Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

I love ads because they purposely are aspirational and make you hope you can someday be as good as beautiful actors who have it all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiEj4RNpYME
i hope the analog distortion was part of the ad when tape was good

my favorite part of this one is that atari executives are so broke they thought it would be ok to show a "corporate executive" driving a vw fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Max Facetime posted:

I never imagined hp had several movie studios churning out pc and printer movies

one? sure, why not, everyone's got one, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLTh4uVJduI

there were probably, at peak, a total of 10,000 possible customers for this product

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i actually enjoy tv and magazine ads. like that's half the point of watching live tv or reading a magazine

the internet, as usual, hosed everything up

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

haha yeah i like that ad with the gecko and then also i like seeing it one million times in a broadcast

ok yeah every ad wears out its welcome on the second viewing

it's true

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

it already has happened as alluded to in the mp3 thread. The articles were paid for by frauenhoffer to move licensors over to AAC

native advertising is the new advertising since yall adblock

native advertising gets around adblock but doesn't solve the problem of the inventory being utter poo poo.

ads inject very well into a tv-watching session. ads are genuinely useful as a search result. but they're just a frustrating intrusion on your twitter timeline or fb messenger or snapchat or whatever.

the problem is that a lot of modern media consumption habits just don't provide good ad inventory. "native" or whatever an ad network is selling this week won't wave that problem away with a magic wand.

there is, so far, no advertising on a smartphone that both a.) doesn't suck and b.) could plausibly absorb the demand for advertising that presently exists.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

search ads work because they're text so they're easy and cheap to make

search ads work because they are amazing loving inventory. you are showing an ad to someone who already wants whatever it is you are trying to sell. it's pure loving magic.

you can't re-create that magic with something that isn't search. learning you like your aunt's eggplants on facebooks doesn't harvest any intent.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

The future of ads are hyper personalized, or native based off the niche audience who is watching

so the question is, do you watch niche content, or stuff for the masses?

hyper-personalization and niche content are pitches from increasingly-desperate ad men

the truth is that advertising will be less valuable in the future than it is today. people staring at facebook on a smartphone are not as good an audience as television watchers and billboard viewers, and no amount of wishing will make it otherwise.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
for the record, i love advertising. like, really love it. i often think how my life could have been different if i followed my dreams and wrote ad copy for a living.

in reality i am a computer toucher. but i literally collect print advertising and frame fine examples in my home. and maintain vast archives of stuff not cool enough to frame just because i like it.

and not even i am deluded enough to think micro-targeted native ads on a phone will save the industry

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
tv ads were good

internet ads are bad and dumb and getting worse every day because lol @ advertising anything via mobile

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

the internet is going full paid get ready for what an ad free internet is like! going to be like a god drat toll road everywhwere for anything that isn't a listicle with ads!!!!

https://contributor.google.com/v/marketing

a god drat toll road everywhere was the inevitable outcome.. internet advertising is, and forever will be, poo poo.

if anything we should be glad it is happening with a bang instead of a whimper

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

spoiler alert: if what you're watching isn't art for art sake, its an ad.

ads are still art

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Linguica posted:

and you are virally sharing a news story written about the ad campaign. congrats

that queasy feeling in your gut is just a McCraving™

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

the question is, are you ready for a world where the ad and content are indistinguishable from each other?

it amuses me that you believe you do not already live in this world

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

lol websites have little value. got it.

online advertising is, by and large, worthless

the only meaningful exception is google search

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

Why bother catering to customers who bring you no income?

because organic "sharing" drives visitor counts

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

isn't it ill-defined "services" and consulting basically?

ibm "global services" revenues have been falling for several years now

1. customers won't let you bill $400/hour anymore

2. customers particularly won't let you bill $400/hour after you move the entire team to india

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mulligan posted:

also ad blockers never make us afraid because unless our cluster is composed of dumb internet janitors we never see an impact in our funnel.

maybe you should be afraid

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
internet advertising is poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy Carter posted:

Americans are really not good at understanding how to haggle

saw a guy at a Best Buy trying to get a ‘good guy discount’ on a phone like it was PC Richard & Son in the 90’s

pc richard and son will still haggle with you today in tyool 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

fixed pricing for all customers is pretty much an invention of the american advertising industry circa 1920

prior to that it was normal to haggle over any purchase, and for shopkeepers to arbitrarily raise or lower prices depending on how much they liked you

it was invented long ago for various purposes but what led to its omnipresence was big box stores

when you pay your sales guys $5 and hour and 0.01% commission, they are not going to fight for pennies or work a customer over to get the price up

the only places that still haggle over prices are places that have fat margins and pay salespeople well enough out of the margin to make some haggling worthwhile

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

i found this in my /img folder

for accuracy they should have been born from the horse's rear end in a top hat

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Powaqoatse posted:

nah my man

even if ads were illegal, capitalism would find a way to exploit everyone so

it would be cool if ads were illegal though because our public spaces would be nicer

billboards are blight

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stick Insect posted:

Didn't the old adblock plus have exactly that feature? Where you'd permit some of the less obnoxious ads.

And then the rumours started that advertisers could pay to be added to the list of "safe" ads.

I'd be okay with some ads if they don't animate and don't track me, but since there's no way for me to verify the latter I'll just play it safe.

the ads have to be "safe" AND they gotta pay

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

Adblock is a mafia like sham scheme already where they make the advertiser pay again to actually be shown on the user screen

it's the reason why google and Firefox are adding it natively because why miss out on the revenue streams for the up coming ad wars?

they are adding it natively because the browser market is competitive and users hate ads

no amount of huff or umbrage will make internet advertising good. users hate it, the ads don't work well, and rates have been falling since day one

the whole industry is a scam. when all this is over, the only ads left will be search and in-line video

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

u fucker this poo poo is going to stick in my youtube recs for months.

lol at retaining any YouTube cookies

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

uunnnnffffff I love it when a site sells out every corner to a brand

site takeovers still work because people in windows have to click somewhere in the window

this is unironically good advertising

if you are visiting the imdb page for the last jedi, you have already indicated an interest in the last jedi. that is an excellent time to inform you it is now playing in theatres, and show you cool promotional material!

it is a rare, rare case of non-search advertising not being terrible

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 16, 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Schadenboner posted:

Except a Savers Card for the brothel your mother works at.

i don't think you can stack the friends and family discount w/ loyalty rewards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

this ham radio site mandates you create an account with your callsign for most of its features, and then looks you up on the FCC so they can adblock-shame you using your full legal name.

note that the site has been active with that same message since 2012

there will always be old dudes browsing with ie6

• Locked thread