Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you live in your parents' basement ever?
Yes
No
OP, I don't think I've ever truly lived :(
View Results

• Locked thread
MissKeewi
May 19, 2013

Interesting topic. I'll chime in.

My parents had 2 boys and one girl, but divorced when we were all kids. I was the girl and the youngest and ended up living with Mom until about 24 or so, while my brothers lived with my Dad. All three of us ended up living in our Dad's basement until we were in our late 20s. My brothers were kinda goony, now I think about it. No girlfriends, video games. Well, at least one of them is a major gamer, the other one actually likes hunting and fishing more. They might have been kicked out, but as for me, I never got to live with my Dad since my parents divorced when I was 4 so he and my step-mom invited me to live in their finished basement while I went to school when I was in my middle 20s. At 27 I finally couldn't stand the idea of never experiencing living alone at least once, so I moved out into a super cheap studio I could barely afford (I had just met my now-fiancee and knew it would be my last chance) and lived with the crack whores and dudes wailing with withdrawals for 9 months before moving in with my boyfriend. Actually, it was great. Real close to bars downtown.

Living in a basement was ok. It was never too hot because the swamp cooler was down there and cranked up to try to cool upstairs. It got cold in the winter so I had a space heater on most of the time. Spiders, beetles and centipedes galore. I'm not a gamer but I definitely live on my computer and when I moved into that room, it was the first time I got to hook up my computer in my room instead of using my Mom's computer in her bedroom, or use mine out in the living room when I briefly lived with my best friend. Also, I actually got to throw my first party down there. My stepbro would throw them all the time when he lived down there in his teens/20s so there were left-over black lights and a half decent sound system on the computer. Plus a pool table and my own bathroom.
It was kinda nice living there, until my step-bro's toddler came over and stomped/ran across the house all day. I was working grave yard during the holiday season one year, too. :gonk:

The only reason I lived with my parents was because I couldn't afford to live on my own working for less than $11/hr and trying to get at least a C average in college. (paying it myself, save for the scholarship almost everyone got in my state). I tried living with my friend at 21, but couldn't afford it and had to move back in with my Mom. Yeah, my brothers were probably taking advantage, but I made an honest effort. All 3 of us are shy, responsibility phobics so moving up the ladder wasn't easy for us. Thankfully, our parents were great to live with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread