Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i'm gonna pursue lu bu and there's nothing you can do to stop me

It doesn't have a lu bu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Folt The Bolt posted:

It doesn't have a lu bu

Obviously, the Lu Bu analogue is going to be Yu Narukami

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Portbegging Atlus is my favorite hobby but I would prefer it to be on PC so we can just get all their games in one place.

Geostomp posted:

It’s been nerfed hard, but the Jose mechanics more than make up for it. Just like how the Reaper no longer cares about flu season.

What are the Jose mechanics?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Folt The Bolt posted:

It still isn't a musou. I like how it looks and I'm getting it since it looks extremely my jam, but I'm not going into this with the kind of mindset that I go into musou games with.

Just to give some idea how the game plays, it's similar to regular P5 where shadows are wandering around in the dungeon and you ambush them and they turn into small mobs of enemies. Fairly often there will be set encounters with medium sized mobs of enemies. In these rooms there are usually objects in the environment that you can use to attack, like jump onto a hanging chandelier and make it fall on enemies. Occasionally there are larger set pieces where you fight large waves of enemies, like defending Futaba from a large mob of enemies while she hacks a console to open a door. The larger set pieces are the most Musou-like parts of the game.
There is a special meter that charges up and lets you do a big full screen attack but it charges up much slower than the ones in Musou games.
In general while your basic attacks are combos which work like musou games, you will be doing a fair amount of hitting enemy weaknesses with spells and doing all-out attacks from them like in a Persona game.
It's a pretty cool game, is anyone else here playing it?

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Ulio posted:

What are the Jose mechanics?

Collect stamps (limited, roughly one available per floor) and trade them to Jose for big increases in the money, experience or items you can farm in Mementos.

He also runs an item shop (for flowers, also collectible in Mementos but more plentiful) and can do some poo poo with the special new accessories you can find in palaces.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Magil of Shadow posted:

Obviously, the Lu Bu analogue is going to be Yu Narukami

... He's not even in the game.

Item Getter posted:

Just to give some idea how the game plays, it's similar to regular P5 where shadows are wandering around in the dungeon and you ambush them and they turn into small mobs of enemies. Fairly often there will be set encounters with medium sized mobs of enemies. In these rooms there are usually objects in the environment that you can use to attack, like jump onto a hanging chandelier and make it fall on enemies. Occasionally there are larger set pieces where you fight large waves of enemies, like defending Futaba from a large mob of enemies while she hacks a console to open a door. The larger set pieces are the most Musou-like parts of the game.
There is a special meter that charges up and lets you do a big full screen attack but it charges up much slower than the ones in Musou games.
In general while your basic attacks are combos which work like musou games, you will be doing a fair amount of hitting enemy weaknesses with spells and doing all-out attacks from them like in a Persona game.
It's a pretty cool game, is anyone else here playing it?

Getting it when it's localized.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yid-ghlgWr4

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Folt The Bolt posted:

... He's not even in the game.

That's how they make sure you won't pursue him.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Folt The Bolt posted:

It doesn't have a lu bu

wait but it's a musou? how do you have a musou game without lu bu!?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

wait but it's a musou? how do you have a musou game without lu bu!?

Do the crossover games usually have a Lu Bu? I don't remember who it might've been in Hyrule Warriors if there was one

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xad posted:

Do the crossover games usually have a Lu Bu? I don't remember who it might've been in Hyrule Warriors if there was one

ganondorf had several appearances in the story mode that basically amounted to him death-marching through your entire army as you tried to escape

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I mean, clearly the reaper is going to be Lu Bu. He will pursue you.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Xad posted:

I've only ever watched LPs of it but I think it's agreed that Volga (the dragon guy) is the Lu Bu.

e: or yeah, Ganondorf on the stages he appears in.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For Persona I am pretty sure the Reaper would work as a stand in.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Xad posted:

Volga and Ganondorf share the role of "Lu Bu" in Hyrule Warriors. Though, Volga is the closest since he has two battles where he powers up so much that you need to find a way to depower him. Ganondorf only really has the final battle, though he does have the first in-story battle where he appears as the opponent where he charges at Zelda near the end of the mission and kills her if you don't drop whatever you're doing to help her out.

Ganondorf is also the only one of the two to have his own theme, which does play on a stage, but also plays in Adventure Missions where he's the enemy commander and you go to fight him. Uusually.

In Fire Emblem Warriors, there's no Lu Bu per see as the game is more reliant on strategy than other Musous, though certain characters get his power up in certain story missions and you need to find a way around them or get absolutely chumped. Some History Map boss missions also do this where the enemy commander powers up so hard that you need to do a specific thing to make them into manageable fights.

One Piece Pirate Warriors also doesn't have a Lu Bu archetype, though there's a mission in one of the OPPW3 story missions early on that gives the same "avoid until stronger" vibe.

Persona 5 Scramble only really uses the Musou mechanics as each character's moveset and is thus not a Musou, but an Action RPG, as the Persona 5 elements are moreso the core than the Musou elements. Only certain points in the game has the large-scale Musou battle feel, and most of those are timed missions where you need to protect Futaba as she tries to hack through something to let you progress. Think moreso Kingdom Hearts than a Musou.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
This conversation made me curious: Is the unstoppable Lu Bu as much of a meme in Japan as he is in the English-speaking world? Like, if you asked anybody who plays video games about Dynasty Warriors, if they knew what it was, one of the few things they'd know would be "do not pursue Lu Bu."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nrook posted:

This conversation made me curious: Is the unstoppable Lu Bu as much of a meme in Japan as he is in the English-speaking world? Like, if you asked anybody who plays video games about Dynasty Warriors, if they knew what it was, one of the few things they'd know would be "do not pursue Lu Bu."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBBVPSsFCUc&t=71s

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I love how you can instantly tell who everyone is, right down to Liu Bei's massive ears.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So the Ultimate edition of P5R has all the DLC? If I will probably end up buying all that bullshit anyway is there any reason not to get it?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Ultimate edition comes with the steelbook instead of the regular case, if you care about that

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I meant digital I'm sorry I should have been clear. I don't care about physical goods.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arist posted:

The Ultimate edition comes with the steelbook instead of the regular case, if you care about that

Preordering any physical copy at all gets you a steelbook.

cheesetriangles posted:

So the Ultimate edition of P5R has all the DLC? If I will probably end up buying all that bullshit anyway is there any reason not to get it?

That's what it says, but honestly you can never be 100% sure with preorders.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
a fully retranslated script is maybe the one thing that would compel me to give royal a shot, if only to compare/contrast

akechi would be interesting because his artificial unctuousness was his main personality trait and that actually benefited from the robotic localization

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oxxidation posted:

a fully retranslated script is maybe the one thing that would compel me to give royal a shot, if only to compare/contrast

akechi would be interesting because his artificial unctuousness was his main personality trait and that actually benefited from the robotic localization

Lol, nope

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Actually, hold on a minute, I'm noticing some really, really minor dialogue changes, like the word "easier" being changed to "easy," but they didn't fix any of the actual awkward phrasing in that scene :psyduck:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arist posted:

Actually, hold on a minute, I'm noticing some really, really minor dialogue changes, like the word "easier" being changed to "easy," but they didn't fix any of the actual awkward phrasing in that scene :psyduck:

"you were doing things that you kept in secret from others" kee-rist i forgot how bad this could get

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Blooming Villain got a cool remix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaWNmRSdnnU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I like the original Blooming Villain better, though this version may be better suited to a fast paced action game where the bosses are sometimes small and fast moving instead of always big and imposing.
The remix of Last Surprise is really good though.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The original version is great, but I'll take a ludicrous arena metal version too. It's a mood.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

There are apparently tweaks that are bigger in some places

https://mobile.twitter.com/Shock_and_Roll/status/1237408679252635648

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

huh, might play this at some point after all. Probably not huge or anything but the new chapter+localization improvements+game being on the Switch would make me consider it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TwoPair posted:

that's the tweet that started this whole conversation. just changing a few of the especially egregious lines here and there isn't going to do it for me, but if that gets other people to bite then more power to them

but man, the localization of the entire first act especially was so bad

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Monkey Fracas posted:

huh, might play this at some point after all. Probably not huge or anything but the new chapter+localization improvements+game being on the Switch would make me consider it

This is not on Switch. Scramble is, Royal isn't. At least for now.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I am way more hyped for Scramble tbh.

I'm not buying Persona 5 again for full price, that's for sure, regardless of how much they added. I get that it's a good move for them, they can milk new game hype out of it twice, but I do not get why I can't at least transfer my save so I can NG+ the new stuff instead of slogging through literally everything again.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is not on Switch. Scramble is, Royal isn't. At least for now.

Yeah, ATLUS is doing this weird "ohhhh you want P5 on Switch huh? please tweet us about it a bunch and maaayyybe we'll consider it" thing

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

TwoPair posted:

It's good the game is getting retranslated since the original game was pretty bad, but in this particular instance I think the original is way better considering Ryuji's character. The new translation feels too flowery for him.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I am way more hyped for Scramble tbh.

I'm not buying Persona 5 again for full price, that's for sure, regardless of how much they added. I get that it's a good move for them, they can milk new game hype out of it twice, but I do not get why I can't at least transfer my save so I can NG+ the new stuff instead of slogging through literally everything again.

Yeah Scramble is an actual entirely new game and pretty good, been enjoying it.
I watched/read spoilers for all the new P5 Royal stuff, but if I was going into it blind I would definitely lose patience playing the whole 120 hour game again just to see one new dungeon.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Item Getter posted:

I watched/read spoilers for all the new P5 Royal stuff, but if I was going into it blind I would definitely lose patience playing the whole 120 hour game again just to see one new dungeon.
This is making me consider not getting it honestly. Golden had stuff remixed throughout, everything I'm hearing about Royal is that it doesn't kick in until you get to about where the regular game finishes.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Harlock posted:

This is making me consider not getting it honestly. Golden had stuff remixed throughout, everything I'm hearing about Royal is that it doesn't kick in until you get to about where the regular game finishes.

Royale changes how the bosses and their add-ons work quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Harlock posted:

From my understanding it changes all the bosses, there are some new hidden items to collect using a grappling hook to get to hidden places, there are some new mechanics involving Mementos and a new city area. There are also new social links and some new scenes involving the new characters.
It's not nothing I just mean that any new major story developments don't happen until the end of the original game.
Probably changed at least as much as Golden I don't know never bought a Persona re-release after P3 FES.
Speaking of which P3 FES sure was the laziest in terms of updates to the main game, I think it was literally only "there are some videos you can watch in the SEES control room" and "you can walk the dog now."
Also relegating the best level grinding area in the game to new game+ only.