Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The best part of this game, besides all the murder, is how it starts you out thinking "man this is so over-the-top it's gotta be satire, there's gonna be some twist coming up where it turns out that your CO was behind it all the whole time and you've been part of his plans with your reckless disregard for police procedure and human life" and then the game says nope and pulls a hard turn into earnest right-wing fantasy fiction where the human rights activist was actually a conniving criminal who fled to Mexico and now the President himself has authorized T-Zero to take back the streets with their automatic shotguns and helicopter gunships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rorahusky posted:

Man, this game and Metal Wolf Chaos feel like they're cut from the same cloth of Patriotism so blatently over the top that it ceases to be unnerving and becomes /absolutely hilarious/

The thing is that Metal Wolf Chaos is a game about the President of the United States battling a villainous coup perpetrated by his VP by piloting a GIANT ROBOT into anime superbattles. The premise is inherently ridiculous and the layer of over-the-top patriotism enhances that precisely because it's completely goofy. Meanwhile Urban Chaos: Riot Response is about, essentially, an increasingly militarized SWAT team being given carte blanche to go around solving problems guns-first because of urban crime/terrorism while namby-pamby civil rights activists try to stand in their way with dastardly conspiracies to undermine our boys in blue, and one of these cuts a little bit closer to home.

Lunethex sort of briefly touched on this in the first video but this game came out in 2006, so about five years after 9/11 and six years into the George W. Bush presidency which was a time when people were earnestly holding up Jack Bauer as an inspirational figure and nothing was a step too far to keep Merica safe from terrorism, and even when I first played it back before Rocksteady would go on to make a name for themselves with Batman, I was never quite sure whether it was supposed to be satirical or not. I mean you'd think so, yeah? It certainly has a lot of the hallmarks. But at the same time if it's satire they play it remarkably straightfaced the whole way through, and I don't really want to spoil anything but I'll say that there were several places in the game where I thought a telegraphed plot twist was coming that didn't. Or I thought the satire would grow just a bit more ridiculous so you could tell hey yeah, they're actually making fun of this, but it still remains kind of, I dunno, muddled in places? I do think it's incredibly hilarious how this game has if anything managed to become even more relevant now 11 years after it was first made.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CzarChasm posted:

You know, I'm expecting a twist with the whole "Gotta rescue this VIP from the Burners before HQ finds out" shtick.

Oh yeah, I also wanted to point out since Lunethex et al are usually too busy laughing about other stuff how ridiculous the premise for these side missions are. "Nick, the Burners have kidnapped a VIP who's VITAL TO THE CITY'S SURVIVAL." Like there's this collection of men in business suits metaphysically attuned to the essence of Neo Olde Chicago and if they die the city dies with them.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bootcha posted:

I feel like as a Chicago Son myself I should be be notarizing how this isn't Chicago, but on the other hand I'd say "Well, at least it isn't generic New York. gently caress it, I'll take Not Chicago in a video game."

There's always Watch_Dogs :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The news segments imply that there's a reasonable timejump between levels, the anchor generally says something like "last month Nick Mason killed a fuckzillion gangers when they attacked the Charity Street Orphinarium" to recap your previous adventures. So not only are crazy mask-wearing murdergangs terrorizing the city but they've basically been doing so for something like half a year straight at this point without pause.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Channel 7 reporters Sally Taylor and Bruce Barlow were among those kidnapped by the gang leaders. They were saved by T-Zero during an intense shootout. They are reportedly safe but obviously shaken."

Not as shaken as that dude in the bathtub, heyooo!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
More grenades than a Rob Liefeld character has teeth.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lunethex posted:

How cumbersome would 12 smoke grenades and 12 sting grenades be IRL?

According to Wikipedia, an M-18 smoke grenade which the US military uses weighs 19 ounces, or over a pound. Let's assume for the sake of argument that stingball grenades weigh somewhere in the same ballpark, so two 12-packs of grenades means you're carting around somewhere north of 28 pounds of grenades on top of everything else you might be carrying. To put it another way, the figure people toss around about how much your average infantryman carries is somewhere around 60 pounds (though of course this can go higher depending on circumstances). This isn't even taking into account how awkward and cumbersome it would be to have 24 grenades strapped to your body.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean yeah, obviously this is a video game where the protagonist runs around with like a half dozen weapons he switches to effortlessly and shoots blue gatorade into his bicep to heal all his woulds so we're well past the ridiculousness event-horizon, but specifically if you tried strapping 24 grenades to your body even without any other sort of equipment you would probably hate your life trying to move around in an unencumbered fashion. Like where do you even secure them? I don't know that there's enough space on even a Hollywood action hero's beefcake torso to hold 24 individual grenades within reach. You'd basically be wearing a suit of grenade-mail armor.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

paragon1 posted:

You could do it with double bandoleers, but you'd probably have to reach around to your back for some. Or have a really good belt.

Or a really big waist. Maybe the secret is that Nick Mason is a 400 pound lardo so he's got plenty of bulk to hang all that T-Zero gear on.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So yeah, that's right, the masterminds behind nearly a year of constant terror attacks by mask-wearing cleaver-swinging lunatics? It's FedEx. Also just like with Adam Wolf it turns out that any time someone in favor of T-Zero might have ~dark secrets~ like the mayor it always simply turns out to be a sinister plot to discredit them.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"This nuke going off could have somehow killed nearly the entire population of the United States, except maybe Hawaii I guess."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean I just really want to emphasize that I've never seen a more completely ludicrous moment of "Hollywood realism" in probably anything ever than a nuke setting off a "thermal pulse" that somehow destroys every major power plant across the entire country and kills 300 million people, like I'm pretty sure the movie The Core is more scientifically accurate than that. And it isn't even relevant to the game in any way! This information only pops up after you defuse the WMD and save liberty forever, like they just decided that the idea of a nuke in the middle of downtown New Yorcago wasn't dramatic stakes enough so they have to reassure you after the fact that actually you stopped a SUPER NUKE that would have ended all life on earth as you know it, just a little bit of trivia for you.

• Locked thread