Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Geostomp posted:

Alternatively, give Shido and his goons a way to manufacture Persona users or summon Shadows so we’d get some decent fights from them. It would also make Wakaba’s research more important and show why it’s dangerous in their hands. Shido would still be one note evil, but he’d at least raise the stakes more.

No, they already tried to do that plot point in 3. It did not work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

man, what the hell were they thinking with the last palace

Probably that they were already more than a year over deadline.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

PhantomPayne posted:

I dunno man, Cabbage man isn't a pretty boy, and i'm sure he was in the top spots of japans character polls :psyduck:

There's something very satisfying in a villian who doesn't have a tragic backstory, or some kind of greater good plan, or poo poo like that.

There are people out there who are monsters, who do evil simply because they enjoy doing so, no matter what most media would tell you, and when written well they make absolutely amazing antagonists.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
I mean, it's all a bit metaphorical sure, but really it's pretty basic Jungian psychology. The palaces represent a target's stalled individuation and through it's destruction they are forced to undergo self realization and rejoin the collective unconsciousness, causing them to reexamine their actions from the view of society rather from the personal.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Shinjobi posted:

A cup is a dumb final boss

The final boss is god and you shoot him in the face.

Nietzsche would approve. Probably so would Freud, though he would blame your mother.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/p_kouhou/status/1158664915059539979

Morgana won't bug you as much to go to sleep in Royal.

That's three for three where the first thing the remake did was "Hey, maybe we don't artificially and randomly restrict the player's time as much?"

Which is just kinda irritating at this point, they obviously know better so stop saving it for the remake.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arist posted:

If you buy a Playstation TV or a Vita (a Vita is legit cheaper to find for me searching, lol), you can get the best versions of both P3 and P4.

It would probably be irresponsible to tell someone that it's worth buying a Vita just to play Persona 4 Golden, but I will say that it's the only drat reason I got a Vita.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
If you are planning on playing any version of Persona 4 there's one thing you should know: Don't spoil the plot for yourself. One of the central plot points is an ongoing mystery you're trying to solve that's actually handled extremely well.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Cuntellectual posted:

...Is it? I remember Persona 3 as being the game where I went to bed for weeks on end because I'd maxed out all my social links, had my main persona at 99 stats from the arcade, and gotten to the top of Tartarus a good two or three months before I could actually finish the game.

The original version was. The remake made things much easier by switching several social links to night shift.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Pesmerga posted:

Be interesting to see how P5R does going up against FF7remake in the West. You think they might have wanted it out earlier, unless they consider themselves as having a different target audience.

So it'll come out around May probably. No JRPG maker with even a tenth of a brain is going to try to compete with Square Enix on that. At least a month's buffer zone seems like an obvious move.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 18, 2019

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Sockser posted:

Playing the game, enjoying the gamewhatever, no big deal, just gotta load up my last save which was uhhhh right before stealing Shido’s treasure, six hours ago. Cool.

Paranoia about exactly this is why I ended up rotating my saves through every single available slot at every oportunity to save so I end up with, like, an entire month of daily saves available at any given time.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
God damnit Igor is making us babysit his minions again.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
I've seen it mentioned that having a P5 NG+ save in your system will give some kind of bonus in P5R, but I don't know if that's official or just wishful thinking.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

TwoPair posted:

I like everybody roaming the streets and tearing up Tokyo with baseball bats but otherwise I would say the other intro is better.

Except Futaba, who has a squeaky hammer. 10/10

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Oxxidation posted:

by all appearances akechi's the one who's going to bail us out of the lotus-eater bullshit happening in the game's new act so i wouldn't hold my breath

The lotus eater thing is centered on Akechi's redemption and in the end you have to kill your "friend" to end it in a hugely emotional scene that will be both terrible and funny as hell.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

W.T. Fits posted:

It still boggles my mind that people here sympathize with the mass murderer because he's pretty an orphan, but have absolutely no qualms about repeatedly dunking on an abuse survivor who's been bullied his entire life because they think it's hilarious to perpetuate the cycle of abuse upon him.

I mean I get that he had a lovely childhood, but that does not excuse being a serial killer.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
God damnit I just realized her metaverse costume includes a black mask.

Maybe they actually are changing Akechi's story.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Supersonic Shine posted:

A trailer came out for Persona 5 Scramble, and it's a lot more expansive than I was expecting.

God damnit I already have too many games I'm looking forward to.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

chaosapiant posted:

I tried reading this three times and still can't parse what is being said.

Be glad for that my friend.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

ImpAtom posted:

I mean Sae is basically MIles Edgeworth.

That is a lot more accurate than I am comfortable with.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
So apparently they're aiming for an english release date in March. Which is ambitious I guess? Possibly suicidally so.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Here's all the announced editions:

Persona 5 Royal Phantom Thieves Edition – $89.99

Official Joker Mask (comes with a stand)
Collector’s Box
Art book
Soundtrack
Limited edition Steelbook case
Dynamic PS4 Theme code

Persona 5 Royal Launch Edition – $59.99

Limited edition Steelbook case
Dynamic PS4 Theme code

Persona 5 Royal Ultimate Edition – $99.99

Includes the game and all DLC bundles plus six additional costume packs

Persona 5 Royal Deluxe Edition – $69.99

Includes the game and the Persona 5 Royal Kasumi Costume Bundle

Persona 5 Royal DLC Bundles

Kasumi Costume Bundle – $14.99
Battle Bundle – $9.99
Persona Bundle – $9.99
DLC Bundle – $59.99

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arist posted:

The Ultimate edition comes with the steelbook instead of the regular case, if you care about that

Preordering any physical copy at all gets you a steelbook.

cheesetriangles posted:

So the Ultimate edition of P5R has all the DLC? If I will probably end up buying all that bullshit anyway is there any reason not to get it?

That's what it says, but honestly you can never be 100% sure with preorders.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arist posted:

If you're curious about how they changed the scene with the gay predators:

https://twitter.com/Shock_and_Roll/status/1239917795531460610?s=19

Like, they're not loving with the models so there's only so much they can do, but it's not terrible.

I mean... it is an improvement. I'll give them that. It's still not good, but for something coming out of Japan it's legitimately better than I would expect.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

thebardyspoon posted:

Is the DLC for the basic version of the game compatible with Royal? I think I got some of it so it'd be good if it worked in Royal as well.

They included it all in Royal as a free bonus. Which does kinda suck for those of us that bought the original's DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Item Getter posted:

Was there any DLC besides costumes and personas from other games?

Other than a free item pack or two, I don't think so.