Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

Good for you. But you're spouting the same arguments that the people who didn't vote or voted for Trump did.

Because they're right, Hillary is corrupt. Trump's worse, but he's just the next step in corruption, not an entirely different beast altogether.

Sorry I'm not pretending that dems taking massive amounts of money in exchange for favors isn't corrupt and that republicans are the only corrupt ones in congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

In terms of the corruption scale she's a 2.3 and he's a 7 billion. Scale and perspective matter.

I'd expect a non-fascist to be less corrupt than a fascist, yes. But pretending hillary isn't very corrupt is part of the reason fascism is on the rise. Tolerating corruption only lets it fester and grow worse. Corruption weakens people's faith in their government and gives demagogues like trump room to grow.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 20, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Wouldn't false equivalency lead to neither candidate getting a vote?

Anything that's not a vote for hillary is automatically a vote for trump. All third parties would normally vote dem, if only voters weren't so dumb. That includes votes for the constitution party and Libertarian party btw.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

It's your fault she didn't campaign or reach out to rust belt voters.

Way to go Condiv, you sold the US to Russia.

gently caress, when's my treason trial?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Bernie both outraised and outspent Clinton during portions of the primary, of course.

which is good evidence that we don't need corporate donors to reach an effective level of campaign cash.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

sure, and it's also not a reason to be discouraged about the future

dems continuing to take corporate dollars is though, cause they cannot address their constituents' needs and be sucking at that tap at the same time

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

found this while reading up on her senate win: from 2001

https://web.archive.org/web/20070322114708/http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/pardons/overview.html

quote:

The outrage following the Rich pardon prompted Clinton to defend himself in an op-ed article that appeared in the New York Times on February 18, 2001. Clinton wrote that while he waived the criminal charges against Rich and Green, the two men are still liable for any civil charge the government might bring against them.

"The suggestion that I granted the pardons because Mr. Rich's former wife, Denise, made political contributions and contributed to the Clinton library foundation is utterly false," Clinton wrote. "There was absolutely no quid pro quo. Indeed, other friends and financial supporters sought pardons in cases which, after careful consideration based on the information available to me, I determined I could not grant."

However, revelations of pardons Clinton granted to people linked to friends and supporters kept growing as the list of his 11th-hour actions was further scrutinized.

Sen. Hillary Clinton said that she herself had been unaware until the evening of February 19 that her brother, lawyer Hugh Rodham, received $400,000 to lobby for two wealthy felons.

Under pressure from his sister, Rodham said he would return the money he was rewarded after clemency was granted for Almon Glenn Brawell, who was convicted of mail fraud and perjury, and Carlos Vignali, a cocaine trafficker.

Sen. Clinton told a news conference that she was "disappointed" and "heartbroken" when she learned about the roles of her brother and husband in the commutations.

The new senator also had to deflect criticism over the disclosure that her campaign treasurer, William Cunningham III, helped obtain clemency for Robert Fain and James Manning, two tax felons from Arkansas.

Cunningham acknowledged at a news conference that he received $4,000 in legal fees to prepare Justice Department applications on behalf of Fain and Manning, restaurant operators from Little Rock. Cunningham's law partner is Harold Ickes, Clinton's former White House deputy chief of staff and an adviser to Hillary Clinton. Cunningham said that television producer Harry Thomason, a long- time Clinton friend from Arkansas, also played a role in seeking pardons for Fain and Manning.

hillary is definitely not corrupt. not at all

she only has to remind us every couple of years that there was no quid pro quo

Condiv fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 20, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yep, dems are done

too incompetent to govern, much less get elected. rest in donald trump's piss dem party

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

I am worried about the next election but what was going on in this thread re: false equivalency between Clinton and Trump was dumb and had to be responded to.

that was in your head cause i never said clinton was as corrupt as trump, just that she's corrupt.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

You seemed very worried about a who gives a poo poo like Chelsea Clinton getting a good job.

i am very worried that dem leadership is beholden to large corporations and not at all interested in helping the poor. gifts to hillary clinton from NBC are unethical and corrupt, and hillary knows better. we need clearheaded dems who aren't too beholden to a corporate agenda to be able to fight effectively or we'll have 8 years of trump or worse.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

would jefferson clay freak out if he ever had to go to vermont? sounds like it's a state full of berniecrats. they even vote for bernie over real democrats

a state full of backstabbers

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i think the article was written before the primary election but bernie won as the democrat candidate, declined it, and thus no one else could run as a democrat in the general

bernie-san.. shinjirarenai....

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

clinton was hilariously unpopular throughout the race. she started off hated and ended up loathed.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

you know who would've really won though.....

bernie sanders

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

Actually, she was at 47/47 the day she announced, was at 48/46 (-2) a month later when Bernie announced, and then she drops to around 56/41 (-14) in the next few months and stays there through the convention and the election. So she started off hated by republicans and she ended up loathed by republicans and Bernouts.

and just about everyone. that's why she couldn't beat a racist orange goblin. or was she just too lazy to beat him? in any case she sucks and was the second most disliked pres candidate in history and she was so incompetent she lost to the most disliked.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Ze Pollack posted:

Candidate who loses the entire rust belt says what

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Main Paineframe posted:

The only people who saw the DNC chair election as "Sanders candidate vs Clinton candidate" were the leftist Bernie diehards, who made up a relatively small portion of the people who voted for Bernie.

would you say it's a.... nothingburger?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Main Paineframe posted:

No? That's not even close to what I said. I saw it as different wings of the establishment having a disagreement over who would best appeal to Rust Belt factory workers, racial minorities, and other traditionally Democratic groups who were noted for their lower-than-expected turnout or higher-than-expected Trump support in 2016. Ellison's leftist battle for control of the DNC was a figment of overly optimistic imaginations; it was never about the left, it was about groups who actually mattered in the 2016 general.

Now, whether TPP Tom was the right pick for that is a separate question, but that's got nothing to do with who endorsed who. Besides, the best candidate was Buttigieg by a mile - Keith and Tom were both big-money-loving establishment shitheads.

they're so fundamentally the same that obama personally took time off from his private island dream vacation to whip delegtes for perez. it was such a nothingburger position that ellison got smeared as anti-semtic repeatedly over it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

Ellison also said all the broke brained people who have more beef with Hillary than Trump were incomprehensible so let's not pretend you actually give a poo poo about his views on how the party should function.

i got beef with lots of people

i just don't post in the trump thread much cause it's drat hard to follow

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

thank god we picked the candidate of trump-lover dershowitz to lead us to victory against trump

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

dems allowed loving trumpish muslim-hatred to be spread by alan dershowitz amongst the delegates. way to go guys, doing a bang up job of resisting trump already.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

you know what else would've helped hillary? if she and the DNC weren't so intent to cheat. we lost one DNC chair cause she was colluding with hillary, and then brazile says she wasn't gonna allow that anymore, knowing that she had just played favorites with hillary a few days before. and then she gets caught on it a few days before the election and she lies more.

its amazing how stupid the dems are. was leaking debate questions to hillary worth jeapordizing her candidacy? oh, we haven't even gotten to the point where dems ask themselves that, because they still refuse to admit the primaries were a rigged farce

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

Nothing the DNC did mattered in the outcome of the primary. They aren't nearly that competent.

yeah, until theres actually been a look into "what the dem party did" i'm gonna doubt that. all we've seen is what's leaked, and we hear new things every so often, like the DNC punishing people who endorsed bernie.

the dems have still not been straightforward with how the DNC was loving with the primary. hell, we just got a confession from brazile about the debate questions

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

What happened in the party with everyone lining up behind her in 2014 is not a DNC issue. They don't have the power to do that.

guy tried to endorse bernie, so this wouldn't be in 2014

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

That story in NJ is loving infuriating but that is how politics in NJ works. 90% of our democrats are utterly horrible. It has nothing to do with the DNC.

that should be looked into too, but don't you think the poo poo that has come out of the DNC so far warrants an investigation into meddling in the primary and attempts to prevent this kind of poo poo from happening again to restore faith in the party?

the party circling the wagons and saying nothingburger while at the same time claiming these revelations cost them the election is a losing strategy

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

Which revelations cost them the election?

brazile's debate questions leaked a few days before the election. dems certainly thought it was damaging enough they lied their asses off about it till now

the original revelations wrt dws also hurt them alot and caused a bad schism in the party that may have contributed to hillary's loss (it almost certainly didn't help). those revelations were damaging enough that DWS had to step down way ahead of schedule.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 21, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

None of that had anything to do with the outcome of the either the primary or general.

so you don't think dem meddling in the primary should be investigated because you don't think dem meddling hurt them at all in the general. ok, that's kinda naive since we already know hillary's favorabilty sank alongside said scandals. however, why do you think we should not investigate the extent to which the DNC abrogated its duty to remain neutral during the primaries? we already have multiple examples of the DNC acting in favor of certain candidates, and we need to know to what extent the DNC acted in favor of a candidate and try to find a way to prevent something like that happening to restore faith in the dem party.

i don't know if you know this, but it's not just hillary's favorability that's in the toilet, the dems' are too. the DNC loving around with the primaries really hurt the dems with the public, and we need to deal with that.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I agree the whole thing is lovely but:

A: The DNC has no such duty

B: The public doesn't care

The public has no faith in the DNC because up until a couple months ago, it had an unsellable platform, and it has no idea how to sell the better platform it has now. Brazile and DWS failed by being lovely fundraisers and bad strategists for a loving decade. Ratfucking bernie is a tiny drop in a vast ocean of poo poo that is (was?) the DNC leadership. (threw that ratfuck in there for ma boi JC, what's up hilldawg)

basicallly, ignore the problem instead of fix it (cause we think it doesn't matter). too bad dems don't think any of their problems matter, and hence they put out retarded poo poo like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju3K9bqPTeM

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

That's DSCC not DNC

Oh, criticism withdrawn then. I was worried the dems were pursuing the same failed strategy that airs substanceless ads that only give trump free attention instead of achieving anything. Obviously not since it's the DSCC behind this rather than the DNC.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Condiv posted:

basicallly, ignore the problem instead of fix it (cause we think it doesn't matter). too bad dems don't think any of their problems matter, and hence they put out retarded poo poo like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju3K9bqPTeM

what is this video's message? it's message is to ask people to think about donald's healthcare plan

it provides no information about donald's healthcare plan

it shows images of what we I assume are people selling their cars and their wedding ring to pay for their kid's treatment (but it leaves this up to the viewer to infer!?)

problem #1: encouraging free thought is good, but in a political ad, you want to sell a thought. you want to sell your party's ideology, not ask people to generate one for themselves. are you idiots?

problem #2: the bad actions that we're supposed to associate with donald trump's healthcare plan is something people already have to deal with under obamacare and could be associated with the status quo. oops!

problem #3: show don't tell is good for movies, not so much an advertisement where you want people to come to a specific conclusion. as i mentioned before, the scenes of people selling their poo poo? some people may not make the connection you're wanting them to make. some may have an entirely different interpretation of your ad! that's good for movies, we want people to be able to interpret stories as they see fit. it's not good when you're trying to convince people to your side, in that case you want people to see things your way.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i mean, it feels like the wind up to a senate run to me, but who knows, maybe she really helped a lot of inner city schools with the healthy schools program or something. i really don't know anything about what she did in there other than she's vice-chair of the board of directors

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You were saying "the DNC should be investigated" like they committed some sort of crime. Being a lovely private organization that sucks is not a crime. I'm not forgiving them for anything, I'm telling you there's nothing to investigate because they didn't break any laws.

they violated their own charter which demands they remain neutral during a primary

there are a lot of people in the dem base pissed about that. it's not an uncommon sentiment that bernie was cheated. we need an investigation to find to what extent that is true and how to prevent it in the future so people don't lose all faith in our party (like they are currently with its new lovely leadership)

i mean, the dem party is currently bleeding popularity: http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/democratic-party-favorable-rating

as you can see, 50% of the nation doesn't view us favorably

a little less than 40% like us. the trends are for the people who view us favoribly to continue to shrink, and those who hate us to grow. that's bad. that's real loving bad especially when you stack us up against trump:

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/donald-trump-favorable-rating

loving donald trump is more popular than the dem party

donald loving racist imp grab em by the pussy trump is more popular than the democratic party. and people HATE trump.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 22, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Ze Pollack posted:

One, not gonna help the party's numbers. Nobody outside of a few die-hard bernie supporters cares in any meaningful way about it, and of those that do care about it those that want an investigation are wholly outweighed by the ones who accept the DNC's resistance to an outsider campaign as the price of running an outsider campaign. The best case scenario is that it's a total waste of everyone involved's time. The worst case scenario is that the fishing expedition turns up something right wing media can run with for a few more years to distract from Trump's ongoing shitshow.

Two, the people running the investigation will necessarily be high-ranking DNC types. What do you want to bet they find they committed no wrongdoing.

no, letting people we know lied and hosed with an election remain in leadership positions within the dems will certainly help our numbers. making sure people know we're blatantly corrupt and unwilling to do anything about it to will certainly attract people in droves to the democrats.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 22, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

who do we need to look to for the future? people that have been MIA since the trumpening

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

They hosed up in the original article:

that explains it

though i'm not sure doing what the government should be doing for us in a sane system deserves an impact award

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I mean She's Not Wrong if Sanders comes out and says this in his big "why I'm a socialist" speech

when even our socialists are capitalist, I don't know why everyone's up in arms over "We Are Capitalists"

because when asked how the party was gonna move left, she said "we are capitalists". that moving left to someone like bernie sanders anymore wouldn't be possible because he's not capitalist, he's socialist

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

her answer was an explicit endorsement of this

i watched the video. she said capitalism had flaws and offered no solution to those flaws. this is when she was asked to move left, to admittedly capitalist senator bernie sanders' pov. and she said that we can't, because "we're capitalist"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I mean, gently caress, Sanders keeps pointing to the Nordic model, which sure as poo poo is capitalism.

then why does nancy pelosi reject him for not being capitalist? that's why people are pissed about that answer.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Majorian posted:

Because calling for Full Communism Now is unlikely to attract more than a single-digit percentage of voters.

But also because European-style social democracy is a demonstrable real-world example of an alternative to American capitalism actually functioning well.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Frijolero posted:

And we're back to "Hillary was a cool adult, Trump is a baby dummy."

Hillary was a neoliberal snore, while Trump promised jobs.

Nobody faults LBJ for promising too much. He's admired for doing as much as he could in the amount of time he had. We didn't get a Great Society or complete equal rights, but we got social programs and civil protections.

Hillary promised gently caress-all and lost. How do Hillary fanboys and centrist Democrats not understand that people have to like you and what you stand for in order to win elections???

because they've warped their thinking till the cart is in front of the horse. voters have to vote regularly as a politician to see benefit. dems are owed your vote by default and will cater to you once you vote enough

• Locked thread