Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Is the pro controller gonna be rare? I'm about to head to my local best buy to pick up my pre-order and would like one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I've been playing Zelda about 8 hours and it really is amazing. Shovel Knight on Switch is great as well. Happy I got to snag a pro controller. I love my Switch.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Nintendo needs to release Animal Crossing on the Switch so I can let my life wither both on the go and at home while I do errands for little animal people and catch bugs

I'd bet money that Animal Crossing Switch will be one of their big reveals at E3. The Switch is the perfect Animal Crossing machine and people have been clamoring for a new one ever since New Leaf. Nintendo has also been silent on the mobile app which will almost surely integrate with the game I'd bet. They also have many of the AC assets already done in HD.

Give me a new Animal Crossing, damnit.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

Whats tempting me to get the pro controller is how it will make switching even more seamless. Leave the joycons on the handheld, and just grab it and go when I need the portable.

Does it feel quality? Is it heavier than the ps4 controller? It doesnt feel like a $20 Logitech PC gamepad or a crappy see thru neon green madcatz xbox 360 controller does it?

I picked up the Pro Controller at launch (luckily the best buy i was in got like 70 of them) and I REALLY like it. I have a PS4 and XBONE and I'd put it above the PS4 and below Xbox, even though they are all similar in that they are high quality. I like that it comes with a rechargable battery as well. It definitely does make swapping to portable and home mode completely seamless.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

So are the PDP case kits not good? I picked up the Mario one at lunch but have not opened it yet. I mainly want it for the hard case.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

There have been lots of questions the last few days on what case to get. I picked this one up the other day and I love it. This is the PDP Nintendo Switch Starter Kit, in Mario graphics. It runs 29.99 and I got mine in Gamestop.

The case is a thick molded vinyl and it feels rugged enough that you can throw the Switch in a bag or something and not worry about it like one of the soft cases. It has room to hold a few accessories in there, like the included ear buds and screen cloth. It has a strap to secure the Switch and an additional padded middle section (which can store game carts) to keep the console from rubbing your accessories. I like the included screen protector as well. They make it in several designs. The kit also includes JoyCon covers, but those feel like garbage so I don't have them on.

I have one of these cases for my N3DS and its served me well for several years, so I see no reason why this won't do the same. So yeah, there you go for those wondering. I really like it!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The Switch is going to be a huge hit. Being able to play a console anywhere may sound like a gimmick, but in practice it's loving amazing.

Also, I think a lot of people who are new or coming back to Nintendo for the first time in forever are going to lose their poo poo when they see how amazing Mario Kart and Splat2n are.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

Handheld mode makes playing Zelda during lunch easy. Oh god I still have so many parts of the map to explore.

I just got done playing it on my lunch break as well, first time I took it to work. I spent 30 mins just hunting animals, climbing trees and cooking. I love this game/system so much.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

He uses a Blathers avatar for his profile, just like me, so he is a good man.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yep, Stars should look really good as it pushes the 3DS as far as it can go, and they definitely downsampled everything.

Speaking of HD assets, Animal Crossing already has them as well, spread across that lovely board game and also the fantastic Mario Kart track. Seriously, that AC track that came in the DLC was fantastic how it had four different versions, one for each season, and the scenery was great. I can't wait to play the next AC!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Somehow I doubt the company that showed a Mario game 10 months in advance is secretly sitting on a pokemon game.

That Mario game isn't already out, selling big on the 3DS. Nintendo makes some wacky marketing moves, but that's one I don't blame them for.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

I'm like 70 shrines into BOTW and I'm really not sure where they take the series from here. I'm not sure how they top this without taking it in another completely new direction.

*That's 70 shrines with 3 areas of the map I haven't even been to, with my map marked up with "hey that looks interesting" features all over the place still. I've never had so much trouble trying to decide what to do in a game (and have relegated that duty to the partner).

My wife and I have wondered the same thing. This game is pretty much peak Zelda, the realization of the original 30 year old idea. I know that some criticize the games for basically re-doing the same Hyrule locales over and over again that were originally seen in Link to the Past, but good gosh in this game the ones that you do visit are so well done and fleshed out so much that I don't see how they could really improve on it without it seeming same-old same-old, at least not for probably another 10-15 years. I've sat in awe at several places I've discovered, and I'm only like 15 hours in with one major dungeon beat!

I think the only way to go is probably do different stories in different lands, and get really crazy ala Majora's Mask or Link's Awakening. Regardless, it's amazing playing this every night.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

One last thing on my BOTW feelings- this also feels like the culmination of the last 30 years of Nintendo, especially with many of the old guard developers letting the newer guys do their thing with it, while still providing a guiding hand when needed. The developer stories already coming out are so interesting, particularly when Aonuma and Miyamoto were sold on the idea of BOTW by way of a tech demo, and Miyamoto spent hours just climbing trees :3:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

So you can now you use your Joycons and Pro Controllers with your NES mini thanks to this - http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/you_can_now_use_your_switch_joy-cons_on_your_nes_classic_mini

Now, if only I could purchase one of the loving things I'll be golden.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The Switch is pretty much the God of handheld systems, having played mine in portable mode a good amount. It will most definitely replace 3DS long term, if it starts out successful in its first year.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Kirios posted:

Why do people keep shortchanging the idea of playing games like BotW portably? That is a game changer that has literally never happened before. The ramp up from a 3DS or even a Vita is STAGGERING for a handheld.

Because they don't own a Switch probably. This really is amazing and way cooler than it sounds on paper.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

parallelodad posted:

Ehhhhh, I'm with you on Splatoon but you gotta give him Mario Kart.

Mario Kart 8 had a garbage battle mode to go along with an amazing race mode. It looks like they have fixed the battle mode and slightly enhanced the already great racing mode. It is most definitely a port, but its one with significant additions.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I picked up Blaster Master last night, having never played the original. It's badass and while it's great with the joycons, the pro controller is da best.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

It is dumb to discuss Moriarity bad opinions, but work is slow today so gently caress it. He is correct in that certain Nintendo games do "get a pass", with the evidence of Skyward Sword and to a lesser extent Twilight Princess being a good exhibit A and B. Problem is, in typical blowhard fashion, he kills his case when he decries that BOTW is extremely overrated after spending a few minutes in the tutorial and then doubling down by going further and alluding to Splatoon being trash is nuts. Had Splatoon been a PS4 game it would've been insanely big. It was still big on Wii U, which is saying something. Even when the guy is making a point that has some validity, he has to go and be stupid about it. Also, it's not like Nintendo is the only developer where these things happen. Looking at you Bioshock Infinite (just off the top of my head).

Off-topic- I want Rocket League for Switch so bad.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Gamers: It's bullshit I can't buy a Switch! Damnit Nintendo quit artificially creating shortages!

Nintendo: We will double production so everyone can buy one!

Gamers: What the gently caress is wrong with Nintendo? Doubling production, what are they stupid? They'll never sell that many!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

This may be hard for you to understand but there are more people here then "you" and "them" there are in fact at least dozens of people each with different opinions.

Oh hush, you. The discussion is fine. Just funny to me that Nintendo gets it both ways. What we really need is Colin Moriarity to weigh in on this topic

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

il serpente cosmico posted:

Just finished the forced stealth sequence in BOTW. 50 hours in, this is the only sequence I would say that's been outright bad. In a game with a clear set of rules and multiple ways to do most things, this sequence broke many of the rules set by the game, and it only really has one solution. Getting one-hit KO'd no matter your armor, health, ferries, or special ability buff is super tedious and goes against everything else in the game. There is only one good solution: Don't get spotted. And every choice you make in your approach is in service of that solution.

It isn't long or incredibly hard, but getting spotted once means you need to restart from the beginning. The whole thing felt like a joke from the devs. They really wanted everyone to see the silly enemy animation when you drop the bananas in front of them. With a small amount of tweaking, it would have been fine.

Yep, it was garbage. Going from the typical completely open ended nature of the game to that segment was jarring as hell. At least it was ultimately a tiny section.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

This is the first Direct of the Switch era and I'm pretty excited.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

That suggested games release list for 2017 is wrong because Mario will surely be their pre-Thanksgiving week release. Nintendo always goes at that particular date with something strong to bolster the holiday season, and Mario is going to be huge for them. No way it comes out in October.

Also, that list does look pretty good, assuming that ARMS isn't trash and that the e-shop/VC manages to bolster the lineup.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Nintendo is discontinuing the NES Mini. I'd assume the Unicorn Tears that go into the production of them have all been used up.

Seriously, WTF? Are they worried it will cut into eshop sales or something?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The Nintendo Switch subreddit did a thing a few weeks back asking folks to rank their most desired (unannounced) franchises/games for Switch. They dump the results today I was surprised by the level of polish...

http://imgur.com/a/hgMOX

I am happy that Luigi's Mansion scored so high. Advance Wars made a good showing as well.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Takoluka posted:

I bought a Super Famicom over a SNES simply because of the color scheme.

Enjoying dull grey over glorious purple. You have shamed your Splatoon avatar.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is that the one with a secret stunt level on one of the maps?

Yes, you could drive down a cliffside on one of the tracks and go underground to a massive stunt course. It was nicknamed Pappyland I believe. My neighbor and I spent hours and hours on that stunt course.

Rush was great. Seeing all the mini-N64 wishlists coming up this week thanks to the SNES mini rumor and seeing no mention of Rush makes me sad. It owned.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

IF YOU PLAN ON PLAYING AS KING BOO GIVE ME A HELL YEAH

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Stan Taylor posted:

No one has said Super Off Road as one of their top ten, you fake gamers. Get out. Out.

Several people have said that, Stan.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

https://corporate.target.com/article/2017/04/mario-kart#sf53851471

Some Target stores are getting Mario Kart themed carts next week.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Ivan Stewart should've been put in Mario Kart with a baja truck kart.

Also, I am jealous of you folks in this here thread that have never played MK8 and are about to do so next week on the Switch. It's amazing.

So many tracks are great but I particularly love the Excitebike and Animal Crossing ones.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Good. The grip is dumb as hell.

The grip really is trash. The Pro Controller is amazing. Using detached JoyCons is ok. Using the system in portable mode with Joycons attached is fine. Using the grip is awful.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

It's far and away the best battery on any controller I've owned, rechargable or otherwise. It lasts freaking forever.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I went digital. Had planned on getting carts of everything but the 6 gig install was small enough to where I'd rather just always have sweet, sweet Mario Kart available to me, even if my cart case is not with me.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Also, playing this on a hand held is an amazing experience. It seems outrageous in a good way, like it shouldn't be able to happen.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Let's argue about the best tracks. I mean the right answer is the ski slope level but let's still argue.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The steering assist has been great as my 6 year old LOVES the game. With its help she can dominate 50cc and all she wants to do is play more Mario Kart (this is her first video game ever). She is now working on power sliding to work her way into 100cc :3:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

LKD is having a TOLD YOU SO TOLD YOU SO TOLD YOU SO moment on twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

congrats laura kate dale for being right about like one of the many completely bullshit software scoops you championed

Yeah, this is what's pretty funny. Being right about one thing now validates all the bad stuff and everyone is stupid for having the nerve to think she was wrong again, despite being wrong a lot.

Hey, I'm not meaning to be mean. All these Nintendo rumor mongers entertain me as they give stuff to talk about...but they go nuts when people call them on being wrong, which is silly to me. If you don't want the poo poo that comes with being wrong, don't be reporting rumors.

edit- Jason Schreier is calling her on her twitter rant going on right now, and it's pretty funny. Again, I feel bad throwing shade at her because loving hell I know she has a hard time with things but man, she comes off as wildly unprofessional.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 2, 2017

• Locked thread