Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Anecdotally, if this goes through, I'm cancelling my health insurance as soon as open enrollment comes up. Hope the insurance companies love losing all their healthy customers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

Then when you get hit by a car we all get to pay for your bills in the ER, but since you won't be eligible for physical therapy or corrective surgeries, we also get to pay so that your crippled rear end doesn't die of starvation! All win!

Boy, I hope so!

:toot:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If they pass the bill, everything breaks. If they don't pass the bill, nothing happens.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

Sen. Thom Tillis (N.C.) — “My Republican colleagues would be making a mistake if they become content with failing to produce the perfect at the expense of achieving good, practical solutions to reform our nation’s broken healthcare system,” Tillis said in a statement.

What the gently caress does this even mean?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That is the most honest name for any bill ever.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just had to talk my grandmother out of selling her house. She's terrified because the news channels told her Republicans are going to take away her Medicaid - she has COPD and needs to live on $10,000 / year. And she just got a letter saying her food stamps are being reduced to $16 / month. gently caress Paul Ryan.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, I was shocked too. They started her at $180, then it went down to $82, and now it's going down to $16. It's a joke.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

Walker has been openly espousing the idea that you only get drug treatment if you go into a job training program or work at the same time. Ideologues will still find a way to completely fail at saving their constituents from the white horse.

Aren't these the same people who think you shouldn't be allowed to have a job if you use drugs? How is that supposed to work? :psyduck:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Koch brothers want the bill to fail. They were funding commercials about it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh poo poo, that means he was in it when I walked past it a little bit ago. I didn't flip him off as I walked by because I didn't think he was there. :sigh:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Not true at all.

The bill to end the congressional exception was a separate bill, precisely so the Senate can filibuster it. And anything in the AHCA bill that violates reconciliation can get stripped out rather than making it automatically filibusterable.

Also filibusters require 60 senators to break, not 2/3rds.

The dems need to make sure that separate bill passes if the AHCA does. Make the republicans lie in their own bed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's probably hoping opposition will die down, so call your representatives over the weekend.

Call over the weekend nothing; they're going home for the week. Show up at their house.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yes, it's your freedom to choose to die of treatable illness.

But not assisted suicide. :911:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/15/opinions/cruz-amendment-smart-policy-moore/index.html

gently caress you, CNN.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zero chance any Republicans accept that. "Not in my backyardtaxes" is the Republican mating call.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nobody's death from brain cancer is good, you grognards. Jesus.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

So was McCain playing a long game? Vote yes on debate just to put himself in a position to then vote No on whatever McConnell came up with? If so, I have a sudden nugget of respect for him...

I think he wanted to see what actually came back. McCain is a conservative because he cares deeply about the way the system has always worked and the history behind it. That's what made him vote against the bill in the end - the lack of respect for the process. And probably because he doesn't really care about sticking it to Obama as much as everyone else seems to, even though he ran against him and lost.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

I hope they leave it for this year at least, because my nerve are frayed not knowing whether there will be health insurance available for purchase next year. Logically, they should send some boffins into a room with a remit to come up with an actual plan that Republican voters like (not just Republican rich donors or politicians.)

9847839D chess: The Republicans knew it would fail but just wanted to sew chaos for as long as possible to ruin the market so they could say "See? It failed!"

This didn't happen. I watched Yertle McTurtle cry.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They still guard it. They have a trailer outside.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Yes, people would just not work, because you can afford shelter and food by using free healthcare instead!

:psyduck:

It also ignores the fact that progressive tax systems are intentionally structured to place the largest burden on the people who can afford it. This isn't going to raise your taxes if you're working part time at McDonalds.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Aumanor posted:

Do you actually need to kill private market? Out here in Poland we have universal healthcare and extensive private healthcare, often provided by employers.

We don't have to... but we'd sure like to. :getin:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Paracaidas posted:

Creating Single Payer without a broadbased tax is fantasy. If structured correctly, any tax increase on your part time burgerflipper would be dwarfed by the decrease in premiums/deductibles - but again, that requires work and thought being put into the creation of the bill.

Considering part time burger flippers don't currently have health insurance on their own and by and large just die or go into bankruptcy, I highly doubt that.

evilweasel posted:

payroll taxes are generally not all that progressive because they don't tax capital gains. they tax the working class at the expense of the investing class. this is true even of the income tax, which is progressive: the ultra-wealthy do not pay much, if any, of the ordinary income tax

That's why I didn't say payroll tax. I'm assuming the legislation would be well-designed, but maybe I'm giving too much credit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not going to lie. I immediately thought "is this going to save me any money?" and pulled up some paperwork to do the math. I'm a single male <30 making $95k/yr. My plan through work costs me $2,730 / year. If I assume I'm taking the standard deduction (I'm not, I itemize) and ignoring stuff like 401k and other deductions, that leaves me with $84,650 taxable income. So 4% of that is $3,386. I'm not going to sit here and itemize my deductions, but I think I would probably break even after all is said and done.

Edit - I ended up doing it anyways. With itemization, it's around 74k taxable so my Berniecare cost would be <$3k. If even I can break even on this AND end up with way better health care, people that aren't legitimately rich don't have a leg to stand on when they argue "But my taxes!" :qq:

I want to point out something, though - the article lumps everything together when it really consists of three different "options," they're not a single bill.

https://www.sanders.senate.gov/download/options-to-finance-medicare-for-all?inline=file

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 14, 2017

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Those are three categories of options (based, basically, on who's getting their taxes raised: the rich, wall street, or corporations), not three different options. He's saying they should consider all of those then pick the correct ones overall, not pick one group.

Ah, that makes sense. I kind of think a flat 4% surcharge is oddly regressive though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Blorange posted:

The best part is that the costs go heavily in your favor as soon as you actually use your coverage, assuming your work plan budget isn't including your deductible.

Yeah, my plan is terrible. I haven't been to the doctor or the optometrist at all because of a $1k deductible and lovely copays. I also have a bunch of cavities that need filling but stuff like paying off debt and house repairs come first. I literally only keep it so I don't have to pay the ACA penalties and in case I get hit by a bus.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

But COBRA! :downs:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I get the cheapest plan my employer offers and then never go to the doctor so I don't have to put effort into figuring this poo poo out. Yeah, our system is hosed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

The most beneficial part of being an IDS is that we can choke out other providers in the area. We'll pay claims if you go to the other hospital chain but we get special joy in making them dig up durable medical equipment maintenance logs.

How are there actual people that look at this and go "the free market knows best"?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Or it's that the ACA incentivizes people to go to the ER instead of a PCP. My girlfriend goes to the ER regularly for pain management and antibiotics (her jaw is messed up due to a botched extraction and gets infected) because it's free and faster. I'm sure her insurance pays out the nose for that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It was never about cost, it was about punishing people for using it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hahahahahaha. More like everyone's insurance is gonna go up when young healthy people leave the market.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Republicans posted:

So just how far does that "can't be denied insurance for pre-existing conditions" thing go because a spouse of a co-worker was just diagnosed with leukemia and neither of them have any insurance.

Does this spouse work? Quitting their job might count for a QLE.

Edit: After doing some more research, I'm pretty sure the law expects you to just die if this happens. I'm not joking.

Double edit: I would have the person with leukemia quit their job and tell the other person's company that they had insurance through the first job to force a QLE. Someone will probably look into that later and it's totally fraud, but I would commit fraud to get cancer treatments every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I guess if someone manages to get a NEW job, that should count either way, but... good luck.

As a bonus, if you go to jail for fraud you get healthcare!

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 8, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Assuming you have a GP that you're under. Getting a new physician can take a while since most seem to have waiting lists.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Most people will buy whatever is the cheapest thing their employer offers. Employers are going to start offering these "plans" because of course they will.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I finally realized the secret to getting my mom to vote democrat. "You're not getting a grand kid until we have socialized medicine."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

"You were the budget baby" is the new "You were adopted."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That poo poo is fuckin' crazy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

When all these pharmacists lose their jobs, will they be qualified to be GPs or are they completely hosed?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I can't believe we live in a timeline where the "Free medication coupons!" app is legit and NOT using it is the scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Good news! Your insurance covers a rental husband while yours is in the hospital."

However, the only covered options are Danny DeVito or Charlie Sheen.