Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

spit on my clit posted:

ever heard of shitposting

Is this what we're calling Gendy's writing attempts now?

Gendy has fallen the way of George Lucas. He is a good designer and animator, but his writing needs oversight from other people. Now that he is so senior and well respected amongst fans, no one wanted to try and question his decisions lest they be fired.

Edit: now that this is the top post of a new page, I do want to try and add some positivity to discuss. Phil Lemarr does an excellent job as an awkward Jack. That is some quality acting.

Vvv I understood what the tumblr repost meant. Turning interesting characters into flimsy wank-bait sucks.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

listen. im not upset jack and ashi ended up together because i wanted them to be gay, im upset because i didnt want any relationship at all
like this is the classic “men and women cant be friends” trope where a relationship that would be better off platonic turns romantic and it sucks!! like now we have to deal with more straight poo poo where it really isnt necessary and it loving sucks!!

I figured it out: there’s a limited amount of cartoon goodness in existence, so if any one show starts getting good, others are going to suffer. So as soon as Steven Universe produces an extraordinary Stevenbomb, Samurai Jack has to pull this poo poo to compensate.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
he's not lucas bad yet
episodes 1-4 were fantastic, nothing from the star wars prequel era had anything resembling something intentionally good

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Finally got around to watching the latest episode. That was, uh... Passable, at best? :geno:

In isolation, some things were good - like the hat-making scene was cute and the Punjabi music/use of color was cool and the Alien monster was threatening/interesting enough; but the rest of it was kind of a cringe-inducing, disjointed mess and the whole episode could really be axed (mainly the first half, the second half featuring the alien was decent).

I'm not that disappointed, but I'll chalk it up as a last opportunity by the creators for a semi-comedic episode before the last two episodes concluding the series which will no doubt veer on the dramatic side of things.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 8, 2017

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Sjs00 posted:

i dunno, killing the person that ruined your life since the moment you were born and then joining in killing the next person who ruined your life would probably make someone 'get better'

It's a bit simplistic, but yeah, I don't usually expect a fantasy/sci-fi adventure series to present a serious portrait of overcoming a lifetime of abusive conditioning. Assassins raised to kill a hero joining them instead is par for the course, I don't think Samurai Jack ever sold itself as a deconstruction or heavily concerned with realism.

I guess the tone of the season so far and the long break since the original may have led to mixed expectations, since it started from such a dark place with Jack traumatized by his failures. He seemed to really be carrying those fifty years of failures, whereas since regaining the sword he's basically back to his old self. It's been years since I've seen the original show I recall Jack being the sort of guy who'd get flustered or be a little lighthearted, which contributed to the episode feeling more like one of the old plot-light, monster-of-the-week ones.

Edit:

Moon Slayer posted:

listen. im not upset jack and ashi ended up together because i wanted them to be gay, im upset because i didnt want any relationship at all
like this is the classic “men and women cant be friends” trope where a relationship that would be better off platonic turns romantic and it sucks!! like now we have to deal with more straight poo poo where it really isnt necessary and it loving sucks!!

I might be stepping on a rake here but I don't think a man and a woman not being friends doesn't mean that men and women can't be friends, just that these two aren't. I do think some kind of personal relationship between Ashi and Jack helps sell the idea that Jack has reasons to consider staying in the present rather than go back to the past (assuming that's where the story is going), and it could've been some other kind of connection - if they'd stuck to playing Jack as an older, weary mentor figure, then a mentor/student or surrogate father/daughter relationship may have also worked - but it helps having a specific person embody Jack's reason to stay and a romantic relationship does do that.

Edit2: Oh, hey Moon Slayer! I didn't recognize you at first!

Dolash fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 8, 2017

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I guess ill drop my 2 cents and say that when given a final 10 episodes of sam jack I wasnt expecting what feels like atleast half of it to be devoted to Aishi. It really does feel like a self insert fanfic character because since she started traveling with Jack she has gotten just as much if not more focus than the main character.

Also I want way more ah coo damnit

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The fact that I can drop unsourced tumblr posts into the thread and they don't stand out should tell you something about the level of discourse in TVIV.

Macksy posted:

Edit2: Oh, hey Moon Slayer! I didn't recognize you at first!

Hi!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
On the one hand I totally get where people are coming from, romance is overdone, it's very tonally different from what Samurai Jack is known for, a mentor/disciple relationship was more theoretically interesting etc. I could sit here and try to fit in and pretend that I'm too good for this goofy, dumb, bullshit romance... but I'm not. This dumb, dumb poo poo is exactly in my wheelhouse, and I was giggling like an idiot at all the awkwardness, and burst out laughing when they smash cut to Ashi and Jack sucking face.

I can't call this a good episode, but I loved this episode. It was so dumb. :allears:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

EagerSleeper posted:

Is this what we're calling Gendy's writing attempts now?

Gendy has fallen the way of George Lucas. He is a good designer and animator, but his writing needs oversight from other people. Now that he is so senior and well respected amongst fans, no one wanted to try and question his decisions lest they be fired.

Edit: now that this is the top post of a new page, I do want to try and add some positivity to discuss. Phil Lemarr does an excellent job as an awkward Jack. That is some quality acting.

i hope this doesnt mean that samurai jack fans have fallen the way of star wars fans.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Moon Slayer posted:

The fact that I can drop unsourced tumblr posts into the thread and they don't stand out should tell you something about the level of discourse in TVIV.

I'll admit, the grammar threw me. I don't want to dismiss people who may be tired of male and female lead romances though, I think it's fair to want to see both a greater variety in relations between men and women and a greater diversity in romantic ones, but I wouldn't hold it against a particular series if they don't. The episode certainly had some other issues either way.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Dolash posted:

I guess the tone of the season so far and the long break since the original may have led to mixed expectations, since it started from such a dark place with Jack traumatized by his failures. He seemed to really be carrying those fifty years of failures, whereas since regaining the sword he's basically back to his old self. It's been years since I've seen the original show I recall Jack being the sort of guy who'd get flustered or be a little lighthearted, which contributed to the episode feeling more like one of the old plot-light, monster-of-the-week ones.

Exactly. I don't usually expect a fantasy/sci-fi adventure series to really go into the nitty gritty of how PTSD, suicidial thoughts, and 50 years of killing and violence will affect even the greatest of heroes either; but that's what Season 5 did for half it's run. And it did a really good job of it! So I wasn't expecting Jack and Ashi's relationship to become so...cheesy in comparison.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
It's not even the romance itself I didn't care for in the most recent episode, it was the weird way in which it was handled.

Obligatory armchair script doctor notes: Remove the naked hijinks, goo goo eyes, and awkward hand touching scenes. Focus on the cool tiger assassins and the worm creature from the outer space SSD. Keep the jump cut to them kissing at the end, though. Would have been much nicer if that was just a pleasant surprise at the end of a good episode rather than the culmination of a terrible subplot that overshadowed the rest of the episode.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

Hi!

isn't it more a comment on what people think of you

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Moon Slayer posted:

I mean multiple people literally said source your quotes so it did stick out a little.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mandatory lesbian posted:

nah

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

spit on my clit posted:

i hope this doesnt mean that samurai jack fans have fallen the way of star wars fans.

Until people start arguing about what levels of canon season 5 is compared to the previous seasons, we're never that far down.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Jellymouth posted:

It's not even the romance itself I didn't care for in the most recent episode, it was the weird way in which it was handled.

Obligatory armchair script doctor notes: Remove the naked hijinks, goo goo eyes, and awkward hand touching scenes. Focus on the cool tiger assassins and the worm creature from the outer space SSD. Keep the jump cut to them kissing at the end, though. Would have been much nicer if that was just a pleasant surprise at the end of a good episode rather than the culmination of a terrible subplot that overshadowed the rest of the episode.

Just cut it down to like a tenth of each. One awkward hand brush, keep the bit with the hats, and maybe one flustered wardrobe malfunction moment with the leeches (that doesn't drag on). Would've gotten the point across about as well.

Keep the song though. The song is Good.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

If this episode were earlier in a longer season, I'd be more inclined to like it. As it is, this episode is filler, and the romance subplot is unnecessary. I understand it from a character perspective - Jack and Ashi were alone in every sense of the word, and they've been in physical and emotional contact for an extended period of time. After that particular brush with death, their need to cling to something drives to have sex. From a plot standpoint, this introduces another element that the season isn't going to resolve well given the lack of time they can devote to it.

This season is too short for all the ideas they're trying to pack into it. The last few episodes especially need rewrites. Here's a basic plot outline I have for episodes 6-10.

Episode 6 - Shorten the bathing scene. It's necessary, but did we really need to see Ashi's body like that? No, no we didn't.

Episode 7 - Extend Jack's tea ceremony sequence while Ashi fights the orc army offscreen. Extend the fight with Mother.

Episode 8 - Scaramouche reaches Aku, and informs him that Jack is missing his sword. He also informs Aku of the Guardian's time portal, and suggests that Jack would head there. Heartened, Aku leaves his home to search for him. Meanwhile, Jack and Ashi wander the desert. They encounter the Scotsman's ghost, who ribs them about being in love (cue romance, if it must be included). Eventually, Jack and Ashi stumble across the Guardian's time portal, and after reuniting with the Guardian, Jack defeats him. After the Guardian allows Jack to enter the portal, Jack and Ashi say their goodbyes, but just as Jack is about to walk in, the Guardian dies, and Aku appears.

Episode 9 - Aku mocks Jack and Ashi before fighting them. Ashi talks about her past to Aku, much to his confusion, and her intent to destroy him. Aku initially has the upper hand while fighting the both of them. After they hide, Ashi suggests that she holds Aku off while Jack makes a run for the portal, and Jack agrees after some persuasion. If romance is necessary, eye contact, a quick hug, and/or a quick kiss would work. Ashi manages to hold off Aku, and Jack returns to the past.

Episode 10 - Jack and Ashi simultaneously fight and defeat Aku in the past and future. If the timelines are split, then Jack and Ashi lead happy lives protecting the innocent in their respective timelines. If there is only one timeline, Ashi is still born in the future, but is the closest spiritual successor to Jack. Cue ending.

This moves the plot forward while still allowing time for several touchstones of the series and further character development. Otherwise, there isn't enough time to resolve all the plot points and necessary touchstones well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
But there's only one sword. Ashi would die to Future Aku.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But there's only one sword. Ashi would die to Future Aku.

I forgot that. Either Ashi would have to use his sword and toss it through the portal, or a new one would have to be forged for her.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The smashcut to them making out with corny music was legitimately hilarious. The rest of it could have been handled better but fuckit, I'll let it slide because I laughed. :unsmith:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I disagree with many of the "this episode was bad" posts but I will agree with most everyone that the season probably needed to be longer make little one-offs like this episode not seem like "filler". I actually have liked the last few as they feel more episodic like the old show, but the serialized nature of this season ultimately does make them feel out of place.

Serge Painsbourg posted:

I forgot that. Either Ashi would have to use his sword and toss it through the portal, or a new one would have to be forged for her.

Jack should just sit around meditating and getting zapped by deities and becoming a one-man magic sword factory

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 8, 2017

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

TwoPair posted:

Until people start arguing about what levels of canon season 5 is compared to the previous seasons, we're never that far down.

Jack kissed first!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

if theyre in love one of them will die

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Oh, yeah, the naked leech thing: I had an immediate flashback to a YouTuber who would do one-off LPs of awful dating sims. One of them was fantasy-based and kept coming up with more and more convoluted reasons the monsters were only destroying the girls' clothes. And one was leeches that, yes, only eat fabric.

Samurai Jack made me think of a Japanese dating sim. It was not the pigeon one and therefore, it is not a good thing.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

jack has never been in love.

...and in emmy award winning episode "four seasons of death" he almost succumbs to love at the expense of his life
a lesson learned

but nevertheless, a man unsullied. determined. alone.

he is finally happy. whole.
...didn't we need this?
......did we want him to suffer, endlessly?

no!

history remains un-erased.
jack, however, is once again whole. alive. appreciative of why we are born at all.

the episode isn't meant as catharsis. jack has something to lose again. aku must not be allowed to take it.

*edit: again.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Thank you.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I legitimately respect the storytelling. It's been over a decade since people knew what was happening. To expect them to watch 4 seasons of prologue is asking too much. If you draw the season as an arc, we're at the apogee.

The nakedness is for future artists to masturbate over.
The vulnerability is for people to relate to.

Deal with the fact that Jack is finally redeemed.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So the newest episode of Samurai Jack has everyone throwing fits. Whether you’re pro-Jashi or anti-Jashi, a lot of people are taking a very firm stance.

And really, when it comes to things like this I’m reminded that I’m considered old in fandom terms.

I may only be 21, but a lot of the people involved in this discourse range from ages, a lot of them I’ve noticed to be rather young. And maybe it’s this new mentality that’s been going around, that shows need to cater to the audience, but allow me to put in my two cents. (I’m going to sound like an old grandma telling her kids about her time, excuse me.)

I think my first major fandom was Naruto. Like, I was REALLY into Naruto for years, to where that was all I talked about. It got me heavily into shipping characters, simply because there were so many dynamics and such to work with. That’s where “Crack Shipping” came to my knowledge.

I feel like that was very instrumental to how I think about shows and the canon relationships they portray vs the non-canon ones. Personally, I don’t care what a show offers as a canon relationship. Whether I ship it or not, I will tolerate it. Why? Because I’m not a piss baby.

Seriously, what does it matter if something is official or not?

Like here’s the thing, my biggest, forever fandom that I will always go back to is South Park. I LOVE SOUTH PARK. I grew up with the show, but didn’t really get into the fandom until I was in about…6th grade?? Around that time I started to develope ships, and one of my biggest (actually my forever biggest) was Creek.

And what do you know!! Creek is canon now!!! But whether or not it ever became canon, I didn’t care. I liked it, so I drew content for it and read fics and just…enjoyed it. Did other people not like it? Sure! And they were within their rights to do so. You don’t have to like something just because a majority of the fandom does. Had Creek never become canon, I still would have enjoyed watching the show.

I guess what I’m trying to say here is that people are too invested in all of this. I personally never cared about whether or not Jashi became official, I actually really enjoyed the father/daughter or student/teacher dynamic. But I’m not devastated by this new episode.

Shows don’t need to cater to me. If I’m not personally a fan of what they’ve offered, I’ll create my own fanon in my head. I won’t complain. Because you know what??? I’m grateful for what I’m given. Y’all need to grow up.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am profoundly annoyed at your gimmick.

Good Job.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Moon Slayer posted:

Shows don’t need to cater to me. If I’m not personally a fan of what they’ve offered, I’ll create my own fanon in my head. I won’t complain. Because you know what??? I’m grateful for what I’m given. Y’all need to grow up.

Here's the problem; I, at least, am not upset about them hooking up due to it not being as. interesting. I'm upset because it goes against my sense of ethics, for reasons already explained. That, and the romance was very awkwardly handled.

That said...I read an episode spoiler of episode 9, and while I don't know what all is going to happen, I've seen one YouTube come up with one VERY brilliant possibility for how this romance can be used. Absolutely brilliant. If this idea is what Gendy chooses to do, and he does it well, we could have something truly special. Something that would easily eclipse even the first three episodes in sheer awesomeness.

So, I'm not counting him out just yet. We'll see what happens.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Timeless Appeal posted:

It was a fine normal episode of Samurai Jack.

Yeah, that's the thing. I think if this was an episode of Samurai Jack that had aired during its original run I'd probably say "not the best, kind of weird he suddenly has a love interest, but it's alright."

But the first three episodes just set that bar so drat high. The tension, the mystery, the choreography...there's just no measuring up. I wish they could have stuck to that the whole time, but maybe you can't recapture that without keeping it as constrained as it started out.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Moon Slayer posted:

I think my first major fandom was Naruto. Like, I was REALLY into Naruto for years, to where that was all I talked about. It got me heavily into shipping characters, simply because there were so many dynamics and such to work with. That’s where “Crack Shipping” came to my knowledge.

Hi, I'm permabanned poster Akustomper58...

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I expected debate about the love story. But I also expected far more screencaps of the tiger men then I got, this thread is disappointing me :colbert:

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

The kiss really isn't really surprising. This is really no different then the olympic athletes loving each other in the olympic village. They're both physically attractive, they both enjoy each other's company, hell they might even like each other, and they just went through a high stress situation. Let them enjoy happiness, however temporary it will be. Was it heavy handed? Obviously, but the issue being that

In terms of Ashi being mentally a child, she just went through her own world journey searching for jack in episode 6. And she saves him from suicide. Hell that grants her power over Jack that no one else has. We don't know how much time passes in the episodes.

And really, do you expect Jack of all people to take advantage of someone? Mr 50 years of hopeless and depression? Who for 15 or so years traveled across the world by himself to train to kill Aku? Though really the fluff ball in episode 4 accusing Jack of saving her just to get something out of it can be noted. Up until Episode 6 the mentor relationship was definitely a possibility, but well, he complimented her dress and hair.

Pacing is a criticism I understand, and in theory removing the romantic plot might fix that. However there really isn't that much incentive for him to stay in the future. Fun times with Scotsman yea, but nothing really enticing. For the final decision, staying in the future or in the past, he must now make the decision to give up the Ashi he knows and cares for. Even if it's just 50 years into the past and striking down Aku so past Jack can go into the portal to kill past Aku, he'll lose Ashi. So yeah Gennedy could have just written it as a teacher/mentor relationship, but really that works a lot less when they're really equal in standing to each other (they saved each other's lives respectively). Or hell, some say get rid of Ashi all together. But that would ruin the whole point of the show for Gennedy whose inspiration for the series was him and his waifu going around kicking bad guys in the post-apocalypse with a samurai sword.

Also for the personal standpoint, I hate relationships that only ever really begin at the last five minutes of a series. Its what made the Octus/Kimmie relationship really good in Symbionic Titan (to think a relationship can begin with what four minutes of interaction?). It's what made Kim/Ron that much better in Kim Possible when the final season had them dealing with the relationship.

But yea complaining about the age gap means pairings like Doctor/Rose should never happen.

Also to make up for the long rant here's another tiger picture.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
A hundred new posts, eh? I imagine at least 3/4 of them are salty at the Jashi thing...

*opens thread*

Yyyyyyyyep.

Add me to the "I enjoyed this episode" crowd. It was lighthearted and cheesy as all get out, and Dean Martin's Everybody Loves Somebody ending made me laugh aloud.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

To those of you condemning Jack, I think you guys are forgetting that Jack is a relationship novice as well. He hasn't had many good relationships, sexual or other wise. He's acting like an awkward teenager because, despite being 70-ish, he's never had a decent relationship with a woman.

Now that he's gone off 50 years of being grimdark and angry and back to his old self, a part of his humanity is coming back and he has no idea how to deal with it.

Before you get mad at Jack and say he should know better, ask yourself how the gently caress he would know that? Certainly not from personal experience. I don't think relationship ethics was on the training regime when he was preparing to fight Aku during his entire adolescence.

Jacks' a man with legendary focus and patience, but not infinitely so. He has no idea how to deal with what he's feeling and neither does Ashi. The ending isn't far-fetched at all.

It may not be a good choice, but given the wildly strange situation they are in, it's an understandable ending.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

i am entirely against it bc ashi is 18 and jack is like 70

I handwaved it away as time travel fuckery and Why You Shouldn't Do It. Still tho I'm happy jack has someone. Love and hate are two sides on one coin? :shrug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tenasscity posted:

To those of you condemning Jack, I think you guys are forgetting that Jack is a relationship novice as well. He hasn't had many good relationships, sexual or other wise. He's acting like an awkward teenager because, despite being 70-ish, he's never had a decent relationship with a woman.

Now that he's gone off 50 years of being grimdark and angry and back to his old self, a part of his humanity is coming back and he has no idea how to deal with it.

Before you get mad at Jack and say he should know better, ask yourself how the gently caress he would know that? Certainly not from personal experience. I don't think relationship ethics was on the training regime when he was preparing to fight Aku during his entire adolescence.

Jacks' a man with legendary focus and patience, but not infinitely so. He has no idea how to deal with what he's feeling and neither does Ashi. The ending isn't far-fetched at all.

It may not be a good choice, but given the wildly strange situation they are in, it's an understandable ending.

Jack is a fictional character. This isn't that episode of Futarama where Leela got the ideas for her kids show by going to another planet and stealing everyday antics from the inhabitants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You can't prove that the real future isn't Aku :colbert:

• Locked thread