Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pagancow posted:

the internet is going full paid get ready for what an ad free internet is like! going to be like a god drat toll road everywhwere for anything that isn't a listicle with ads!!!!

https://contributor.google.com/v/marketing

this seems like a good thing op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stick Insect posted:

I make my computer click the ads for me: https://adnauseam.io/

(don't use this on sites where you log in, or sites you actually like)

this reminds me of the guy who liked everything on facebook

i mightve read about it itt now that i think about it lol

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

youre welcome op anytime

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Smythe posted:

imagine not using the best browser thats also platform agnostic and has the best plugins due to some aids infected ideology lol. im talking about Chrome btw, if it wasnt obVious enough, Bitch

"google is tracking me theyre so bad!!!"

*logs onto facebook using firefox*

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pagancow posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-microsoft-amazon-taboola-pay-adblock-plus-to-stop-blocking-their-ads-2015-2

Google reportedly pays %30 of the of the ad revenue to the adblockers

That means they spent up to $30 billion dollars last year just unblocking ads.

good thing they make adblockers that just block everything regardless of whether anyone pays or not

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

a company tricked them into buying a lovely product by lying about its quality. that's extremely effective advertising, granted, but it only works repeatedly on the terminally stupid (gamers).

no one else is going to keep pre-ordering products from the same company that burns them like that over and over again.

lol let me introduce you to dyp and all the samsung fans therein

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

do hipsters view ads ironically?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Powaqoatse posted:

lol if youd want ads to be well targeted

"this blight on humanity is the exact blight on humanity i prefer!"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

b/c of this thread i was trying to think of where i actually do see advertising

-on tv during live sporting events
-maybe if you count things like signs by the highway for restaurants and gas thats off the exit?

i mean no one reads print magazines or watches live tv or reads the newspaper or goes to retail stores or listens to the radio anymore and my state doesnt allow highway billboards so all the places i used to see ads are just gone

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stymie posted:

-going to the grocery store
-seeing other people's clothing/possessions
-looking at the products you own in your own home

people who say they "don't see ads" or "advertising doesn't work on them" are just generally oblivious, not some sort of willpower overlords

i thought about the grocery store but there i figure its advertising by necessity like they have to stock the shelves somehow so ofc if they can get paid to front certain brands theyll do so and if they didnt get paid well theyd still be fronting something

the other people thing well im a goon so usually in a given day im seeing like maybe one other persons clothing and possessions and they live in my house so idk that really counts because theyre also my possessions

i mean yeah youre right branding and signaling is embedded everywhere but i think thats kind of distinct from capital-a advertising maybe idk i could be wrong

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stymie posted:

you're very wrong

advertising is everywhere unless you literally never leave your home and make everything you own from scratch

brands are passive advertising, and even then you still see ads but they may not be liminal to you but that doesn't mean you don't see them and they don't have an effect on you

i didnt say they didnt have an effect on me i said i dont see them who cares if theyre effective? i just dont want to be bothered idc if im influenced

so i guess i was wrong in that i committed the sin of replying to stymie and paid the price

oh btw liminal means the opposite of what you think it does the definition is

quote:

The noun limen refers to the point at which a physiological or psychological effect begins to be produced, and liminal is the adjective used to describe things associated with that point, or threshold, as it is also called.

and therefore your statement "they may not be liminal to you but that doesn't mean you don't see them and they don't have an effect on you" is nonsense in that liminal literally means to have an effect :)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stymie posted:

oh sweet thanks for the dictionary definition of a word i didn't know we were in d&d

we arent but when youre using the language completely incorrectly its unlikely well find any common ground in discussion. your sentence did literally mean the opposite of your intended meaning after all

Stymie posted:

the point is you're seeing them and they're influencing you whether you choose to acknowledge that fact or not

if you don't want to see them, then i suggest you buy some land in the middle of nowhere and start watching some primitive technology youtubes

this is true but unfortunately entirely unrelated to my point i fully acknowledge that advertising exists and i am influenced by it

do you believe people hate ads because they dont want to be influenced or because they dont want to be bothered?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CommunistPancake posted:

ah yes, that's why subliminal means "no effect"

i cut that from mirriam-websters explanation but it was literally the next sentence

quote:

Likewise, the closely related word subliminal means "below a threshold"; it can describe something inadequate to produce a sensation or something operating below a threshold of consciousness. Because the sensory threshold is a transitional point where sensations are just beginning to be perceptible, liminal acquired two extended meanings. It can mean "barely perceptible" and is now often used to mean "transitional" or "intermediate," as in "the liminal zone between sleep and wakefulness."

obv. if he had written subliminal that would have been correct

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stymie posted:

i believe that thinking and then furthermore stating you don't see ads is incredibly naive and displaying a general obliviousness, as aforementioned

i also think you stated as much because you were trying to display a level of unearned superiority because of your righteous lack of ad-seeing

ah so youre just wrong gotcha

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pagancow posted:

"noo...i dont like advertising! you see, i dont actually see it i just..you...what are you ...MY WORLD IS BREAKING DOWN"

yes...let the brands flow

actually that was my point in posting im actually coming around to your way of seeing things

i do have a question for someone whos on the inside tho

are there any studies that show the effectiveness of exposure to branding and signaling vs the kind of traditional advertising that id call "interruptions" that seem to be universally loathed and are increasingly avoided?

like i said im almost entirely devoid of things like tv radio and internet ads that are intrusive and annoying but the other stuff thats getting paid for in lieu of that--are those things effective? are they moreso or less so?

if i can be advertised to but not annoyed that would seem to be the exact person a company would want to target but how does one go about that?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stick Insect posted:

That explains a lot but still :wtc:

apple doesnt let other browsers use anything other than the inbuilt webkit engine on ios and even then only with the gimped js so no extensions written for firefox could work

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

on android it's webkit

nah, they reversed it completely with ios8. any webview uses the fast js engine, but ad blockers are still exclusive to safariviews, which alternate browsers won't have.

ah didnt know that

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Powaqoatse posted:

lol theyre game pads arent plugged in :xd:

being dualshock 4s i should hope not

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Powaqoatse posted:

nice meltdown, but youre no kirk

kirk now theres a product im willing to buy

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

yeah lol who would want to repair their multi-hundred dollar purchase when they can just throw it away lmao

tbf theres only four parts to a tv the screen the housing the control board and the power supply (and the last two could be one unit in some sets)

if the housing or the screen break you can see how those cant be fixed so youre left with the ps or the control board. the power supply runs about $100 and thats usually easy to diagnose it either powers on or it doesnt so thats around $150 to $200 for a guy to come to your house and replace that so i can see going that route

the control board is a bit dicier since they can cost $250-$300 and youre looking at another $100 on top of that for a guy to come out. youre now looking at the choice of paying $400 to fix a tv that is obviously some years old and can probably be replaced for less than that if you wanted equivalent specs or not much more than that if youre looking to update to 4k or newer smart crap or w/e and in the end youre still not guaranteed it will fix it. it could be the cable from the board to the screen thats bad or it could be within the display assembly itself and now youve thrown $400 at an older tv that still needs to be replaced

my parents just went through all of this (b/c old people hate everything new) and ended up just having to buy a new tv anyway. the tl;dr is that you can fix a tv but you shouldnt bother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pagancow posted:

Comments disabled

google should put the comment server on an ad server so that if you adblock they just take your voice away state manded ads should be part of the price u pay for having our corporate overlords giving you the right to speech lol

lol i block comments and ads and this is the best idea ive ever heard

• Locked thread