Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

HappyHippo posted:

The 30% premium is hilarious. It's basically just a slightly different form of a mandate, except it goes to the insurance companies instead of the government.

It's not even a good mandate. If I need an organ transplant that might cost 1 million + then jacking my premium from 450 to 600 is still a bargain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
When does the CBO score come out? I read on NPR or somewhere that if it adds 1 or more billions to the deficit then it can't be passed through reconciliation correct?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Why not just repeal the employer mandate and the token tanning bed tax and call it a day GOP? Give them an inch and they'll try and take a mile, the crazy bastards

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone complains about the employer paid system but loves their particular employer sponsored plans since they can be incredibly generous.

The ACA would've dialed this down via the cadillac tax mechanism through the decades and gradually unwind that since virtually all plans would've hit the high value threshold in a decade or so. Then people can decide if they want to firm up the marketplace subsidies, reregulate plans to make them cover more doctors (no more narrow networks), or put in a public option or whatever.

The GOP plan seems to do what they've wanted to have done for decades, which is fire a shot directly into the heart of it and see what happens next.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

zonohedron posted:

In the nearly ten years I've been married and thus had insurance through my husband('s employer) rather than my parents, I don't think I've ever loved his insurance plan.

The magic of employer sponsored insurance is the massive disparity in plans. I've worked at places where the deductible is 3,300 before the employer covers anything and also places where it's $350.

zonohedron posted:

If what I have is "incredibly generous" and would have hit a "high value threshold"... what on earth are "low" value plans covering? If what I have would be top-of-the-line in the individual market, and the GOP wants to make the individual market worse, why don't they just cut out the middleman and allow insurance companies to offer a laminated card with the insurer's phone number on it as the sole benefit of the policy?

Same stuff employer plans do, but they're able to trims costs with gimmicks like high deductibles and copays and/or narrow networks. The gap month I didn't have employer coverage between jobs I used an ACA plan that limited me to only one hospital/provider group in the metro region. It also had a $1.5k deductible and a $5000 out of pocket max. Luckily generics were just $10 and were deductible waived, unlike the silver version of the same plan where it was not waived and you would pay full cost for an expensive generic until you hit the deductible.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I have to appreciate the cynicism of setting up a 75 billion dollar subsidy reserve fund for old white people, but then also forcing the senate to come up with the actual mechanics of how that fund would work. :golfclap:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 21, 2017

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The Hill claims 28 no votes still and 6 leaning against

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
readsettlers.org

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh come on are they getting together for some friendly banter then or what???

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhesus Pieces posted:

As an aside, why are the so-called moderates named the Tuesday Group now? Who he hell comes up with these lame rear end names?

Maybe they're all milquetoasty suburbanistas who meet every tuesday at ruby tuesday??

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/845099934386933760

Allegedly 8-10 house suicide caucus members are ready to cave

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/845106333145874432

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't been this sexually aroused by us politics since Romney lost

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Phlegmatist posted:

I agree totally with your analysis. This was a big (and well-founded) fear with ColoradoCare. The budget for ColoradoCare was nearly 50% larger than the entire rest of the state budget combined.. A recession leading to reduced revenue or unforeseen expenses (such as uninsured or underinsured people now seeking out medical care, which was *not* addressed in the cost projection models) would lead very quickly to massive deficits in the state budget that can't simply be made up by cutting other state services, because the excess money simply wouldn't be there.

ColoradoCare would've been funded by a separate stream payroll tax administered jointly on employers and employees, no different than how medicare works and operates today.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

So actually let's analyze this.

Mortality Rates: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0934744.html

Us sits a bit high at 6.2...where does the numbers come from?

By State: http://kff.org/other/state-indicator/infant-death-rate/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D

Lol, they have Guam and Puerto Rico; those places healthcare has little to do with the us.

gently caress Remove, Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Georgia and West Virginia and the US probably sits with the rest of Europe.

California and New York are both around 4.8, that's below the EU, alongside UK and Gilbratar.

Life Expectancy has a lot of factors in it, not just healthcare. http://www.infoplease.com/world/statistics/life-expectancy-country-2014.html

We place 42nd, just a tick below the EU.

http://kff.org/other/state-indicator/life-expectancy/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Life%20Expectancy%20at%20Birth%20(years)%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D

Now remove Alabama, Mississippi, West Virginia, and Lousiana and you'll see much better numbers..once again.

Average life expectancy in New York and California puts us above the EU, right beside UK and England

As for access to basic health services, I don't have a way to quantify that, but the US is much more spread out than most countries. It would be nearly impossible for it to have as many hospitals or clinics per people as say england or spain.

I love it when the reddit generation discovers SA

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Blow up the ACA at your own peril - AHIP wanted and got concessions when it comes to cracking down on the qualified life events and other things that insurers were bitching about. Trying to disrupt an infant individual insurance market to score points is not a wise move and makes you an enemy of 20% of this country's GDP.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao epipen two pack at Walgreens now up to 762 usd for express scripts.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The late senator Robert Byrd (D-KKK) literally put amendments into the law so coal miners could claim black lung benefits faster.

The democrats should've hammered that point home in Appalachia and West Virginia but I guess they were too busy pretending to be intersectional feminists for the DC cocktail party crowd.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Not content to just let the bear trap they've been rigging around their dicks for 7 years snap shut, these retards are rerigging the trap so it goes off again later

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

rscott posted:

So what you're saying is every time I go to the hospital and fill out ones of those forms I should put like 10k/year as my salary

Good plan until they demand to see a paystub or withhold treatment

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The ACA was supposed to shift employer paid insurance gradually over time to the exchanges. Rahm Emanuels brother Ezekiel predicted by 2020 employer paid plans would be rare.

The botched rollout unfortunately damaged that prediction as well as not fixing the issues of narrow networks and high deductibles.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Elotana posted:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gop-senators-weigh-taxing-employer-health-plans-1496350662
TFW the quest to make the system as evil as possible might accidentally correct what made it so hosed up in the first place.

(There's no way they have the balls to do this. Mike Lee is probably on an island.)

GOP has hated employer paid insurance for decades, they just have no way of abolishing it without enraging their whitebread base that overwhelmingly loves it.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Reik posted:

Doctor salaries are not a problem. Medical device companies, pharmaceutical companies, and hospitals are the suppliers of the majority of healthcare dollars. The professional services doctors charge are a small portion of the total spend.

Doctors did, however, block all attempts at reforming the employer paid system until it was too late. Three generations of Americans know nothing outside of "good respectable people have their employers pay for it and not government."

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

I haven't had time to read the leak yet, what are the deets?

Keeps most of the private insurance reforms around while watering down the financial assistance (subsidies now based on the bronze tier level plan and not silver, reduced premium subsidies to people making < 350% of FPL rather than 400%). Also gutting medicaid over 7 years

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cis autodrag posted:

they were for all sorts of things. ive worked in the managed care industry for over 5 years now producing health plan administration software so ive seen a hell of a lot of insurers' contract structures. i've genuinely seen multiple health plans that were 80% of medicare across the board. others only use it for subsets of their coverage.

insurers like this approach because once they've negotiated that rate they don't really have to do much work as their rates will automatically adjust along with medicare, and doctors are typically more willing to trust a plan that's based on an org they trust, such as medicare, than a plan that was obviously assembled surgically by a room full of actuaries.

Explains why doctors bitch about Medicare but when you ask if they'd be happier without it they immediately backpedal and clarify that Medicare should just pay them more

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PerniciousKnid posted:

Nah, it's a fair point. It was basically a semantics argument that is small potatoes compared to the broader point about profit-seeking insurance companies and incentives.

Having said that, private insurance companies do a lot of work on what treatments create better outcomes, which gets lost among their more heinous activities. Not every employee at every corporation is a moustache-twirling villain. But profit incentives can also be counterproductive/homicidal.

Instead of leaving it up to the medical directorates at insurance companies to decide what is and isn't covered I think the country could greatly benefit from an agency like NICE in the U.K. that determines what will and won't be covered by insurance. There is no reason why chiropractic care is included standard on many employer plans but other forms of witch doctoring like acupuncture isn't.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LeeMajors posted:

I can't understand why the definition of insurance has seemingly changed.

Insurance is designed for risk mitigation by pooling premiums. Low coverage plans with high deductibles are not even insurance plans. High risk pools that concentrate are not even insurance plans.

This is a basic loving concept that is intentionally ignored and it makes me feel loving crazy.

Prior to the ACA the shift to consumer driven, high deductible plans have been sold to people with FYGM tendencies. For example, my last employer's HR department would say that instead of subsidizing everyone with a higher premium your new $20/ month HDHP is a pay for what you use plan, unlike before when you were giving sickos and fatties a free ride.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like McConnell is ragequitting the BCRA

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Let's say that McConnell makes good on his threat to actually negotiate with Democrats to 'fix' the health insurance market. Is there even a plausible bill that could garner 60 votes in the Senate? I'd imagine it would have to have at least 10 Democratic votes, as people like Paul, Cruz, and Lee I cannot see voting for a bill that would be amenable to 10 Democrats in any way.

I mean when it boils down to it when I think of 'fixing' Obamacare I think of providing more generous subsidies and enforcing the individual mandate more strictly. I find it difficult to believe that there would be enough Republicans willing to stomach voting for such a bill.

Grassley and some other senators floated ending the medical device tax and the employer mandate in exchange for higher subsidies and a stiffer penalty (assuming Hillary was president)

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cabbit posted:

A robust, inexpensive public option, but we let the GOP entirely deregulate the private insurance industry in order to victimize anyone dumb enough to not take the government plan.

Believe it or not Germany lets people who opt out of statutory insurance for private insurance purchase loosely regulated plans that are often richer in benefits than government insurance. There is a time and place for purely private insurance but for most people they shouldn't be subject to the whims of profit in health insurance.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

For all these people who whine "my taxes shouldn't pay for sick people"...what are they okay with their taxes paying for? I'm not seeing huge pushes to dismantle the interstates or anything.

poo poo white people benefit from.

If Medicare segregated risk pools by race we'd have single payer already

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
"When they go low we go high, that'll surely win us a bundle of elections" -liberals, 2016

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Phlegmatist posted:

It's not unrealistic gatekeeping, it's the ideal of the left and something that we should be striving for in everything we do, not something that should be glossed over and forgotten as "leftist locker room talk" or someshit.

The left used to shoot fascists and reactionaries like McCain. I think you mean the ideal of the bourgeois liberal reformer

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
There is that one antiworm drug that's like 30 cents a pill in India but costs $884 dollars a pill here because only one company is licensed to make it.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Private employer insurance is a clusterfuck if different payers setting different prices. I've been seeing the same allergist for 4 years while changing jobs enough that he's been paid through 3 different employer plans, at $78, $112, and finally now $153 a visit. How is that a reasonable or a functional insurance system?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Office Pig posted:

This is kind of a more general question but I feel it's worth asking: has any other post-WWII country committed something like this against its own population? Graham-Cassidy, AHCA, BCRA, whatever example you want to hold up, I'm sincerely aching for examples of the ruling elite of another country who committed genocide by destroying healthcare.

Yeah, in the 70s when the labour party in australia passed single payer in the form of medibank, states run by right wingers sued to block it for years in their jurisdictions until a new liberal government dismantled it, causing such an outcry that labour got back in power to create medicare, their current single payer system.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Iirc you can already import small amounts of medicine legally from countries like India (I get two ventolins a year for $10 plus $10 shipping), most people are squeamish about buying medicine from India or china because it must be fake/substandard quality.

Meanwhile Walmart sources its dollar generics from Indian giants like cipla and dr. reddy and slaps a familiar and friendly American name in it so people trust it.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

importing drugs is not about lower manufacturing costs abroad, it's about taking advantage of price controls in those countries

the problem is, it's trivial for companies to effectively block it by restricting the amount of that drug they send to the country

They could do that and then lose the national patent that prevents domestic producers from manufacturing their own.

I think India straight up ignores patents for a lot of medications.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A+ article, but the root issues here seem to be poor requirements during system implementation and a bad crew resource management problem endemic in medicine where doctors can't be questioned. The fact that a robot dispensed 6000mg of an antibiotic is moot because it was told to dispense that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My brother is a clinical pharmacist and he says his value comes entirely from catching doctor errors, which makes him a highly paid medical QA person basically.

A robot could do his job better than he could. But most likely the doctor will just override the software constantly and kill patients. Actually putting a pharmacist there to call bullshit is a good thing until doctors themselves can be replaced with software.