Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I remember playing this game on the PC alot when it came out. It seemed pretty good back when it came out and the mechanics where you kind of had to appear to follow the law made it pretty different from GTA III and stuff, also I remember really liking the story as I had a thing for mafia movies back then.

Before viewing this I imagined it not having aged well at all, and it seems I was absolutely right. I do remember the impossibly frustrating chase sequences and shoot outs, especially when you get checkpointed with low health, I think I was once checkpointed with super low health just before a shootout happened and I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find out how I could possibly move in order to not die in the first second upon loading up the game (which I remember taking quite a long time at contemporary computers) which was just incredibly infuriating and somehow I played the game to the end (guess I enjoyed it somehow, I don't know, less games back then maybe).

I remember there being a whistle button. I don't remember if it catches people's attention but I used to just whistle at people in front of me before blowing them away.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I was going to ask why do you never shoot the chasers during the Lose The Tail stuff but then that Loony Toons chase happened.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Randarkman posted:

I do remember the impossibly frustrating chase sequences and shoot outs, especially when you get checkpointed with low health, I think I was once checkpointed with super low health just before a shootout happened ...

The other game I was playing around this time was Call of Duty (the original) and that had the alternate problem. Take two steps, quicksave, look round corner, get shot, quickload, throw grenade round corner, quicksave, take two more steps, shoot a Nazi, quicksave etc.

Then they came up with regenerating health if you just took cover for five seconds, which was worse...

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

sfwarlock posted:

The other game I was playing around this time was Call of Duty (the original) and that had the alternate problem. Take two steps, quicksave, look round corner, get shot, quickload, throw grenade round corner, quicksave, take two more steps, shoot a Nazi, quicksave etc.

Then they came up with regenerating health if you just took cover for five seconds, which was worse...

I actually ran into the same problem I had in Mafia in the original call of duty. I would obsessively quicksave that game, but I don't think I ever really made other manual saves than the quicksave, which meant I only really had that one quicksave. It was perfectly possible to quicksave just moments before you were shot, which happened to me quite often, especially when I played through the game on the highest difficulty (which gave the enemies pinpoint accuracy and meant you would often die from 1 or 2 rifleshots, also that the enemies threw grenades all the time). My stupidity and obsession with the quicksave button made my experience of that game so much worse it was ridiculous.

The first Call of Duty was a great game when it came out. I especially remember the sound quality and design being amazing compared to most other shooters I had played around that time.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 11, 2017

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Randarkman posted:

I actually ran into the same problem I had in Mafia in the original call of duty. I would obsessively quicksave that game, but I don't think I ever really made other manual saves than the quicksave, which meant I only really had that one quicksave. It was perfectly possible to quicksave just moments before you were shot, which happened to me quite often, especially when I played through the game on the highest difficulty (which gave the enemies pinpoint accuracy and meant you would often die from 1 or 2 rifleshots, also that the enemies threw grenades all the time). My stupidity and obsession with the quicksave button made my experience of that game so much worse it was ridiculous.

The first Call of Duty was a great game when it came out. I especially remember the sound quality and design being amazing compared to most other shooters I had played around that time.

I did that exact same quicksaving thing in Half-Life 2. I figured I was no chump, why would I go into a bunch of menus to save when I could press a single button instead? I backed myself into plenty of corners doing that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Let me tell you about the system of rotating mid-battle quicksaves I used for playing through Serious Sam TFE and TSE on Serious difficulty....

Actually I think Croteam expected you to do that, or it was something they added in the HD releases because they knew it was a good idea, because you can set how many quicksaves you wanted the game to keep before overwriting the oldest one.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I thought the thread title was kidding, but this is impressively disorganized crime.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 18 is up now! There was only some rage in this episode, and there was even a surprise ending to a mission!

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

pedrovay2003 posted:

Part 18 is up now! There was only some rage in this episode, and there was even a surprise ending to a mission!

Re: sniper mode: if I'm right it didn't work because the rifle you had wasn't scoped.

Re: hiding weapons: You can't hide two long guns at once. If you do something that makes the game do it (like switching from a rifle to a handgun while you have a shotgun hidden) it just drops one.

Re: ending: that mission has multiple endings. You found a new one. Usually there's either a shootout at the airport or if you manage to cut him off from getting into the airport you chase him until he goes off a cliff.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

sfwarlock posted:

Re: ending: that mission has multiple endings. You found a new one. Usually there's either a shootout at the airport or if you manage to cut him off from getting into the airport you chase him until he goes off a cliff.

I found the lightly-tap-his-bumper-to-death ending.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

After seeing 18 episodes of the shittiness of the design of this game, I'm beginning to understand why Tommy wants out.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So it took like four attempts to kill a mafia boss' right hand man, but only one to kill the boss himself? Morello was not using his resources very well, was he.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Momomo posted:

So it took like four attempts to kill a mafia boss' right hand man, but only one to kill the boss himself? Morello was not using his resources very well, was he.
On the contrary, if everyone goes after the right hand first making him as unkillable as possible protects both and means he doesn't have to replace his right hand all the time. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 13, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Poil posted:

On the contrary, if everyone goes after the right hand first making him as unkillable as possible protects both and means he doesn't have to replace his right hand all the time. :v:

Whatever you say, Leon.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Me and a friend once tried to set fire to gasoline using a lit cigarette (like a few liters in a barrel). Didn't work even when we tried a couple of times. A lit match worked wonders though, lit the whole thing up straight away.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 13, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Me and a friend once tried to set fire to gasoline once using a lit cigarette (like a few liters in a barrel). Didn't work even when we tried a couple of times. A lit match worked wonders though, lit the whole thing up straight away.

If I remember correctly, the ash deposit of a cigarette makes it very hard for it to actually light liquids on fire.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
That's because you're not igniting a liquid, you're igniting the vaporized fumes coming off the liquid. Likely what happened with the barrel is that the ash shielded the vapors from the lit part of the cig for the second of exposure it had, then it was immersed and snuffed out. A lit match is obviously more energetic and exposed.

On pavement, you're more likely to keep part of the lit cig from being submersed and it has a better chance to ignite the fumes.

Also, not doing the lucas bertone sidequests anymore? Skipped 2 in a row.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

OAquinas posted:

Aren't the cars he gives you a lot better than the other cars you get from the stuttering mechanic?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Samovar posted:

If I remember correctly, the ash deposit of a cigarette makes it very hard for it to actually light liquids on fire.

I vaguely recall the Mythbusters trying this, and determining that, as cool as it looks on film, it's actually very hard to light a trail of gas with a cigarette.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Poil posted:

Aren't the cars he gives you a lot better than the other cars you get from the stuttering mechanic?

Considering the game typically just wants you to take a car and stick with it the whole mission, it seems pretty pointless to learn how to steal a bunch of different cars.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Momomo posted:

Considering the game typically just wants you to take a car and stick with it the whole mission, it seems pretty pointless to learn how to steal a bunch of different cars.
But as part of the mission you get to go and steal one for your garage, don't you?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, I realize that we haven't been doing them; I'm usually just so frustrated by the time it offers one up that I'm completely out of energy. We'll do the next one it suggests.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

pedrovay2003 posted:

Yeah, I realize that we haven't been doing them; I'm usually just so frustrated by the time it offers one up that I'm completely out of energy. We'll do the next one it suggests.

That's fair. Pretty sure these were the worst missions in the game.

...either that or I've blocked out the trauma of what's to come. Guess you'll find out!

hitty
Mar 4, 2013

I'd argue the ''worst'' mission is yet to come. The hardest parts are definitely behind you, though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hitfreezy posted:

I'd argue the ''worst'' mission is yet to come. The hardest parts are definitely behind you, though.
The dock mission is easily the hardest and I was wondering when the thread was going to get to it. It's not clear from the video but if you've played the game, you will remember that almost all of those crane towers are full of guys with Springfield rifles who are of course dead-on shots the majority of the time. Back when I played this originally it was frustrating as hell because it was very unclear what you were supposed to do. I'm pretty sure I cleared out the entire area and then went around trying to determine how to break into the building. In addition, as the video shows, you get immediately pinned down to start the entire area and there is a guy programmed to come around to your right immediately and start shooting you. You have like 2 seconds to be ready for it.

The story at least picks up more from this point until the very end.

hitty
Mar 4, 2013

You can actually blow up both the snipers simply by shooting the rolly things below them (no idea what they are).

I think. I checked and apparently I'm not making this up. I didn't know about it til years after playing the game though.

hitty fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 14, 2017

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hitfreezy posted:

You can actually blow up both the snipers simply by shooting the rolly things below them (no idea what they are).

I think. I checked and apparently I'm not making this up. I didn't know about it til years after playing the game though.

Holy hell, that would have saved some time. And it would have provided some much-needed satisfaction at that point!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure "you lucky bastard" referred to that guy's repeated evasions of assassination attempts.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

I'm pretty sure "you lucky bastard" referred to that guy's repeated evasions of assassination attempts.

Ah, yeah, I guess I can see that. The timing of it was just ridiculous.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

pedrovay2003 posted:

Ah, yeah, I guess I can see that. The timing of it was just ridiculous.

Yeah, especially if you've been beating your head on that mission for two hours I can see how it wasn't fresh in your mind.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 19 is up now! This was kind of an interesting departure from a lot of the other missions in the game.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Why? Why was there a piece of balcony that breaks? Simply to say 'gently caress you' to the player?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Samovar posted:

Why? Why was there a piece of balcony that breaks? Simply to say 'gently caress you' to the player?

...yes? Half this game is about figuring out new ways to piss off the player. Or at least I hope it was--otherwise hooo boy, it was badly designed.

Car offered for that mission was the Lassiter Appolyon
Lassiter V16 Appolyon 2,500 kg 230 HP (170 kW) 110 mph (175 km/h) Sixteen cylinder 7413 ccm Three speed

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

OAquinas posted:

Car offered for that mission was the Lassiter Appolyon
Lassiter V16 Appolyon 2,500 kg 230 HP (170 kW) 110 mph (175 km/h) Sixteen cylinder 7413 ccm Three speed

As awesome as it would have been to have a car that fast, I think I'd constantly be too worried about getting a ticket to use it. Video games are fun, aren't they?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

pedrovay2003 posted:

As awesome as it would have been to have a car that fast, I think I'd constantly be too worried about getting a ticket to use it. Video games are fun, aren't they?

Mafia: the game of shooting people and desperately avoid speeding tickets

...there may have been some communication breakdown during planning sessions.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It could have been thematic choice, remember that Capone was taken down for tax evasion, not the murders.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

OAquinas posted:

Mafia: the game of shooting people and desperately avoid speeding tickets

...there may have been some communication breakdown during planning sessions.

No, that part of the game was on purpose. It may be a bit awkward but it's a deliberately absurd contradiction. The mafia will put a lot of effort (in this case, that "effort" is quasi-forcing the player to behave responsibly in an open world driving game) into putting on the appearance of following the law - no speeding, legitimate businesses, etc - so they can perform incredibly illegal and violent acts without drawing attention. Here you are going to break into an abandoned prison, murder a dozen people, assassinate a politician... but you better not speed on the way there, otherwise the police might get annoyed and you'll be late!

Also it is entirely possible to puncture the fuel tank and lose fuel, along with things you've already noticed such as the transmission breaking, because the cars do have, for the time, very detailed damage modelling. From what I can tell one the bullets fired at you when you were driving away from the prison the first time must have hit your fuel tank.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

OAquinas posted:

Half this game is about figuring out new ways to piss off the player. Or at least I hope it was--otherwise hooo boy, it was badly designed.
The "gently caress you player" kind of difficulty was very common with European (especially UK) computer game developers back in the day because they didn't want their games to be criticized for lack of challenge. Many developers had grown out of that mindset by 2002, but judging from this game Illusion Softworks wasn't one of the studios who got the memo.

edit: I'm pretty sure Mafia was picked as Game of the Year 2002 by the Pelit magazine (and/or its readers) here in Finland, so I guess we were still into that kind of design at the time.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 18, 2017

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

It could have been thematic choice, remember that Capone was taken down for tax evasion, not the murders.

THERE'S a sequel that needs to happen.

EDIT: Mafia 4: Hey, He Didn't Fiiiiiile!

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

pedrovay2003 posted:

THERE'S a sequel that needs to happen.

EDIT: Mafia 4: Hey, He Didn't Fiiiiiile!

Be the mob accountant.

• Locked thread