Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Doesnt the abortion thing run up against row v wade somehow? For real thats almost as good as banning it to many.

Those fuckers cant resist taking shots at it. God its infuriating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Bueno Papi posted:

Eventually, the Cadillac Tax kicks in and it was meant to be 50% of ACA's revenue stream. I don't think it'll zero out ACA but it will make what it adds to the deficit much smaller. I can't imagine how AHCA will beat ACA in that regard. You can't square cutting taxes with additional expenditures and expect it to be deficit neutral. No matter how much you use the dynamic scoring cheat.

Republiland works like this tho - cut taxes, increase spending.

All checks out.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Typo posted:

it drops subsidies for young people and raises it for old people, it's the Republicans transferring wealth to their voter base

Jokes on you it only helps rich old people and rich in general (with the removal of tax increases from ACA funding)

That's why AARP doesn't like it

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Hollismason posted:

So apparently there's going to be some negotiations on this because the Freedom Caucus is super pissed. Has anyone heard or read of the additional changes so this could pass the house?

The change would be strike out all the healthcare law and leave it simply 'repeal the ACA', since that's what they have been pushing for. They say they want it free from other legislation to start with a clean slate, but that really justmeans there won't be a replacement

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Cheesus posted:

And yet I'm still going to be legitimately shocked when both the repeal and replace pass.

It'll pass

They're appealing to party loyalty and that's the big sell.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dmitri-9 posted:

That argument could work if the underlying insurance was useless. As it stands he is pushing some kind of 1950s soda jerk fantasy about visiting the town doctor when you have a tummy ache. But people don't worry that much about a GP visit, they want to know that if they need $200,000 of pharmaceuticals or surgery that they wont be told to go to Hell or the bread line. What is his plan to make things "more affordable" even Trump talked about reigning in rx drug prices.

He backed off on importing canadian drugs already, so i guess good luck there - since price controls seem to imply the market isn't free to set the price since 'demand' drive it, not realizing that people pay exhorbitant prices due to the counterpoint of death or an incredibly low quality of life.

Like my life would take a figureative and literal dump if i couldn't afford my meds, but i wouldn't immediately die

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
They caught this car and still have no idea what to do with it that isn't going to come back to haunt them

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Bubbacub posted:

Didn't Trump say that if the health care market collapsed, they can just blame the Democrats?

yes, but this falls apart when they ran on the repeal platform and control the gov't and have 100% power to repeal it - his statement was about letting the ACA fail and then blaming the dems.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Peven Stan posted:

Why not just repeal the employer mandate and the token tanning bed tax and call it a day GOP? Give them an inch and they'll try and take a mile, the crazy bastards

They cant. They have all the power but a failute to repeal the ACA would betray 7 years of campaigning. It is literally the only thing most of these guys campaigned on besides tax cuts. They are caught between a rock and another rock that they put there themselves and now its got Obamas face on it and will grind them into bonemeal. Theyre hosed and this is not good (for them). The aca like most dem stuff actually helped people and now they have to pull that rug out from a big piece of the country

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

BarbarianElephant posted:

I don't think the Obamacare plans are particularly profitable to health insurance companies, judging by how many of them have pulled out, so they probably see it as a good thing to lose business they aren't making money on.

Can you trust insurance companies to be honest about it?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/24/investing/aetna-obamacare-humana-merger/

(link to article about what is described by Xae)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

tekz posted:

The Democrats are actively working to squash single payer at state level: https://theintercept.com/2016/05/03/single-payer-dems-colo/

The article says consulting firms used by dems are being paid by health interest lobbyists to work against it, notably insurance companies. Read the article before you react.

I mean let's look at this paragraph:

quote:

The anti-single-payer effort is funded almost entirely by health care industry interests, including $500,000 from Anthem Inc., the state’s largest health insurance provider; $40,000 from Cigna, another large health insurer that is current in talks to merge with Anthem; $75,000 from Davita, the dialysis company; $25,000 from Delta Dental, the largest dental insurer in the state; and $100,000 from SCL Health, the faith-based hospital chain.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 20, 2017

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nothus posted:

I think the path of least resistance for them is to pass it in the house and have it die in the senate. That way house members get to take credit for the vote and the right wing media can shift the blame to senate democrats.

As much as i want to say it wouldn't work given senate has the votes to pass it sans democrats i know that this is probably what would happen

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
The huge takeaway is what will be the end goal here for healthcare during their power?

Is it really going to be roll over and not do a drat thing despite entire campaigns run on this?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They have never had an end goal other than re-election. They especially don't have an actual goal in terms of health care policy, because caring about sick people is not something they have ever done.

They stand to lose as much in reelection by repeal as they do by not repealing

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Being on the losing side is ANTI-GOP, that's why they invent a new side, or say that X wasn't actually on their side so they didn't actually lose

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So when this bill fails miserably tomorrow who gets thrown under the bus first?

Who is the GOP establishment unhappy about?

It'll be them

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

eviltastic posted:

The Hill's "no" count (as in, not including leaners) is up to 22. That said, the leadership seems to have at least some idea of who to target at the last minute to flip.

Sounds like none of the counts are reliable since they report different numbers

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

CNN is reporting that Trump is now making personal phone calls to representatives pleading that they vote yes. I wouldn't imagine he'd be doing that if they weren't terribly desperate. Especially considering it's more likely to backfire on him and inspire more 'No' votes.

I'll have you know Donal Tronup is a grade a ++ policy maker that understands all the finer nuances of american politics and policy making

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

I'd be shocked if the bill doesn't pass tomorrow. The show being put on by the Freedom Caucus is not very convincing. It's hugely entertaining to see the GOP's first act of business when in full control of Washington be to commit political suicide. All the Koch money in the world will not be able to save their majorities if anything resembling the current bill passes.

I'm genuinely curious in an incredibly morbid way to see what will happen post whatever is about to happen.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

sharkbomb posted:

I sort of wonder if this is some big act where they'll give Trump a "deal maker" win by giving him and Ryan the votes after 11:30 meeting. Then again, self-interest is the only thing that unites the Freedom Caucus, and Trump being a deal maker is just GOP mythos.

They've convinced themselves Reagan was the best ever, so they can very easily convince themselves trump is too

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

:lol: trying to bury the vote late Friday so it misses the media cycle

It won't pass and they know it

Jokes on them i get NYT app pushes all through the weekend

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

All the print editions have late Friday deadlines for their weekend editions (USA Today, etc.). Also if the stock market dips, they can blame it on something else happening over the weekend instead of a failing vote Thursday and the market plummeting on Friday.

That just means trump won't see it

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

evilweasel posted:

for SOME REASON republican legislators are very, very upset they have to pay for women's health care

Women are inferior and why should the Master Gender (and race) have to pay for anything for them

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Xae posted:

It lowers premiums!

When insurers don't have to pay anything they can have really low premiums!

Think of the profit when people pay you 100 dollars a month to not cover anything

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

I still think the bill will pass. The GOP can't afford not to pass it.

can't afford to pass it either, decisions, decisions

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I predict at least 10-20% of Republicans will think that Obamacare has now been repealed, at least for a while (they may figure out it wasn't at some point). I mean, you already had a significant portion of both Republicans and Democrats thinking that Obamacare and the ACA were different things, so it's not a stretch for them to think that Obamacare is gone and now we "only" have this ACA thing.

His post is basically the sort of thing that happens when someone who values science/rational thinking but doesn't actually know how to do those things themselves tries to make an argument.

Though even then it seems like "if you cherry pick the healthiest states in the US you'd need to at least cherry pick the healthiest regions in the EU as well for a fair comparison" would be transparently obvious.

Some of those idiots already thought they were getting trumpcare. Jokes on them i guess?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

skull mask mcgee posted:

The GOP constantly trying to repeal the ACA and failing as a majority is probably the best path towards UHC this stupid country has

It's good b/c if they give the HFC what they want the moderates will torpedo it, and vice versa. How they can reconcile this, I have no idea

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

And if they don't keep the hope of repealing Obamacare alive they can't very well fundraise off of it, can they?

I can hear it now when they still blame democrats despite having all of the power.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

BarbarianElephant posted:

They can switch to banning abortion. Then sweat as RBG dies and they have enough justices to do so but would have to raise taxes to pay for all the new orphanages and foster homes required.

Tough poo poo once their born they got bootstraps

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

I've thought for years that the GOP would never actually repeal Roe because then they couldn't fundraise off it anymore I'm thrilled, just thrilled that I get to see now if that is true or not

GOP has had a bogeyman to raise or make people fear about for the entirety of this last decade, they're not giving up their cash cows. What are they going to run off of if abortion is banned and the PPACA is gone?

Literally i have no idea what they could use? At some point when we hit 0% taxes they won't be able to use that either. Where would they go? Maybe go full religious war with anyone non-denominational or w/e

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Transgender rights are the latest front in the culture war, far as I know.

Oh so only a matter of time before they say you'll be force-transgendered by the LIEberals.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/walshfreedom/status/859462346275782656

Washington Times: "Jimmy Kimmel -- An Elitist Creep Who Needs To Shut Up"

These people have always been selfish and heartless but it's really shocking how open and proud of that fact they've been lately.

still a fundamental misunderstanding of what insurance is, too.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

But I thought the point was to repeal the Obamacare taxes while repealing the spending, so that they are already using that saved money for tax cuts. As has been pointed out in this thread, one of the real complaints about Obamacare is that it raised taxes on the wealthy. Is it that they're going to cut the spending so much that there's room for even more tax cuts beyond the Obamacare taxes?

Getting rid of the ACA is a big tax cut on the wealthy. What was it, a 3.8% tax on wealthy paychecks?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

They kinda spun up this effort a little more quickly and managed to keep it a little more under the radar and didn't give everyone weeks to find out it was terrible and tear it apart; that probably helped.

I hope any R in a vulnerable district who votes for this gets loving atomized come election time.

Dems better remember this poo poo when the attack ads roll out. This is pure unfiltered gently caress you got mine-ism, esp. with the amendment that lets GOP keep ACA caliber insurance

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

sharkbomb posted:

I always thought that one of the universal truths in American politics is that you never piss off the AARP.

It doesn't seem very smart to push forward on healthcare legislation that is being sharply denounced by an interest group representing 40 million of the most reliable voters in the country. But hey, what do I know, I ain't a wonky guy like Paul Ryan

The universal truth is GOP politicians want more money for corporate interests and themselves, and i guess we're just at the point that greed is more important. Maybe want to go out with a bang that'll take 30 years to fix?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's really hard to describe how evil this bill is in a way that doesn't sound like parody.

I never thought the government would run as a real opposition to The Onion, but here we are

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Never count on the Senate Republicans to do the right thing

ftfy

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

gohmak posted:

CNN report says the AHCA is good for young people and upper middle. Screw the poor and elderly.

NPR reported it as Good but also Bad.

There will be winners from the AHCA, but it's the people that already have 0 medical bills. That's it

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ozmunkeh posted:

This is basically npr.txt.

They made it very clear that it was more bad, but you can't cover it honestly without reporting that it will help.... some people, for all the wrong reasons, which is what it did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Depends on where you live. If you live in America?

Hard work, intelligence, and strength of character.

Don't forget being a good, moral christian that is subservient to their parents and unwilling to challenge their beliefs.