Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Xenoveritas posted:

It's kind of impressive how much the "free" mode hates you and likes randomly ending the game if you do anything to attempt to stray from the very rigid paths they have set up.
Hey, it's more free than the normal game. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoonigan_neil
Feb 25, 2014

You never really needed to worry about speeding though. As long as you have momentum and avoid crashing the moment the cop lights up his gumball machine, you're gone and off scott-free within a couple of blocks. If a chase actually does evolve, rubber banding is easily combated by driving past light poles and juking into oncoming traffic.

In my mind, the game ages poorly with controls and sign-posting, particularly in the foot sections and especially with gun play. Is there a switch somewhere? Do I have to walk up to a painted door? Is that lock breakable? Additionally, having this massive, beautifully architected sandbox of a city with virtually nothing to do in it in the main story is such a waste. That was probably half the reason to barrel past every police car you found, because only a good chase would break the monotony of the countless drives out to Hoboken and back.

That said, the story was pretty darn good for the time, and this game was directly responsible for turning me on to Django/Gypsy Jazz back in the day. I also really like the interpretation of realistic pre-war driving physics. Keep in mind now, these massive landyachts were all riding on rail thin bias-ply bicycle tires at the time, and had next to nothing in the way of suspension dampening or brakes. You start off with severely underpowered Model T's and Chevrolet 6's, and work your way up to the Cadillac 16's and Buick 8's with no real improvement to the handling. To me that's part of the challenge as well as the fun. The race with it's swing axles and snap-oversteer can still go gently caress itself though.

Free Ride Extreme was a neat concept- extra content in the form of insanely anachronistic and overpowered unlockable hot rods. However, some of the challenges are just so damned unfair, and this is coming from someone who habitually golds Gran Turismo license tests. There's one where you're in a V16 Caddy with a hole in the gas tank, and you need to make it across the map stopping at each gas station within a time limit. If you're not using a joystick then you're guaranteed to waste all your gas on the first hill and you're pretty much screwed. Another mission recreates Speed, where you're in a truck that explodes if you go under 30mph... yeah, good luck at that. The worst bit is that once you start a mission, you either complete it, or fail Free Ride Extreme entirely. Also, you're given a sweet ride, but boy you better take care of it, because once you bend the rims there's no fixing it.

Anyway, enjoyed the LP! Thanks for taking the time to suffer through a classic, euro-hard PC game on the thread's behalf!

hoonigan_neil fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 31, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's kind of funny how in the end the bank job didn't really mean poo poo. Tommy let people live when the boss said to kill them.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I think the bank job was kinda the 'final straw' for the don and the rest of the organization. Tommy was good earner and was loyal enough that he usually did what you asked but his increasingly insubordinate behaviour eventually got him labeled as a liability and they decided to deal with him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I thought that when Sam tipped the Don off on the bank job that led to them looking into Frank and the wife's friend and finding out they were still alive. Although the friend was just plain stupid because she came back into town. Frank would have been a lot harder to track down, being in Europe at that time.

But clearly the Don felt that Paulie being involved in the bank heist was enough to warrant his death.

One thing that this game gets wrong after reading a bunch of stuff about the actual Mafia is that Tommy would never directly meet with the Don since he is pretty low level. Typically a Soldier like him would report to a Capo who would report to the Don or another person under him. Like in Goodfellas, where Henry works for Paul Cicero (a Capo) directly.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought that when Sam tipped the Don off on the bank job that led to them looking into Frank and the wife's friend and finding out they were still alive. Although the friend was just plain stupid because she came back into town. Frank would have been a lot harder to track down, being in Europe at that time.

They found out when the wife's friend came back, and then they tracked down Frank. There's maybe two-three days between when Paulie first mentions the bank job to his death, not enough time.

quote:

But clearly the Don felt that Paulie being involved in the bank heist was enough to warrant his death.

Not just involved, remember; he planned and set up the whole thing and drew Tommy into it.

quote:

One thing that this game gets wrong after reading a bunch of stuff about the actual Mafia is that Tommy would never directly meet with the Don since he is pretty low level. Typically a Soldier like him would report to a Capo who would report to the Don or another person under him. Like in Goodfellas, where Henry works for Paul Cicero (a Capo) directly.

It's a really close, tight-knit, and above all else small Mafia family maybe? (Seriously, they have more soldiers in that last level than they appear to have in the whole rest of the game combined. )

Also, remember that the whole game is what Tommy is telling the police detective in flashback - maybe he's implying a closer connection to the Don so he's more likely to get help. He also tells him "I hold a high position" in Salieri's organization, but that's silly. I'd suspect Sam was their caporegime and it was only a couple times Tommy interacted with the Don directly.

Speaking of the 'help' Tommy got - Mafia II (set in Empire Bay) shows Tommy's execution, and it's implied Empire Bay is pretty close to Lost Heaven (one character says something about going to Lost Heaven to settle some affairs before fleeing the country.) Other side of the US, huh?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Could also be that Tom got in on the ground floor, as it were, and while Salieri was able to expand his interests he never updated the org chart to change Tom's direct report?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Maybe Tommy did a lot of other jobs off screen, and the only ones we see are those that involved directly working with Salieri. Which is odd given how much this game loves its tiresome minutiae.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

White Coke posted:

Maybe Tommy did a lot of other jobs off screen, and the only ones we see are those that involved directly working with Salieri. Which is odd given how much this game loves its tiresome minutiae.
Well the game covers 1933-1938 so probably yeah. There are some time skips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

White Coke posted:

This is what I was thinking, too. Every once in a while, there's a pretty big jump where we don't see anything.

• Locked thread