Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Always shoot all dogs on sight, saves time because they're always bloodthirsty assholes trying to bite you.

Croccers posted:

Oooh you're going to enjoy the chase in the crappy car instead of taking the slightly less-crappy car Ralph was trying to teach you to steal and take.
Also this. But considering how damaged it's going to be when he reaches the motel it probably won't make much difference. It's going to be so painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This game is strikingly and frustratingly "realistic" in the weirdest places. Reloads throw away all the bullets you had in there? Sure. Authentic old cars with authentic no engine power? Yep.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Clunky as poo poo cars, speeding tickets, a map that apparently doesn't cover all of the play area, ammo-wasting reloads, and basically no checkpoint system... and it's still somehow the best game ever, because it's the only game where I've ever seen a cop walk into the front of a parked car, and injure himself, prompting a city-wide lethal force authorization against the car's occupants.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

...it's the only game where I've ever seen a cop walk into the front of a parked car, and injure himself, prompting a city-wide lethal force authorization against the car's occupants.

Hey, they strived for realism.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

While driving, you can use the radar to see if a cop is nearby (blue blips) when they're not you can speed accelerate slowly all you want. Just be ready with those brakes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When a friend of mine lent me this game, this is exactly the spot I got up to. Restarting the shootout after the last guy gets away was just a "nope, never playing this again" moment.

oldskool posted:

e: :laffo: :krakken: I thought that was legit for a second.
I feel like I missed this, but I probably just forgot whatever it is you're talking about.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I distinctly remember having a hard time with the upcoming driving chase section. You may have also screwed yourself by deciding to take the worst car with you as well. That thing is awful.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Our next episode will be this Friday, everyone; Amy's been really sick all weekend, and she's still recovering.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I distinctly remember having a hard time with the upcoming driving chase section. You may have also screwed yourself by deciding to take the worst car with you as well. That thing is awful.

Well, we might go back and just grab the better car before driving into oblivion again, I suppose. The general consensus seems to be that yes, my car choice was horrible. :-P

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 4 is up now! Also, hey, it's Pete and Amy!

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Mafia's commitment to realism is incredibly annoying, but it does make for fun times when you get to drive a really really fast car.

The big yellow lines on the radar are streetcars. Cops are thin blue lines, I think.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You don't really need the map outside the city as the roads there are so simple the compass is enough. :v:

But surely someone would spot the obvious race car on the normal streets and the rumor would be all over town within the hour?

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 18, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Poil posted:

But surely someone would spot the obvious race car on the normal streets and the rumor would be all over town within the hour?
In a town where some random guy who got his car run into instantly recognised the leader of one of the two crime families? I think everyone knows to keep their mouths shut when they see something weird.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Goddamn that first car chase. I felt like i was getting a stitch watching it.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

You pulled that hot rod into the garage with about 30 seconds to spare, hot drat.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I forgot that the racing mission was this early in the game. Gonna be some salt mining in the next episode(s).

Hafl
Mar 17, 2009

Why yes, I am a crazy cat lady.

Inferior posted:

Mafia's commitment to realism is incredibly annoying, but it does make for fun times when you get to drive a really really fast car.

The big yellow lines on the radar are streetcars. Cops are thin blue lines, I think.

If there's one thing Mafia does really well, it's progression from lovely cars to decent ones to completely insane ones in the postgame.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

pedrovay2003 posted:

Part 4 is up now! Also, hey, it's Pete and Amy!
I WARNED YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I did like seeing you having fun opening up with that racecar. But geez, what they're expecting of you. You're no race driver!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The race coming up is easily one of the worst parts of the game from what I remember.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
If they're playing it patched it gives you a difficulty selection just before you start the race. If not, well...:unsmigghh:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In the unpatched version there is an exploit where you can leave the track to a service road, and when the game attempts to respawn you, it drops near the finish line, reducing the length of each lap by a half or so. Back in the day it was the only way I was able to beat that stupid race.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Croccers posted:

If they're playing it patched it gives you a difficulty selection just before you start the race. If not, well...:unsmigghh:

Yeah, we got the difficulty option, and holy hell, did we use it. The episode should be up later today, and I was actually in a legitimately bad mood after recording it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

And some people claim video games doesn't make you aggressive. All you had to do was follow the drat train CJ!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I think the race took me two attempts on the unpatched version, which means it's one of the tougher mandatory racing missions I've played in an open world game.

(guess who used to always have to do the races in these games when my friends were having trouble with them :negative:)

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

pedrovay2003 posted:

Yeah, we got the difficulty option, and holy hell, did we use it. The episode should be up later today, and I was actually in a legitimately bad mood after recording it.
PC misses out on an extra mode. The PS2/Xbox releases got a Grand Prix mode.
You are gonna do Free Ride Extreme right?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Welp, part 5 is up now. This is the angriest I've ever gotten at a video game; a LOT of our time doing this race was edited out. We're so quiet during that part of the episode because I was so livid at the time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Those nipples looked like slices of pepperoni.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Tommy's a gangster pokemon, the only word he can say is 'Mafia'.

I beat the race in the unpatched game, without difficulty levels. The only strategy that works is to take the lead at the start and then never make any mistakes, else the other cars will ram you and cripple your engine. Took me about a dozen attempts, and I'm still not sure why I bothered.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You should have titled the thread "Oh my god! Let's play Mafia!" :v:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeah, that's... that's that race, all right. And that's how everyone reacts, I'm pretty sure. Funny thing is, while frustrating, it wasn't the thing that almost made me ragequit the game, though; that part is still coming.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Samovar posted:

Those nipples looked like slices of pepperoni.

Racist.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Fine, slices of chorizo. You happy?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Rarely these days.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
As Tommy recounts his murder-drenched sexual escapades, the Detective calmly and unflinchingly adds about a flask and a half of Irish Courage to his coffee. Somewhere in the back of his mind, he silently prays that FDR wins the upcoming election, and he can someday retire.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The "what the gently caress just happened" at the start of the race appears to be that car you "tuned" blowing its engine at the starting line, causing the AI cars behind it to crash into it. The rest of the wrecks I can't tell if they're the AI sticking to a racing line regardless of what car(s) might already occupy it or if it's the AI maliciously hunting you down to ram into you.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 6 is up now! The end of this episode is hilarious.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Now there's the real Mafia experience right there! :allears: Oh where would games like this bee if it didn't have such shifts in tone between narrative and story?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
When the ticket/handcuffs/weapon is dimmed out, the cops don't know where you are and if you duck them long enough you should be able to evade it. Can be hard but eventually it should go away--at least, for tickets. Not sure about weapons-related wanted levels.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You ignored the guy shooting at you from the right to walk forward around a corner to kill the guy on the left who couldn't hit you from the first position. Twice. Pal, it might not just be the game that's bad. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

You ignored the guy shooting at you from the right to walk forward around a corner to kill the guy on the left who couldn't hit you from the first position. Twice. Pal, it might not just be the game that's bad. :v:

Eh, I got past it. :-P

• Locked thread