Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mr. Nemo posted:

What I got from the movie is that only America is a shithole. You go one step into Canada and its an idyllic place where mutants are an everyday fact and no one is bothered by them. They probably have wild tigers roaming the streets too. Great depiction post-Trump's America.

Did anyone catch Holbrook's character's first name, towards the end? It's Donald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah that is an awful suggestion for how this could've ended. That eradicates a lot of the character journeys. Much better the way it was.

This is one of the few superhero films where 'film' takes precedence over 'superhero'. Lower stakes, few explosions, lower-key setpieces, slower pace. It's got more in common with something like Unbreakable than most of the other X-Men films.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They're shown to be pretty effective on-screen, I don't see what was hard to understand about that.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I think they mean the climax of the film,, which is predicated on 'if he concentrates on someone's mind hard enough, he can kill them'. Cerebro allowed him to do it to the whole planet when he was being manipulated by Strykers son, I don't doubt that unplugged he could take out a city block.

He pauses an entire museum and carries on a conversation in X2. It's not a huge stretch to think he could do some serious damage if he had a stroke or heart attack that caused his powers to go crazy. Even moreso if he was plugged into Cerebro when it happened.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don't think they were attempting to look like Excalibur so I'm not certain this is an honest comparison. It doesn't look like "The King's Speech" either, should I post a screencap of that and act like it means Logan isn't good?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, Logan looks really cool. They were trying to evoke stuff like The Wrestler, not Excalibur. Which I said before, is kinda dishonest.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Excalibur totally rules but just be warned it is very, very long.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Pretty much every blockbuster is around 2.5 hours these days so that's not a big deal

True, but the pacing is quite different to modern fare. It's not glacial, but can definitely feel slow at times. Logan is 3 minutes shorter, but I don't think anyone would disagree that it feels shorter. Older movies have different pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's spelt 'anime', I thought you'd know how to spell that.

• Locked thread