Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I figure '10,000 years ago' is just a convenient shorthand for 'long enough we kind of lost track of all this crap. Nice round number.' It's probably been 3768 years and four months or something. Also while I understand that quitters don't get to be the villains of long-running franchises, Ganon... let it go, dude. Take a goddamn nap, do some yoga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
After all the talk about this being in the Child Timeline (or well past it), I kind of hope (vainly) that Calamity Ganon is somehow all that's left of Ganon after his trip through the Twilight Realm and being murdered by telepathic/conjoined necksnap. Just this horrible ragegod without a filter anymore.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also the Divine beasts and Guardians were rediscovered over a century ago. So they more or less were just getting them ready when Ganon took control.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 8, 2017

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also the Divine beasts and Guardians were rediscovered over a century ago. So they more or less just getting them ready when Ganon took control.

If I remember right, in the cutscene where the king was describing what happened 100 years ago, all of the guardians that Ganon took control of were deactivated at the time. So they probably were getting ready and they didn't know the exact time that Ganon would break out from the seal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

savixeon posted:

If I remember right, in the cutscene where the king was describing what happened 100 years ago, all of the guardians that Ganon took control of were deactivated at the time. So they probably were getting ready and they didn't know the exact time that Ganon would break out from the seal.

No they had the divine beasts ready for sure. But then Ganon killed their pilots and took over them.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

No they had the divine beasts ready for sure. But then Ganon killed their pilots and took over them.

Yeah, they had the divine beasts ready but the guardians seemed to be in a powered down state when Ganon took them over.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Oh man, you guys were so close to getting another early game Star Piece. So the Star Pieces will crash around midnight and stick around for 6 hours. If you see a light pillar in your normal view without using the scope, that's a Star Piece.

Are you planning on using the amiibo scanning feature? You can get some great drops off of them, including Star Pieces.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
By the way, I'm pretty sure that the name "Kakariko" is just a play on "Cocorico", which is french for "cockadoodledoo".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ricdesi posted:

We are complete idiots and missed the clothing shop, BUT the next episode we're recording requires us to head back to Kakariko anyway, so we'll check it out then!

As for the spoiler-laden one, in order: Whoops, Whoops, Found that out!, and YES.

In general you could stand to spend at least a little time poking around every town, just seeing what's on offer. This is a Zelda where equipment and food both matter, after all.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Yeah, we're returning to Kakariko in Thursday's video, we'll definitely make sure to spend some time actually talking to folks there and in Hateno. And it's interesting seeing the game unfold with... sort of even less regard for any semblance of a timeline than normal? I wanna say on Wednesday there's a nice reference all the way back to Skyward Sword, but this may be so far ahead in the timeline that "which one" doesn't even matter anymore.

In the meantime, I'm an idiot and didn't post Friday's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bISUMyjLTj4

...but more importantly, today's episode is all about the search for everyone's favorite horse, Klumple!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjdGUuI2l08

Thumbnail's dorky 'cause I don't have access to my upload laptop atm, so here, have a bonus image, my favorite screencap of Klumple.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
Now that you guys have gotten the upgraded sensor I have a bit of advice for you. Get a picture of a treasure chest as soon as you can. It doesn't matter how fancy the chest is, it just needs to be a treasure chest. Then whenever you're in a shrine you can set your sensor to look for treasure chests to make it easier to find them.

Also, on the topic of the sensor, other than being annoyed by the beeping when you're near a shrine, I don't know why you wouldn't want it on all the time. A lot of the shrines are going to be hidden and the sensor does help find them. And the noise only happens when you're near the shrine so most of the time you won't hear it.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

savixeon posted:

Now that you guys have gotten the upgraded sensor I have a bit of advice for you. Get a picture of a treasure chest as soon as you can. It doesn't matter how fancy the chest is, it just needs to be a treasure chest. Then whenever you're in a shrine you can set your sensor to look for treasure chests to make it easier to find them.

...I am loving flabbergasted that actually works.

savixeon posted:

Also, on the topic of the sensor, other than being annoyed by the beeping when you're near a shrine, I don't know why you wouldn't want it on all the time. A lot of the shrines are going to be hidden and the sensor does help find them. And the noise only happens when you're near the shrine so most of the time you won't hear it.

True, I think I'm gonna push to keep the sensor on all the time, at least when we're out and about.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

ricdesi posted:

I felt the same way when I figured it out.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

savixeon posted:

Along these lines? Oddly treasure chests only need one picture to count for every single kind. But all three individual types of ore node have their own photo based compendium entry. To save yourself some frustration, no you can't photo snap koroks to get a radar sensor compendium entry.

But yeah, Shrine sensor mode as your default status is always nice to have. You can always turn it off when it gets old, but it's worth it to have at least shrine sensor on most of the time.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
For the sake of Klumple's safety, please note that any stable can summon your horse from the ether no matter where it is in the world.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
You should also probably check out some of the buildings in Kakariko. Like the clothing store.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Dresh posted:

For the sake of Klumple's safety, please note that any stable can summon your horse from the ether no matter where it is in the world.

I was surprised to find this out, but yeah, it's great. Horses are nice when you're making runs to the tower in a region, I find. Then you might wanna explore on foot to get to find some of the cool stuff, but the first time, when you just wanna get a map, it's nice to just be able to auto-follow the path until you need to not do that.

Oh! On that note - if your bond with your horse is maxed, and you take your hands off the controller when you're on a road, Klumple will do the steering.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ricdesi posted:

Modern Ancient technology sure is convenient!

Though, yeah, for all this game points you at Ganon and takes the chain off, there's this subsidiary mechanics tutorial section that you're most of the way through now which really makes a lot of things easier.

I think there's really only one missing piece and somebody in Kakariko will point you there.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I'm a big rear end in a top hat and the IRS is taking advantage of that this week, hoorayyyyyyy. Part 31 was delayed yesterday because we needed to sit down and record more (so we'd have a Next Time clip), so later on today it'll be landing!

In the meantime, I am a bad bad man and didn't post these for you lovelies. Let's get us some titty magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mszv7kcemgk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwdvgqAmApo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmfqlyJjlLE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bak5jAYbZZg

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ah, memory hunting. The Dueling Peaks one took me a while because I underestimated just how far away you could see things in this game.
*does a shrine teaching all about dodging* "man this moblin has reach I can't get close"

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 18, 2017

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

It's SUPER disorienting, in a weird way. You think "oh, I gotta be close" and then it's ten minutes of walking in a straight line still not being anywhere near where you need to be. Had to briefly explain how perspective works while looking for one of them (still haven't found it, we're letting the memories take a bit of a backseat for now as we explore).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ricdesi posted:

It's SUPER disorienting, in a weird way. You think "oh, I gotta be close" and then it's ten minutes of walking in a straight line still not being anywhere near where you need to be. Had to briefly explain how perspective works while looking for one of them (still haven't found it, we're letting the memories take a bit of a backseat for now as we explore).

That's how you do it pretty much. I tended to note one easy-to-remember thing about each ("red rocks", "oasis", "long bridge" et cetera) just so that when I came to the ballpark of one I'd remember, then went on with my business. The first one's the important one for Impa's gift, the rest are story.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Aside from learning about the story, it's mostly important to get one memory early on and tell Impa, and then it doesn't matter when you get the others as long as it's before you fight Ganon.

The distance things are tricky - part of it is because of how big the landmarks actually are, but I think there is some visual cheating involved, maybe based on air clarity or something.

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
Amusing as it is to see you shriek in fear and take every encounter as this near-death experience, most combat really isn't as hard as you seem to think it is. Lynels are meant to be difficult, yes - attacking them legitimately is usually an exercise in doing a series of perfect dodges. Guardians tend to have their own gimmicks depending on which of several types you're up against. Anything else? Probably beatable using only gear from the Great Plateau (though actually doing that does tend to be tedious).

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Arcomage posted:

Amusing as it is to see you shriek in fear and take every encounter as this near-death experience, most combat really isn't as hard as you seem to think it is.

Not to mention, a lot of the time you try to run from a fight you get hurt worse than if you'd just stood your ground, whether because they pelt you from range or just chase you until you have to stop, by which point you've picked up three or four additional groups.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
How to beat a Lynel. Consult an informational pamphlet's worth it Tips and Tricks. Die anyways while people tell you how easy it is for them before you finally bulk up enough to get on even footing. You will get there though, it's only a matter of time.

How to beat a Hinox. Equip a two handed weapon. slowly sneak up to them while they are sleeping. SPIN TO WIN BABY! Stamina is your biggest hurdle, but with reasonable weapons and/or attack buffs you will kill or nearly kill most Hinox before their theme music even kicks in that way. Bonus, Hinox tend to have pleasant weapons, so looting them first makes trying to take on a Lynel that much easier.

It's a bit more awkward trying to shove stamina food into your face mid spin attack. But it still works out great for stuff like giving you just that last bit of extra stamina you need to tame a fancy horse.

EDIT: Oh right. Don't delete that direct photo of a Lynel you took. I'm saying this mostly out of spite for an NPC not being satisfied by having several compendium entries worth of Lynel photos. Oh noooo, they want a fresh photo only so please turn around and go back and get another one Link :mad:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 19, 2017

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Tell Lindsay that I'm sorry for her mental illness

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lynel are quite doable once you get used to them (particularly once you manage to kill one and get lynel weapons to use on the next one), but they are absolute monsters until that point.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hey, congratulations, you found that last missing piece!

So now you have:

- expensive armors to spend rupees on (also less expensive things, like arrows)
- upgrading armors, a big reason besides elixirs that you're collecting all those monster parts, and gems, and flowers, and insects and lizards and and and -- basically any ingredient without a heart symbol next to it (and a few of those too)
- a way to track down any one of those things that you have possessed, even once, as long as you took a picture of it (you can hold it out and take a selfie, compendium don't care)

So basically you can just hold onto, like, 10 of something, sell the rest, and make it rain. Foods and elixirs sell for more than their base ingredients but it's not too big of a bump so if this is a 100% on-camera playthrough I wouldn't worry too much.

Now go! Encounter the outposts of civilization, and use money to obtain goods and services without fear!

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I think I'm gonna take the wheel for Part 36. I'm pretty curious about a couple things, particularly the other Kakariko errands and Mt. Lanayru. I don't think I've gotten myself into any BIG battles yet, and I'm curious to see if it's even possible for me to take down a Hinox and/or a Lynel right now. Maybe less so the latter, since we still don't have much in the way of health...

BUT YES, we're finally feeling the openness of the game start to take hold! It's... a little overwhelming, we're sort of aimless on where we should go. I'm honestly thinking "pick a direction and go". We shall see.

Also, chaos rules my life, so I was bad again, here are the episodes I didn't post. More coming today and tomorrow, since we needed to catch up a bit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdpJ573crpU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU8WZwTZBvY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odEo3nKaTSo

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
One of the great wonders of this game is that 'pick a direction and go' is a completely viable plan, especially near the start of the game. Talk to the folks you meet on the road, and keep a piece of paper and a pen handy near the console - there's some things that don't count as side quests or don't autolog themselves until a little bit into the quest proper, so having some permanent record is very handy. Plus it works as a to-do list - even if you're not tough enough to get something done right away, you can leave a stamp and note the location down. Plus (and this might be just me) the 'completed' quest log serves as an interesting artifact of your time playing the game - I've covered about four pages in written notes by now, and it's interesting how my attitudes to things have shifted as I've proceeded through the game, as chronicled by my notes to myself.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

A couple of notes from the videos:
--On the quest log, the R stick will switch between main quests (those aren't gonna change much from what you have), shrine quests (quests that end in a shrine, either as a puzzle or someone saying "I heard there's something off in that lagoon but it's so far away I can't be arsed to check"), sidequests (cucco gathering, et cetera, there's a bunch of these usually found in towns or stables that can be handy to give some direction to the faffing about) and cutscenes.
--You guys said "we should find a shrine here before we leave", climbed a ridge, saw a shrine, then turned around and went home. That happens in this game even when it's just ONE person playing, but I gotta rag on ya for it.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I am amused at how much trouble y'all had with the sensor.

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
In their defense, the sensor is not really a precision tool. It's great in a lot of circumstances (Need more of an upgrade material? Want a warning when horses are near so you can try to sneak up on one? Looking for that one chest you can't find in a shrine?), but as they found out it's not quite so great when you're looking for a specific example of a thing and there's multiple copies of that thing in close proximity.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Arcomage posted:

In their defense, the sensor is not really a precision tool. It's great in a lot of circumstances (Need more of an upgrade material? Want a warning when horses are near so you can try to sneak up on one? Looking for that one chest you can't find in a shrine?), but as they found out it's not quite so great when you're looking for a specific example of a thing and there's multiple copies of that thing in close proximity.

A mere "Above/Below you" indicator would have gone a long loving way.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I'd love to see the insanity of you guys trying to use boulder/stasis as a transportation; Find a large boulder and stasis charge it, smack it, then climb onto the side before time runs out and get LAUNCHED!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The sensor is about your movement vector more than it is your proximity, so if you turn it on and run in a circle you'll get a good idea of rough direction.

The problem with using it for chickens, especially with that particular case, is that with the last one basically across the street from the pen, there were very few places in the village where you could get a much different reading.

You have seen the clothes-dying shop, though you haven't gone inside it yet. There are a couple of clothes that don't take to dye - the Champion Tunic for one is indelible champions' blue.

Also at some point you're going to want to have a good look around Impa's house. You should be able to find a hint to point you in the right direction to get that orb.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

vdate posted:

One of the great wonders of this game is that 'pick a direction and go' is a completely viable plan, especially near the start of the game. Talk to the folks you meet on the road, and keep a piece of paper and a pen handy near the console - there's some things that don't count as side quests or don't autolog themselves until a little bit into the quest proper, so having some permanent record is very handy. Plus it works as a to-do list - even if you're not tough enough to get something done right away, you can leave a stamp and note the location down. Plus (and this might be just me) the 'completed' quest log serves as an interesting artifact of your time playing the game - I've covered about four pages in written notes by now, and it's interesting how my attitudes to things have shifted as I've proceeded through the game, as chronicled by my notes to myself.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm gonna start using our Pokémon Rivals notebook for Breath of the Wild too - not just because it's getting hard to remember stuff we wanted to go back and look at, but also just because it means we can keep track of stuff that may not come up for fifty hours if we're not paying attention. I'm glad that in this latest batch of episodes, "pick a direction and go" has resulted in us actually finding a path to our first Divine Beast :)

Bruceski posted:

On the quest log, the R stick will switch between main quests (those aren't gonna change much from what you have), shrine quests (quests that end in a shrine, either as a puzzle or someone saying "I heard there's something off in that lagoon but it's so far away I can't be arsed to check"), sidequests (cucco gathering, et cetera, there's a bunch of these usually found in towns or stables that can be handy to give some direction to the faffing about) and cutscenes.

Yup, we are absolutely gonna be utilizing that more, as it seems like we're starting to find ourselves in a bit of a quest pileup.

Bruceski posted:

You guys said "we should find a shrine here before we leave", climbed a ridge, saw a shrine, then turned around and went home. That happens in this game even when it's just ONE person playing, but I gotta rag on ya for it.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. Even worse, I took the reins for Part 36 specifically to explore more of Kakariko Village and Mt. Lanayru, and we wound up accidentally finding the plot and not doing so. SOON.

ZeeToo posted:

I am amused at how much trouble y'all had with the sensor.

SWEET CHRIST that was like pulling teeth :|

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I'd love to see the insanity of you guys trying to use boulder/stasis as a transportation; Find a large boulder and stasis charge it, smack it, then climb onto the side before time runs out and get LAUNCHED!

:] Keep an eye out. It doesn't end great.

AND SO, we wound up doing a bit of catchup over the weekend, and started back on the normal amount of videos we want (daily), so let's get things caught up to yesterday -- new video coming later on tonight! We're FINALLY moving ourselves along and seem to have stumbled onto the plot of the game again! TIME TO GET SWOLE WITH THE SHARKS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Wy2NqdhZI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6QI-jdJ2-o https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbrJJH964Gk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1tcaIcsL0E

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I see you've met your shark prince hype man. He's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

He's a pretty rad dude, despite him still not making it clear why he needs me specifically when I'm visibly ill-equipped for what he wants of me.

• Locked thread