Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
:negative: ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Gaunab posted:

Bunch of sourpusses in this thread.

I've been 100% on board every single episode of this series and am basically the exact target demographic for it to sink its claws into the nostalgia-desiring sectors of my brain, but this episode was a stinker.

nerdbot posted:

It's a shame the romance stuff was so... present. Because the monster was cool as gently caress and I am so there for what basically amounted to a Samurai Jack episode set in a Metroid game

That was otherwise nnnnottttt goooooddddd. Even without how hamhanded it was, what was the point? Was any of this really worth spending one of our ten episodes on?

But it's not one of the good Metroids, this is the Samurai Jack equivalent of Other M. As soon as Jack said out loud "This must be a jail cell" I knew having someone for Jack to talk to was a horrible mistake.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SamuraiSnake posted:

The shipping is just way too weird for this show. It doesn't seem to fit with the tone of what we've seen thus far.

It was starting to get that way whenever it was revealed that Ashi doesn't actually wear clothes, only ashes and blades of grass. Once you have female characters being dressed really scantily, it's a sign that the author might have let story integrity fall in favor of personal gratification.

The rest of the team trying to hold back Gendy from making this even more horny is probably why Samurai Jack was delayed for so long.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Like I would of liked Ashi a lot more if after the escape she realized she was wrong and went off to do her own thing. Hell keep the fanservice episode just to show her that Jacks done more good for the world then anything else.

As is she feels like a definition of a mary sue character and I can't stand the writing around her. Her tragic backstory wound up being utterly pointless and she just exudes perfection at literally everything she does to the point most of these episodes have turned into "Jack is in danger how can Ashi be the hero this time :)"

It's as if the Bounty Hunter princess suddenly stopped caring about her people just because Jack didn't kill her and joined up with him. The love story stuff just feels so hamhanded it sucks a lot of energy out of the show for me. Feel free to disagree but this wasn't what I was hoping for when I heard "Jack was back"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i am entirely against it bc ashi is 18 and jack is like 70

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's just overall gross as hell on several levels

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I can't believe they wasted an episode on a romance plot.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
I'm not against the relationship, but this episode was just not great. Every other episode was better by a long shot. Even Jack's tea party had more redeeming qualities.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
I'm fairly certain after this episode that we aren't going to get a concrete end to all things. Honestly I would be surprised if he even defeats Aku at this rate.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

She was basically homeschooled on aku-lt upbringings and has had critical thought for like, a week lmao

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I realize I'm not even complaining about the episode for the same reasons as everybody else (I mean I don't like it, chiefly because Ashi just isn't a deep enough character to get this much screentime, but I kinda accepted it as inevitable ever since Ashi regularly started getting framed with "alluring" eyes), I am legit bummed out at how lame the desert/spaceship exploration was compared to how the original series would have done it.

Jack having to explain every single room as he comes across it. Every single room having an obvious spelled out purpose to begin with. Bad pacing because every single scene is skipped over for the sake of a lame chase scene. Aaaaagh.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 7, 2017

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Literally the second line of the intro is "I do not age." The "he's actually a hundred, gross" thing is pretty pedantic.

I mean the relationship as a whole has its issues, Ashi is obviously not a mature individual who's prepared for this sorta thing, but. Jack's age is the least of the problems here.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 7, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Alright.
Okay.
You got me.
Samurai Jack, I can't defend you on this one, buddy.
gently caress.

FUUUUUCK.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

mycot posted:

But it's not one of the good Metroids, this is the Samurai Jack equivalent of Other M. As soon as Jack said out loud "This must be a jail cell" I knew having someone for Jack to talk to was a horrible mistake.

Now that you mention it I think Other M literally had a boss that was a bunch of tiny bugs that form up. And they're stuck on a BOTTLE SHIP spaceship too. gently caress.

I was initially getting more of a Fusion vibe but if that were the case Mad Jack would've been shambling around in some air vents

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

VJeff posted:

Literally the second line of the intro is "I do not age." The "he's actually a hundred, gross" thing is pretty pedantic.

I mean the relationship as a whole has its issues, Ashi is obviously not a mature individual who's prepared for this sorta thing, but. Jack's age is the least of the problems here.

Yea I think that's the true implication of what everyone is upset about. Crazy age difference romances happen in fiction all the time (LOTR for example, humanoid robots, aliens). Where they kinda dropped the ball here is that Ashi can be compared to a person who just got out of an abusive relationship. Sure she might find someone who's great for her, but in a practical real world sense it'd be a lot healthier to give them time to work out stuff out internally instead of jumping into something else. Of course its a cartoon but it still pings the "hmm something aint quite right" center of the brain.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

VJeff posted:

jack has been at war for 50 years plus, even if physically his bodies 20-30, his mind is not

and yeah i find other problems with it, even if you can get past the age thing

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
like neither of these people are mentally in a place where i think a relationship makes sense, maybe next week this will be addressed but i don't have high hopes

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Yea I think that's the true implication of what everyone is upset about. Crazy age difference romances happen in fiction all the time (LOTR for example, humanoid robots, aliens). Where they kinda dropped the ball here is that Ashi can be compared to a person who just got out of an abusive relationship. Sure she might find someone who's great for her, but in a practical real world sense it'd be a lot healthier to give them time to work out stuff out internally instead of jumping into something else. Of course its a cartoon but it still pings the "hmm something aint quite right" center of the brain.

I mean again, time is the issue here. If this was happening on episode 22 of 26 with Ashi and Jack traveling together for close to twenty episodes instead of episode 8 of 10 where they've been traveling together for three episodes, would this be nearly as much of a problem?

like neither of these people are mentally in a place where i think a relationship makes sense, maybe next week this will be addressed but i don't have high hopes

I mean, Jack's alone in the preview, so. Maybe?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I don't feel like either of them are quite right. I guess this episode isn't exactly the best way to gauge it but it feels like all of Jack's development over this season got trimmed off along with his beard, and he's just 100% fine and back to how he was in the original series except now also ready to gently caress

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 7, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

VJeff posted:

i have low hopes! that's why i mentioned it in the first place, him being alone actually does give me hope, just not very high ones

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

SamuraiSnake posted:

The shipping is just way too weird for this show. It doesn't seem to fit with the tone of what we've seen thus far.

Hell the one time he could of have a romantic relationship (Aku lol) it was in a much better way. What made me suspect that it was going that route was the odd long pause when Jack sees Ashi after he gets his sword back. Also I suppose the scotsman isn't gonna make a mark anytime soon.

Nude fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 7, 2017

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

nerdbot posted:

I don't feel like either of them are quite right. I guess this episode isn't exactly the best way to gauge it but it feels like all of Jack's development over this season got trimmed off along with his beard, and he's just 100% fine and back to how he was in the original series except now also ready to gently caress

Pushing how broken and traumatized Jack is for the entire first half of the series, then having him go "Hey, uh, blue/red me, you're actually bad. Bye." and instantly reverting to the status quo is gonna go down as a big notch against the series, I think.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

VJeff posted:

I mean again, time is the issue here. If this was happening on episode 22 of 26 with Ashi and Jack traveling together for close to twenty episodes instead of episode 8 of 10 where they've been traveling together for three episodes, would this be nearly as much of a problem?

Yea I mean we can give them the benefit of the doubt since they're under time constraints. With all this content and pacing issues its pretty obvious they realized they wouldn't have another chance at this since this is the last season so instead of cutting it out they decided to squeeze it in. But you can't deny that there was probably better ways of making it seem more natural, maybe more shots of passages of time.

The Biggest Jerk fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 7, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

VJeff posted:

I think this isn't that different than the anime excuse of "but it's okay to have sexual attraction to this underage looking character because she's actually 1000 years old!". There are many ways to excuse a controversial relationship in fiction with in plot justification, but at the end of the day why are we going down the road in the first place? Why even bone the extremely sheltered 18 year old who was brainwashed for most of their lives?

This is one of the rare times where fanartists and fanfic writers would have handled this sort of topic more gracefully.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
Haven't seen the episode yet, but I thought Jack and Ashi were going to end up a pair after the scene with the two deer nuzzling in the third episode. They don't have the time to flesh this stuff out, and what little foreshadowing they could do had basically already been done.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Why even do it if you can't do it right?!

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Shows always seem to do this, GoT does, Korra did it. If you only have like 8 episodes please don't waste an entire one on romance and screw up your plot pacing as a result.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

nerdbot posted:

It was the Toonami thread (which is now frozen lol) that pointed this out, but part of the whiplash is how hard the episode's depiction of Jack has to go against pretty much the entire rest of the series.

Jack is portrayed as some sort of Immortal Samurai Jesus who could take down the MEGABEETLEBOT, but now he can barely fight off some worms even with Ashi killing half of them?

SirKibbles posted:

Shows always seem to do this, GoT does, Korra did it. If you only have like 8 episodes please don't waste an entire one on romance and screw up your plot pacing as a result.

I'm just gonna say even a hosed up relationship is way more appropriate and less out of place in those shows than Samurai Jack.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Eh, screw the haters, it's cute! Neat for Jack to have a love interest. Everybody needs somebody sometiiiiimes~

Shame there wasn't any Aku or Scaramouche or even ghost Jedi Scotsman. Is the last episode of the season a hour long or just 30?

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Servaetes posted:

Eh, screw the haters, it's cute! Neat for Jack to have a love interest. Everybody needs somebody sometiiiiimes~

Shame there wasn't any Aku or Scaramouche or even ghost Jedi Scotsman. Is the last episode of the season a hour long or just 30?

It was a very cheesy romance.

mycot posted:

It was the Toonami thread (which is now frozen lol) that pointed this out, but part of the whiplash is how hard the episode's depiction of Jack has to go against pretty much the entire rest of the series.

Jack is portrayed as some sort of Immortal Samurai Jesus who could take down the MEGABEETLEBOT, but now he can barely fight off some worms even with Ashi killing half of them?
Has jack taken down an organism that can regenerate itself and is composed of smaller organisms? Because those kind of entities are the worst opponents for swordsmen.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

mycot posted:

I mean, they had effectively infinite numbers because they could regenerate, that's not that hard to buy.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Servaetes posted:

Agreed, this episode was good and even if you hated it, there's only 2 left so this will probably be the only romance we'll see.

I'm pretty hyped for the next episode based on the preview that was where Jack fought the Guardian right?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I am also not a big fan of them boning. Just gross. But to talk about a positive: I liked that they brought back straw hat, and kept in the tradition of "immediately lose hat after making it".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I guess I've read too many Wolverine comics because the concept of an old man who looks like a young man hooking up with a (comparatively much) younger woman doesn't bother me.

Also gently caress all y'all that Dean Martin smash cut end joke was hilarious.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

VJeff posted:

I dunno that we're gonna get the great climax we want, here.

I'm so sorry, it's the only thing I could think of reading that.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Missingnoleader posted:

It was a very cheesy romance.

Well, sure. It's a show about a time displaced Japanese samurai in the distant future with robots, laser guns, aliens, Hanna Barbera cameos and a talking penis. And like a few others were saying this is probably about it for what you're gonna see until the finale, assuming it's a happy one and not one of those heroic sacrifice kinda deals. I'm hopin' for the former, but I'll be watching the last two episodes to see!

So like other than him just being kind of a bit of a monster, is there any chance Aku survives? Or is he pretty much irredeemably evil? The character is great too. This show definitely has fantastic villains that you can enjoy almost as much as the protagonist.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 7, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Ah, this was stupid, cheesy cute, I liked it. :allears: Now i'm just worried Ashi might bite the dust in the finale, but then she'd also be Jack's ultimate motivation to not go to the past.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
♩ Back to back; into the sack, Samurai Jack♩

Ok, but seriously, that was...way too much burgeoning for me to take. There's nothing else for me to add; you guys already said it. This romance is a stinker in way too many ways for me to list. I mean, jeez, I was KIDDING when I said there'd be a burgeoning; I wasn't expecting the show to take me seriously :barf: !

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked it a lot and I thought it was cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This was bad. Really bad. I didn't think it would get worse... and then Ashi lost her clothes.

TwoPair posted:

I guess I've read too many Wolverine comics because the concept of an old man who looks like a young man hooking up with a (comparatively much) younger woman doesn't bother me.

:aatrek:

• Locked thread