Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yep, that's a Nintendo tutorial alright. I think that cliff was sloped so that no matter which boulder you pushed, it'd wind up funneled along about the same path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow that's a strong bow. I wonder if you were too far away or if the tall grass helped, but I felt sorry for the little guy who couldn't find the rear end in a top hat who killed his friend.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Couple things that might help a bit.

First off, when you're looking around through your scope, the minimap will track what you're looking at. Some of the pins you put down up on the tower were actually off the plateau out in the blue digital unknown. You might want to go back up at night and see what else you can spot on the plateau proper.

Second, now that he's done waiting on you, the old man is out practicing the arts that sustain life. If you catch sight of him while you're out exploring and he's doing something you want to know about, ask him.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's pretty neat. Old man teaches you how to aim a tree and you've got like two-three trees to take a shot at making a bridge with.

I imagine they "intended" you to experiment with all those stamina mushrooms all around the place and then go climb that cliff with stamina boost on? Maybe?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That would have been a pretty neat physics puzzle if it was a physics puzzle.

Oh well, back to thermodynamics puzzles.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Why did you get that take button near the tree in the beginning? Well, here are two interesting facts.

1) Wild Pokemon live in tall grass.

2) The original Pokemon game was developed by Satoshi Tajiri as a way to share the fun he had as a kid going out bug-catching with a generation that stayed indoors more.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how all your rune powers have their own bright color so far. Red magnets, blue bombs, yellow time-out.

It's actually interesting that the shrine didn't need you to use stasis in order to get the chest out of it. I mean, you could, probably, but it was just close enough to sprint to at full force.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. The shrines are actually three for three for "nearby chests that need the shrine rune to access". Maybe four for four if you go exploring around the ruins near the bomb one?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So while you're walking around trying to figure out how to mark that ring of stones, you very nearly step on something interesting at... about 5:00, I think?

Incidentally, has anybody there played The Witness?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I've heard it said that the shrines are basically Zelda Does Portal and I can't disagree with that. Things have even got that kind of test-chamber aesthetic to them, though of course you've got more tools than just a gun.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What can you do with those giant swarms of Keese, anyhow? Toss a bomb and go redneck sky fishing?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that Link has variable chest-opening animations based on what angle you come up to a chest on. Like he'll go for the lock if you come at it head-on, or boot it from the side.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This game is pretty good about having people give you directions to places.

For example, I think you can still go back to Hestu and get directions to the forest he's heading toward, if you find yourself needing more space.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ricdesi posted:

We are complete idiots and missed the clothing shop, BUT the next episode we're recording requires us to head back to Kakariko anyway, so we'll check it out then!

As for the spoiler-laden one, in order: Whoops, Whoops, Found that out!, and YES.

In general you could stand to spend at least a little time poking around every town, just seeing what's on offer. This is a Zelda where equipment and food both matter, after all.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ricdesi posted:

...I am loving flabbergasted that actually works.

Modern Ancient technology sure is convenient!

Though, yeah, for all this game points you at Ganon and takes the chain off, there's this subsidiary mechanics tutorial section that you're most of the way through now which really makes a lot of things easier.

I think there's really only one missing piece and somebody in Kakariko will point you there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hey, congratulations, you found that last missing piece!

So now you have:

- expensive armors to spend rupees on (also less expensive things, like arrows)
- upgrading armors, a big reason besides elixirs that you're collecting all those monster parts, and gems, and flowers, and insects and lizards and and and -- basically any ingredient without a heart symbol next to it (and a few of those too)
- a way to track down any one of those things that you have possessed, even once, as long as you took a picture of it (you can hold it out and take a selfie, compendium don't care)

So basically you can just hold onto, like, 10 of something, sell the rest, and make it rain. Foods and elixirs sell for more than their base ingredients but it's not too big of a bump so if this is a 100% on-camera playthrough I wouldn't worry too much.

Now go! Encounter the outposts of civilization, and use money to obtain goods and services without fear!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The sensor is about your movement vector more than it is your proximity, so if you turn it on and run in a circle you'll get a good idea of rough direction.

The problem with using it for chickens, especially with that particular case, is that with the last one basically across the street from the pen, there were very few places in the village where you could get a much different reading.

You have seen the clothes-dying shop, though you haven't gone inside it yet. There are a couple of clothes that don't take to dye - the Champion Tunic for one is indelible champions' blue.

Also at some point you're going to want to have a good look around Impa's house. You should be able to find a hint to point you in the right direction to get that orb.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think the challenge for this tower was that there was the giant rain-slick cliff maze full of monsters you had to climb to get to it.

it was a pretty good monster maze! It had treasure chests that were actually traps because of world physics and everything.

So, uh, odds that you never drink that elec resist thing before you get to Zora's Domain?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, don't forget that you have ice powers in the water world. Good advice in general.

It's also interesting just how many old legends of things you can follow to go get cool stuff. Zora Helm's definitely worth getting before you take on the rest of the domain.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
One thing to keep in mind with these towns near the Divine Beasts -- generally while people might hint at later sidequests, they're all on hold until you clear the Divine Beast.

I mean, when a giant wall of water is going to crack the reservoir and wash your house away that's kind of priority one, you know?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Thank you for not forgetting you have ice powers. You could have got on without them outside, as long as your arrows held out or maybe if you got super-daring with bombs?

As much as I like the idea of a broad set of tools you can use anywhere, having them be optional workarounds or not come into play as often risks them being forgotten or ignored when they were programmed to be useful. Say what you will about dungeon items that don't see a lot of use outside their dungeons, at least it tends to be obvious when you should use them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ricdesi posted:

It reminds me of improv in a lot of ways. It's the whole reason improvisers as for an inspiration to start off a scene. If you ask me to go on a rant about bananas, I could rattle off ten straight minutes about how frustrating they are to keep fresh, since an errant look will bruise and brown them, but it seems to take a year and a half for them to ripen in the first place, etc etc. But if you just say "tell jokes", well... that's tougher.

Yeah, one of the things that makes the shrine and dungeon puzzles actually work out is that you can't climb. There are some surfaces and you can mantle onto ledges and such, but nobody in that poor deprived structure is getting anywhere near their USRDA of Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, you can totally craft fire arrows. Just combine a few dozen rupees with the Zora shop.

(You were right about threading the needle through the torch, though. Works easier if you have a vine backstop to catch it.)

I'm glad that you got to test Mipha's Grace under controlled conditions - that is, being launched over a huge distance into a cleared area and pursued by a single enemy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
As a general rule, you can talk to a quest giver after you accept the quest to get a hint. This ain't no Hunt of the Wild, quests don't drop markers on the map. (Sidequests drop a marker to the original quest giver.) All you've got is advanced Sheikah Maps technology and what people tell you.

NPCs tend to respect the morning-noon-night cycle the inn or a campfire sets you on. Some NPCs will be out in the morning, most will be out at noon, and they sometimes do different things at night. (Also you're still missing something in Impa's house that will help you out.)

It's worth checking out all the stores and noting down what they sell. Most big settlements will tend to at least have a clothes store, a grocery store, an arrow shop, and an inn. Though the Zora clothes shop is unfortunately closed due to them being mostly an export market.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Caution is still probably good when there might be guardians over the next rise.

Also I love that the in-game map is good enough you can pick out most of the photos on it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Quantum Toast posted:

It's an interesting change having the Hyrule Field equivalent be one of the most dangerous places in the game.

Hyrule Castle is a pretty popular end boss location. This one's just a little leakier than usual.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You sound like you're having fun, which is a nice contrast to X7. I like how... whimsically serious the Koroks are, I guess? They're adorably trying to help you but they also know some helpful things?

Also something to keep in mind when you go back to Kakariko Village: when you were looking for hints you had the right house but the wrong floor.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think you've still got a sunshroom in your compendium from when you were interacting with Symin way back when. The Compendium actually tells you rough geographic regions of stuff in the wild.

Though it seems like you've found a pretty good source.

The Goron design in this game is an interesting departure even though it's so small. They've never had whites in their eyes before, have they?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Please, Mondo responsibly.

I do mean that, actually. It'd be fun to see you pull the big guy out for whatever road riding you have a mind to do. Roads are important to civilization because people and goods move along them!

An important thing to keep in mind re: Puerto Rico is that most of the parties against statehood decided to make a statement about the futility of asking the US to please be a state, or possibly claim credit for the constituency of the Can't Be Arsed Party, by asking all their supporters to just stay home. Turnout didn't even hit a fourth of the population all told, so keep that in mind.

I do appreciate the many opportunities this game offers for tactical pants deployment. And that the temperature readout on the Sheikah Slate map screen is just erroring out in Goron City. Silly ancient engineers not considering the need for a four-digit temperature display.

Lindsey might want to consider one of those Phrenic bows? Bows do have a different firing arc in this game depending on type, and you can likely scare some up hunting around Kakariko Village. ...though in the volcano it'd probably just catch fire.

Also when you're taking pictures, take pictures of ore deposits! There is more than one kind of them.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 20, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I am proud of you for puzzling out how to get to that last chest in Rudania. 100 bucks is nothing to sneeze at!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I hope you can manage to get the Master Sword before you hit the next couple big dungeons. Given how the last two main quest touchpoints were all "hey where's the Master Sword" and all.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, dang. Look at you, all passing major tests of strength.

And eating half your food to do it.

So maybe not ready for guardians quite yet.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Eventide is a fun adventure. There are a few more overworld challenges like that, but none quite as elaborate.

Whenever you feel the need for some mad styles, go on and live to dye a little, and remember, it's skin-safe color!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how you got to Wood Jesus and it kind of happened to be a perfect title for the episode. Stone Satan would be a good second.

This game doesn't mess around with lightning strikes, I'll say that much. I can't remember a game that's had them hit so consistently close.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I would probably be seriously interested in a roguelike interpretation of the trials of the master sword. If they don't have an infinite mode at the end, or whatever.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Welcome to Robbie's lab! We have stupid hats and power chords.

Also looking forward to what kind of runs you can make at that labyrinth.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I realize that explaining explaining the joke is a level of unfunny generally not attainable by mortal man, but:

- more than two people are named "Manning"

- there's a certain style of "political joke" that consists of a) insulting someone whose politics you disagree with and b) expecting to be hailed as a comedic genius

- it's probably some kind of corollary to Dunning-Kruger that nothing is so painfully unfunny as some would-be comedic genius trying to make a joke

Also what the gently caress is even up with Skull Lake? It's got fuckin' screaming skull pillars reaching for the heavens and all that weird flora. But it's just kind of chilling out being a creepy skull lake.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So when you're in just regular ol' extreme temperatures rather than DOES NOT COMPUTE volcanic heat, have a look at what happens when you have a magic burning or freezing sword strapped to your back.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Try and remember where all those symbols were on the statues. It'll be crucial to some DEEP ZELDA LORE* later on in Gerudo Town. (*lore may not actually be deep)

Nice job piecing it all together, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, it's weird that you've been all over the map but the warm doublet is still your only piece of temperature-relevant clothing.

At least there's this set bonus. Kind of.

• Locked thread