Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hm, the Google Play series icon has switched to crazy old Jack so I guess they're going to carry this, but they aren't yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

livingfruitvirus posted:

They put it up after it's aired on the west coast.

Well, that's the theory but frankly a lot of shows randomly decide to wait a few weeks before adding stuff to streaming sites, or to some streaming sites, or skip episodes for a while, and nobody really seems to know why.

(It's actually probably an encoding issue on certain services' formats, but nobody ever really comes around afterwards to explain.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't really see anything problematic except that the show is yet another show about a male action dude in a world that's full of shows about male action dudes and short on real female protagonists. As usual, though, that's not a deathblow to any particular show about a guy, just a problem with the world in general.

Anyway, it's not like they could change that now for Samurai Jack, and they've actually added important female characters, so I suspect they're aware that that's something they were short on. (You could say Ashi's not a great point of representation but I don't think anybody more empowered would fit into the established story of the conclusion of Jack and Aku's enmity.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

This show could be called Samurai Jade with all the genders swapped and it would be exactly the same show.

The interesting thing is that it actually wouldn't!

For example, the whole thing about "the more naked Jack gets the more brutal he becomes" would come across as something completely different if he were a lady samurai stripping down to her underwear to do murders.

Hm, let's consider this more fully. Would Jade come across as having a different relationship with Aku than Jack? Or would it be more appropriate to flip Aku into Ako as well (including the episode where she confounds Jade by turning into a sexy guy)?

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 30, 2017

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Gynovore posted:

It must be hard for female voice actors nowadays, what with Tara Strong taking 90% of the roles.

And to get the rest, you have to fight Jennifer Hale and Grey DeLisle. I wouldn't want to tangle with either of them.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, to focus on something petty today instead of something awful, I'm very annoyed that Google Play still hasn't added the latest episode after five days.

At this point I'm just going to stop buying seasons in advance if I'm going to have to wait a random number of days to get things I've already paid for that are showing up already on Amazon.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, I'm pretty much going to have to go with "that could have been a really great season if it was about twice as long."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Pirate Jet posted:

Seriously. The fact that the show actually tackled the dilemma of having to kill humans head-on and came to the PROPER conclusion was genuinely mature in a way that just the newfound swearing and blood wouldn't cover alone - the answer wasn't "well I guess Jack has to be Batman now" but instead "they chose to try and kill you, it's not your fault if they lose the game of life and death." And the crows showed that the show had no interest in backing down on that position.

That's not exactly true?

I mean, even when Jack kills the other daughters, we know he's wrong about them. He says "you chose this path," but the truth is, they really didn't. Ashi even says it outright later to her mother: "Jack didn't kill my sisters; you did."

• Locked thread