Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
For the hearts vs. stamina question I personally found it more useful to have more stamina in the beginning because it lets you avoid the poo poo that can kill you in two seconds more easily, whereas a few more hearts generally doesn't matter if you stumble upon something really nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think you're doing horse wrong here. If you're riding on a road the horse kinda autopilots to follow it, so if you try to steer manually you tend to go off course on a regular basis.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I really like the backstory here. It's like 10000 years ago a somebody realized that since this Ganon guy keeps coming back it might be better to prepare or it rather than leave it all up to two teenagers and then somebody else realized that we've got these blueprints for death lasers and they put two and two together. The rest, as they say, is history.

It might also be because I'm a sucker for the whole techno-magical thing that this game's got going.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ricdesi posted:

I love the mesh of tech and magic, it's basically everything I was hoping the distant past of Skyward Sword would be! Speaking of which, there's a nice reference to Skyward Sword coming up in Part... 28, I think? Hard to keep track, but I'm impressed that they didn't just leave these details out.

Hell, just the world map is reference heaven.

EDIT:

ricdesi posted:

Yeup. You'd think they would have considered that if he broke out, there may have been a reason why.

I honestly would have far preferred (in terms of story) that they be taken completely by surprise, and the shells of the unused guardians were what he took over instead of actively utilized ones. I don't dislike the existing story, but it feels a little convenient that they could be ready so quickly after 10,000 years.

Do you know what they were eating in Asia 10,000 years ago? I don't because they were just about to cultivate rice. It's like saying "Okay guys, we killed Rasputin, but be ready for him to come back in case he does," and in the year 11,900 they're still preparing for this guy.

It's a bit of a nitpick, but hey.

Eh, you can always interpret those 10000 years as not literally 10000 years but as a shorthand for "an unknown but really goddamn long time ago".

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 7, 2017

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I see you've met your shark prince hype man. He's pretty cool.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

I mean, when a giant wall of water is going to crack the reservoir and wash your house away that's kind of priority one, you know?

In addition to that getting a mountain's worth of water dumped on your head will still be bad for you, fish-person or no, because water has weight and can and will crush you and/or wash you away and slam you into a cliff or something if there's enough of it falling on you all at once.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 3, 2017

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
That thing is definitely beatable at this point in the game, but you have to git gud.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's also a really elegant way to herd players in the right direction in the open world. Personally I tried to go for the central tower as soon as I got off the plateau and promptly got my poo poo wrecked by a Guardian. After that I decided to do what the game wanted me to do.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's nice to see someone doing the spiral legit, since I solved it by way of Stasis and a hammer. In fact, a surprising amount of puzzles get a lot easier if you think of Hyrule as an oversize golf course.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ricdesi posted:

Not much, and since we're starved for weapon space (to the point of throwing out decent ones), I think we'll be dumping it soon. Possibly the Ice Rod too, TBD.

One thing that strikes me is that you're far too conservative about using up your weapons. There's literally an infinite supply of good weapons if you know where to look plus an equally infinite supply of decent weapons that will literally fall in your lap (and you've got the Master Sword to fall back on in a pinch) so there's absolutely zero reason to hoard the low and mid-tier stuff ever. Like, you're still toting around a sledgehammer, for heaven's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think I've said something to this effect before, but it'd also be nice to see the gang realize that weapons are meant to be used, not hoarded.

• Locked thread