Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I wasn't mocking. I was legitimately asking if poo poo falling on your entertainment center is an actual worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Earth Table posted:

so uh, anyway..

I am now 3/4 dungeons through Zelda, and it's fantastic. When I'm done, what is the goon consensus on Shovel Knight vs Binding of Isaac? I've had both strongly reccomended to me by people whose video game opinions I trust.

Both are great games. I'm new to Isaac as of Friday and it's eaten me up, as to be expected by the countless "I have like five thousand hours played on Steam!" reviews. It's a twin stick shooter rogue like in a Zelda 1 dungeon setting with heavy religious themes and lots of enemies based off of poo, biblical figures, and reproductive organs. I imagine one YouTube video of any given Isaac run will tell you whether or not you'll enjoy it.

Shovel Knight is the best love letter to 8-bit platformers that could've been made in 2014 or 2015 whenever it came out. It's a little early to call it timeless, but I still love replaying the game as much as I did a few years ago for the first time. It's all great with very little filler (if any at all.)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

Do you dock your TV too? Or protect anything else around your entertainment center?

well, my PS4 doesn't have a screen that'd crack or get scratched if something fell on it.

as for my TV, I make drat sure well it's standing in a stable position and do my absolute best to secure it from falling over. That's common sense.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

They just should've made the rails something that wouldn't damage the screen. I wouldn't be surprised if the dock protectors become an official product, and possibly even get distributed for free ala the Wii Remote condom, and also get bundled with future versions of the Switch. Because you can't just have random Switchs with screen or bevel scratches caused by the product itself, and it's such an obvious problem with a possibly fun solution

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That will depend on issues with the factory sort themselves out and quality control becomes more consistent. This could linger, or it could end up like the XBox One thing chewing up disks and be forgotten in a year. No one knows at this point.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Since I could find a screen protector big enough for my TV, I just glued cellophane to the front. I never worry about the screen getting scratched any more.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

That will depend on issues with the factory sort themselves out and quality control becomes more consistent. This could linger, or it could end up like the XBox One thing chewing up disks and be forgotten in a year. No one knows at this point.

Maybe future versions of the dock will use a different material for the rails. But as it currently stands, you could bend that front panel in any way, and in the 1000s of times you take it out of the dock, one of those times might slightly graze the rails in the front and damage the screen or bezel. If they stick to that plastic, there's no way your screen won't eventually get scratched; it's only a matter of time until your friend un-carefully takes it out of the dock and grinds it up against the front panel

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And there are just as many potential drawbacks that come from the misuse of other potential designs. There's only so far Nintendo can prepare for something like that.

Leaving it open faced would just move the problem elsewhere, to be frank. I'm not saying this to discount people who are frustrated by it, but the number of bent docks is being overstated and the issue is mostly down to factory quality control, not base design.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

No. Plastic rails to guide a plastic screen device into a dock is pretty poor design.

If the screen was actually scratch resistant glass it wouldn't be a big deal.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TFRazorsaw posted:

well, my PS4 doesn't have a screen that'd crack or get scratched if something fell on it.

as for my TV, I make drat sure well it's standing in a stable position and do my absolute best to secure it from falling over. That's common sense.

Honestly, how often does poo poo fall on or around your entertainment center?

TFRazorsaw posted:

Leaving it open faced would just move the problem elsewhere, to be frank.

What problem would it introduce? Nearly all electronic devices charge, dock, rest or get used with their screens out in the open and no one cares because the chances are if something happens to fall on it, then its probably your own drat fault.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The dock is way too snug considering that you aren't actually meant to slide the device in, it doesn't need to touch the front. They're just making you play operation for no reason. This means that any leeway in manufacturing (as shown in the many people with inward tilted docks) makes a very unpleasant docking experience. It's not a crippling decision but it is poor design. I know this is the thread for people who buy Nintendo consoles on day one but we don't need to be hyper defensive of every single thing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Norns posted:

No. Plastic rails to guide a plastic screen device into a dock is pretty poor design.
This is true. The rails should have been rubber or something if the screen wasn't going to be glass.

It's a super minor issue in the scheme of things, but it is legitimately an issue.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tender Bender posted:

very unpleasant docking experience

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > A Very Unpleasant Docking Experience

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I want to buy one of these pieces of poo poo so I can play the one good game, but they're all sold out here in the UK. It's annoying.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Crafty posted:

I want to buy one of these pieces of poo poo so I can play the one good game, but they're all sold out here in the UK. It's annoying.

Metal Slug is available on many platforms, just find another.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Just finished the forced stealth sequence in BOTW. 50 hours in, this is the only sequence I would say that's been outright bad. In a game with a clear set of rules and multiple ways to do most things, this sequence broke many of the rules set by the game, and it only really has one solution. Getting one-hit KO'd no matter your armor, health, ferries, or special ability buff is super tedious and goes against everything else in the game. There is only one good solution: Don't get spotted. And every choice you make in your approach is in service of that solution.

It isn't long or incredibly hard, but getting spotted once means you need to restart from the beginning. The whole thing felt like a joke from the devs. They really wanted everyone to see the silly enemy animation when you drop the bananas in front of them. With a small amount of tweaking, it would have been fine.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

il serpente cosmico posted:

Just finished the forced stealth sequence in BOTW. 50 hours in, this is the only sequence I would say that's been outright bad. In a game with a clear set of rules and multiple ways to do most things, this sequence broke many of the rules set by the game, and it only really has one solution. Getting one-hit KO'd no matter your armor, health, ferries, or special ability buff is super tedious and goes against everything else in the game. There is only one good solution: Don't get spotted. And every choice you make in your approach is in service of that solution.

It isn't long or incredibly hard, but getting spotted once means you need to restart from the beginning. The whole thing felt like a joke from the devs. They really wanted everyone to see the silly enemy animation when you drop the bananas in front of them. With a small amount of tweaking, it would have been fine.

Yep, it was garbage. Going from the typical completely open ended nature of the game to that segment was jarring as hell. At least it was ultimately a tiny section.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Killing them all is a solution, if your good enough and/or have ancient arrows

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I completed that section without realizing there were bananas you could use. I literally just put on my ninja suit and casually walked behind them to the exit.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Lol, that part is insanely easy, you only have to get around one guy.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

You can also use the fly magic to skip most of it and get into the rafter. You can ceiling walk past all but one of the guys, and even then there may have been a way around. For the ultimate objective, that's outdoors and you very likely could just climb a mountain and go through the backdoor.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I didn't particularly like this section, but it's literally only two rooms, they give you a TON of bananas to work with, and the rest of that sequence surrounding it is pretty good.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Haven't gotten there yet even though the Switch claims I am 70 hours in but I am only 1/4 done with divine beasts. However, it sounds familiar to similar sequences in other Zelda games (OOT and WW), especially with a certain group of people. If that is the case, I will probably be doing that today/tomorrow.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

pixaal posted:

You can also use the fly magic to skip most of it and get into the rafter. You can ceiling walk past all but one of the guys, and even then there may have been a way around. For the ultimate objective, that's outdoors and you very likely could just climb a mountain and go through the backdoor.

You don't even need that, literally just climb onto the outside wall of the banana shack and then climb onto the roof and onto the scaffolding. There are multiple open ended ways of solving the section, just like the rest of the game. Thank you Shitgeru Myassmoto.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I hope that Mana collection gets released here. Lame that it doesn't include the gba remake of 1 or Legend of Mana.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Takoluka posted:

I completed that section without realizing there were bananas you could use. I literally just put on my ninja suit and casually walked behind them to the exit.

Yeah I was really confused why people were complaining about bananas.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Nice rivals.com pun

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Haven't gotten there yet even though the Switch claims I am 70 hours in but I am only 1/4 done with divine beasts. However, it sounds familiar to similar sequences in other Zelda games (OOT and WW), especially with a certain group of people. If that is the case, I will probably be doing that today/tomorrow.

The dungeons are pretty small overall. If you have a ton of hours you probably have the health and skill / knowledge from shrines to tackle them pretty quickly. I hit the second row of hearts and busted out the last 2 dungeons + Ganon in a sitting and it didn't take that long. The bulk of the game is exploring the world, find and doing the shrines. Which is cool and good.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Earth Table posted:

so uh, anyway..

I am now 3/4 dungeons through Zelda, and it's fantastic. When I'm done, what is the goon consensus on Shovel Knight vs Binding of Isaac? I've had both strongly reccomended to me by people whose video game opinions I trust.

Shovel Knight, hands down. I haven't heard a bad criticism from anyone who likes 2d platformers. I am not a huge fan of Isaac (so some bias here), but it is good too and gets praise, but not as universal as Shovel Knight. The pricing alone makes Shovel Knight worth it to me, $25 vs $40.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Lol, that part is insanely easy, you only have to get around one guy.

Yeah I'm real bad at stealth but it was really easy. You just drop a banana and run around the first guy, climb up top on the rafters, drop one from above near the guy at the door, and voila.

Also I'd like to take a moment to mention that while the dock is hella lovely cheap plastic, I don't seethe with fury at it because while it is bad, it doesn't mysteriously scratch my device or impact my life or enjoyment in any way.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Can you please talk about specific puzzles and events from Zelda in the drat Zelda thread?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm glad we all can share our wildly different opinions of the Nintendo Switch Dock in a civil manner.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I'd be down for a third party dock that uses the same spring mechanism in the usb-c port of the official dock but its a leaned back WiiU style cradle. obviously with a lip to prevent it falling forward when bumped. I would get it for my 2nd tv in a heart beat. Honestly, I haven't had issues with the official dock yet, and I have to angle it in since the dock is in a cubby in my TV stand, but I just guide it along the back of the Switch, which doesn't have any scratches either. *knock on wood*

pixaal posted:

The dungeons are pretty small overall. If you have a ton of hours you probably have the health and skill / knowledge from shrines to tackle them pretty quickly. I hit the second row of hearts and busted out the last 2 dungeons + Ganon in a sitting and it didn't take that long. The bulk of the game is exploring the world, find and doing the shrines. Which is cool and good.

Ya, with all of the cold/warm areas in the game, I have been trying to go around and find clothing instead of relying on recipes to withstand the elements. So I have definitely explored areas way ahead of the storyline.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 21, 2017

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You don't even need that, literally just climb onto the outside wall of the banana shack and then climb onto the roof and onto the scaffolding. There are multiple open ended ways of solving the section, just like the rest of the game. Thank you Shitgeru Myassmoto.

All of them involve stealth. You can use bananas or not, you can climb or not, you can use the stealth suit / elixors or not, but there's still only one real solution: don't get spotted.

And no one has explained the need for that section to break the game's own rules.

El Burbo posted:

Killing them all is a solution, if your good enough and/or have ancient arrows

The aforementioned OHKO regardless of gear, and the huge HP pool these guys have does not make that feel like a legitimate solution.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

the entire point of the game is to not lose all your hearts and see the game over screen. sickening

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Spacebump posted:

I hope that Mana collection gets released here. Lame that it doesn't include the gba remake of 1 or Legend of Mana.

Or Adventures of Mana:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuAW0DYGgKc&t=69s

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

the entire point of the game is to not lose all your hearts and see the game over screen. sickening

I don't mind dying. I've died dozens of times in BOTW. The only ones that felt cheap were in that section. The game uses death to teach you that you something about it's world: Don't equip metal in a lightning storm. Don't use fire in a grass field that you intend to stand in. Don't run out of stamina when you're climbing a cliff face. The deaths in that section teach you nothing because that section has it's own set of rules. It's poor design.

The rest of the game has been A+ for me though, which is why this felt so jarring.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 21, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All of them involve stealth. You can use bananas or not, you can climb or not, you can use the stealth suit / elixors or not, but there's still only one real solution: don't get spotted.

And no one has explained the need for that section to break the game's own rules.

The aforementioned OHKO regardless of gear, and the huge HP pool these guys have does not make that feel like a legitimate solution.

You can OHKO these guys with an ancient arrow if you want.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I like Secret of Evermore more than the Mana games. My hot take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

That part everyone hates became super easy once I realized I could just use Stasis+.

• Locked thread