Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you want Tommy to go on death defying car chases all across town with lots of shootouts, press one. If you want Tommy to keep doing the Don's taxes, press two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Press X to pay carried interest.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Another alternate mission ending:

If you drop your guns before leaving the jail, the cops will search you then leave you alone.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Driving on the sidewalk: :unsmith:
Driving 41mph on the street: :siren:

hitty
Mar 4, 2013

sfwarlock posted:

Another alternate mission ending:

If you drop your guns before leaving the jail, the cops will search you then leave you alone.
Even better,

if you kill the worker at the start and hide the body there will be no cops at all. Incidentally, if you kill him and don't there will be a lot more.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Hitfreezy posted:

Even better,

if you kill the worker at the start and hide the body there will be no cops at all. Incidentally, if you kill him and don't there will be a lot more.

Agent 47 's come a long way.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Part 20 is up now! Mafia: the game that's work.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 22, 2017

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

:psyduck: Why? Why any of that?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I can see them wanting to break up the combat with something a little slower but even that is taking things too far.

The second game riffs on this with one mission early in the game; the game tempts you to walk away when you're ordered to load a truck at the docks and even if you stick with it Vito will eventually say 'gently caress this' and refuse to pick anything up.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The game that's work where you randomly die!

If this is intended to make you want to rob a bank or something, missing accomplished?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Man, I don't remember the game being this terrible.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I dunno, I mean it makes sense that there would be an unfair boxing match in a Mafia setting.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Following simple instructions 101. :v:

Oh, man. That freaking warehouse guard stun lock bullshit is inexcusable.

I think one of the workers was running away after you knocked out the piss guard which means he probably saw you. No idea why they all come running and shooting after doing it supposedly properly though. Maybe because you got into the truck which triggered some "trying to leave with wrong boxes so guards should chase" script. No idea.

Either attempt the piss hit or just finding a good defensive position and trying to shoot them all. All of them. Even the boxes.

Poil fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 22, 2017

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
I love the moment in mafia 2 that lampoons this mission. The main character quits after placing a couple of boxes and tells his foreman to shove the job where the sun don't shine.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

'Don't make money and not give your boss a cut' is like the 2nd rule of Mafia

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Every time someone bitches to me about leading-you-by-the-nose objectives (and other things, like big glimmering targets around important locations) I think about missions like this one.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

I dunno, I mean it makes sense that there would be an unfair boxing match in a Mafia setting.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 21 is up now! This episode starts off EXTREMELY satisfying.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Steps to a successful Bank Heist, by Paulie:

1.) Go to the bank during an ordinary day. Talk in a low voice about how you're going to rob everyone while still inside.
2.) Get a fast car that has no roof, to lower wind resistance
3.) Rob the bank the same day, in the same clothes, with nothing to hide your face
4.) Hope your boss doesn't notice?? I have no idea what they're going to be doing after this, since Salieri would not like his guys just robbing a bank on their own.

I see why Tom keeps him as his Best Buddy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I think the weird thing in Paulie's room is a font? It used to be a thing in Scotland among Catholic families to have a font so you could cross yourself proper.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah. That and bathrooms in some older tenements were communal. Which is actually a thing making a comeback in some segments of NYC since the rents are too damned high--you can save 600-800 a month by getting a studio sans sanitation.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

OAquinas posted:

Yeah. That and bathrooms in some older tenements were communal. Which is actually a thing making a comeback in some segments of NYC since the rents are too damned high--you can save 600-800 a month by getting a studio sans sanitation.

Holy crap, seriously? Maybe it's because I'm not in a situation that requires an expensive New York City apartment, but I don't think I'd be willing to give up the bathroom.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

pedrovay2003 posted:

Holy crap, seriously? Maybe it's because I'm not in a situation that requires an expensive New York City apartment, but I don't think I'd be willing to give up the bathroom.

Yeah, it's not exactly something catching fire--a lot of people feel like that. Still, it's an option you can find in at least Greenwich or East Village.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So are we basically doing this because the boss sent us to rob diamonds and is paying us like they were cigars?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

He did say we had earned a nice bonus for the job so he probably did pay, almost, for diamonds.

Also considering Tommy left the prostitute and the accountant whathisname go free instead of murdering them as ordered, he's kinda throwing boxes in a glass house about it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Tom had no issues murdering a bunch of people to steal some boxes of what he thought was just expensive tobacco but had a conscience when it came to offing a hooker (who's boss and bodyguards he had just finished murdering) and a trusted friend who betrayed him...

I think he may be more upset at the Don not being honest with them instead of him not getting a proper cut. He even said to Paulie that they had plenty of money.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 22 is up now, and holy crap, it's the end of the game! That was unexpected!

This isn't the last episode, though; we're going to go on a city-wide rampage next time to finish out the series. Thanks again for everyone who stuck with us this whole time!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Nice. Amazing how the Mafia was able to book that entire very large museum for the afternoon and make it completely empty aside from their 30-odd guys. Wonder what the placard read. "Tuesday: lecture on renaissance realism, 3PM. Wednesday: Private Family Event <all day>"

...makes you wonder, were they going to have a convention after whacking you? Does sam normally travel with a couple of dozen heavily strapped goons? I mean, he's certainly been shot up enough to want the protection, but geez.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Where the heck was this game made? Hungary? The Czech republic? I cannot place those names for the life of me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Samovar posted:

Where the heck was this game made? Hungary? The Czech republic? I cannot place those names for the life of me.
This one and the first sequel were made by a Czech studio

also I would just mention that the epilogue of the game is recreated in Mafia 2, although I felt like it was recreated kind of poorly.

I still love this game even if it's dated and the gameplay is messier than I remember. I think a lot of that is just more of what I was used to with PC game design back then.

Arctos
May 10, 2008
Another little hidden detail: Before heading for the museum you can visit Yellow Pete's gun shop again to make things a bit easier for you.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

OAquinas posted:

...makes you wonder, were they going to have a convention after whacking you? Does sam normally travel with a couple of dozen heavily strapped goons? I mean, he's certainly been shot up enough to want the protection, but geez.
Same reason he sent in the least armed people first and in groups, instead of just throwing all of them at the same time and opening up with half a dozen tom guns to gun down Tom.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Final credits song (in polsy, because there's a bunch of mod-related videos & I don't want to spoil anything you guys might use)
https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6UObaJndqBo

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

FlamingLiberal posted:

also I would just mention that the epilogue of the game is recreated in Mafia 2, although I felt like it was recreated kind of poorly.

I donno it pretty much unfolded just like that in the sequel; same people, same car, same house even. Though Joe looked a lot less bulbous that time around. I wonder if they had always planned on that or if it just happened to be a happy coincidence.

Based on the comments in the video I'm going to assume the hosts haven't yet played it so I don't want to spoil what happens at that point in the game but even then it felt like a pretty crappy thing to do and marked a significant shift in the game's story.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Oh hey, I've got the best idea! Let's set the climactic battle in an art gallery! It'll symbolize all the collateral damage to the city done by the mafia fighting each other!

And let's have Tommy trust Sam even though it's clear that the only way the Don could have figured out about the bank job so fast is if Sam told him!

And let's have Tommy held at gunpoint for the cinematic, then get out of it! Somehow!

And let's have Tommy rant on and on about the cigars but never mention that the cops were threatening Frank's family!

And then let's have Tommy killed in the epilogue after the player worked so hard to keep him alive; I've got this great speech for the VA to deliver as he dies!

Oh, and wait till I tell you about this great gangsta rap song I want to use for the credits? What? It's a game about gangsters, isn't it?

(Nice stunlock on Sam at 30:55, though.)

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 29, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The people who made this game clearly watched Goodfellas, since the plot of this game is pretty drat similar. The Don is clearly supposed to be like Paul Sorvino's character, Paulie is clearly based on Joe Pesci. Due to his final scene, Sam is a lot like Robert DeNiro's character (except DeNiro was not working for his boss when he started killing off everyone).

Story wise, it shares the similarity of mobsters killing each other after a successful heist, and then the main character turning state's evidence and going into witness protection.

also Tommy Angelo is voiced by Michael Sorvino, son of Paul Sorvino.

I just finished Mafia 3, and while the gameplay is pretty repetitive, the story is arguably the best in the series. I appreciated that they finally resolved the end of the story from Mafia 2 which was never completed because the publisher got greedy with their DLC and I guess never finished it.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 23 is up now, ending our Mafia playthrough. It was quite a trip, and maybe we'll play more of the series in the future, but for now, I need a break from all forms of driving. I hope you enjoy this final sendoff, and Amy and I thank you for sticking with us yet again. We'll be back soon with more fun to be had!

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It's kind of impressive how much the "free" mode hates you and likes randomly ending the game if you do anything to attempt to stray from the very rigid paths they have set up.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Things I have done (or seen done) in Freeride:

Go over to that park near Salieri's next to the tunnel. Snipe at gangster cars going through the tunnel with the 1911. After crashing around a bit, they'll get out and try to pathfind to you on foot. Pick them off with the Tommy or the Model 27. Go down, get their cars. (You can do a combat roll off the edge of the wall to avoid falling damage.) Park them up there, repeat. Once the parking lot is full, go buy some molotovs/grenades from Yellow Pete and blow up the whole lot.

(Which is also a bug: you can also skip the reloading animation with a combat roll.)

Drive around just pulling over and shotgunning random gangsters. Unfortunately the ones on foot only carry Tommy guns, you need to get the ones in cars to get other guns.

Hang out by the hospital offering free high-speed lead injections. Heal right there as needed.

(This was not me.) "Celebrate" being dumped for a blonde by buying a knife from Yellow Pete and driving around at night knifing blonde women.

EDIT: Oh, and: find the door in Oakwood that unlocks all the prototype cars. (I forget where it is, the info's on Gamefaqs.) Run wild with those.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Even the anarchic game mode was so... dull. Thank heaven you never need to worry about speeding in a game again.

• Locked thread