Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In the unpatched version there is an exploit where you can leave the track to a service road, and when the game attempts to respawn you, it drops near the finish line, reducing the length of each lap by a half or so. Back in the day it was the only way I was able to beat that stupid race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

pedrovay2003 posted:

...You can turn off the police? Holy crap, we might have to do a bonus episode at the end now.

Only in the sandbox mode!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Samovar posted:

Jesus this game looks like a chore to go through.

Don't worry, it's by design, as noted rear end in a top hat Dan Vávra, the lead developer of Mafia said:

"Mafia is unlike GTA. Recently I tried playing GTA again, and left with a reinforced conclusion that the differences are rather big. Mafia has a far more detailed plot, and the whole structure of the game is adapted to serve the plot. While in GTA you drive around the town like a madman and your only goal is mayhem, in Mafia your tasks are much more complex, you visit varios locations, talk with people... And all of it is realistic. The only thing we share with GTA is the big city setting."

About the ability to run over people and cause destruction outside the scope of missions: "It's technically possible, but it shouldn't become the core of the game for our players. The police is quite annoying, and and anybody who wants to progress further than the second mission will be forced to avoid [unnecessary carnage]."

This is a game for mature adults, not your babby's GTA :smug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You are truly becoming a Youtube mafia.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also I've just remembered one thing Mafia does well - it has very good crouching animations, and crouching deaths. Many games just fail to capture the reality of what it's like to crouch.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also I've just remembered that if you ignore a foot cop, he can run to a phone box and call reinforcements, at which point you won't be able to shake them off so easily. So from what I remember, if you anger a lone cop, it tends to be safer to run him over before he can try to raise an alarm.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FlamingLiberal posted:

I played through this game 3 times and had no idea that was a thing

I'm thinking that the cops would despawn unless you hang around for too long? Because I never had that happen.

There are small phone booths at various street corners, which are not just for decoration - they can be used by a patrolling cop who is close enough. Then the wanted status jumps to a higher level. I have no idea what the odds are of it actually happening, but I have vague memories of learning about it the hard way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm the sharpie sign for Pepe's Restaurant.

• Locked thread