Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Augus posted:

Most of that stuff was in this episode, come on dude. The shots of the desert and the interior of the ship and the fight choreography were all amazing. So it was a lighthearted romantic subplot, if you don't like that I can understand. But it's not like the show suddenly became Nutshack for an episode

I think the reason why this episode is so...deflating for the series as a whole for a lot of people is its placement in the series. Every single new plot introduced at the beginning of the season has been resolved (the Aku cult, Jack's hallucination self, the green rider) , so now there's no more room for speculation that this is what the series has been building up to.

I'm not on Das Boo's level of despair yet, but I'm definitely a little resigned to lowering my expectations for the finale, and that's kinda sad.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

EagerSleeper posted:

This show sux and people are naturally dunking on it. Let us hope that the last episodes are decent and well paced.

Ppphhhbbbhttthahahahahaha.

We are going to get 40 minutes of Ashi getting fridged by Aku and Jack crying "noooooo Ashiiii" like this is The Matrix 3, and I will be sitting through all of it.

Scotsman's ghost and Scaramouche will be saved for the post credits sequel hook.

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 7, 2017

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Moon Slayer posted:

The fact that I can drop unsourced tumblr posts into the thread and they don't stand out should tell you something about the level of discourse in TVIV.

I mean multiple people literally said source your quotes so it did stick out a little.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't even care about any name portmanteaus, I just think this plot is bad writing and surprisingly clunky storytelling.

And it's depressing seeing the audience regress to "well it's just a kids show what were you expecting :eyeroll:" when the first few episodes didn't need that because they were, you know, actually good. Imagine that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

TheKingofSprings posted:

I've watched 7 episodes of this so far, and went to load the next one up and realized I just did not care about it enough to watch it anymore.

I think there are some very good ideas in this season but I do not think this is a good season.

It's real harsh to describe Samurai Jack the same way a lot of people talked about reading Bleach.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Regalingualius posted:

Why don't we talk about the past, then?

What do you guys consider the all-time best episode(s) of the original run of the series? The worst? The moments that got you hooked into this show all those years ago?

Only episode of Samurai Jack I won't defend (other than season five episode eight I guess) is the Woolies one.

The ending of Jack and the Lava Monster where the dead warrior literally ascends to vahalla blew my mind as a kid.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I actually think this thread is pretty civil but please don't disappoint me and argue with Turtlicious.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
This episode was a return to form. Jack and Ashi are so much more palpable when they act like themselves and not romance cliches.

Ashi's one winged angel moment was cool, along with the shot where Aku rises and she's framed by his face.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Some thoughts about the main ways things can pan out:

A) Jack and Aku mutually kill each other, but in the process Ashi is finally freed from the influence of her mother and father. Ashi lives.
B) Jack kills Aku and frees Ashi somehow, and they live together in the new future accepting that there's no way to change the past yadda yadda. Jack and Ashi live.
C) Ashi Yoshimitsu's Aku and herself with Jack's sword. Jack becomes Sad Jack forever and/or gets a consolation prize for his troubles like seeing his family again. Jack lives.

B is probably the most likely. I don't think Jack is getting back to the past (poor Morpheus :( ) unless something insane like Ashi creating a new time portal happens.

mycot fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 14, 2017

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Rhonne posted:

Best part of the episode was Aku instantly blowing up Scaramouche and just casually saying goodbye to Jack.

I loved how completely over Aku is on actually fighting Jack. He's done this hundreds of times before, no need to do it again.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Covok posted:

:shrug: I'm still enjoying things.

Same.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Regalingualius posted:

Right, but I think he means since Jack 'killed' them without his sword, they might still potentially come back somehow in the finale... Though I think that's a long shot.

I got the feeling that Ashi's Aku part was only fully awakened when Aku brought it out. A nice detail is that they show Boss Ashi tearing and burning up from Jack's sword with the same effect Aku has when cut with it, when earlier she bled normally.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Well Manicured Man posted:

The latest episode just makes it even clearer how much more appropriate it would be to have Jack as a mentor/surrogate father to Ashi. Jack would be an alternative role model and "father" to Ashi compared to the evil (absent, abusive) Aku. The final battle between Jack and Aku would be not just a battle to save the future/reclaim the past (depending on whether Jack actually gets back to the past), but also an ideological battle between two dads.

Oh, well.

For all that's been said and will be said in the end, it is a sure thing that this season was made with complete creative freedom, because otherwise I can't imagine making it through the entire production of this season without someone pointing out that parallel (which I'm pretty sure is completely unintentional). It's so obvious.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Rhonne posted:

gently caress yeah, this should just be Samurai Logan!

Scotsman can be Professor X.

I'm two pages late to this but I'm still disappointed nobody made fanart of bearded Jack holding a shovel.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I really liked Aku's relatively undramatic "oh no". He killed everyone, but he hosed up.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

FZeroRacer posted:

There's a really funny/awful continuity error too that you'd only catch if you rewatch the first episode of Samurai Jack.

Jack's parents are far younger than they're supposed to be in the final episode. It's really glaring.

Emaciated slave Emperor would probably kill the wedding mood.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like the idea of Aku's death being an anticlimax, that specific bit was perfect, but then it kept on anticlimaxing for a few more minutes and it kind of outwears its welcome.

I'm one of the people who was pretty firmly on the side of not wanting Samurai Jack to take a dive into discussing time travel pseudoscience, so Jack and Ashi ollieing out as soon as they realized the implications was also pretty great (and smart of them).

I'm still really surprised that there wasn't any reference to the future characters at all though. Like, even something as simple and brief as a shot of them living in a happy Aku-less future regardless if it makes any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Nina posted:

The Jack universe before everyone is an alien is pretty much Street Fighter

I forgot about Jack's British mentor being Literally Robin Hood.

• Locked thread