Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Walmart still hasn't shipped mine.

I had to use my vacation days to get this weekend off. If this shipment is late, I basically won't get to try out my Switch until next year. Nintendo fucks me again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Whoever decided that charging and kickstand were mutually exclusive should be loving shot :argh:

Why the gently caress do companies keep doing this

what size hole should i drill in my desk to solve this problem

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

walmart still says that my unshipped preorder is "arriving march 3", i guess they technically didn't specify which march 3

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

This is the first thing I've ever been excited enough for to preorder. Is it always like this? I thought that ordering a month in advance would be the best way to be sure I'd get one but it seems like not a single retailer is capable of basic poo poo like looking at how much inventory they have or charging a credit card as soon as a video game related thing is involved.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Do the Neo Geo games let you get into the settings menus to adjust things, or at least come with sensible defaults? I'm specifically wondering about this little option here:

In a lot of games it's just a blood/sweat palette swap, but in Shock Troopers boy does it really kick things up a notch!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Loopoo posted:

One thing that worries me is how loose and wobbly the Switch is when it's docked. I became a heart surgeon when I gently and steadily inserted the game cartridge in, the Switch still wobbled like hell. I'm pretty sure poo poo's gonna get scratched.

I think that there are rubber guides inside the dock.

Has anyone tried flinging their Switch onto the ground to find out if the screen is glass or not?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

still no switch but bomberman and zelda just came and neither cart has any sort of taste

???

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Amazon still hasn't shipped mine, it's just "ready to ship" but still has an 8pm of tonight arrival date. Good thing I used vacation time from work for today :v:

I used 3 days of vacation so I could play today and over the weekend. It's going to be a real kick in the balls if it shows up on Monday.

Also even if the screen scratches easily I'll still take a scratched up screen over using a screen protector. Oh no, a scratch, the resale value is ruined.

Edit: Those scratches don't even run straight vertically so there's probably some dipshittery involved that they aren't mentioning, like with the Joy-Cons popping off.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 3, 2017

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i guess that a plastic screen is better than glass for safety if a child eats it

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

My Walmart order just went straight from being stuck at "processing" for days to "shipped" with a tracking number and info that says it got shipped a while ago and is still supposed to arrive today so maybe there's still hope for some of us and the tracking info is just like 80 hours behind.

Also all FIVE of the $299.96 pending charges fell off my card statement suddenly so maybe I got it for free.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 3, 2017

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I'm still disappointed that I'm apparently immune to the bittering agent they put on the carts. At least then I'd have something to do with these games.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Loopoo posted:

Dunno how you guys have the balls to ever let other people touch your Switch. I ain't letting no one touch my controllers until I've got spares later on in the year. I'd just be hyper-vigilant over everything cause I'd be so scared they'd break it with their Shrek-tier coordination and finesse.

lol if you don't get carbon nanotube/ceramic composite controller protectors

drops happen

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Rirse posted:

Make a new Nintendo Account (best do this on their website), but set the location to Japan for JP eshop or United Kingdom for EU eshop. Then add a new user with that login and sign in with them on the eshop to access the other region.

So is everything Nintendo Account now and the Nintendo Network ID is just for old Miiverse stuff? Or is it still a mess of multiple logins?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Walmart remains confident that my Switch will be arriving on March 3. That's 363 days of avoiding Zelda spoilers for me...

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ah, ok. I can use a new ID though of course, right? then link my Nintendo ID to my new Nintendo account I made on the switch?

I guess it doesn't really matter since it's not like I can transfer saves or really have many purchases etc

Am I a big dumb or is this poo poo confusing to anyone else

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this poo poo is insane. I've been complaining about it ever since 3DS got Miiverse.

Note that even if you use your old Network ID and link the accounts, if you ever do a password change it will only change on one account type and you'll have two separate logins from then on. It seems like creating a "user ID" on a Nintendo Account also breaks the ability login with a Nintendo Network ID because ???

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I finally got my Switch and now I'm sitting at my desk getting it set up even though there's a tornado rolling through town.

First impressions:
-This thing is like 1/3 larger than I thought it was going to be and I don't feel like I need a Pro Controller immediately
-Full range RGB thank gently caress
-As a crazy person who likes to pack things back into their original boxes when I'm not going to use them for a while, I really like this box
-The ability to grab game updates from other local Switch users seems like a glaring attack vector for homebrew
-I immediately inserted and removed the Switch from its dock around 100 times with no screen protector just for fun

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Are the Joy-Cons supposed to shut off on their own after a certain period of inactivity, or do they just stay powered on until the Switch sleeps? It's been idling for about half an hour and everything is still on.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Less than 2 hours in and I have scratches on both sides of the bezel and I don't give a fuuuuuck hell yea.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Okay, this is going to sound insane, but is there a way to invert the motion controls in Zelda? It makes no sense when I think about it but I aim the opposite direction I mean to every time.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

guys i accidentally beat the left joycon into the right half of the joycon grip (they aren't labeled how was i supposed to know) and now the rail is kind of weird and wobbly, this is unacceptable

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I don't care if my screen gets scratched. Keeping the exterior of my devices looking pristine doesn't matter because I'm not reselling them.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

SuperMarrio posted:

I also took off my smart watch just in case the bluetooth signal caused any interference.

I hadn't even thought of this possibility but it's going to be pretty funny if this turns out to be the reason why the left side is so much more problematic despite only having a slight antenna difference.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I finally opened up Bomberman to try it out and wow, people aren't kidding about the input lag. It really is unplayable, even offline. If they can't fix it in a patch, hopefully there can be some sort of deal where owning Bomberman R gets you a discount voucher for Bomberman '94.

I also hope that Konami buys me a pony.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Is there a button combo or something I can use to pull up the home menu when I'm playing with just a left Joy-Con?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

FireMrshlBill posted:

I am also kinda mad that you cant use single joycons to play Blaster Master, maybe when they do the Pro Controller support?

I think I read somewhere earlier in this thread that you can do this if you connect the Joy-Cons as single controllers instead of a pair in the home menu, there's just not an in game option for it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I tried pairing my Joy-Cons to my PC earlier today not expecting it to do anything and was very surprised when it just worked. Played a few NES games in MAME and it worked as well as any gamepad. It shows up as two separate controllers, but that's solved by simply rebinding the controls.

JoyToKey plays with them just fine in case you want to use one as a media remote or control your web browser or something else weird.

Worked on my phone, too.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Yeah, my only experience using Bluetooth for anything before was trying to get a Wiimote working and it definitely wasn't as simple as just connecting it and playing some games.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I thought gyro aiming would be poo poo but it's not!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I think that the new Toejam and Earl looks like exactly what it's supposed to be and I'm excited to have one of the best co-op games of all time on a console that's designed around being good for local multiplayer.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I only had about 16 hours into Zelda but I just did 50 hours in a single session over the weekend.

If I do that again, I will be past the 100 mark.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Is the orange light on the Pro controller supposed to turn off when it's done charging, or is it just kind of there?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I left my pro controller plugged into my power strip overnight and the light turned off.

Thanks. It's been charging for around 14 hours and I was starting to wonder.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

That was 2/X.

I haven't played the Hamster port but supposedly it has more slowdown than the original and the audio is badly delayed.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I really like gyro aiming but I still think they should just make a gamepad with a trackball in it.

You know, like on the Pippin.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

So am I the only person on the planet who thinks that the gyro controls should have an option to invert them? I still like using them but it takes me a few minutes to adjust every time I start a new play session.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Gyro is a lot faster, especially in Zelda where the maximum stick sensitivity is still only about 1/3 of what I want.

Also it's fun.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

You can combine any food ingredient with any other food ingredients and have it work though. It's just addition.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

iajanus posted:

For a given value of the word "work", though; plenty of combinations give dubious food with the total benefit of 1 health (or less). Although sometimes you get better dubious food...

I was overjoyed when I worked out that adding rice to various things gave sushi with pretty massive benefits

You only get dubious food from trying to mix food and elixir ingredients with each other. For animals you catch, the item descriptions tell you which ones count as regular food.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's one of the most solid controllers I've ever held and I'd probably get one even if I didn't have a Switch because it works for PC too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

if only there was an easier way to take screenshots than pointing a camera at the tv

• Locked thread