Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
As long as you are having a good time, should be a good watch. If only to see how many people share my world view of "90 degree wall climb > logical route"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Keeping the preview bits to weekly would probably give you better choice edits along with lessening the overall workload, yeah.

I don't mind the casual pace, particularly at the very start of the game. Though I could understand the desire to trim stuff once things get rolling later and decided "Over an hour of footage of us hunting lizards and butterflies" isn't quite up to standard as "Learned to cook, learned to lumberjack".

But at the very least, the plateau should probably be shown off in full unless you personally think some footage just really sucks.

FredMSloniker posted:

Something else that was mentioned in the PYF little things thread: apparently the glow of things change from red to blue when you've cleared them. It's an easy way to know what you've done, even from a distance.

Along with the mixed color scheme of "You've unlocked this as a fast travel point! But still have not cleared it". Which is also shown on the map, and I thank god because I'm running out of stickers.

100 sticker limit, not nearly enough it turns out :shepface:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 15, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Serious business sticker chat. Decide what stamp type, will be used ONLY used to mark shrines you have seen in the distance. Alternatively, don't and the viewers can enjoy your suffering when trying to remember what magic sticker means what :v:

Also, pushing the sort button on equipment screens not only sorts it, by cycles it through two different types of sorting (Which took me forever to figure out why I never had consistent sorting every time I pushed the button :downs:). Weapons and shield it seems to cycle between sorting biggest numbers, or sorting by "Type". Like putting all your one handed swords/Skeletons in a row, or cycling your clothing between matching sets Vs what body part it goes on.

Durability tracking wise, that little sparkle on some of them means it's still at max durability. So that's your way to tell which identical item you've been using or not. Took me way too loving long to realize this.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I can sympathize with a backwards curve for puzzle mechanic solving diligence.

You would have solved the hell out of that nonexistant sphere puzzle in the bomb temple, if it wasn't just there for demo purposes. But orange ball puzzles are actually a thing.

Hurling wood into the water to get across safely is actually a thing!... But you need bigger wood, not baby wood bundles like the preview. etc.

One of the nice things about this game is how (usually) as long as the needed end result is gained, it counts as a win! Then you are standing by the activated whatever and realize after the fact "Oh, I was supposed to do it this super loving easy way. Not risk falling to my death thousands of feet below both ways, after brute forcing the puzzle object that started five feet from where it needed to go into an unrelated locked room."

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It's amazing what hours of having things already does to your logic.

"Why aren't they just using Cryo-oh right, they still have to go in the shrine for that. The shrine they are walking to." For what it's worth, lifting gates with ice blocks is the trick I'm constantly forgetting exists when it comes to ice :downs:

Also, background gags that turned into more evidence of Nintendo's secret mercy mechanics. Watching the raft drift away down the river slowly while you were playing magnet fishing... And then it's respawned in it's starting position while you are chasing your firewood.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I never did get that chest... Maybe I should go back for revenge now that I know more tricks.

The joys of watching LP. All the moments people were smarter than you, dumber than you, and sharing the exact same competence as you.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Being told you need a organ removed in the first place can't be easy, so good luck with the recovery and results.

Also I'm so goddamned jealous that you caught your first fallen star. I basically spent all game with any naturally occurring fallen star fading away right as I was ten feet away :argh:

Lizal boomerangs :swoon:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Octorocks are jerks

More climbing jump tips based on my past mistakes: Did you know, the sideways jump is JUST long enough to clear more than the length of the little platforms on a tower :downs: "I almost made it... I almost made it... JUMP FOR IT!" *ZIP* "...Wile E Coyote is my spirit animal, it seems"

Bruceski posted:

Just for the record a tip: barring distractions I'd suggest aiming for the main quest through Kakariko and the town they point you to after that. After that you're free to go and do whatever (and can beforehand), but that's the last few "functionality unlocks" that may be handy for you (or maybe not).

Also, this. It is basically the suggested point of "Boost your QoL by doing plot up to here, for peak loving around doing whatever you want"

(Hammers just straight up do better on rocks, and axes straight up do better with trees even if they break fast as weapons. I can't decide if there is an actual durability perk in those situations, or if it is helped by them only needing one good swing rather than multiple)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 28, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ricdesi posted:

See that's the crazy thing, someone posted a screencap of that exact moment to our Discord, said "How did you guys miss this!?", then followed it up with "Except I missed it too..."

NO idea. I guess we were just super focused.

Almost like your attention was on trying to shoot something with a bow at the time :v:

But yeah, blood moons generally sneak up on people unless they happen to have their camera angled in a way that can see it in the first place. You're not really going to notice it's red moon coming ahead of time when you are in the middle of fighting some enemies, or climbing a cliff wall, swimming across a river, in a canyon so can only see it when it's already working it's evil magic, etc. Even wanting to check the normal phases of the moon I often end up climbing the nearest tall object only to find the weather pattern is too overcast to see it anyways.

This is half sympathy, half wanting to encourage you to never know they are coming ahead of time because it's funnier that way.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Quantum Toast posted:

I wonder which is worse: coming to this game and forgetting there's no autojump, or going from this game (or Wind Waker) to one of the others and forgetting you can't glide.

Going from Breath of the Wild to a game with jumpjets, that counts leaping down a canyon and safely stopping mid air with a jetpack as a "death" once you gently hit the ground.

I've been spoiled by being able to so last second this game's glider that it doesn't even have time to deploy, but counts as a safe landing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cerebral Bore posted:

For the hearts vs. stamina question I personally found it more useful to have more stamina in the beginning because it lets you avoid the poo poo that can kill you in two seconds more easily, whereas a few more hearts generally doesn't matter if you stumble upon something really nasty.

Pacing wise in my own playthrough, I'm very glad I got two stamina upgrades sooner rather than later, but I'm also very glad I held off on the third stamina upgrade in favor of getting my heart count sorted. Four shrines per upgrade really starts adding up, particularly when you haven't scoured every corner of the world already.

Though after I hit my desired heart count, hell yeah three more stamina upgrades in a row :v: (Stamina upgrades are 1/5 of a stamina wheel each. So five upgrades = Two wheels. You can have a max of three stamina wheels)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 30, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Sounds like Hyrule Warriors is in the D-Pad's future. At least, if they want to meet the wish to play as Agitha. In arbitrary unlocks mode

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ricdesi posted:

Well the Wii U version is already in our past, but I suspect that at some point we'll be playing Hyrule Warriors Legends as well.

Well, guess I've got more reason to finally look at your backlog then.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Thank god you took the path. So many people missed out Inventory Upgrades for ages because they climbed over mountains and other cool stuff on their way to Kakariko. Overall I like the korok seed system, but I can understand it being a complete bitch if you don't know about it/miss it.

Klumple will be a good horse for you. Hardly spoiler chat since you were just at a stable, but Gentle (multi color horses) = Less prone to tell you to go gently caress yourself trying to steer them. So no throwing you off their back if you try to dash with no stamina, or deciding to take a 45 degree turn all on their own when crossing a bridge with no guard rails. Wild horses (Solid color) get to have higher stats, but even at 100% bond will be disagreeable at times. But if you actually use horses a lot, you get used to them.

That said, Klumple has some nice stats for a gentle horsey. Also, try holding the Z target button then moving the stick around when your horse is stationary :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 4, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

savixeon posted:

Now that you guys have gotten the upgraded sensor I have a bit of advice for you. Get a picture of a treasure chest as soon as you can. It doesn't matter how fancy the chest is, it just needs to be a treasure chest. Then whenever you're in a shrine you can set your sensor to look for treasure chests to make it easier to find them.

Also, on the topic of the sensor, other than being annoyed by the beeping when you're near a shrine, I don't know why you wouldn't want it on all the time. A lot of the shrines are going to be hidden and the sensor does help find them. And the noise only happens when you're near the shrine so most of the time you won't hear it.

Along these lines? Oddly treasure chests only need one picture to count for every single kind. But all three individual types of ore node have their own photo based compendium entry. To save yourself some frustration, no you can't photo snap koroks to get a radar sensor compendium entry.

But yeah, Shrine sensor mode as your default status is always nice to have. You can always turn it off when it gets old, but it's worth it to have at least shrine sensor on most of the time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
How to beat a Lynel. Consult an informational pamphlet's worth it Tips and Tricks. Die anyways while people tell you how easy it is for them before you finally bulk up enough to get on even footing. You will get there though, it's only a matter of time.

How to beat a Hinox. Equip a two handed weapon. slowly sneak up to them while they are sleeping. SPIN TO WIN BABY! Stamina is your biggest hurdle, but with reasonable weapons and/or attack buffs you will kill or nearly kill most Hinox before their theme music even kicks in that way. Bonus, Hinox tend to have pleasant weapons, so looting them first makes trying to take on a Lynel that much easier.

It's a bit more awkward trying to shove stamina food into your face mid spin attack. But it still works out great for stuff like giving you just that last bit of extra stamina you need to tame a fancy horse.

EDIT: Oh right. Don't delete that direct photo of a Lynel you took. I'm saying this mostly out of spite for an NPC not being satisfied by having several compendium entries worth of Lynel photos. Oh noooo, they want a fresh photo only so please turn around and go back and get another one Link :mad:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 19, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Arcomage posted:

In their defense, the sensor is not really a precision tool. It's great in a lot of circumstances (Need more of an upgrade material? Want a warning when horses are near so you can try to sneak up on one? Looking for that one chest you can't find in a shrine?), but as they found out it's not quite so great when you're looking for a specific example of a thing and there's multiple copies of that thing in close proximity.

A mere "Above/Below you" indicator would have gone a long loving way.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bruceski posted:

Yeah. All the guardian attacks are telegraphed pretty heavily, and the third phase is a bit of a damage race or you can shoot its eye to stun it.

Oddly enough, I just get the 'you made a headshot!' ding without it actually stunning them when they go full turret spam final phase.

So I just lazily walk in circles around them without bothering to parry or "just shoot them in the eye!" now, after the Nth time getting the 'you made a headshot!' confrimation noise multiple times in a row did gently caress all to them in the third phase while fighting the hard mode test bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bruceski posted:

I may be remembering wrong, usually I have a good enough weapon to just damage race em. two-hander spin to win.

Given how many quirks of the game there is, it could likely be-
A: Maybe lower ranked test of strength robots are vulnerable, while the top end are not? (I never had to bother with lower ones, but tried it a bunch on the hard ones from 'I suck at killing them' early game to 'I'm lazily farming these' lategame and... welp).
B: Maybe people equate being able to stun evil stalkers with an arrow to the eye with "Well that must therefore work on Test of strength robots too!"
C: Game was just being buggy in a certain coincidental way consistently, which I've got quite the track record with.
D: A million other factors for why it's not working out when I do it vs Test robots in particular.

I'd would have simply assumed I was somehow botching the shots when they go full turret spam mode, if not for the fact headshots/Eye shots in this game have a very distinct and satisfying sound. *DING* "Allright I got the noise!... It's still charging." *DING!* *DING* *DING* "GameFAQS has led me astray-" :supaburn:

It's not like I can't beat them anyways without that, but it's always a bit frustrating when you hear some good common sense advice, which works wonders for you in some cases cases like stalkers, and then suddenly nope :v: But you are hardly alone in suggesting that arrows will stun their turret spam mode, that's a very common statement. Which leaves me all the more confused what's up in my case.

Maybe people forgot they had left their lightning arrows on, or something?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 27, 2017

• Locked thread