Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

:911: The game :torgue:
This game is called Urban Chaos: Riot Response. You play as a top agent in a new proto-SWAT task force in not-New York/Chicago called T-ZERO (Zero Tolerance). You are Nick Mason, a legend, basically what you get when you mix Robocop with the Terminator and remove all aggression inhibitors. Nah in all seriousness he's ex-military and he's here to kick a lot of rear end. As a T-Zero officer, he is allowed to do whatever it takes to contain and end threats to the city and defeat the Burner Gang, a legion of crazy assholes who just want to kill everyone and burn poo poo down. Now, because we're on the right side of the law, that cannot be allowed. With an array of weaponry, even taking the gang's own primitive methods into account, there is no such thing as unauthorized force in this game. You have a gun, a shield, and a taser, and it's you against hundreds of Jason Voorhees impersonators. I'm playing the game and am of course joined by Coolguy & TheLastRoboKy.

The characters in this game don't really matter because they aren't Nick Mason, so let's just get to the gameplay. This game is Poe's Law in virtual format, glorifying American Law Enforcement to outrageously corny degrees.

:911: Rocksteady :torgue:
This was Rocksteady's first game before they went on to make the Batman: Arkham (noun) games! There is a very high level of polish & detail in this game. It plays solidly, there's a lot of cool poo poo to discover and figure out, and it makes for a fast paced and fun as hell FPS despite being obscenely short at only 17 levels. I figured I'd just play it because it contains a Taser, and I would never play any game solely for this fact unless it was an evil item of chaotic origins. This game is a bit frightening as it goes on because as discovered in the very first video Nick Mason does not actually exist in-game but that's just my opinion!

:911: The levels :torgue:
Every level demands a certain quota from you in the form of making a specific number of headshots, arrests, and finding mcguffin masks all over the place. You need to do this because it's how you unlock poo poo that actually helps you survive and have more fun with the game. On the flip side these challenges are poorly thought out in some of the later levels and are the crux of the three worst parts of the game, but that's just me again and we'll talk about that when we see it. Every time you do something cool the game flashes an award in your face to congratulate you for your badassery, so I don't think more needs to be said past this.

:911: Episodes :torgue:
Urban Chaos: Riot Response Episode 1 - Red Letter Day
Urban Chaos: Riot Response Episode 2 - RoboKy's quotes in this video would all make good video titles
Urban Chaos: Riot Response Episode 3 - Life comes at you fast
Urban Chaos: Riot Response Episode 4 - Maximum Grenade Belt
Urban Chaos: Riot Response Episode 5 - Petty Reasons
Urban Chaos: Riot Response Episode 6 - The Rise and Fall of Nick Mason

azren posted:

I don't know what it is about your threads, and me having blackouts that make horrible things appear on my computer. There are now skinless wolves circling my house right now, and half of my text documents are in Esperanto, but here we are.

Cathode Raymond posted:

I made one too.

Bootcha posted:

YOU HAVE UNLOCKED...

A memorial plaque.

Crabtree posted:

GROGNAR READY FOR CORPORATE RETREAT. IS WEARING BUSINESS CASUAL MASK.

Crabtree posted:

And because of re-watching that video I present to you the other survivor of the Fireman Group, Marshal Chipmunk.

nine-gear crow posted:

Funnily enough, the game has that one covered:

[BIGLY VERSION]

Bootcha posted:

YOU HAVE UNLOCKED...

URBAN COMIC: RAFF RESPONSE

koolkevz666 posted:

Sorry this isn't that good, i'm not very good at this stuff but I thought this kind of fits.

Bootcha posted:

Is there even a court to see this evidence?

Bootcha posted:

PLEASE PRESENT YOUR EVIDENCE BEFORE MY COURT, MASON.

nine-gear crow posted:

Unfortunately, the judge was powerless because

"We the jury in the above and titled case find the defendant, Officer Nicholas Mason, not guilty on all counts."

Crabtree posted:

You foolish civilians and your "ideas" about The Law needing any fancy thing to keep track of Justice. The only thing Nick wants is just a nice set of Aviators.

Also other idea I'm too tired to attempt right now, final upgrade for Taser is Nick just breaking the thing in his hands only to find out that he was one with the lightning all along.

Wiser Guy posted:

There's no such thing as excessive force for T-ZERO:

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm a bit late to this wild ride, but I figured I'd drop off something fun.

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT - Better picture:

chiasaur11 posted:

Interesting fact?

This game was going to be licensed, just like Batman. The deal fell through due to the linear nature of time, but some footage still exists of the earlier build.

I really think it had some potential.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The more I think about it, I realize the blue liquid that you are given by Paramedics to heal with is definitely a play on the term blue bloods which is a TV series about a family of cops and is also a term to reference policemen.

You are literally injecting yourself with the blood of fallen police.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Samovar posted:

This possibly the most pro-police-state game in existence, second only by that Jack Slate game stuff.

I had completely forgotten about how all his takedowns were named after breakfast :allears:

The Sandman posted:

Wait, would that make police in this game vampires?

I don't know, because Nick seems to be a monster that entered the world as a byproduct of the Philadelphia Experiment, emerging from the tear as a spirit of the Taser here to wreak havoc.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Cathode Raymond posted:

Anyone else think it's weird that the headshot quota keeps going up but the arrest quota stays the same?

It will go up. Eventually.

But the headshots going up gets out of control.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Remember, we're police. Stick with the prod - the prod -

PAUL

UNATCO hurt my weenie

:o

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Of course.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

quote:

2:46 PM - Lunethex: Episode 2 is encoding about 30 seconds. I made an edit.
2:46 PM - Lunethex: You know it's kind of unsettling how well anything Three Stooges related can slot into something.
2:46 PM - Coolguy: boinks and bonks are universal
2:46 PM - Lunethex: This goes a little beyond a bit of boinks and bonks brother

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

YOU HAVE UNLOCKED... THE FLAMETHROWER is something I both hope and expect to hear at some point before this is over. Gotta keep cutting that red tape to get there though!

I regret to inform you there is no flamethrower. However, the Assault Rifle gets an upgrade that you never get to use which can definitely be construed as beyond the pale.

You also see the acetylene tanks all over the place. When shot they fly around and can ram into things. They don't hurt you but if they, rarely, hit an enemy, they set him on fire. Also, blowing things up sets them on fire as well. Molotovs will stop being used after a point in the game sadly.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 6, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I never died though :shobon:

edit: You are very right about Rocksteady starting their death scene streak with this game. For all the fun we're having and how corny we think it is, this game's atmosphere and mood shifts dramatically if you die and you see some of those scenes :suspense:

Seems like they're based on where you are, which of 3 ways you die, and who's around at the time. I'll gladly put together a video compilation of it all after the game's done, mostly because I'll be the only person to have done so if YouTube is any indication :getin:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 6, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I found the actual Fireman simulator in my youth. It was the most anime loving firefighting I'd ever seen too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefighter_F.D.18

There are boss fights against particularly violent infernos.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Outside of the famous quote, I don't know a single thing about Judge Dredd to be honest.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Where does Mason actually inject his healing stuff? His bicep? His lung?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Coolguy thinks this looks like Wesker.

The similarities are blowing me away :crossarms:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I just slept for about 14 hours so I hope you can wait another day for Urban Chaos. Coolguy just needs to upload it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Urban Chaos: Riot Response Episode 2 - RoboKy's quotes in this video would all make good video titles

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Kurieg posted:

I was about to give the game props for actually rendering the environment through the sight on the rifle even when you weren't looking through it, but then you were able to see through the riot shield while using thermal imaging... and then you tossed someone into the rotors of a helicopter.

That needs tags brother :q:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I like that Roboky thought Torgue was only in Episode 2 :v:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Urban Chaos: Riot Response Episode 3 - Life comes at you fast

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Jegan posted:

Are these unofficial missions rescuing people that Adam Wolf wants dead or something? Is that why they have to be done before HQ finds out? They seem to be close to the mayor, who appears to be associated with Adam Wolf, so are they minions that have outlived their usefulness?

Hahaha you believe those lies

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I am having such a great laugh seeing the comments on the Urban Chaos videos. There are people asking us to play Syphon Filter and Resident Evil 6.

I don't know if I should be the one to tell them that all of this has happened :allears:

Whoever coined the phrase "Back to square one" must never have imagine it would be so literal one day

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

To be fair, you can get headshots on one run then arrests on the other.

But I think that's lame and I want to be able to get everything at once :smug:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Croccers posted:

Defensive Anti-Police fire.

And yes, who the gently caress keeps sending paramedics and firefighters into the clearly Gang started war zone?

They all have enormous balls dedication.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

Is it possible to use the ranged taser on hostage takers?

Also the "You Have Unlocked" Voice over guy reminds me of the VO from World's Wildest Police Videos

No, you just get shot a lot. Mostly it hits the hostage and they will die of course.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Alavaria posted:

I bet you'll take a firefighter as your secret apprentice.

Quoting for the next video

I'm personally hoping the next video inspires a shitload of fan contributions, I saw more than a few worthy of it.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 13, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Urban Chaos: Riot Response Episode 4 - Maximum Grenade Belt

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

It's a short game with only 2 episodes left so in the interest of a high pace high adrenaline let's play full of thrills & chills the update schedule should match it.

The first level's ending in that video is so good:

Lune: "This needs fanart"
Coolguy: "I don't think-"
*IT HAPPENS*
*CHAOS*

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

That better be a fully automatic pistol.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

The game very explicitly wants you to play through levels multiple times to get all the medals-hell, it would require it if you weren't using a cheat code to start on the top difficulty, and weren't using computer controls to trivialize aiming. You really don't have anyone to blame but yourself for insisting on getting everything in one run.

I don't use computer controls, it's a PS4 controller :shobon:

Primary LP reason for completing it all in one go is because it saves time on editing, that way I don't have to splice in the YOU HAVE UNLOCKED MY NICK MASON BIOGRAPHY scenes and have a bunch of random clips. 1 run, all the rewards, ALL THE WAR CRIMES :kheldragar:

The reason I was going on about how you would have to do multiple runs was asinine was because, IMO, you should be able to get all the quotas in 1 run and have a buffer of more enemies to actually use the other weapons and items on for the sake of fun. With how high the demands keep going it starts stifling the ability and desire for creativity, at least for me, because they make such a big deal about going through all these and reminding you about it every time it happens. This is why I say Sewers, Forshaw Plaza, and the last level of the game are the 3 bad parts of the game. I can't find anything else to gripe about whatsoever since it's as clean and polished as Shiny Energy, the leading conglomerate in human power. Sewers has a specific number of enemies that give you just enough to 100% in a single run, Forshaw Plaza gives you a buffer of only 7 enemies who are not arrested or brained, and the last level in the game straight up does not have enough enemies to do both objectives.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 14, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Hasn't intentionally shot someone in the dick yet?

EXHIBIT A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtpnjO709vw&t=860s

The game moves my aim around a lot more than you think, that isn't on me. Besides, that was not the dick, you can visibly see it was the inner thigh.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 15, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Bootcha posted:

Is there even a court to see this evidence?

:vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Coolguye posted:

i didn't notice it before but i do appreciate that the dick shot is the last bullet in the mag

It's not a dick shot tbh.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

:frogout:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Bootcha posted:

PLEASE PRESENT YOUR EVIDENCE BEFORE MY COURT, MASON.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvJiYrRcfQo

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Need to swap Roboky's post with Crow's that way we can slip in a YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH meme to top it off.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

There was a comment on one of the Urban Chaos videos we've posted and it said "Wolf is voiced by vesemere, do you feel old yet?" and nobody responded to it and I had no idea who that was.

I fixed some mods for Witcher 3 recently and was getting ready for a proper playthrough after just falling off a year and some ago.

Then I realized exactly who that Vesemir was.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

He's Geralt's homie, fellow badass super-human monster hunter.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

https://www.google.com/search?q=max...w=1754&bih=1183

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

How cumbersome would 12 smoke grenades and 12 sting grenades be IRL?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

And a Shotgun, Assault Rifle, a pistol, a riot shield, highly protective armor, and a taser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

yeah I have like 500+ pistol bullets alone

• Locked thread