Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Those funding details and additional regulations are apparently coming. There's 2 more bills to come to complete the reform package.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/839108868584124417?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Ahahaha. What happened to "I've got a great healthcare bill that's going to lower costs and increase coverage, and we're going to pass it in the first month of my administration"?

You need 60 votes in the Senate to pass allowing interstate sales of health insurance, and good luck getting 8 Democrats to go along with your agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Craig K posted:

so after the senate takes out the "mulch poor and sick people to use as fertilizer for their garden mazes" rider out the freedom caucus throws a hissy fit and votes it down and meanwhile everybody that voted "yes", despite the bills defeat, immediately deals with hearing "{x} voted to take away YOUR HEALTHCARE" and loses re election

im down

The political dynamics of that seem really similar to that climate change bill that passed in 2009 but died in the Senate

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
To be fair to Obamacare's legislative strategy, it looks like regulations such as guaranteed issue, community rating, and essential health benefits can't be repealed without 60 votes in the Senate, which is a major impediment to GOP repeal efforts. I know some conservatives are harping on legislative mumbo-jumbo about Pence being able to waive away those rules, but if they abandon the 60-vote threshold for passing healthcare bills, Democrats are definitely pushing through the public option if not single payer next time they get a simple Senate majority.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Single payer is not Democrat policy.

quote:

In a sign of shifting sympathies, most House Democrats have now endorsed a single-payer proposal. Party strategists say they expect that the 2020 presidential nominee will embrace a broader version of public health coverage than any Democratic standard-bearer has in decades.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/03/us/democrats-universal-health-care-single-payer-party.html

MooselanderII posted:

I think pretend is the operative word here. Next time Democrats control the Senate, no such pretense should be maintained.

Yup, that's what I was getting at. If Senate Republicans commit political seppuku by passing AHCA, and especially through questionable legislative maneuvers in order to do so, Democrats would just be able to pass whatever they want with 50 votes next time they have the Senate.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Let's say that McConnell makes good on his threat to actually negotiate with Democrats to 'fix' the health insurance market. Is there even a plausible bill that could garner 60 votes in the Senate? I'd imagine it would have to have at least 10 Democratic votes, as people like Paul, Cruz, and Lee I cannot see voting for a bill that would be amenable to 10 Democrats in any way.

I mean when it boils down to it when I think of 'fixing' Obamacare I think of providing more generous subsidies and enforcing the individual mandate more strictly. I find it difficult to believe that there would be enough Republicans willing to stomach voting for such a bill.

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Trump is a guy who has probably never shopped for groceries in his entire life so it probably is too much for him to comprehend healthcare needs for the vast majority of people.

Reminds me of the infamous quote by former senator Ben Nelson, who said he had never used an ATM:

quote:

One amendment never debated was a proposal from Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) to cap ATM fees. The Senate's lack of interest in the issue may stem from a lack of experience with ATMs -- at least in the case of Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.), the Omaha World-Herald reports.

When asked about the amendment, Nelson said he is unfamiliar with the charges incurred when a customer uses an ATM not affiliated with his or her bank.

"I've never used an ATM, so I don't know what the fees are," Nelson reportedly said, adding that he gets his cash from bank tellers, just not automatic ones. "It's true, I don't know how to use one."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ben-nelson-i-dont-know-how-to-use-an-atm/