt the company that showed a Mario game 10 months in advance is secretly sitting on a pokemon game.

Why not? It would certainly make a splash at E3

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Looks like Nintendo are being bullied into the mistake of adding streaming media. Too bad.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Finally a news outlet has posted a point not mentioned elsewhere: people complain that many titles are indies or cross platform. They forget that there will be new indies and cross platform games coming out every month and people will ask themselves "why get this cross platform game on PC when I can get it on switch and play it anywhere." You're not simply getting the Switch for existing games you can get elsewhere but a unique way to play the ones that aren't out yet.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Whenever you see a good deal on eBay just assume it's stolen

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

So is there a new list of Japanese store games in English language worth getting now? Updated for today?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Dehry posted:

Here's a teardown of the console by Ben Heck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpSPyW5v8r0

He starts identifying the chips and finds the 32gb system memory to be right on top of the completed unit, meaning all Nintendo has to do is swap out a small part at the end of the manufacturing process to have more internal memory.

Seems really well built. The biggest surprise was Nintendo didn't put their brand on the Chip from Nvidia.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

how the gently caress are people just randomly modding their switches and cons so soon after release and having them look like they were always there. i feel like i missed some great recent technological advancement or something.

My favorite one was when someone modded their joycons to be green and someone replied with

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I have a pro controller on hold at a store, the only one for 200 miles, someone convince me it's worth going and buying at this time of night and in the freezing cold (the hold is only one hour)

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

parallelodad posted:

How long of a drive is it

35 minutes

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

What is that?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So the good thing about this video about whether there is a pro-Nintendo bias in game reviews is that this is the one time I can say "Have I got good news for you." if you watch this and for some reason are so mad at the guy in the middle you wish he was reprimanded in some way...

Like first of all take a step back and realize how much energy you're putting into about getting mad at somebody's opinion about video games.

But then hold on because like I said before you are gonna get some good news.

Edit: "Nobody would have given a poo poo about Splatoon if it came out on PS4 or Xbox One."

Woo boy. That is some logical thinking there.

So this is the video where the guy who played a few minutes of the tutorial thinks the game is bad, right? Heard about it but been avoiding it

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

InFlames235 posted:

Yessss my Waterfield case shipped 😎😎

Congrats on your kind of ugly murse

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

People want things to fail, for entertainment purposes. The Apple Watch is a prime example and when it as a single product brought in more revenue than Tesla as a company last year there was a collective sigh of disappointment.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Those 14 dollar grips for the separated joycons are great and good for people with larger hands. They are <15 dollars too.

Also Netflix isn't an essential app anymore. In two years time they won't even have 4000 titles and their own titles are actually getting worse overall. Time to let go.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 17, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Utnayan posted:

This is not even close to true with Netflix's gains in Original content. Netflix won an oscar this year, and Amazon studios took 3. That is not even mentioning fantastic shows on Netflix such as Stranger Things, House of Cards, Orange is the new Black, and new Netflix Original Movies.

https://moviepilot.com/p/netflix-originals-2017-new-returning-guide-rumored-confirmed/4143771

Also, I highly recommend Black Mirror if you liked the old Black and White Twilight Zones.

And what about the increasing numbers of throwaway or mediocre to bad shows that fill space previously occupied by desirable films and shows no longer on the App? And what of the fact that you can binge the better shows in a month and then cancel your app?

AMC had three quality programs at one point and wasn't essential. HBO isn't essential and it has even more. Amazon isn't essential and their collection is much larger and it has its own programs too. Netflix is just becoming a higher quality than average cable television network.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 17, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I called my local GameStop recently and the guy said that there were people that show up everyday to see if a switch came in their daily shipment. To suggest there is no demand and it's just scalper derived sales is insane. People want this and they will want it more when Xbox and PlayStation bore everyone at E3 and even more still once Mario etc comes out.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

parallelodad posted:

Did you hear there's a new Xbox and it has the most graphics?

It's a great strategy they have trying to outdo each other for the title of "shittier than a PC but at least closer to the real thing than the competition!" I like that the Switch doesn't really directly compete with them in that regard because it's the standard Android "so many RAMs" drivel we hear year and in and year out

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

Also anyone with thinks Horizon is bad is kinda dumb. Open world games are really awesome right now.

Modern open world games are really exposing skyrim for the fraud and mediocre game it was and is

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Utnayan posted:

To be fair, I think people forget to realize Skyrim released in 2011 - with development that started over 10 years ago.

A lot has changed.

Now if Black Marsh launches and we see little difference (Which we won't) then lets talk :)

I didn't forget but even for he time period the problems of sameness and broken combat were evident. The fact that they will inevitably want full price for their game on switch makes them fair game

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Kirios posted:

I still really really want to play Skyrim on switch so maybe I'm broken.

What is the point given high resolution texture packs and mods on PC that aren't available elsewhere? The entire point of the game now is to look pretty and explore the same terrain and caves forever. I guess if you don't have a PC then you don't know what you're missing and it won't feel like a loss

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

I rescind my claim that boi runs well. As soon as you get an Azazel run with the tear burst item, it chokes SO bad. Really, really really bad.

Physical copy? Your own card? How are you playing it because I haven't noticed any problems with physical

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Feenix posted:

Which Amiibos do what in Breath? Is there a chart somehwere?

There are some mild spoilers that come along with the rewards for amiibos, some that people complained about before the game was released. They didn't bother me but it's worth thinking about since it's mainly cosmetic outfits, food and a few weapons

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

ihatepants posted:

https://imgur.com/a/QWNvr

Edit: IMO, the best ones are Smash Link (Epona is maxed out in all stats), Smash Zelda (Twilight bow shoots light arrows that don't take any ammo and shoot perfectly straight/don't have drop due to gravity - durability is also amazing), Smash Sheik, BOTW Zelda and BOTW Guardian.

I am pretty sure Epona is not maxed out and there are horses in the game with slightly better stats

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The Bloop posted:

I've registered three horses but never ridden around on one. I love running and climbing too much to bother

It's cool to fight on horse back or ram enemies but also that horses on auto-walk will follow established paths on their own is cool if you want to chill and let your horse get you somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

What really?!

Yea, horses autowalk along marked trails

• Locked thread