Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Ah yes, the game of "driving slowly and obeying all traffic laws." I beat this back when it came out and still to this day sometimes boot up Free Ride with no cops, go to that park near Salieri's, and snipe cars going under the overpass. To blow off tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm so glad this game allows you to react scenes from the Keystone Kops so easily.

Also, I'm beginning to see why this was never as popular as GTA.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

sfwarlock posted:

Ah yes, the game of "driving slowly and obeying all traffic laws." I beat this back when it came out and still to this day sometimes boot up Free Ride with no cops, go to that park near Salieri's, and snipe cars going under the overpass. To blow off tension.

...You can turn off the police? Holy crap, we might have to do a bonus episode at the end now.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 27, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

pedrovay2003 posted:

...You can turn off the police? Holy crap, we might have to do a bonus episode at the end now.

Only in the sandbox mode!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

pedrovay2003 posted:

Part 6 is up now! The end of this episode is hilarious.

The bit where you got in to the back seat of the car was amazing.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

pedrovay2003 posted:

Yeah, once you've beaten the game once on a given savefile, it unlocks that option in Free Ride mode.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

The bit where you got in to the back seat of the car was amazing.

I had no idea that that was even a thing that I could do. I wish that a fellow Mafia would have just called me a moron and started driving, or something.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

pedrovay2003 posted:

I had no idea that that was even a thing that I could do. I wish that a fellow Mafia would have just called me a moron and started driving, or something.
You might be the only one with a license.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I will admit I busted out laughing when you stepped out with your gun drawn. Is there ever a situation where that's a good idea?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Poil posted:

You might be the only one with a license.

Not just anyone can drive a car with another person inside of it. You need special training to do that. You need to be... a taxi driver.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Kibayasu posted:

Not just anyone can drive a car with another person inside of it. You need special training to do that. You need to be... a taxi driver.

Sounds like a market ripe for disruption!

Mafia: the uber ride from hell.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
You guys should edit that last bit and give it the silent film treatment. It was basically Keystone Kops.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

MeatwadIsGod posted:

You guys should edit that last bit and give it the silent film treatment. It was basically Keystone Kops.

Ha, a silent film style would work well with this game, wouldn't it?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 7 is up now! This is the most excitement that we've experienced since we started!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Jesus this game looks like a chore to go through.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Samovar posted:

Jesus this game looks like a chore to go through.

Don't worry, it's by design, as noted rear end in a top hat Dan Vávra, the lead developer of Mafia said:

"Mafia is unlike GTA. Recently I tried playing GTA again, and left with a reinforced conclusion that the differences are rather big. Mafia has a far more detailed plot, and the whole structure of the game is adapted to serve the plot. While in GTA you drive around the town like a madman and your only goal is mayhem, in Mafia your tasks are much more complex, you visit varios locations, talk with people... And all of it is realistic. The only thing we share with GTA is the big city setting."

About the ability to run over people and cause destruction outside the scope of missions: "It's technically possible, but it shouldn't become the core of the game for our players. The police is quite annoying, and and anybody who wants to progress further than the second mission will be forced to avoid [unnecessary carnage]."

This is a game for mature adults, not your babby's GTA :smug:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Dan Vávra posted:

in GTA you drive around the town like a madman and your only goal is mayhem
I do? It is? I thought the big selling point of open world games like GTA was that you can play them in whatever way you like (I tend to play GTA and its ilk pretty sensibly and focus on the plot, because I got sick of mowing down random civilians 15 years ago), but I guess not.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 8 is up now! Paulie needs to learn how to stay alive better.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh, early attempts at trying to address ludonarrative dissonance in games, you so clumsy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I can't believe you didn't immediately realize it was supposed to be a dramatic rooftop chase last episode. It should have been totally obvious with that kind of exit. Trying to guess where you're supposed to go is another matter though. :v:

As dumb as all the giant arrows and quest markers we have these days are it's not so bad when you see this kind of annoying crap with having to run around blindly and trying to guess where the objective is hiding.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Signposting that is both effective and unobtrusive is the secretest black art of game design.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

I can't believe you didn't immediately realize it was supposed to be a dramatic rooftop chase last episode. It should have been totally obvious with that kind of exit. Trying to guess where you're supposed to go is another matter though. :v:

As dumb as all the giant arrows and quest markers we have these days are it's not so bad when you see this kind of annoying crap with having to run around blindly and trying to guess where the objective is hiding.

I think the total lack of any actual action after we ended up on the roof threw me off. :-P And yeah, I think I've just been spoiled by games telling me where to go, so it's nice to figure stuff out naturally for once.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Samovar posted:

Oh, early attempts at trying to address ludonarrative dissonance in games, you so clumsy.

If you mean the priest scene that's a pretty classic Italian mobster cliche, not some attempt to address player actions vs narrative. Mafia 1 is actually pretty good in that regard in fact.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Frank: "Tom, we, the Mafia, are quite upset about your last job that you did for us, the Mafia. You killed too many people, but also not enough people! So here is a new job that you have to do for us, the Mafia: Kill a man, and then kill a prostitute, and then blow up a building."

Tom: "I understand. I will do this mission, and kill only the people you told me to kill, but also ten more people than you told me to kill, minus one, plus about seven cops, and then about an entire funeral's worth of extras, who just so happen to be the people I killed too much or not enough of in the last mission you, the Mafia, gave me."

Frank, later: "Good work killing too many or not enough people, Tom. Your new mission is to marry the barkeepers daughter, or I'll have you murdered for drinking too much."

COMPLEX CINEMATIC NARRATIVE GAME!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You can't even pick up a medkit and give it to Paulie? Jeezus, Tom, Kirby can do that, and I'm not sure he technically has arms.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

What sort of mafia thinks shooting up a church is OK?

Poil posted:

See also: Mirror's Edge.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Tiggum posted:

What sort of mafia thinks shooting up a church is OK?

Apparently, Morello's. Our mafia guy was just returning fire!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The mafia never shoots first?

Tiggum posted:

At least that had the button to point you towards where you were supposed to go and the red stuff. Of course that doesn't help if you still manage to get lost and keep failing jumps over and over which I totally never did. :v:

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 9 is up now! This became much easier after we redid the first section to make Paulie not a dead man.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nice subtitle cutoff: "Hey, we gotta let him know as soon as possible. He lives in a house in Hoboken. Could you go and war him?" :v:

A shortcut worthy of the mafia. But it looked a little tricky to navigate and while that fence of death made it more dramatic watching you get stuck revealed a slight flaw.

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 8, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Poil posted:

while that fence of death made it more dramatic watching you get stuck revealed a slight flaw.
Understandable though. I'm pretty sure I got stuck in a similar situation in Saints Row 3. Or maybe it was 2. Either way, a more recent game than this one.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 8, 2017

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
A Chrysler Airflow is a bit of a booby prize considering it was one of the most notorious failures of the 30s.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's an interesting shortcut. I guess you have to be taking it at speed to not tip over onto your front end?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

That's an interesting shortcut. I guess you have to be taking it at speed to not tip over onto your front end?

Yeah, that's pretty much the rule for every single car-related thing in the game. If you have even one wheel a millimeter off of the ground, you're getting stuck. Better to just floor it.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

pedrovay2003 posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much the rule for every single car-related thing in the game. If you have even one wheel a millimeter off of the ground, you're getting stuck. Better to just floor it.

Which in this game means "45mph downhill," so basically just turn off you console and go outside.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 10 is up now! It looks like we got hit with a copyright claim in this video of a game that barely has a soundtrack, so we apologize if there are any ads thrown in your faces. We're planning on uploading a fixed version soon.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh. So you actually end up having to take on the city, huh? I suppose you'd have to, to be a real big man in the Mafia.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

pedrovay2003 posted:

It looks like we got hit with a copyright claim in this video of a game that barely has a soundtrack
Belleville is all the soundtrack you need :colbert:

(well, that and the other Django Reinhardt track I don't remember the name of... oh yeah, Cavalerie. That's it.)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

You know, while foot cops CAN ticket you, they have to catch you. You can ignore them safely unless you need to stop nearby.

edit:

Samovar posted:

I like how the subtitles acknowledge and ignore stuttering in the same set of dialogue.

The subtitles are probably the script given to the VA. Stuff like stuttering is cued/suggested but up to the director and VA to adlib properly. I can almost guarantee they didn't transcribe the actual lines delivered since even some of Tom's lines don't quite match what he says in places (and maybe didn't want to look like assholes to people with stutters by over-emphasizing it).

I mean, there's a LOT you can knock this game for, but that's almost a nonentity.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I like how the subtitles acknowledge and ignore stuttering in the same set of dialogue.

• Locked thread