Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Yeah, until otherwise stated, I'm just gonna assume all the Aku's Daughters scenes were flashbacks.

Speaking of, it kind of bugs me that the series went dark as all hell with them (up to and including actual humans getting arrows through their eyes) but then Jack's two big fights were still against robots.

Apparently they're gonna touch on this next week. In the preview Jack assumes the Daughters of Aku are machines at first. So he's gonna have to deal with fighting humans.

Anyway, that was amazing. They didn't miss a beat - it's exactly like the old Samurai Jack. This is gonna be a fun ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

PhazonLink posted:

Now that I think about it, Jack's childhood training probably never covered the whole "taking a human life thing" since it was you're going to kill the ultimate evil.

But then again, when he totally owned that group of bounty hunters in the snow, three were human. A russian, a black guy, and a southern gent.

Which episode is that again?

PhazonLink posted:

Then again, Legend of Korra also had a really good first episode.

Wasn't Legend of Korra a show that started good and went way beyond the number of episodes they expected to get?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Samovar posted:

No disrespect to the new V.A., we only heard him for a short while, but Aku' s just not the same.

That's the elephant in the room of this whole thing. No matter how much everybody involved is firing on all cylinders (and it looks like, for all intents and purposes, everybody is), there's always gonna be something missing with Aku. Not to disparage the new guy I'm sure he'll do his best, Mako was just special.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well they sure made the daughters look like badasses.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I.

Jesus. I didn't expect that!

They spent way too much time characterizing the daughters for that to be it, so I think the three that fell survived.

Ashi, at the very least.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

PhazonLink posted:

Where you get that name? I thought they were all nameless.

Her sisters call her Ashi in the first episode and her mother might too?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Also man what was up with that frog?!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Pretty sure you can chock that one up to hallucination via severe loss of blood

But it still gave him useful info!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Eh, all it says is "They're coming", which is pretty obvious, and well within the scope of things Jack's blood-loss addled mind could have projected onto the frog to keep him alert and moving.

Okay, but.

But.

BUT.

What if.

Jack is Friend to All Animals and the frog was helping him the way the wolf was?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In retrospect, that's the only thing Ashi could do. She has no social skills. She has none of the wisdom or maturity Jack gained in his training that is such a huge part of how adaptive and clever he is. She doesn't have the lessons Jack gained from his father that we saw in this episode give him strength and clarity at his lowest moments.

All she and her sisters have is the combat lessons and rhetoric their mother beat into them. Emotionally, she's still a child, so with no other option, she just ranted at Jack like a child.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh man, that's kinda funny, but I wanna watch Jack, dammit. :lol:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Tuxedo Ted posted:

It's here in the R&M thread:

:laffo: Oh man, that's next level.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey, is there any kind of official CN/Adult Swim/Toonami stream that'll stream Jack as it airs that I can log into with my cable info? I have PS Vue, but I'm somewhere without it at the moment.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mr. Fowl posted:

Since you have cable, Adult Swim has a live stream http://www.adultswim.com/videos/simulcast.

They hide it every time they change up their site.

Thank you!

This episode is really funny. Like, drat.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ladybugs. God's favorite animal.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"She's here because of me" sold me on this plot development.

Yes. It was perfect. That's Jack in a nutshell.

This was the most dialog-heavy episode and I loved it. I forgot how much of a funny guy Jack can be when he wants to be.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wow, all new DBZ, maybe they'll finally go past Recoome this time!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That's a bit contrived. Jack could've just waited a minute to see they weren't dead.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hoooo man, I was afraid the series was losing momentum and I am definitely not afraid of that anymore. That was incredible, if kinda hastily paced.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Goats confirmed. We have goats.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

bobjr posted:

I like the little goats.

welp.

hope you didn't like 'em too much. :stare:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ashi = Good.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man I really wish this had even gotta 13 or 14 episodes instead of just 10.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Crabtree posted:

Mom fight probably needed some more action, but we only have two more episodes left. Sacrifices must be made with the short time frame of WE'RE DOING THIS IN 10. And it looks like other Jack was indeed Mad Jack as he gets banished by Jack noticing he's too irrational again and once the last time portal is destroyed, he lashes out in a crazy fashion.

His frustration made him kill innocents instead of fighting to save them as he usually does. That's what did it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
:laffo: I can't believe there was a time I thought these two weren't gonna bone like rabbits.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh, man.

I'm not opposed to the idea at play, here and I don't even have any problems with the execution, but spending a whole episode on that.

That's some questionable time budgeting.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Crabtree posted:

I just don't appreciate doing anything to the Wha-cha.

Also, this.

Don't take my wicha.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

nerdbot posted:

Yeah that's really the umbrella all the show's problems are underneath--even if this was handled much more tastefully, the episode still would have felt like a waste. With more time to breathe this wouldn't really have been a bad plot development but with 10 episodes this just felt like a mistake.

We've got what, two more episodes?

Like, I get why they did this this way, but there was a much more time-efficient way to do it that wouldn't have cut two incredibly important story beats (Jack confronting Mad Jack/getting his sword back and Ashi confronting her mom) down to a couple minutes each.

We're down to two episodes left, here and we have a ton of stuff to wrap up. I dunno that we're gonna get the great climax we want, here.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Literally the second line of the intro is "I do not age." The "he's actually a hundred, gross" thing is pretty pedantic.

I mean the relationship as a whole has its issues, Ashi is obviously not a mature individual who's prepared for this sorta thing, but. Jack's age is the least of the problems here.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 7, 2017

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Yea I think that's the true implication of what everyone is upset about. Crazy age difference romances happen in fiction all the time (LOTR for example, humanoid robots, aliens). Where they kinda dropped the ball here is that Ashi can be compared to a person who just got out of an abusive relationship. Sure she might find someone who's great for her, but in a practical real world sense it'd be a lot healthier to give them time to work out stuff out internally instead of jumping into something else. Of course its a cartoon but it still pings the "hmm something aint quite right" center of the brain.

I mean again, time is the issue here. If this was happening on episode 22 of 26 with Ashi and Jack traveling together for close to twenty episodes instead of episode 8 of 10 where they've been traveling together for three episodes, would this be nearly as much of a problem?

mandatory lesbian posted:

like neither of these people are mentally in a place where i think a relationship makes sense, maybe next week this will be addressed but i don't have high hopes

I mean, Jack's alone in the preview, so. Maybe?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

nerdbot posted:

I don't feel like either of them are quite right. I guess this episode isn't exactly the best way to gauge it but it feels like all of Jack's development over this season got trimmed off along with his beard, and he's just 100% fine and back to how he was in the original series except now also ready to gently caress

Pushing how broken and traumatized Jack is for the entire first half of the series, then having him go "Hey, uh, blue/red me, you're actually bad. Bye." and instantly reverting to the status quo is gonna go down as a big notch against the series, I think.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

mycot posted:

It was the Toonami thread (which is now frozen lol) that pointed this out, but part of the whiplash is how hard the episode's depiction of Jack has to go against pretty much the entire rest of the series.

Jack is portrayed as some sort of Immortal Samurai Jesus who could take down the MEGABEETLEBOT, but now he can barely fight off some worms even with Ashi killing half of them?

I mean, they had effectively infinite numbers because they could regenerate, that's not that hard to buy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay yeah they're definitely going to bonesville eventually.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ashi finally joins the rest of us in the seen Jack naked club.

Pale Jack is a lot nicer than blue Jack.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh yeah.

Doot doot doot doot.

Doo.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Regalingualius posted:

OHHHHH OHHHH OHHHHHHH OHHHHHHH

CAUGHT IN A BAD ROMANCE.

Really glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, I sorta get why they spent a whole episode on the romance now.

Granted, they didn't NEED to do a romance to give this impact. But, I mean, I get it.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 14, 2017

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Covok posted:

Dat guardian fake-out.

Yeeeeeah I appreciate them tying a bow on that story, but structuring the preview around it was kind of a dick move.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well I just got done with very sad wrestling so hey why not some very sad cartoons too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh hey, Samurai Jack's on!

• Locked thread