Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

HorseRenoir posted:

In all fairness, turnout for special elections are even lower than midterms. It's pretty nuts that dems are pulling midterm GOP level numbers for a 2017 special election

there are also simply more republicans than democrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

SirPhoebos posted:

I too would like to know how the Democratic party let things get so dire that "contest every seat in congress" seems to be a novel idea. I can understand how poo poo like 9/11 or the Tea Party movement can blindside strategists, but it just seems so baffling that a national organization could allow it's infrastructure to atrophy to such an extent and over such a long a period.

Although to be fair I can't tell you the last time someone ran for Mayor of Chicago as a Republican, so :shrug:

it's not novel, recruiting a viable candidate is just really difficult. like most people can't take a year of their lives off to go campaign for a congressional seat they're definitely going to lose.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

the black husserl posted:

See, that's thinking based in a pre-internet age. They don't need to "campaign" for a year. They need an intern with a camera, a Twitter/Youtube account, and a loving personality. That's it. It's about building a national brand, not turning the liberal 20% of nowheresville, MO into a winning majority.

what % of people in a district do you think read twitter or youtube? like virtually 0, even in this brave internet age. if you want to reach voters, you have to spend money. if you want money, you have to do stuff and prove you are actually going to put up a real campaign instead of a vanity operation.

a candidate that does nothing during their campaign but put out snarky tweets is a waste of time at best and a liability at worst. the reason why we need a candidate in every district is 1. to suck up money from safe seats so incumbents have to spend on themselves 2. to build a bench for future runs, either in district or statewide, and 3. build a local base of activists who are professionally trained and understand how to win elections. just putting a face on the ballot doesn't help at all.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

get that OUT of my face posted:

if the DNC were smart, they'd realize that they made gains in Georgia, Texas, and Arizona in 2016 and figure out ways to mine dissatisfaction with the GOP there

yes, clearly no one has thought of this before

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i'm pretty sure georgia house district 131 existed prior to 2012? i suspect it looked a lot different since the dems gerrymandered the map in 2000 very hard

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

LolitaSama posted:

okay theres just no wiki or ballot pedia on it that lets me know who was winning it before 2012 , maybe i could look somewhere else

https://ballotpedia.org/Georgia_House_of_Representatives_elections,_2008

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

Nate Cohn‏Verified account
@Nate_Cohn

The GA-6 in-person early vote is done.
Today: D 35, R 43
Over all: D 41.1, R 40.8 with 54817 votes counted

RIP.

that's hardly "rip"

https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/853052529378250752

https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/853053326107316224

we'll see how election day turnout ends up (it will likely be bad for dems) but dem is performing very, very well in ev. gop typically has strong edge in this district

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the only thing you can point to there in ossof's favor is the partisan breakdown relative to 2016

also

https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/853054306349719557

well the composition of the unaffiliateds is pretty important, but the thing there is that in GA the unaffiliated = people who have never participated in a primary before. those are surge voters, and more likely to be democrats than republicans. the revily poll gave ossoff 63% of early voters (fwiw since it's not a great poll).

predicting tuesday is a fool's errand, imo. there's no way to know for sure what's happening without counting the votes given the uncertainty about turnout, but the idea that this race is over is just wrong. the ev is very good, and gop turnout is still dramatically underperforming.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

pretty sure that's just listing which primary someone voted in last if they did so, not party affiliation overall

ga is an open primary state

yes that's what i was saying

i mean look at the ev comparison between 2014 and 2017

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/853052281792671748

if dems are voting like this is 2014, and gop is voting like it's a primary, then that's the ballgame and ossoff will hit 50%. so there's a lot of reason for dems to feel encouraged by ev (but again, still vast amounts of uncertainty re: outcome)

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 19:09 on Apr 16, 2017

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

sounded like you were saying that people who've never voted in a primary are considered unaffiliated in ga which is ridiculous

ok idk what you're arguing about. i am talking about michael mcdonald's graph of ga-06 ev, a state with no party registration. i am saying the people in gray, unaffiliated, are likely strongly dem leaning.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
tbh really low turnout is probably what ossoff wants today, he's going to get rocked on election day voting

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
you just gotta believe

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

its going to be insanely close lmao

believe in magic

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
You believed too much.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Outright is still possible though. If e-day turnout isn't great in these GOP areas. Just a bit too much enthusiasm earlier

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Yeah probably done now

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
ossoff will miss the runoff by exactly 1 vote, which he could have cast had he lived in ga-06

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
48.6 ossoff

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
basically turnout on election day was far too high for ossoff's substantial early vote lead to withstand. he would have been looking for 150, it's gonna be like 185-190. a giant pile of lazy republicans reluctantly went to the polls

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Zikan posted:

remember that karen handel is a martha coakley level of walking failure for republicans, don't underestimate her ability to gently caress up a sure thing

this is true, also i think voting twice requires a level of enthusiasm that the gop may not be able to muster. moreover, handel has to consolidate support from a lot of candidates - including diehard trumpers that hate her for distancing herself from the donald. the blanket election was basically 50/50 between dems and gop, the run-off could go either way even if handel consolidates support perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

new phone who dis posted:

Rs always circle the wagons in the end.

Trump won by 2 and the congressional won by like 20 points so this seems obviously false

• Locked thread