Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

One thing to point out is that the action scenes in Jack were, and still are, exceedingly good. Pacing, flow, animation and action were all well animated and enacted. Given that this was around the time Toonami was just starting up, bringing DBZ and Kenshin with them, Samurai Jack still stood out for its animation.

Also, iirc, Tartakovsky said that he did Hotel Transylvania to prove that he could make a successful movie so he could get funding for Samurai Jack: The Movie. I think it was from his AMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I am so, so incredibly stoked for Samurai Jack. It's kind of ironic that the legendary show would itself be flung into the future. :haw:

E: ^^^ don't forget sound direction. The action sequences in 'Jack and the Spartans' have this pounding war theme that never fails to get the adrenaline pumping. 'Jack and the 3 Blind Archers' and 'The Princess and the Bounty-Hunters' are also excellent from the opposite end of the spectrum, ie honing in on silence and minute sounds to set the tension.

Can you tell I've been binge watching recently?

Oh, wow. Its kind of telling that when you mentioned the episode, I remember the scene with the princess practicing cutting water drops. So good.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Just so you all know, the stream is showing the first episode. And holy moley it lives up.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Stupid question but you think those demon babies have accelerated aging, or did Jack just have a really really really long bike ride.

50 year bike ride.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Just hire PlatinumGames and make a MGR reskin with Samurai Jack. instant money.

Make it an open-world journey like Breath of the Wild, trying to find the pieces to a timegate to get back to the past.

It can be in the gap between games, so he can learn how to Motorcycle and Gun.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Who cares? I don't!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

And he hasn't even aged! He just grew that STUPID BEARD!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Gotta get back. Back to the past.

Suicide Jack.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Holy poo poo.

The use of color, the camera angles. This is so good.

E1: Holy poo poo!!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Why is Aku also going insane, he's a piece of cosmic evil that killed the dinos , spent millions of years as a evil goo lake in Japan, then spent a few hundred(thousand?) years waiting for Jack to appear.

Up until the Samurai came back he had nothing to fear and nothing to achieve. He stood at the peak. Jack changed that.

He has spent 50 years waiting for Jack to Kill him, or for someone to Kill Jack. It is his life now, and the wait has driven him a bit mad.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

There's also some comedic irony in the evil villain getting professional help while the hero slowly goes mad, like a reverse Joker-Batman relationship.

Is it really professional help when he is the person he is talking to? Its just another flavor of crazy.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

The reason the whole death scene works is that its violent and fast. It's a muscle twitch, a flick of the wrist, and a life is over. Unlike the brutal, vicious rivers of oil from the robots, this was quick. A blink.

Those robots have been a way for Jack to vent his rage and frustration. The daughters pushed him passed that into fear and reflex, and he reacted.

These next couple of fights are going to be brutal.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Since we're making bets on what's going to happen:

Last episode, Jack jumps through the portal and stabs Aku right in the face, ending their battle once and for all. And after that, he starts to fade away into dust. He was in the future so long that he's a full product of it. Without Aku's evil in the future Jack was flung to, the Jack we know now disappears.

Cut to young Jack stepping out of the portal to a futuristic utopia of his home, grown without Aku's influence. His battle is over before it ever begun, and he is home.

WHA-CHA!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

It's time for Jack to let 'er rip! *Stains of Time starts blaring outta nowhere*

Free will is a myth! Religion is a joke! We are all pawns, Samurai, controlled by something greater. AKU! The DNA of Unspeakable evil!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

At the hotel this weekend. No cartoon network. Will have to wait for Wednesday.

Wish me luck, thread. See you then.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Since I missed it on Saturday, just finished watching it.

drat, that poo poo took a turn with a quickness.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Guys, you're all thinking Rick and Morty and Samurai Jack are mortal enemies, but it's just the opposite: it's when they come together that we reach perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43PhlIsEFNU

:five:

Adding to the train:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji2HKfy9vQk

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Gotta get back

Back to the schedule.

EDIT: A literal murder of crows.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

LET'S GO!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Dude, Scotsman.

Now we know what he's been up to.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Jack: so badass he doesn't need a pokeball to catch Gyrados

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

EagerSleeper posted:

RIP everyone who thought Jack would have cool adventures with old Scotsman.

edit: is that actual Japanese mythology? I only know of Izanagi and Izanami, but that's more of the creation of Japan than anything.

Not that I know of.

Also, Holy poo poo Pimp Jack!!!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

If the next episode isn't good I'm giving up on this show. Two bad episodes I can live with,but the third time's not the charm.

In what way? This last episode was kinda on the nose, but it wasn't what I would call bad, even compared to the previous episodes.

Share with us. Perhaps there is something people are missing, like that one video that explains why the Cinematography in 'The Room' is actually cool and good.

https://youtu.be/BD-YZbeajeY

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 17, 2017

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Das Boo posted:

It's an incredibly Dad thing to do, with the added joke that he's being protective even as they're about to battle an evil god. Scotsman obviously trusts his daughters' combat capacity, but they're still his children and he's gonna nag 'em.

Scotsman's entire culture is based around strength, insults and constant quibbling. So of course he's going to find something to complain about for his army of badass warrior daughters. They'd probably be disappointed if he didn't.

Even in his last living moments and probably well past 80, Scotsman went out like the badass he is. And now he's a force ghost.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Ashi's going to dramatically confront Aku and he's not even going to know who she is. "I grew up in an evil cult of Aku, dedicated to destroying The Samurai" can hardly be news.

"Huh? Which one? There's been SO MANY these long years."

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Gynovore posted:

IMHO the last two episodes were good but not as mega-awesome as the first ones. I guess the initial momentum is wearing off.

Nude posted:

Oh man it would be so cool if Ashi meet up with Jack with all the people who he saved, and they have a little get together or something.

I didn't mind the last episode but it definitely had a noticeable difference in storytelling. The first three episodes had a lot of metaphoric moments that really made it feel magical. For example the lighting bug slowly following the warriors and Jack. The metaphor with the wolf's journey and Jack's journey. For the first (four in my opinion) episodes it seemed like each one tried out a new technique in animation, a new way to tell the story. A fight in black and white using the light of the weapons to show you what was going on. Another fight took place in the snow where you couldn't tell what was in the foreground/background. The fourth one was just gorgeous, while not having much plot movement god-drat was it beautiful.

The fifth one, I think the main difference, is the animation was more used as a tool to tell the story rather than having the animation be part of the story. Or rather it was all face value, there was no metaphor or scenes that were used in a way to suggest any kind of weight in a unique way (for example instead of having Jack say I feel bad for murdering those people, the series has a murder of crows yelling murder at him).

It's that kind of poetry that was kind of missing from this episode, which is alright. Don't get me wrong I liked this episode especially for the Scotsman part and kind of a little sad that he didn't get more screen time. Someone pointed out that the kids being controlled were very similar to the daughters of Aku, and I'll admit I see it just for some reason it doesn't hit me in the same way the murder of crows hit me. The original series did have moments of a very a to b storytelling style and other moments where it expected it's audience to have patience and pay attention visually, while I prefer the latter it would be wrong of me to say that Samurai Jack isn't a mix up of both.

That's kind of my opinion on the episode. I mean, the first four were really, really powerful in terms of visual storytelling that this one kind of falls short in that department. It still builds on the world and shows Ashi as a childish figure trying to grow out of her preconceptions, but there was bound to be a downward trend sooner or later.

I was directly addressing a goon acting especially goon-ish by declaring that he'd stop watching the show because he thought the episodes were just that bad. I don't see Ep. 5 as a dealbreaker in all honesty, and Ep. 4 was a fun and colorful episode about an angry baby and a suicidal dad escaping a giant fishmonster. It's still quite a bit ahead of many other shows, and wanted to know why he thought these last two episodes were that bad. Hence, why I brought up that video with the Room. There's neat stuff in there, but the whole thing is kind of poo poo. This is sort of the opposite, where there's some poor stuff but overall it's been really well done and fun to watch.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Toss that baby in the burn pit

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Ghost Seppuku

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

WHA-CHA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

So, finished up Samurai Jack. Still really kinda mad that's how it ended. I mean, good job and all. Amazing series, probably some of the best animation this year.

Just...that ending.

• Locked thread