Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Amazon hosed up my release day delivery for Breath of the Wild so gently caress em

Gonna use my return credit from my late rear end Breath of the Wild to buy Persona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Only 82?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I preordered the physical copy and I'm getting a controller skin which is dumb but I kind of want to use it

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

julian assflange posted:

I have never played these before is it worth starting earlier or can I just pick up the new on right away?

Play 3 and 4 first if you think you might want to play 300+ hours of anime because if you play 5 first and try to go back the other ones probably won't seem as good. It's really hard to play 3 after playing 4 due to all the quality of life improvements.

And while I haven't played 5, after seeing the Baton Pass they're adding in 5, I think it would be something you'd sorely miss if you went back.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Yeah actually my advice was kind of dumb because I don't like the newer versions of either 3 or 4. I could just never get in to them (I bought FES but only played The Answer). It's probably because I played the vanilla versions of 3 and 4 twice each anyway and couldn't commit to playing another 80 hours with the new stuff (though I didn't like not being able to walk around in P3P and hated the new character in 4).

Play whatever the newest version of the game you're interested in is and you should be good. They are all really good games. It's a shame Persona and (to a lesser extent) 2 have aged so poorly because there is some wild poo poo in those games.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

bump_fn posted:

is tokyo mirage sessions any good

I love the aesthetic and some of the ideas but ultimately found the gameplay somewhat lacking. I don't like that you need to grind with weapons Final Fantasy 9 style to get / power-up abilities but I do like that sometimes your attacks turn into jpop clips.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Thanks GameStop you giant piece of poo poo for selling me my copy at 9pm it's time to call upon the me that is inside of me, Persona

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I'd call out of work tomorrow to play but my wife would make fun of me haha.

Goddamn this opening sequence though

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Just found out that Philemon is some dude from the Bible who is all about forgiveness and reconciliation.... hope my best bud Philemon comes back finally.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

He has a really deep and almost menacing voice compared to his old voice. I'm pretty sure they layered some mild distortion over it as well. Dude sounds wild

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

In Training posted:

militant radicalism

:yeah:

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

In Training posted:

Like, christ...early mechanics stuff the first after school activity you're given access to is "hang out in your attic and craft homemade bombs" lmao

fffffffffffffffffffff I wanna play more so bad that sounds rad

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Hoping it's like Alpha Protocol irt wanna walk out of that interrogation room later and murder everyone

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Yeah wanted to screenshot the creepy dude saying the police are my bitches, but wasn't allowed to. Thanks Sony

Pretty sure that would be Atlus' decision, not Sony.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I haven't gotten there yet but I feel like baton pass is going to be the #1 thing that feels missing going back to older SMT games.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

myDad posted:

Is there a time limit between each plot point or smth?

You can choose your activities to an extent but they take up time. P3 and on give you time limits where certain dungeons have to be resolved by a specific date in game.

So if you need to grind a bunch it can mean many trips to the dungeon before clearing and coming closer to the deadline.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I wish they would leave school again one day. Maybe it's just because of Maya in P2 but I feel like being an investigative journalist could be a perfect fit for the game where your leads dry up at a certain date or whatever.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Loving the special results screens after all out attack wins

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

In Training posted:

Her outfit is badas

"women aren't sex objects for you"

*knockdown stance is face down rear end up*

Writers and animators on opposite sides of the cafeteria giving each other dirty looks

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The game really opens up on 4/20 for anyone wondering when it does.

Hell yeah

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Lol the movies at the theater on central street im nothing like you.... you're a psychopath who bakes for money

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Everyone who talked about the first boss design holy moly you were right

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

In Training posted:

It's cool that they just put Tartarus in this game

Welp gotta stay out of the thread now

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

The game really opens up on 4/20

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

In Training posted:

I found the one thing I don't like about this game and it's that always annoying RPG mechanic where if the MC dies it's an insta game over.

I had 3hp last night wondering if that was the case

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

In Training posted:

I just lost like a half hour of dungeon crawling because I was trying to figure out what an enemies weakness was and when their turn came around they one shot MC from full health with just a physical attack.

I find myself getting careless with the "Press R1 to have the game target a weakness for you" thing. I assume they have it in Hard mode too but if not basically you just tap R1 and if you have an attack one of the non-downed enemies is weak to, it'll highlight it automatically and you can just hit X to confirm.

Anyway on the MC I switched to a level 2 Pyro Jack while fighting some mobs like 8 levels higher... Almost went bad haha.

It's going to be an issue later since I'm used to pulling the cheapest option possible out of the compendium to ensure arcana bonuses during social links so I'll always have some trash mons in stock

Fumaofthelake fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 6, 2017

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

In Training posted:

TFW you beat a boss and every single party member levels up

that popping sound

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

In Training posted:

"We hate cops"

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Seriously guys where is the DVD rental store?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

IdealFlaws posted:

This is a good game. It's my first persona. Is there any downside to always responding like an rear end whenever the dialogue option is there? I can't resist some of these answers sometimes they're just too funny

If you're on an event trying to build rank with a confidant it's probably not a great idea in terms of maximizing relationship growth. Otherwise it's probably fine.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I think most of what you can get from SMT you can get that and more from playing persona on whatever the hardest difficulty is

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Except for an ending where you kill god and let demons roam the earth which honestly now that I think if it is kind of a mark against persona

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

The time between persona 1 and 3 is basically the same as between 3 and 5 and realizing that made me appreciate 3 more. They really nailed the basics of what would be their formula going forward and persona 3 today still feels relatively modern whereas in 2006 persona 1 was already like the drat Stone Age.

I miss how between 1 and 2 there was some crossover like meeting the team from 1 and even recruiting one in 2. I want to recruit some 40 year old persona havers form the original games.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

In Training posted:

Yeah I went back to P3 as well and after getting used to the partner AI in like 2 hours it was still an awesome game with a totally different vibe

It fits the theme that your team does their own poo poo and just lol if you can't figure out how to get the results you want anyway

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

mycophobia posted:

everything I'm reading says that ps3 version has slower loading times and runs at 720p instead of 1080p, and that's about it. both apparently run at a consistent 30fps

Games is usually bad but it can be useful for technical information. They seem to be saying the same thing over there.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Sleng Teng posted:

Why do I need to go to bed early just to talk to someone tomorrow, this cat is such a downer

Yeah he suckssssssss

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

Same. I brought my Vita to work so I can try to remote play on my lunch break

Ohhhh poo poo this is some Temperance level game

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

In Training posted:

Travelling tomorrow for a week so no P5 for a bit...Im tempted to pick up P2 on Vita though for the journey.

This is a really good idea

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

HolePisser1982 posted:

these are all bootlegs or whatever and probably depend entirely on what resolution the person uploaded it in, but yeah
https://www.redbubble.com/shop/persona

I like the Spookies shirt that snuck in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Kongming posted:

Well I wasn't really expecting this to happen (social link spoiler)You can start relationships with ANY of the female links, including your own teacher. I'm dating the doctor now. Feels a little wrong to me.

I'm considering dating the teacher just to see how hosed up and tone deaf it is. Situation way different but uhhhhh we do the Kamoshida story then you can end up off camera loving your teacher who comes to your room at night to clean under your bed and call you master like nahhhhh

Also you cannot date Sae (the investigator) but otherwise you're correct.

• Locked thread