Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

A dude posted:

If the next episode isn't good I'm giving up on this show. Two bad episodes I can live with,but the third time's not the charm.

J.A.B.C. posted:

In what way? This last episode was kinda on the nose, but it wasn't what I would call bad, even compared to the previous episodes.

IMHO the last two episodes were good but not as mega-awesome as the first ones. I guess the initial momentum is wearing off.

Anyway, here's my hypothesis for the Dark Rider: it's Jack from an alternate timeline.

Let's say that, soon after the first series ends, Jack discovers a time portal. However, using the portal would come at a horrible cost. Like, say, it's an Ancient Magical Artifact, and the artifact is shielding a peaceful village from Aku's gaze (which is why Aku thinks he destroyed all the time portals). Jack refuses to allow the village to be enslaved and does not use the portal. However, in a Bioshock-ish twist, an alternate timeline is created where Jack uses the portal, goes back in Time and kills Aku. However, that Jack is saddened by the thought of this timeline remaining enslaved, so he travels to this one, waiting for this Jack to become deadened enough to do what must be done.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
OK so here's what's going to happen. Jack goes to find his sword, or maybe to reforge a new one, or maybe some lame "the magic was in you all along" thing and he turns a random sword into The Sword. Meanwhile Scaramouche's head is used as comic relief, shown every other episode trying to get to Aku. And Aku is sad and mopey because he's bored and jaded. At the end Aku is almost ready to imprison himself in the Shadowlands Pit of Hate again, when the head finally tells Aku that Jack lost his sword. And Aku is overjoyed and flies out to kill Jack, but Jack has the sword and kills Aku. He finds a time portal in Aku's bedside dresser and goes back in time, and that's it.

Either that or Aku shoots Jack, and spends the rest of the episode wiping Jack's blood off his car upholstery before his wife finds out.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Fionordequester posted:

Speaking of comic relief; does anyone else think this would be an hilarious call back to have some place in Season 5? At some point when Greg Baldwin's Aku is trying to get some sleep?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ3A-W3wr5s

The entire episode is a great parody of Samurai Jack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ_jurG0G4Q

Duck Dodgers was awesome.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
It must be hard for female voice actors nowadays, what with Tara Strong taking 90% of the roles.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Gawain The Blind posted:

The Ashi-vs-army fight was terrible. We spent 2 or 3 episodes establishing that she's some kind of super ninja, but then instead of flying around dexterously and kidney stabbing, she picks a dude up and brute strengths him down a mountain, knocking everyone off. What a poo poo way for Genndy to declare that this fight doesn't matter and he just wants to move the story along with the minimum amount of effort. "Yeah, I dunno, lets just have her knock all them off somehow. gently caress it."

Yeah, I kinda saw that fight as a metaphor or a visionary sequence or something. Ashi may be a badass but there's no way she can beat an entire army with zero effort. Granted Aku's henchmen are pretty poo poo, but still.

A dude posted:

Are we sure it's paint? All I'm willing to say is that it's not exactly useful in any easily discernible way. He killed one of them with their own sword so it's not like it really protected them in anyway. I don't think it did anything besides make them all look completely the same.

The Daughters went swimming so it's more than just ashes, but it scrubbed off so it's not scars. I dunno, maybe we're overthinking it. Maybe it's just Aku Magic. (or fan service.)

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 2, 2017

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
This wasn't horrible, but the "oh no you're naked!" bit was cheesy and fanservice-y. People are comparing this to Korra, but I'm going to compare it to Avengers Age of Ultron: there's a woman around, therefore someone simply must be sheathing his sword in her even though it adds nothing to the plot. The song was cute, though.

Prediction: a bunch of time will have passed when the next episode starts.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Snipee posted:

Lol, so I just checked Wikipedia, and it confirmed that Tara Strong voiced Batgirl in that film too. How does she get so many leading roles? Are there only a small number of competent voice actors in the country?

I've said it before: all the other female voice actors in Hollywood must be living on Ramen Noodles, what with Tara Strong taking 90% of the gigs.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Moon Slayer posted:

I may only be 21

So you reged at age 11??

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Prediction:

EP9: Jack and Ashi hunt for a time portal, while at the same time holding hands and making goo-goo eyes and feeding each other bits of rainbow fish and poo poo like that. Scaramouche's head finally gets to Aku.

EP10: They find a time portal, maybe the Guardian's. At the same time, the head tells Aku that Jack had lost his sword. Aku, re-energized, flies off to fight Jack. Aku and Jack fight to a stalemate. Jack is about to jump into the time portal, but he realizes that doing so will cause Ashi to cease to exist. Jack agonizes over it for a long time, then either jumps in, or does not and resolves to stay and fight Aku's tyranny here.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I don't understand the goon consensus of this being middling, this show blows the original series out of the water and has been a far more complete story than before, and I've been gripped the entire time and enjoyed every episode so far, although some more than others.

My 2 cents: It's awesome, however the two instances of Nude Ashi were blatant fanservice. And the Scaramouche-as-comedy felt tacked on. Still awesome.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Rhonne posted:

Best part of the episode was Aku instantly blowing up Scaramouche

Actually I kinda saw this as Scaramouche's head just blowing up on it's own.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Fionordequester posted:

Another thing to consider; Ashi is NOT the only daughter of Aku. The Grand Priestess had seven daughters, not just one. So even if Jack is faced with a "kill Ashi, or a little bit of Aku will always live on", he still can't destroy Aku completely. Even if he were to cut down Ashi, there would still be 6 other scraps of Aku living on (I'm assuming THOSE weren't killed as well). So if this conflict is resolved, it's probably not going to be with Ashi's death; otherwise, we'd have a pretty major plothole.

I think there are a lot of bits of Aku floating around. Like, in the original episode, the one with those seven robot assassins? Aku powered them by pouring a bit of himself into them. Maybe he powered Scaramouche the same way, because when Jack chopped him in half in E1, some black goop cam out.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Now I want Scaramouche's head as an avatar, the blinking bewbs are getting old.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Jellymouth posted:

Anybody post this yet?

"Community is not pleased" should be the free square. Replace the old square with "More fanboy-serving Ashi nudity".

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

tsob posted:

Did the original have a point?

Does anything have a point?

As for Duke, I loving loved the original. It was (IIRC) the first shooter to actually give the protagonist a voice and an actual personality. Yeah there was piss and tits and crude humor, but I can forgive that.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 19, 2017

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Turtlicious posted:

Yo, I re-watched episode 9, and uh.

The imagery was a bit on the nose wasn't it?

Is that really how Gennedy sees loving?

I think that having 9 begin immediately after 8 ended was Genndy's way of driving home the point that they didn't gently caress.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
This was generally good. It was a bit cliched to have Aku defeated by the power of friendship, and Ashi freed by true love, but they didn't take it too far. The "Oh no." was priceless.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Didn't someone say Tartakovsky was trying to make a Samurai Jack movie for a while? Maybe that's why the first three episodes feel different and so closely interlinked.

That was the original plan, but it was shelved when Mako died.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Regalingualius posted:

You totally should watch the original if you get the chance. I'm not gonna deny that a fair few of them were obviously intended for kids first and foremost, but especially in the later seasons, the show got really ambitious and artsy.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Pick posted:

Which are the best original series episodes?

I like the one where he fights the shinobi. Also the Three Blind Archers one.

The one where Aku tells fairy tales is stupid fun. The "SAH-MOOO-RAIIII!" one is too.

• Locked thread