Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Off the Great Plateau at last! Now your scope for directionless wandering is more than ten times as great! (But on the other hand I hear tell the game just straight-up throws the kid gloves away at this point, so I look forward to seeing the trouble you'll get into!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

You weren't foolin' around! That was both rapid and spectacular.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Well, I just got this game and then accidentally played for seven straight hours. Fortunately, that means I've passed where you're at! I was going to say that means I can watch without fear of spoilers but I guess in a game this open-world that might not actually be true. You could end up taking an entirely different route than me and showing off things I've never seen! Ah well, I'm sure it'll be fine.

I will say that even one play session gave me new sympathy for your collective level of distractability because I found myself doing the same thing, repeatedly. Even when I told myself I'd get right to the point - but ooh what's that through that log tunnel?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I dunno whether Lindsay saw the sunset reflected in the water or the very beginnings of a blood moon but either way I'm drat near certain that weren't no tower-reflection. (For one thing the blue one was closer and would have contributed rather more!) I did appreciate the slow slide from the auditory equivalents of :raise: through :stare: to :stonk:.

Having spent far too much time with this game in the past 48 hours, I can now say that y'all have gotta stop being such cowards - unless you're dramatically outclassed, it's almost always better to fight (healing first if needed) than to run, as the Octorok demonstrated. Also, as per Zelda standard, lock on is your friend. (It's ZL on the WiiU, can't think why that'd change on the Switch.) It's usually pretty good about it, unless you're near the feet of something much taller than you (as per running between Stone Talus' legs in a previous video), when you may need to tilt the camera back some.

You mentioned both paragliding and climbing in these eps, and I gotta tell you, once you get used to it you will wonder how the gently caress you ever went anywhere in a Zelda game without them. (Well, a Zelda game not containing the Pegasus Boots.) I hit this weird state of simultaneously wholly internalizing it and not realizing I'd internalized it pretty fast. I found myself spending a good 20 minutes clambering up the side of a canyon and paragliding from outcropping to outcropping, and then realizing just how unprecedented that freedom of movement really is. (Judging by the examples of, e.g. Skyrim or Ocarina, I mean.)

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Now that you're in Kakariko, don't forget to stop by the clothing shop to stare enviously at some new clothes (or buy some, assuming you're willing to sell some gems, which you should be because you'll get more than enough for what you need them for later).

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Dresh posted:

For the sake of Klumple's safety, please note that any stable can summon your horse from the ether no matter where it is in the world.

I was surprised to find this out, but yeah, it's great. Horses are nice when you're making runs to the tower in a region, I find. Then you might wanna explore on foot to get to find some of the cool stuff, but the first time, when you just wanna get a map, it's nice to just be able to auto-follow the path until you need to not do that.

Oh! On that note - if your bond with your horse is maxed, and you take your hands off the controller when you're on a road, Klumple will do the steering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
One of the great wonders of this game is that 'pick a direction and go' is a completely viable plan, especially near the start of the game. Talk to the folks you meet on the road, and keep a piece of paper and a pen handy near the console - there's some things that don't count as side quests or don't autolog themselves until a little bit into the quest proper, so having some permanent record is very handy. Plus it works as a to-do list - even if you're not tough enough to get something done right away, you can leave a stamp and note the location down. Plus (and this might be just me) the 'completed' quest log serves as an interesting artifact of your time playing the game - I've covered about four pages in written notes by now, and it's interesting how my attitudes to things have shifted as I've proceeded through the game, as chronicled by my notes to myself.

• Locked thread