Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Why did you get that take button near the tree in the beginning? Well, here are two interesting facts.

1) Wild Pokemon live in tall grass.

2) The original Pokemon game was developed by Satoshi Tajiri as a way to share the fun he had as a kid going out bug-catching with a generation that stayed indoors more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Glazius posted:

2) The original Pokemon game was developed by Satoshi Tajiri as a way to share the fun he had as a kid going out bug-catching with a generation that stayed indoors more.

I'm suddenly having flashbacks to visiting my grandparents in Chicago and catching fireflies at night. Then getting incredibly self-conscious about the noise we made when I realized that our shrieks of glee had been echoing off the walls of their apartment complex and probably bothered the neighbors.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Bruceski posted:

I'm suddenly having flashbacks to visiting my grandparents in Chicago and catching fireflies at night. Then getting incredibly self-conscious about the noise we made when I realized that our shrieks of glee had been echoing off the walls of their apartment complex and probably bothered the neighbors.

Difference being you didn't turn those fireflies into potions.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Lazy Bear posted:

Difference being you didn't turn those fireflies into potions.

You don't know that

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I like that you guys completely ignored the pop-up that told you what the new ability is and what it does then didn't understand how to get rid of the huge stone.

You might have to have at least one of you guys reading stuff so you don't miss stuff like that again considering how fun that ability is to use when you get creative. :v:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Koorisch posted:

I like that you guys completely ignored the pop-up that told you what the new ability is and what it does then didn't understand how to get rid of the huge stone.

They try to learn as little as possible about a game before they play it.

All too often, they learn as little as possible about a game as they play it. :v:

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
Gonna head this one off at the pass:

Yes, we forgot to try Stasis on the rock outside Owa Daim. Yes, we will go back for it in the next recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29rLle5sZI0

Gimbal lock posted:

Easy weapon inventory management: out of space? Use the right dpad to switch to a weapon you no longer want and just throw it. No need to mess around in the menu.

CLEVER CLEVER. That's so much faster, I LIKE IT.

Glazius posted:

Why did you get that take button near the tree in the beginning? Well, here are two interesting facts.

1) Wild Pokemon live in tall grass.

Assuming I'm right in understanding what you're referring to, I did not know of the existence of those things when we recorded that episode, else I would have been all FIND IT FIND IT FIND IT. Oof.

Koorisch posted:

You might have to have at least one of you guys reading stuff so you don't miss stuff like that again considering how fun that ability is to use when you get creative. :v:

YEUUUUUUP. Idiot moment on our part, that was a particularly bad immediate brain fart. WILL CORRECT ASAP WITH INTENSITY

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how all your rune powers have their own bright color so far. Red magnets, blue bombs, yellow time-out.

It's actually interesting that the shrine didn't need you to use stasis in order to get the chest out of it. I mean, you could, probably, but it was just close enough to sprint to at full force.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I can sympathize with a backwards curve for puzzle mechanic solving diligence.

You would have solved the hell out of that nonexistant sphere puzzle in the bomb temple, if it wasn't just there for demo purposes. But orange ball puzzles are actually a thing.

Hurling wood into the water to get across safely is actually a thing!... But you need bigger wood, not baby wood bundles like the preview. etc.

One of the nice things about this game is how (usually) as long as the needed end result is gained, it counts as a win! Then you are standing by the activated whatever and realize after the fact "Oh, I was supposed to do it this super loving easy way. Not risk falling to my death thousands of feet below both ways, after brute forcing the puzzle object that started five feet from where it needed to go into an unrelated locked room."

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glZnkpIDWSE

This guy did something really cool for this game being released that you have to see.

Also, I love how this game does more interesting things with four (technically five with the double Remote Bomb, but semantics) abilities then most Zelda games get with six to eight.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 19, 2017

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Glazius posted:

I like how all your rune powers have their own bright color so far. Red magnets, blue bombs, yellow time-out.

It's actually interesting that the shrine didn't need you to use stasis in order to get the chest out of it. I mean, you could, probably, but it was just close enough to sprint to at full force.

Some of the shrines we've seen so far definitely seem to have a few challenge-able runs like that, would be neat to see someone attempt a runeless run!

Junpei posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glZnkpIDWSE

This guy did something really cool for this game being released that you have to see.

Also, I love how this game does more interesting things with four (technically five with the double Remote Bomb, but semantics) abilities then most Zelda games get with six to eight.

That was pretty rad! Definitely strikes me as laziness taken to its most refined form, but it's definitely quirky and charming. Some interesting uses for some of those songs, I was wondering how he'd work those in. The Song of Healing resetting everything was a particularly nice touch.

And now, let's get this last shrine out of the way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9jd1Pm5GhY

Also, happy to report that Part 1 just hit 1000 views, hell yeah! Hopefully you guys are digging it so far (seems like you are), and we'll be out of the plateau and into the real game in the next day or two!

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 20, 2017

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

...do I even want to know what the deal with the zebra is?

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Two quasi-related things!

First up, last week we finally had our first Patreon hangout since October of last year -- it was meant to be a monthly event (and was for a year running, and then this winter kicked the loving poo poo out of us), but we brought it back, as seen below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGqWqu6xHDQ

Part of the stream involves discussing Breath of the Wild, along with the future of the Legendary Let's Play (we still have quite a few non-canon/non-core games left over that we want to check out, a la The Mega Let's Play).

The other big problem is that YouTube is killing new annotations on May 2. Old annotations will stay (thank gently caress, way too many videos across YouTube would be busted as hell without them), but on May 2 we won't be able to make more. This unfortunately means that we will no longer be able to use SKIP buttons in our videos. Thankfully, the impact on Zelda is pretty minimal: each Monday there's a 90-second intro to recap the previous week, and the rest of the week the intro is quick and to the point. Other series might have trouble, and I think I'll ultimately append the button such that it says "SKIP" with a timecode under it so people can manually move (since there'll be no non-obstructive way to have a skip button AFAIK. I'd use a card, but then that (i)'ll be in the corner for the whole video. No.

EDIT:

FredMSloniker posted:

...do I even want to know what the deal with the zebra is?

While I was wrapping up editing, a video from Last Week Tonight made it onto YouTube that featured, rather than the usual 15-20 minute segment, a zebra dancing for 23 minutes with the recommendation that it be used for whatever the hell you want. My School House Rock bit needed a dash of something extra, so I said gently caress it, what the hell

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 20, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. The shrines are actually three for three for "nearby chests that need the shrine rune to access". Maybe four for four if you go exploring around the ruins near the bomb one?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It's amazing what hours of having things already does to your logic.

"Why aren't they just using Cryo-oh right, they still have to go in the shrine for that. The shrine they are walking to." For what it's worth, lifting gates with ice blocks is the trick I'm constantly forgetting exists when it comes to ice :downs:

Also, background gags that turned into more evidence of Nintendo's secret mercy mechanics. Watching the raft drift away down the river slowly while you were playing magnet fishing... And then it's respawned in it's starting position while you are chasing your firewood.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Glazius posted:

Huh. The shrines are actually three for three for "nearby chests that need the shrine rune to access". Maybe four for four if you go exploring around the ruins near the bomb one?

That's not a bad idea... we have recorded us heading back to Owa Daim, but Ja Baij might be worth scoping out too.

Section Z posted:

"Why aren't they just using Cryo-oh right, they still have to go in the shrine for that. The shrine they are walking to." For what it's worth, lifting gates with ice blocks is the trick I'm constantly forgetting exists when it comes to ice :downs:

Oh, I'm sure we'll all forget how super useful that mechanic is in no time!

Section Z posted:

Also, background gags that turned into more evidence of Nintendo's secret mercy mechanics. Watching the raft drift away down the river slowly while you were playing magnet fishing... And then it's respawned in it's starting position while you are chasing your firewood.

...oh, god drat it.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Holy poo poo, we're FINALLY gonna leave the Great Plateau! Also, PLOT DUMP. Nice and early. Alrighty, well there goes a considerable amount of the mystery, oh well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNrrGkr8JwI

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So while you're walking around trying to figure out how to mark that ring of stones, you very nearly step on something interesting at... about 5:00, I think?

Incidentally, has anybody there played The Witness?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Off the Great Plateau at last! Now your scope for directionless wandering is more than ten times as great! (But on the other hand I hear tell the game just straight-up throws the kid gloves away at this point, so I look forward to seeing the trouble you'll get into!)

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

vdate posted:

I hear tell the game just straight-up throws the kid gloves away at this point, so I look forward to seeing the trouble you'll get into!

You're not gonna have to wait long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0bpI-t9HlI

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

You weren't foolin' around! That was both rapid and spectacular.

Riazer
Oct 9, 2012
One solution for the chest is to jump on top of the lamp and glide from there.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
My copy of Zelda is busted in some way. Some types of cutscenes and memories appear to be glitched in mine. When I go to one of those there is a good chance the came will error and crash the console. It appears to be audio related as when it does play the scene it normally opens up with some static that ether goes away in a second or overwrites the game audio until I restart.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I think the purpose is to teach you how to swerve out of a wind stream, but I'm not surprised there's another way like that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Riazer posted:

One solution for the chest is to jump on top of the lamp and glide from there.

Or going from the mummy platform. It's further, but there's just enough height to matter.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I've heard it said that the shrines are basically Zelda Does Portal and I can't disagree with that. Things have even got that kind of test-chamber aesthetic to them, though of course you've got more tools than just a gun.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I never did get that chest... Maybe I should go back for revenge now that I know more tricks.

The joys of watching LP. All the moments people were smarter than you, dumber than you, and sharing the exact same competence as you.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Hey everybody, sorry about the lack of updates - rather serious medical emergency on the team had us more than a little scattered and I was on support detail for a good chunk.

Long story short: Ben discovered he had an increasingly infected gall bladder, got it removed, no more fatty foods for Big Ben. He's gonna be on bed rest for a couple days, but he's in good spirits (even though being made to laugh is actually dangerous right now, so... maybe John and I aren't to be trusted near him just yet).

Now that weaponized comedy is on the table, let's get you guys caught up, and today's episode too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkpI12_hgUQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGLqXP0nB1s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx9APzckJZ4

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I had my gall bladder out a few years back. It was scary - the symptoms were not unlike those of a heart attack, and it took me a few trips to the ER to convince them that I was having physical pain and not a panic attack or something.

The good news is, Ben can still eat greasy food; the bad news is, he'd better stay close to a bathroom if he does. :v:

Did they go in through the belly button like they did on me?

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Yeah, a conversation on the Discord server pointed out that the Patreon reward of "Ben will eat a whole cheesecake" might be somewhat less feasible now...

Not sure about the details just yet, Lindsay says they went in through four incisions in his abdomen, I think?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

ricdesi posted:

Yeah, a conversation on the Discord server pointed out that the Patreon reward of "Ben will eat a whole cheesecake" might be somewhat less feasible now...

Not sure about the details just yet, Lindsay says they went in through four incisions in his abdomen, I think?

That sounds about right. I had three small incisions along the side of my stomach, but the main tools went through my belly button. If medical videos don't make you queasy, you can check out this video, which is what I looked up after having mine. Bonus points for (spoiler in case you don't want to watch it but are curious about the process) using all sort of fancy tools - a tiny camera, a clamp, an electric cauterizer - to detach the gall bladder... then dumping it in a plastic baggie and pulling it out through the belly button, complete with having to jiggle it a few times to squeeze it through.

Incidentally, they used dissolving sutures as well as some sort of medical adhesive to close up my side wounds, and I got to experience something rather amusing (spoilered for potential quease): one of the stitches wound up poking out of one of the wounds. They used tweezers to stretch it, then snipped it, and it sucked back into my body like a piece of spaghetti, the hole immediately clotting.

There was pain, and I learned first-hand just how many daily activities involve stomach muscles, but I was fully recovered pretty quickly. Nowadays I just have a herniated belly button (not painfully, but I definitely have an outie now!), scars from the side incisions, and the aforementioned stay-near-bathroom-after-greasy-food thing, and even that's not painful, just inconvenient.

Tell Ben to take his time getting better and to be sure to do his breathing into a tube exercise!

Glaric
Oct 9, 2011

That's just sad.
Just fight the enemies, dude. Link has the Triforce of Courage, not the Triforce of Being a Chickenshit!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Aw, that's terrible! :( Hope Ben feels better soon!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Being told you need a organ removed in the first place can't be easy, so good luck with the recovery and results.

Also I'm so goddamned jealous that you caught your first fallen star. I basically spent all game with any naturally occurring fallen star fading away right as I was ten feet away :argh:

Lizal boomerangs :swoon:

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
While you guys are right that the gems are used for crafting, their primary use is to be sold for rupees. So you shouldn't worry about holding on to them right now since you will need rupees for a lot of things. Also by the time you get to the place where you can craft the gems it won't be hard to find more of them.

Also if you guys are worried about not getting all the chest in a shrine on your first time, like I am, you can see on the map if you've gotten all the chest in a shrine or not. If you have gotten all the chests the shrine name will have a chest next to it when you select it.

This isn't a neat tip but I'm curious. How soon will you guys be getting back to the main quest ghost king gave you? Also it was kind of impressive how quickly you forgot the first bridge you ran to in episode 14 when you wanted to go across the river.

Edit: Also, remember your runes. They are useful in solving puzzles and in combat. Also the tips on the loading screen are very informative so I would recommend reading them.

savixeon fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 28, 2017

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I love how everybody freaked out when the weapon was about to be thrown, despite it being a boomerang.
You use a boomerang by actually throwing it. So long as it doesn't hit a wall or a rock or anything, it'll do exactly what you expect. Don't forget to catch it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What can you do with those giant swarms of Keese, anyhow? Toss a bomb and go redneck sky fishing?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Glazius posted:

What can you do with those giant swarms of Keese, anyhow? Toss a bomb and go redneck sky fishing?

I like to use the 2-hander charge attack and engage cuisenart mode.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
When you rescue people, try to rush over and talk to them right after defeating the enemy. I think that first guy you saved had gotten over the shock by the time you got to him, but usually they'll give you a gift of gratitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Well, I just got this game and then accidentally played for seven straight hours. Fortunately, that means I've passed where you're at! I was going to say that means I can watch without fear of spoilers but I guess in a game this open-world that might not actually be true. You could end up taking an entirely different route than me and showing off things I've never seen! Ah well, I'm sure it'll be fine.

I will say that even one play session gave me new sympathy for your collective level of distractability because I found myself doing the same thing, repeatedly. Even when I told myself I'd get right to the point - but ooh what's that through that log tunnel?

• Locked thread