Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

The Legend has awoken

Holy poo poo, it's finally here. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has seen the light of day, after two years of delays, landing on our Nintendo Switch, while waving goodbye to the Wii U (just like Twilight Princess did with the Wii and the GameCube a decade ago). We couldn't be more jacked up for this -- back in the day, our channel used to focus almost exclusively on the Zelda franchise in an experiment we called The Legendary Let's Play. Our goal? To play every main-series Zelda release, start to finish. After 16 months and 550 videos, we completed our goal, and on January 1, 2015 The Legendary Let's Play slept again forever...

...until today.

The gang's all here, and we're gonna be taking on Breath of the Wild and seeing everything it has to offer. Every weekday, we will be spending another 20 or so minutes exploring the abandoned land of Hyrule (well, mostly abandoned), in search of answers, villagers, and a way to defeat the Calamity Ganon. Our only request while we move through this series is to please not spoil anything we have yet to cover. This game is absolutely gargantuan, and we intend to explore as much of it as we can bear, but we want to take it at our own pace and really soak in the environment.

This also happens to be the 200th video game we've played on our channel, and it begins with the 3100th Let's Play video we've produced in our nearly six years on YouTube. Not only that, but just this morning, we finally reached 2500 subscribers, so this game is just as much a celebration of our channel and our fans as it is a celebration of thirty years of amazing gameplay within the Zelda franchise.

And so, without further ado... The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. (This is probably a huge mistake whoops too late here we go)

SEEK OUT IMPA

LOCKED MEMENTOS

ZORA'S DOMAIN & VAH RUTA

A WIFE WASHED AWAY

KOROK FOREST

GORON CITY & VAH RUDANIA

A QUEST FOR UPGRADES

GERUDO TOWN & VAH NABORIS

RITO VILLAGE & VAH MEDOH

UNLOCKED MEMENTOS

HYRULE CASTLE

THE CHAMPIONS' BALLAD

Hopefully this goes without saying, but for the sake of us, our team, and all you lovely bitches hanging out and chatting it up in this thread, NO SPOILERS, PLEASE. Let's keep the discussion only to parts of the game covered in the episodes above.

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

And just so that if people would rather just watch the videos here in the thread instead of jumping to YouTube, here are those first two episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ykTGgvWKtA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NVOgPsV55g

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Oh good, I can watch someone else play this and not have to imagine what it is like.

Happy to take suggestions on stuff to try out too, if you guys think of anything we wind up missing!

Junpei posted:

Good luck, you guys. This game is big. Like, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious big.

So I'm told. Goooooood... goooooood...

Glazius posted:

Yep, that's a Nintendo tutorial alright. I think that cliff was sloped so that no matter which boulder you pushed, it'd wind up funneled along about the same path.

Definitely had a funnel-y shape going on there, pretty subtle tutorial on Nintendo's part. Didn't require Navi Old Man to come up and be all "YO KID, PUSH THAT poo poo AND I'LL SUCK YOUR DICK GIVE YOU MY SWEET HANGGLIDER", it's just sitting there tempting us with that sweet rear end.

Section Z posted:

As long as you are having a good time, should be a good watch. If only to see how many people share my world view of "90 degree wall climb > logical route"

So far, so good, we definitely need to get our asses on some stamina potions ASAP so we can Spider-Man the gently caress out of this map.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Alright, let's gently caress around with this new bow and like, learn some poo poo about who we are and the heart of the cards or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5JAbJQvC5w

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

That was my suspicion, based on the existence of Korok Leaves (that wouldn't make much sense outside the Wind Waker timeline)

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Interesting... I suppose if the Kokiri could evolve into the Koroks in the WW timeline, there's no reason they couldn't do the same in the TP timeline... Gonna have to weigh this stuff carefully.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Koorisch posted:

They referenced an area from Spirit Tracks in Skyward Sword so it's not impossible that they reference that game too although it doesn't really make sense considering it's in a different timeline.

I suspect that was more them over time trying to make longer connections across the timeline (Skyward Sword predates everything thus far, including the split at Ocarina of Time, so it's still allowable), by suggesting "Oh hey, this area is totally still around at the farrrr end of the timeline!"

Glazius posted:

Wow that's a strong bow. I wonder if you were too far away or if the tall grass helped, but I felt sorry for the little guy who couldn't find the rear end in a top hat who killed his friend.

Right? There's a LOT of that in this run, it's kind of amazing just how opportunistic this Link can be. Just blow 'em all up before they even know you were there.

FredMSloniker posted:

I miss the little clips of next/previous episode that you had in the Zelda videos right up until you returned for the 3D remakes, but I understand if they were too much work to keep doing or whatever. However, how come you ditched the vocals on the outro song while you were at it?

You are not the first to have brought this up, I'm definitely considering re-adding those. The intros were getting tricky, since they meant I had to mark off fun stuff to add back in while editing (not the end of the world, certainly not the slowest editing trick I've had to pull -- cough cough, everything about Pokémon DS/3DS, cough cough), but they're still very doable. I may experiment with those starting with next week's episodes. Either gonna roll with daily PREVIOUSLYs again, or add them to the Monday episodes, recapping the previous week as a whole. They do somewhat revolve around having a full minute's worth of worthwhile footage, which is trickier in some games than others.

As far as the outros, this is really the third iteration. The first one included a preview of the next episode, which was fine except that it meant we always had to have at least one episode ahead recorded (not gonna be a problem with this game, I assure you -- it was much more of an issue with the DS/3DS games since we weren't loving those as much, bar A Link Between Worlds). The second one ditched the preview and just used the lyrical version of The Adventure of Duane & BrandO's "ZELDA", but I was starting to get a bit concerned about getting Content ID flagged (or otherwise pissing them off), so I used the instrumental version instead. Odds are, I'll be giving the zoom-in previews with commentary another go next week as well :) We're gonna be here a while, may as well make it worth our while!

Speaking of, today's episode will likely be going up a little later in the day than normal -- been having a loving hell of a time getting a 2+ hour finale to Mega Man X6 to export properly, but once it's done I'm free and clear. Hoping to have it up around 4, if I'm real lucky.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

So hey, we're checking out shrines and poo poo now. Loving the names we've come across so far, and here's the one that's an anagram for Aonuma. GIMME DEM MAGNET GLOVES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqaznUnOZKs

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Getting a handle on bow controls. I think Lindsay might be enjoying this a bit too much. Then again, Sarah's and my bloodlust for hunting every animal we see may not be helping...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejkT6ttQoJc

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Yeah, I did notice that. Will be altering the intro and lowering volumes for the next video, sorry bout that.

Glazius posted:

First off, when you're looking around through your scope, the minimap will track what you're looking at. Some of the pins you put down up on the tower were actually off the plateau out in the blue digital unknown. You might want to go back up at night and see what else you can spot on the plateau proper.

Second, now that he's done waiting on you, the old man is out practicing the arts that sustain life. If you catch sight of him while you're out exploring and he's doing something you want to know about, ask him.

I think in the next video or two we clean up our map, and we definitely stumble on the Old Man a bit and learn some of the tools of the trade. There might be some stuff we missed though, so we'll be keeping an eye out!

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccoGv2Tf99o

Alrighty, so for today's episode I've been taking a lot of the first week's feedback into consideration. We used to have an extended "previously" section before each video, but 15-ish minute videos are difficult to pull that much worthwhile recap material out of (especially for a game as wandery as this one), so I've cut that segment in half... which ironically felt a little too brief for Part 6, but we'll feel it out and see how it goes this week.

I've also brought the volume way down (at some point I negated my -5dB gain and didn't notice) to make it... you know, bearable. Also added a SKIP button for anyone who doesn't want to stick around for the recap, hopefully should help alleviate anyone binge-watching the series now or later (though it's still not perfect, since consoles and mobile devices don't have the luxury of annotations, which annoys the poo poo out of me).

I've also re-added the "next time" teaser snippet to the end, since the outro's not doing much of anything else right now anyway. Should give the ending a little extra something for the folks sticking around for the last 30 seconds.

Let me know how you guys are feeling about this! I'm on the fence between daily vs. weekly "previously" bits (if it's weekly, it'll return to the old longform intro, still with the skip button though), so we'll use this week as a litmus for that.

As a sidebar, prior to the first episode's posting, we had recorded 15 videos' worth of content (8 in this first batch and 7 with just myself, Ben, and Lindsay) so any in-video feedback won't be reflected in posted videos until two weeks from today at least. In case there's anyone still pulling their hair out over something mentioned in the thread that hasn't changed in the gameplay yet.

And to answer the question we've gotten all over the place: yes, we've made it off the Great Plateau already, it's in one of this week's videos IIRC.

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 13, 2017

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Alrighty, the path to that mountain shrine was clearly a bust, so we're recentering ourselves and shooting for another one. Surely this will go just swimmingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwvbWXzpx5A

Bruceski posted:

Hylian cooking for dummies:
There are some set recipes to make rice balls and cake and such, but you can cook anything and as far as I can tell the special recipes don't offer extra hearts. The only way you ruin a dish is by adding non-food items.
Food ingredients come in two forms: base (just gives hearts) and buffs (like the stamina shrooms).
Combining buff foods for different buffs (cold resist and stamina regen for example) cancel each other out, can only have one buff per food. Base and buff foods combine just fine.
Adding multiples of a buff food can increase the strength/duration of the buff.
Cooking insects with monster parts creates elixirs, which generally have stronger buffs but fewer hearts healed (though the details depend on what food/insects you happen to have).

This is super drat helpful[i] (and makes perfect sense), thank you! We'll definitely take this stuff to heart and have to give another big round of cooking a go!

Glazius posted:

That's pretty neat. Old man teaches you how to aim a tree and you've got like two-three trees to take a shot at making a bridge with.

I imagine they "intended" you to experiment with all those stamina mushrooms all around the place and then go climb that cliff with stamina boost on? Maybe?

They've been dotting the landscape with a little of this here and there, it's a really subtle way to guide you into learning the game mechanics. Great conveyance, [i]Breath of the Wild
!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Maybe this is just my opinion, but we don't need to see EVERYTHING you do. This game was billed as being gigantic and having an endless amount of stuff to do. If we see every last little thing you do (and I'm mostly referring to travel between points you've been to before, or potential repeated boss deaths or puzzle attempts that tend to happen in Zelda LP's, on a much grander scale simply because of what this game is accomplishing), this LP will take much longer than it needs to be. It just feels like there's a lot more padding in these videos than there needs to be.

That said, I am enjoying the LP, that's just my 2 cents.

I hear you, yeah. As we move forward, I'll be keeping an eye on how we're progressing - for now we're still stretching our legs, but if it seems like we're going for long stretches without a lot happening, I might start to make some edits here and there. In the meantime though, starting tomorrow the episodes will be getting longer so as to keep us moving forward at a reasonable pace!

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm inclined to disagree; I'm enjoying the more deliberate pace. (And they have mentioned they're at least meandering vaguely in the direction of progress, not just faffing about.) As for the 'previously' segments, once a week would be fine; you can have it be 'last week on the D-Pad', which would let you cherry-pick your moments more. (You could also add 'next week on the D-Pad' if you have enough of a progress buffer.)

Yeah, if we decide we want to just go off and explore at any point, we'll definitely be making that super clear, either with an addendum to the video's title, or by saying it at the video's start. As far as the Previously segments go, I'm inclined to agree. I'm really feeling a weekly catchup will be better than daily small ones.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

FredMSloniker posted:

Something else that was mentioned in the PYF little things thread: apparently the glow of things change from red to blue when you've cleared them. It's an easy way to know what you've done, even from a distance.

Yup! This has already proven pretty helpful when scouring the Great Plateau and elsewhere for things we might have missed.

Section Z posted:

Keeping the preview bits to weekly would probably give you better choice edits along with lessening the overall workload, yeah.

Yep, two days in and I already sort of hate it, if only because the slower, more deliberate pace of this game and the more openendedness of it make it a lot harder to squeeze "last time"-worthy moments out of it. Weekly is how it'll go from here, I think.

Section Z posted:

I don't mind the casual pace, particularly at the very start of the game. Though I could understand the desire to trim stuff once things get rolling later and decided "Over an hour of footage of us hunting lizards and butterflies" isn't quite up to standard as "Learned to cook, learned to lumberjack".

But at the very least, the plateau should probably be shown off in full unless you personally think some footage just really sucks.

I don't think there's anything on the plateau that stands out as "ugh, no"-level problems, so we'll be seeing that in full. Out of 15 videos recorded so far, I think all of them are pretty decent in terms of progress and/or activity.

Section Z posted:

Along with the mixed color scheme of "You've unlocked this as a fast travel point! But still have not cleared it". Which is also shown on the map, and I thank god because I'm running out of stickers.

Ahhh, now that I did not know! Good to know moving forward, for sure!

Section Z posted:

100 sticker limit, not nearly enough it turns out :shepface:

:toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28W-p6n6GsE

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Whoa poo poo, thread got busy when I went to lunch.

First off, ladies and gents, the warm doublet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MALAzuAh5Io

Section Z posted:

Serious business sticker chat. Decide what stamp type, will be used ONLY used to mark shrines you have seen in the distance. Alternatively, don't and the viewers can enjoy your suffering when trying to remember what magic sticker means what :v:

Yeah, I'm thinking we're gonna have to sit down and decide what stickers mean what for sanity's sake. That said, there's a non-zero chance we might just beeline it for any shrines we can find, just to see what's going on inside them.

Section Z posted:

Also, pushing the sort button on equipment screens not only sorts it, by cycles it through two different types of sorting (Which took me forever to figure out why I never had consistent sorting every time I pushed the button :downs:). Weapons and shield it seems to cycle between sorting biggest numbers, or sorting by "Type". Like putting all your one handed swords/Skeletons in a row, or cycling your clothing between matching sets Vs what body part it goes on.

ooooooooh, NEATO. Definitely gonna play around with that!

Section Z posted:

Durability tracking wise, that little sparkle on some of them means it's still at max durability. So that's your way to tell which identical item you've been using or not. Took me way too loving long to realize this.

Yeah, someone had mentioned that earlier in the week - the only real ways to know how far in a weapon in is "sparkles = 100%" and "red blinky = dying". Shame it doesn't go any further than that, though...

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Are you guys planning on longer episodes in the future? I feel like a game of this scope could use 30 minute+ episodes to really get progress done while limiting the amount of videos you have to put out. An hour or more would be a bit much, though.

Definitely considering it. The next seven episodes are all in the 20-25 minute range, partly since we were all desperate to keep moving, partly because it was starting to feel necessary. If we need to go longer, we'll slide it up even more!

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Gonna head this one off at the pass:

Yes, we forgot to try Stasis on the rock outside Owa Daim. Yes, we will go back for it in the next recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29rLle5sZI0

Gimbal lock posted:

Easy weapon inventory management: out of space? Use the right dpad to switch to a weapon you no longer want and just throw it. No need to mess around in the menu.

CLEVER CLEVER. That's so much faster, I LIKE IT.

Glazius posted:

Why did you get that take button near the tree in the beginning? Well, here are two interesting facts.

1) Wild Pokemon live in tall grass.

2) The original Pokemon game was developed by Satoshi Tajiri as a way to share the fun he had as a kid going out bug-catching with a generation that stayed indoors more.

Assuming I'm right in understanding what you're referring to, I did not know of the existence of those things when we recorded that episode, else I would have been all FIND IT FIND IT FIND IT. Oof.

Koorisch posted:

I like that you guys completely ignored the pop-up that told you what the new ability is and what it does then didn't understand how to get rid of the huge stone.

You might have to have at least one of you guys reading stuff so you don't miss stuff like that again considering how fun that ability is to use when you get creative. :v:

YEUUUUUUP. Idiot moment on our part, that was a particularly bad immediate brain fart. WILL CORRECT ASAP WITH INTENSITY

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Glazius posted:

I like how all your rune powers have their own bright color so far. Red magnets, blue bombs, yellow time-out.

It's actually interesting that the shrine didn't need you to use stasis in order to get the chest out of it. I mean, you could, probably, but it was just close enough to sprint to at full force.

Some of the shrines we've seen so far definitely seem to have a few challenge-able runs like that, would be neat to see someone attempt a runeless run!

Junpei posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glZnkpIDWSE

This guy did something really cool for this game being released that you have to see.

Also, I love how this game does more interesting things with four (technically five with the double Remote Bomb, but semantics) abilities then most Zelda games get with six to eight.

That was pretty rad! Definitely strikes me as laziness taken to its most refined form, but it's definitely quirky and charming. Some interesting uses for some of those songs, I was wondering how he'd work those in. The Song of Healing resetting everything was a particularly nice touch.

And now, let's get this last shrine out of the way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9jd1Pm5GhY

Also, happy to report that Part 1 just hit 1000 views, hell yeah! Hopefully you guys are digging it so far (seems like you are), and we'll be out of the plateau and into the real game in the next day or two!

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 20, 2017

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Two quasi-related things!

First up, last week we finally had our first Patreon hangout since October of last year -- it was meant to be a monthly event (and was for a year running, and then this winter kicked the loving poo poo out of us), but we brought it back, as seen below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGqWqu6xHDQ

Part of the stream involves discussing Breath of the Wild, along with the future of the Legendary Let's Play (we still have quite a few non-canon/non-core games left over that we want to check out, a la The Mega Let's Play).

The other big problem is that YouTube is killing new annotations on May 2. Old annotations will stay (thank gently caress, way too many videos across YouTube would be busted as hell without them), but on May 2 we won't be able to make more. This unfortunately means that we will no longer be able to use SKIP buttons in our videos. Thankfully, the impact on Zelda is pretty minimal: each Monday there's a 90-second intro to recap the previous week, and the rest of the week the intro is quick and to the point. Other series might have trouble, and I think I'll ultimately append the button such that it says "SKIP" with a timecode under it so people can manually move (since there'll be no non-obstructive way to have a skip button AFAIK. I'd use a card, but then that (i)'ll be in the corner for the whole video. No.

EDIT:

FredMSloniker posted:

...do I even want to know what the deal with the zebra is?

While I was wrapping up editing, a video from Last Week Tonight made it onto YouTube that featured, rather than the usual 15-20 minute segment, a zebra dancing for 23 minutes with the recommendation that it be used for whatever the hell you want. My School House Rock bit needed a dash of something extra, so I said gently caress it, what the hell

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 20, 2017

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Glazius posted:

Huh. The shrines are actually three for three for "nearby chests that need the shrine rune to access". Maybe four for four if you go exploring around the ruins near the bomb one?

That's not a bad idea... we have recorded us heading back to Owa Daim, but Ja Baij might be worth scoping out too.

Section Z posted:

"Why aren't they just using Cryo-oh right, they still have to go in the shrine for that. The shrine they are walking to." For what it's worth, lifting gates with ice blocks is the trick I'm constantly forgetting exists when it comes to ice :downs:

Oh, I'm sure we'll all forget how super useful that mechanic is in no time!

Section Z posted:

Also, background gags that turned into more evidence of Nintendo's secret mercy mechanics. Watching the raft drift away down the river slowly while you were playing magnet fishing... And then it's respawned in it's starting position while you are chasing your firewood.

...oh, god drat it.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Holy poo poo, we're FINALLY gonna leave the Great Plateau! Also, PLOT DUMP. Nice and early. Alrighty, well there goes a considerable amount of the mystery, oh well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNrrGkr8JwI

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

vdate posted:

I hear tell the game just straight-up throws the kid gloves away at this point, so I look forward to seeing the trouble you'll get into!

You're not gonna have to wait long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0bpI-t9HlI

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Hey everybody, sorry about the lack of updates - rather serious medical emergency on the team had us more than a little scattered and I was on support detail for a good chunk.

Long story short: Ben discovered he had an increasingly infected gall bladder, got it removed, no more fatty foods for Big Ben. He's gonna be on bed rest for a couple days, but he's in good spirits (even though being made to laugh is actually dangerous right now, so... maybe John and I aren't to be trusted near him just yet).

Now that weaponized comedy is on the table, let's get you guys caught up, and today's episode too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkpI12_hgUQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGLqXP0nB1s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx9APzckJZ4

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Yeah, a conversation on the Discord server pointed out that the Patreon reward of "Ben will eat a whole cheesecake" might be somewhat less feasible now...

Not sure about the details just yet, Lindsay says they went in through four incisions in his abdomen, I think?

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

WHAT'S THAT COMING OVER THE HILL, IS IT A MONSTER? IS IT A MONSTER?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4A7-572-CQ

I'll be seeing Ben again tonight, I'm sure he'll be thrilled with all the well-wishing! He's back at home and resting, so he'll be back on his feet and active again in no time!

Section Z posted:

Being told you need a organ removed in the first place can't be easy, so good luck with the recovery and results.

Also I'm so goddamned jealous that you caught your first fallen star. I basically spent all game with any naturally occurring fallen star fading away right as I was ten feet away :argh:

Lizal boomerangs :swoon:

Haha, yeah I'm getting the impression that was a super fluke that we managed to get one so early, even if it cost us.

savixeon posted:

How soon will you guys be getting back to the main quest ghost king gave you? Also it was kind of impressive how quickly you forgot the first bridge you ran to in episode 14 when you wanted to go across the river.

Even as we're wandering, we're keeping an eye on the map -- we want to explore, but we also want to at least move vaguely in the direction of our next goal. I can say that within the next week, we will reach our destination.

Gimbal lock posted:

I love how everybody freaked out when the weapon was about to be thrown, despite it being a boomerang.
You use a boomerang by actually throwing it. So long as it doesn't hit a wall or a rock or anything, it'll do exactly what you expect. Don't forget to catch it.

Yeah, I was sort of surprised at the level of freakout. It wasn't expecting to be in throw mode with it at the time, but still.

vdate posted:

Well, I just got this game and then accidentally played for seven straight hours. Fortunately, that means I've passed where you're at! I was going to say that means I can watch without fear of spoilers but I guess in a game this open-world that might not actually be true. You could end up taking an entirely different route than me and showing off things I've never seen! Ah well, I'm sure it'll be fine.

I will say that even one play session gave me new sympathy for your collective level of distractability because I found myself doing the same thing, repeatedly. Even when I told myself I'd get right to the point - but ooh what's that through that log tunnel?

Glad to have some sympathetic chaos amidst the landscape! I feel like we've been super aimless, and yet a lot of the folks around where we are in the game seem to be just as easily wandery, so I'm not too too worried.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

See that's the crazy thing, someone posted a screencap of that exact moment to our Discord, said "How did you guys miss this!?", then followed it up with "Except I missed it too..."

NO idea. I guess we were just super focused.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I suspect the worst might be Skyward Sword. Jump off a cliff, go for cloth, float straight down, ohfuckohfuckohfuck

And today, we all completely fail after I unknowingly blurt out one solution, then we find another entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSFt0iw-A7E

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Meanwhile, in today's adventure, Ben is... getting acclimated to the overall environmental effects, and learning how metal and static electricity work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLYeQgXYd80

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Section Z posted:

Sounds like Hyrule Warriors is in the D-Pad's future. At least, if they want to meet the wish to play as Agitha. In arbitrary unlocks mode

Well the Wii U version is already in our past, but I suspect that at some point we'll be playing Hyrule Warriors Legends as well.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Hey guys! Sorry for the delay on posting these, this weekend was my birthday and pretty much everyone kept me busy (to the point where we may have had more than a few slight delays in video postings), but things are back on track!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_Ybo_dgs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnJmGc5kYxs

We will have another video going up sometime tonight, though we have yet to record Part 23, so depending if we're getting to that tonight or not, I may wait so that there's a decent preview chunk.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Sorry about the lack of updates, caught a nasty virus that crushed my energy and put me in bed for two days. I look rad in a mask though.

First off, we reached Kakariko and talked to Impa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr7vy2C-RdU

And now we're on our way to Hateno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQh9ZYvM1P8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I8_v5lbxkE

Onto the stuff in here:

Section Z posted:

Thank god you took the path. So many people missed out Inventory Upgrades for ages because they climbed over mountains and other cool stuff on their way to Kakariko. Overall I like the korok seed system, but I can understand it being a complete bitch if you don't know about it/miss it.

Klumple will be a good horse for you. Hardly spoiler chat since you were just at a stable, but Gentle (multi color horses) = Less prone to tell you to go gently caress yourself trying to steer them. So no throwing you off their back if you try to dash with no stamina, or deciding to take a 45 degree turn all on their own when crossing a bridge with no guard rails. Wild horses (Solid color) get to have higher stats, but even at 100% bond will be disagreeable at times. But if you actually use horses a lot, you get used to them.

That said, Klumple has some nice stats for a gentle horsey. Also, try holding the Z target button then moving the stick around when your horse is stationary :v:

We love Klumple! Got the funniest loving thing I've ever seen involving Klumple in Part 26 on Monday, it's worth the wait, I promise!

vdate posted:

Now that you're in Kakariko, don't forget to stop by the clothing shop to stare enviously at some new clothes (or buy some, assuming you're willing to sell some gems, which you should be because you'll get more than enough for what you need them for later).

We are complete idiots and missed the clothing shop, BUT the next episode we're recording requires us to head back to Kakariko anyway, so we'll check it out then!

As for the spoiler-laden one, in order: Whoops, Whoops, Found that out!, and YES.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I love the mesh of tech and magic, it's basically everything I was hoping the distant past of Skyward Sword would be! Speaking of which, there's a nice reference to Skyward Sword coming up in Part... 28, I think? Hard to keep track, but I'm impressed that they didn't just leave these details out.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Yeup. You'd think they would have considered that if he broke out, there may have been a reason why.

I honestly would have far preferred (in terms of story) that they be taken completely by surprise, and the shells of the unused guardians were what he took over instead of actively utilized ones. I don't dislike the existing story, but it feels a little convenient that they could be ready so quickly after 10,000 years.

Do you know what they were eating in Asia 10,000 years ago? I don't because they were just about to cultivate rice. It's like saying "Okay guys, we killed Rasputin, but be ready for him to come back in case he does," and in the year 11,900 they're still preparing for this guy.

It's a bit of a nitpick, but hey.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

After all the talk about this being in the Child Timeline (or well past it), I kind of hope (vainly) that Calamity Ganon is somehow all that's left of Ganon after his trip through the Twilight Realm and being murdered by telepathic/conjoined necksnap. Just this horrible ragegod without a filter anymore.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Yeah, we're returning to Kakariko in Thursday's video, we'll definitely make sure to spend some time actually talking to folks there and in Hateno. And it's interesting seeing the game unfold with... sort of even less regard for any semblance of a timeline than normal? I wanna say on Wednesday there's a nice reference all the way back to Skyward Sword, but this may be so far ahead in the timeline that "which one" doesn't even matter anymore.

In the meantime, I'm an idiot and didn't post Friday's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bISUMyjLTj4

...but more importantly, today's episode is all about the search for everyone's favorite horse, Klumple!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjdGUuI2l08

Thumbnail's dorky 'cause I don't have access to my upload laptop atm, so here, have a bonus image, my favorite screencap of Klumple.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

savixeon posted:

Now that you guys have gotten the upgraded sensor I have a bit of advice for you. Get a picture of a treasure chest as soon as you can. It doesn't matter how fancy the chest is, it just needs to be a treasure chest. Then whenever you're in a shrine you can set your sensor to look for treasure chests to make it easier to find them.

...I am loving flabbergasted that actually works.

savixeon posted:

Also, on the topic of the sensor, other than being annoyed by the beeping when you're near a shrine, I don't know why you wouldn't want it on all the time. A lot of the shrines are going to be hidden and the sensor does help find them. And the noise only happens when you're near the shrine so most of the time you won't hear it.

True, I think I'm gonna push to keep the sensor on all the time, at least when we're out and about.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I'm a big rear end in a top hat and the IRS is taking advantage of that this week, hoorayyyyyyy. Part 31 was delayed yesterday because we needed to sit down and record more (so we'd have a Next Time clip), so later on today it'll be landing!

In the meantime, I am a bad bad man and didn't post these for you lovelies. Let's get us some titty magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mszv7kcemgk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwdvgqAmApo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmfqlyJjlLE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bak5jAYbZZg

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

It's SUPER disorienting, in a weird way. You think "oh, I gotta be close" and then it's ten minutes of walking in a straight line still not being anywhere near where you need to be. Had to briefly explain how perspective works while looking for one of them (still haven't found it, we're letting the memories take a bit of a backseat for now as we explore).

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I think I'm gonna take the wheel for Part 36. I'm pretty curious about a couple things, particularly the other Kakariko errands and Mt. Lanayru. I don't think I've gotten myself into any BIG battles yet, and I'm curious to see if it's even possible for me to take down a Hinox and/or a Lynel right now. Maybe less so the latter, since we still don't have much in the way of health...

BUT YES, we're finally feeling the openness of the game start to take hold! It's... a little overwhelming, we're sort of aimless on where we should go. I'm honestly thinking "pick a direction and go". We shall see.

Also, chaos rules my life, so I was bad again, here are the episodes I didn't post. More coming today and tomorrow, since we needed to catch up a bit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdpJ573crpU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU8WZwTZBvY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odEo3nKaTSo

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

vdate posted:

One of the great wonders of this game is that 'pick a direction and go' is a completely viable plan, especially near the start of the game. Talk to the folks you meet on the road, and keep a piece of paper and a pen handy near the console - there's some things that don't count as side quests or don't autolog themselves until a little bit into the quest proper, so having some permanent record is very handy. Plus it works as a to-do list - even if you're not tough enough to get something done right away, you can leave a stamp and note the location down. Plus (and this might be just me) the 'completed' quest log serves as an interesting artifact of your time playing the game - I've covered about four pages in written notes by now, and it's interesting how my attitudes to things have shifted as I've proceeded through the game, as chronicled by my notes to myself.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm gonna start using our Pokémon Rivals notebook for Breath of the Wild too - not just because it's getting hard to remember stuff we wanted to go back and look at, but also just because it means we can keep track of stuff that may not come up for fifty hours if we're not paying attention. I'm glad that in this latest batch of episodes, "pick a direction and go" has resulted in us actually finding a path to our first Divine Beast :)

Bruceski posted:

On the quest log, the R stick will switch between main quests (those aren't gonna change much from what you have), shrine quests (quests that end in a shrine, either as a puzzle or someone saying "I heard there's something off in that lagoon but it's so far away I can't be arsed to check"), sidequests (cucco gathering, et cetera, there's a bunch of these usually found in towns or stables that can be handy to give some direction to the faffing about) and cutscenes.

Yup, we are absolutely gonna be utilizing that more, as it seems like we're starting to find ourselves in a bit of a quest pileup.

Bruceski posted:

You guys said "we should find a shrine here before we leave", climbed a ridge, saw a shrine, then turned around and went home. That happens in this game even when it's just ONE person playing, but I gotta rag on ya for it.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. Even worse, I took the reins for Part 36 specifically to explore more of Kakariko Village and Mt. Lanayru, and we wound up accidentally finding the plot and not doing so. SOON.

ZeeToo posted:

I am amused at how much trouble y'all had with the sensor.

SWEET CHRIST that was like pulling teeth :|

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I'd love to see the insanity of you guys trying to use boulder/stasis as a transportation; Find a large boulder and stasis charge it, smack it, then climb onto the side before time runs out and get LAUNCHED!

:] Keep an eye out. It doesn't end great.

AND SO, we wound up doing a bit of catchup over the weekend, and started back on the normal amount of videos we want (daily), so let's get things caught up to yesterday -- new video coming later on tonight! We're FINALLY moving ourselves along and seem to have stumbled onto the plot of the game again! TIME TO GET SWOLE WITH THE SHARKS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Wy2NqdhZI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6QI-jdJ2-o https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbrJJH964Gk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1tcaIcsL0E

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

He's a pretty rad dude, despite him still not making it clear why he needs me specifically when I'm visibly ill-equipped for what he wants of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Arcomage posted:

That doesn't matter! He clearly thinks you're awesome! He believes in you! You can do the thing!

(Disclaimer: The last twenty people he thought were awesome may or may not be rotting somewhere downriver.)

Yeah, something about his unnecessarily chipper attitude has me worried that I might not be the first one to "help"...

Thesaya posted:

I just found this and am on season five. Regarding figuring out cooking in Zelda courtesy of Manly Guys doing Manly things by Coelasquid;

PERFECTION. I wanna say Manly Guys Doing Manly Things was the comic I was thinking of too - my girlfriend showed me either this or a very similar comic, which was how I realized you even could just huck stuff in the fire in the first place.

snograt posted:

You've done what absolutely everyone who's played this game has done: forgotten about cryonis. You finally used it at the end of the puzzle, but you can use it at the start too - just magic up a cryonis block on the wall behind the orb to start its journey!

YEUP. Popular opinion right now is "Guys, seriously, stop forgetting Cryonis", and I honestly don't know how it is that we keep forgetting it's there - not to mention not noticing that the wall behind the ball had water flowing over it too. We'll get there, hopefully this year...

Glazius posted:

Yeah, don't forget that you have ice powers in the water world. Good advice in general.

It's also interesting just how many old legends of things you can follow to go get cool stuff. Zora Helm's definitely worth getting before you take on the rest of the domain.

Yeahhhhhhh based on where these next few episodes go, I'm thinking we should go seek that out before progressing much further...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Grp6y0zkI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzbATi7kuLE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilnjqmL-X_4

• Locked thread