Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
They probably didn't have any gay scenes to meet its 15+ rating in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I can browse fusions by result rather than randomly clicking my personas? I can choose which abilities get passed on? I can just give abilities to personas using items? :pusheen:

Also are there no sidequests in this game? Not that it's a great loss since they were all poo poo but it gave you a reason to talk to your classmates.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Maybe i haven't being paying attention, but do you not get random confidant points from scripted events like pop quizes any more? I was waiting for Ryuji to get some at some point so i didn't waste a day without levelling up but gave up and just ate the wasted day.

EDIT: Also how do i check the weather?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

NRVNQSR posted:

Ryuji isn't even in your class, and I don't think Ann cares how smart you are.

I think the weather is only shown on the loading screen? It doesn't really affect anything in this one because this is Tokyo.

Didn't you get points for random interactions in the story though? And lunch and stuff. I remember trying to balance it so that i leveled up social links when they were ready so i didn't waste the free points and waiting around for free points to push me over the level up threshold.

So far it affects studying and the bathhouse according to the tooltips.

Also, i like the ask the audience feature, it's just a shame it doesn't have it for social link responses because that's the one thing i use a guide for.

CJ fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 31, 2017

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
So how am i meant to capture these low level personas i missed if i now 1 shot them even when using a level 2 persona? Bit of a flaw in the new system.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Grouchio posted:

Oh balls I forgot to get SP drinks for my first palace infiltration (despite having gotten everything else necessary). How long will I last in the Dungeon before I need to retreat?

What difficulty are you on? I managed to do it in one day despite using most of my SP by the half way point. Just use physical attacks for weaker enemies and use the mana and bullets to trigger all out attacks for large groups. You get some SP when you level up which should just barely be enough to get through it if you play smart.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Grouchio posted:

Normal I think. Can I really do it?

I mean i did it on Normal so yeah. My friend did it on Hard but i'm not sure what he did to prepare beforehand.

Before going in i bought the upgraded melee weapon for Ryuji pretty arbitrarily and i got an upgraded weapon for Joker at some point which i think was scripted. Dia heals for 50 HP or so, and costs 3 sp so you can figure out from there how valuable letting an enemy hit you once rather than casting spells on it is, and how cost efficient physical attacks are. Get a physical attacker on Joker and only use bullets to down flying enemies and it's doable. I didn't even use my healing items because i'm one of those broke brains who hates using consumables.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Can someone explain how confidants work in this game? I don't want to google it because of spoilers.

In Persona 4 there was a hidden xp bar that would fill up and when it is full any xp is lost until you level up by hanging out with them. Is it the same in this game? What i'm saying is, is there any point in buying gifts when taking girls to locations for the 6 notes if it pushes them to the next level without doing all that? Does the xp accumulate to fill in gaps further on?

I just started July and i like the quality of life changes. It sucks that it still heavily incentivises you to do it in one day but the safe rooms and having actual level design makes it a lot less fatiguing. Also being able to restart boss fights without having to go through all the cutscenes is great. I play turn based games in the most stubborn way possible and like trying to edge out a victory with what i brought to the fight rather than going back and getting the perfect team setup once i learn the fight. Also i love that out of party members get XP. I like swapping out party members every so often rather than have half the group be footnotes so that's nice thing to have.

The combat system feels like it has a lot more options too. I have three problems with it though. Ryuji's headbutt seems ridiculously OP in that it's a free status effect with no downside. Makes him feel almost mandatory on trash fights up to this point. I dislike that baton pass is a level 2 confidant ability. It's such a strong mechanic, but you can't use it for party members if you want to use them in their story related dungeon. Finally, having the SP regen mechanic on charms is really stupid. It makes them mandatory, effectively removing the charm item slot, which was the only one that had an element of choice to itemisation.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Urgh, i've had access to her for 2 weeks but haven't got round to doing all the dumb tasks needed to start her slink while leveling up my party and paying my teacher to be my maid.

EDIT: I really don't understand demon negotiation. The responses seem to just be random and don't match the personalities at all. How am i meant to know whether an irritable persona wants to go to a french restaurant or a pancake house on a date?

CJ fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 4, 2017

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ZZT the Fifth posted:

It's more about the tone of the responses than the specific answers, if you can reason it out from that. Here's the matching 'tone' of the responses you should use for each personality.

Irritable - Rude, hostile, or threatening
Timid - Gentle, kind, reassuring
Gloomy - Vague, unsure, noncommittal
Upbeat - Silly, playful, or energetic

Following this should help you a bit.

I get that but here's one i'm looking at now.

"Why you come all the way here?"

I'm here for the food.
I'm here for the women.
I'm here to find myself.

To me none of those match the irritable traits. It was ok in the first dungeon when you just had to do ok but these Shiki-Oujis require you to give 2 perfect responses which just seems like bullshit when it gives questions like that. It makes me thing it's lost in translation, is it more obvious in Japanese when you have different pronouns and poo poo?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

screaden posted:

So Persona 5 has gone to my top 5 games, and I'm considering playing some of the other Persona/SMT games, but how hard is it to go back to those with what I'm assuming are some good quality of life changes introduced in 5? Or is it not that bad?

I've got a 3DS and I'm considering getting a vita to play P4

Persona 4 has really good writing and the combat system is mostly the same (it doesn't have baton passes). The issues with it are just from being a PS2 game it is missing a lot of quality of life stuff. For instance the dungeons are 8 floors of random tiles, and there are no save points. If you want to save you have to use a consumable to teleport back to the entrance and save (although you can choose to re enter at the floor you reached). There's also no restart from boss encounter so every time you die you have to reload your save and go through the boss intro cutscene or start the dungeon again if you died on floor 7 and never teleported out to save. The social aspects was basically the same but a lot less fleshed out than Persona 5. Social links with non-party members didn't have rewards tied to them other than the xp boost for fusing demons and since it took place in a lovely town your choice of activities outside of slinks was basically study, work your lovely job or fish out the lovely flood plain.

The Vita version has added social events with your party and fixes some of the QoL problems (in the PS2 version the abilities your fusions inherited were random so you had to keep backing in and out of the menu to reroll them), so probably get that if you aren't going to just emulate it. It's worth playing just for the visual novel aspect though, the characters are all great and the little events of them hanging out are charming despite how technically dated they are.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I finished the fourth dungeon so i'm going to take a guess at where the story is going so you can laugh at how wrong i am.

Futaba's mother discovered the metaverse then was killed by some conspirators who work in the government and used her research to gain power. The protagonist got his persona from interacting with the bald guy who is the leader or at least high up in it. Akechi is obviously a villain because his social link is story gated. At first i thought the big bad was going to be a shadow that took on the form of the Sheriff of Nottingham or Javert or something, but now that one of the locations is a church i think it's some christianity stuff. The dungeons seem to line up with the seven deadly sins which supports this. I have no idea who on my team sells me out. Makoto seems to be an obvious red herring, and i haven't met the final girl yet. Unless Akechi joins the party near the end, in which case it seems like a huge cop out seeing how blatant it is that he's a villain. Whoever it is, Sae is going to join forces with me to take them out because she's a woman. Oh yeah and i'm waiting for the Robin Hood persona to show up. There's no way he'd be left out of the heroic outlaw squad.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I remember when this game out there were people complaining about how in a game about oppressed young people there wasn't a gay character. Turns out the reason is that the gays are actually predators who try to molest young boys. Loving all these gay panic scenes.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Is it based on the most recent exam you took? I didn't max knowledge until early Spetember so i only placed top 10 in the second exam. Makes me think i should hold off on Sojiro until after the next exam period. How much does the fortune teller give? I've been dropping 10k on her each day trying to get her over the hump before Ohya's rank 4 and it's taking a while.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I got the chainsaw event last night after spending half an hour doing a series of fusions to get a Hecatoncheires for the twins. It ended up giving me a lovely Mothman which was 10 levels lower than me. Isn't it game design 101 to make the random procs like this a benefit so you don't get pissed off when it happens?

Ohya's confidant ability is complete trash. Has anyone ever got to the point where it makes a difference? I think i got to 30% once when i hosed up an ambush then immediately got ambushed after the battle. The whole alertness seems like a pretty useless feature in the first place. I assume they added it to stop the strategy of rushing to the end boss but there's no need to in this game because there's save points all over the dungeons. I do like that she says "Oh ya" when you talk to her though. Not sure if that's a translation easter egg or if it was in japanese too.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

pack it in already posted:

An affinity reading gives 5 points baseline and is affected by Persona matching so you can get 7 points out of it.

how much does a normal non-levelling up hangout give? I've been pumping fortune readings into Ohya for over a month now and it's still not at the point where i can level her up when i talk to her.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

lovely poker hand posted:

Make sure to keep telling us your thoughts as the game progresses! I'd like to see you come back to this post after you've beaten the game and comment on what you did or didn't guess.

Well i'm coming up to the culture festival now so here's what i think.

The Futaba mom stuff was confirmed almost immediately after the last point i stopped. The fifth calling card mentioned greed and the fourth sloth, confirming the 7 deadly sins thing. Working from that it makes Kamoshida lust, the mafia guy i guess i gluttony in that he consumes wealth rather than hordes it like Haru's dad. I guess Madarame is envy out of what is left, in that he envied the talents of his students? In the interrogation scene it said that their next target was Sae, so i'm guessing she gets a bit zealous in coming after the Phantom Thieves which makes her wrath, and the bald guy is pride. I'm in two minds over this though. Quoting wikipedia "As pride has been labelled the father of all sins, it has been deemed the devil's most prominent trait." which would make me think the Devil is the god behind it all. However, since the Phantom thieves' whole shtick is rebelling against unjust authority it makes me think Arsene's final form will be Lucifer given how he has wings, horns and uses curse magic. That leads to the antagonist being the Archangels. The guy who shot Haru's father was blatantly Akechi. At this point i'm beginning to have doubts and wondering if they made it so obvious just to have a bait and switch and have it end up being Mishima, that guy seems to have issues. As for the traitor i thought for a moment that Haru would get the wrong idea after overhearing about the principle's death but she seems to be going along with it. It might be someone slipping up when getting interviewed, or if Sea is the next dungeon it would give an excuse for Akechi to join and immediately turn heel as he has a personal connection to her.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Irritated Goat posted:

It's not so much trouble but having something where I can say "Ok, spend time with Ryuji on 4/19, Ann on 4/20, Bath on 4/21 for Charm (if not maxed out)". It's more organization\time management than anything. I could use a full confidant list but then there's fishing\finishing the stats like Guts\the video games trophies I could miss.

Your social stats carry over to new game plus so you will have ample free time. One thing to take note of is that you can't take books out the library after the 6th dungeon so you should all but one of them before that date. Other than that you can probably just do whatever. Unless you are wasting every day at the maid cafe it's pretty hard to gently caress up.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

chaosapiant posted:

I put 20 hours into this game back in May and am only now picking it back up. I absolutely adore it but it is SO drat dense with content I can never figure out exactly what all I can do and then what I should do. I spend so much time traipsing all over Tokyo just to see my options, and then have to traipse back to the thing I said "ok I'll do this" to. And THEN I'm getting more and more freedom and places to go. Jesus Christ how does anyone complete this game? In P3 and P4 I usually prioritized my dudes personality stuff and then focus on s links. That way when I'm on NG+ I can just have a blast ignoring all the other poo poo and hang with my bros and get more pet demons. So what the secret? How long do you goons spend on a given day just trying to figure out what to do? Is this just me?

It's much easier to max out the social links in this game compared to previous ones. I got them all to 10 with 2 weeks left without following a guide. There are three confidants that help a lot. Death allows you to buy SP regen charms at 7 allowing you to easily do palaces in 1 day. Temperance unlocks extra time slots on some school days and allows you to do stuff after going into a dungeon when maxed. Fortune allows you to pay 5k to give you 50% more social stats for activites you do that day and 10k to give credit towards levelling up social links so you can skip hanging out with people who aren't ready to level up. The only other thing is to get the free action skill points, kindness from feeding your plant every 2 weeks and juice from the subway every sunday. Other than that just try to do the actions that give a lot of notes like studying at the diner on a rainy day or bathhouse on mon/thurs.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Whose dumb idea was limiting electrocution to once per day? Now i can't use all these black items and i've been trying to get arms master onto Yoshitsune through gallows for the last hour.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

lovely poker hand posted:

Make sure to keep telling us your thoughts as the game progresses! I'd like to see you come back to this post after you've beaten the game and comment on what you did or didn't guess.

Ok, i finished last night.

I guess i was kind of right in that the archangels show up and Arsene turns in to a fallen angel? My family has never been religious so i don't know enough about mythology to know who the big dude at the end or Satanael is. I googled it and some said it's another name for Satan and some said it's a different guy so i dunno. I liked the take of it being willed in to existence by people wanting to give up the burden of making decisions for themselves though, that was cool.

For the Igor stuff, that was the first thing i thought back when i first heard his voice months ago, but finding out that his VA died was a good cover, and i completely forgot about it other than the point in Strength where they are wondering about the list. Unfortunately i got spoiled on him being fake at like the 22nd of December because i had finished all the social links and got all the achievements like reading the books and catching the fish and thought i might as well try and get all achievements. When i was looking in to whether that was possible because of the treasure demons i saw a comment about how awesome it was when he turned out to be an imposter and his original VA came back which was a bit of a bummer.

One thing i hated about the ending was the whole crowd cheering them on thing. I don't understand how phantom thieves needing the approval of people fits in. I thought they got over the whole seeking fame and approval thing after Okumura. It was weird that they went back to that at the end. The whole thing reminded me of that lovely episode of Doctor Who where he turns into Dobby the house elf and his companion visits everyone on the planet to tell them to cheer for him at the same time so he can turn back. It ruined the mood for the whole ending for me.

As for the traitor thing, i think it was a huge cop out. Having the game open with learning there's a traitor is a great hook, but Akechi was so obviously evil that it ruined it. Why make his arcana story gated like that? They didn't have a problem with locking you out of Nanako and Dojima's slinks early so i don't know why they had to make it obvious he was a bad guy from minute 1. It didn't help that he was excluded from all the promotional material about your party either. He wasn't even in the OP. I think the problem was corporate interests getting in the way, they probably didn't want people to get attached to a party member who turns bad. That's probably why they had constant fakeouts with characters dying but nope they are fine. Even the cat comes back after ascending to heaven or whatever. He has to stick around for the dancing games. The Ocean's 11 style twist around your capture was really badly executed as well. It could have been really cool if it was hidden and you could go back and see what you missed, but they just had all the scenes blurred out and muted which was just a lazy way to keep the player in the dark. The stuff with Akechi in Shido's palace was cool despite how dumb it all was. Him doing it all because he was his secret son was incredibly stupid but it was more interesting than not having that stuff given how predictable his character was up to that point. I don't know why my party was ready to forgive him though, he was a terrorist who murdered people for personal and political gain. I also hate cutscenes where characters die in ways that are easily preventable. Like dude i could have AoEd those 3 shadows down and cast Samarecarm on you no problem, not need for the sacrifice stuff.

One other thing, i think there were a few problems with the social link writing. A lot of them seemed to be a completely wasted opportunity. Like why is Makoto's devoted to her dumbass 'friend' rather than her learning to have a life for herself? Or Ann's devoted to just the random garbage she was doing that day and having no theme at all? Out of the party members i think Yusuke had the only one i liked, maybe the end of Haru's. Thinking about it maybe i just liked the aspect that they both found an adult who wasn't a complete piece of poo poo. The non-party member slinks were much better than P4 though, i especially like no-good Tora.

Overall, this game was 100x better than Persona 4, but i didn't come out of it depressed that it was over like i did with P4. I think this is because i didn't connect with the characters like i did in P4. They were likeable enough but apart from maybe Makoto i didn't come to see them as my virtual friends like i did with the whole P4 gang. I think another problem was that because i'm not Japanese i couldn't really relate to all the social commentary about their garbage society. A lot of it i was just reeling from the absurdity of stuff like it being near impossible to appeal a conviction and treating a rape preventor as a pariah. I think that's why i liked the first half more, the old loving over the young stuff was relatable given that it's extremely relevant in the UK at the moment. Despite all the problems i had with it, it's still my favourite single player game and i'm glad i spent 160 hours playing it.

CJ fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 17, 2017

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I liked the idea of the Akechi thing being the heist movie trope of "here's what really happened" but it doesn't work when the audience is meant to embody the heist leader and you have to literally mute scenes to keep the audience in the dark.

For the slinks, my view is that the party members social links should expand on the change in character that happens when their persona awakens. The persona awakens at the decisive moment that they choose to make a change, but putting it in to practice takes more effort than making that first decision.

Yusuke has the best social link out of the party in my opinion. His dungeon has his view of his mentor shattered, and with it his values and view of the world. His social link is about him rediscovering his values after being disillusioned and it does a good job of showing the hardships he goes through during this process. He comes out a more rounded person who has grown and finds a new mentor, which is pretty much the gold standard for what an slink should be. Just a shame his painting sucks.

Makoto is the best party member with the most well rounded and believable character. Despite that her slink drops the ball. Her character is about considering her own feelings and opinions about her life rather than doing what is expected of her. Her persona awakening is her reaching breaking point and becoming a rebel. From there the social link practically writes itself. It should be about rebelling against her structured life and going off the rails a bit, and eventually learning to have a healthy balance between her responsibilities and her social life. I thought that's where they were going when they introduced the idiot girl, that she was going to fall in with the wrong crowd. Instead it was about her trying to convince a fellow student to stop being an idiot. She didn't grow as a character at all except for playing an arcade game.

Ann's character is about her being viewed as a sexual object by others, and her awakening is the moment she decides not to be victimised and tells Kamoshida to gently caress off. Her social link should be about her coming to terms with her sexuality. There's a lot of stuff they could work with, dealing with people dismissing her because of her looks, possibly becoming hypersensitive about being objectified and taking it too far in innocuous circumstances, plus there's the whole angle of her being foreign and the way japanese people other her or maybe fetishise her. I don't think the slink stuff about her doing random stuff fit in to the theme of her character. That idea isn't out of place in the game, but it probably would have fit Ryuji or Haru better.

Ryuji has a huge chip on his shoulder when it come to authority. Quite rightfully, seeing how he was abused by a teacher and he doesn't have a father figure. I think that lead to him having a very childish world view. It was pretty cringey every time he started yelling about how much he hates adults. His social link was about a bunch of dumb drama with the track team that didn't really go anywhere. He decides he doesn't care about running any more because he's a phantom thief. The obvious problem with this is what happens if being a full time phantom thief doesn't work out, which ends up happening at the end of the game. His arc should have been about taking his future seriously and learning to deal with the chip on his shoulder. I would have liked to have seen him meet a good rolemodel/father figure so he could outgrow his childish 'gently caress all adults' view. That didn't happen and he spends the whole game whining about adults. At least he learns that being a phantom thief isn't about personal gain in the story. Also, i hated the forced drama between him and Morgana before the Okumura dungeon. I didn't see the point in that.

Futaba's character was about running away from your problems. I think the stuff leading up to and surrounding her dungeon was really well done, and the idea of helping her reintegrate into society in her social link is correct. The problem i have is after her dungeon arc finishes she becomes a cartoon character. When she's a NEET she's written really well but they completely fail to depict someone with social anxiety after that.

Haru is another character who was treated as an object whose awakening was about standing up for herself and considering her own feelings. This time it was about individuality over family responsibility. I think Japan has some weird family dynasty thing among upper class people. Like i've heard company presidents adopt people who work for them who they want to be their successor? I think her social link was ok, it continued her arc about discovering herself and deciding what she wanted to do with her life after rejecting her father selling her off. It had a nice ending with her finding an ally in that executive guy. I think the only problem was her arc was underdeveloped. From what i understand she was a relatively late edition to the game, so it's understandable but a bit disappointing. I wish we got more stuff involving her father leading up to the dungeon rather than spending the time on the Morgana subplot.

Morgana was an adequate companion character. I liked him well enough. Not much to say about his social link since there wasn't really one. He sure kept having those nightmares about mementos i guess. The subplot about him getting mad and leaving in September was really forced though. I don't know why he had an identity crisis over his value in the team when Ryuji, Ann and Yusuke were members and they all did far less than him.

The non-party social links were generally better than P4. I really liked no-good Tora because despite getting hosed by the system he stood by his beliefs, and was rather refreshing with his 'children are the future' message compared to just about everyone else in the game. Sojiro was another great link, i think he had the strongest character development in the game. Really glad i wasn't spoiled on Futaba being related to him. Mishima's had character development, but he was a pretty hatable character and i didn't like hanging around with him. The one i think they dropped the ball on was the doctor. It would have been great to have had some social commentary on not judging people by their looks and forcing people into a box based on their career, instead we got a boring plotline about how she wants to do a science to save a child.

One other thing, i wish you didn't get points for enabling the character flaws of slinks. It's not as bad as in the past but it really bothered me when i got 3 notes for praising Mishima or the Tower kid's lovely behavior.

CJ fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 17, 2017

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Oxxidation posted:

Also you can't really say that Ryuji is "whining" about adults when every adult in his life, except probably his mother, was an abusive or enabling shitlord before he met the protagonist.

Ryuji's nitroglycerine temper was a genuine character flaw but his angst against society was legitimate.

It is understandable given his life experience but it is still a character flaw that should have been addressed in some way. I mean they couldn't because he is the most central character in the story after Makoto so it would have lead to a lot of dissonance if they gave him any character growth in his slink, that's just a fundamental flaw with the current system though.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Oxxidation posted:

How is resentment of abusers a character flaw

Because he isn't dealing with it well and it is having a negative effect on his life.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Fix posted:

I'm only just now starting to play this game and coming towards the end of the first palace, but I wanted to ask: is there pretty much always a constant time pressure you're dealing with?

It depends what you mean by time pressure. There is always a countdown but it's basically just telling you when the next cutscene is. Once you get the doctor to level 7 you can buy accessories that regen your SP so you can do the dungeons in 1 day. The only thing that is really time locked is how far you get on your confidants by the end of the game. If you've not played a Persona game before you're not going to max them all so prioritise a few that you care about (probably party members). I posted some tips on how to get the most out of your social time earlier in the thread, but keep in mind that if you have a persona in your stock that matches the arcana of the confidant you get a multiplier to any points you get from hanging out or talking with the confidant.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I wish i'd known that so i could give her low luck gear to stop those unskippable scans at the beginning of fights.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Wyvernil posted:

Finally been playing through this game, and I've just reached August. I've now unlocked the electric chair fusion. Are any of the items worth fusing at the moment, or should I be saving the kogatanas for endgame?

The one item that stands out right now is a +5 STR katana for Yusuke - that seems like a sizable boost.

Any skill cards that would be worth stocking up on, as well?

For some dumb reason you can only do one electric chairs per day, and all the end game weapons are from personas in the 70-80 range which you won't reach unless you use an xp exploit to power level up to there, i guess they are intended for new game plus. So don't be like me and save them all game only to find you can't use all but one of them.

Joker's best melee weapon is a pretty huge spoiler so rather than googling it here's the table for what weapons you can get with Joker's omitted.

PERSONA ITEM CHARACTER ATT/DEF ACC/EVA EFFECT

Melee
Yoshitsune Usumidori Yusuke 292 88 + Fear (High)
Cybele Sabazios Makoto 280 90 + Crit Rate (High)
Asura Vajra Makoto 272 90 + Random Ailment (High)
Beelzebub Fleurs Du Mal Haru 308 86 Ma+5/ +Dizzy (High)
Mother Harlot Claíomh Solais Morgana 280 90 +50 SP
Hanuman Ruyi Jingu Bang Ryuji 256 88 + Auto-Tarukaja
Black Frost Naraka Whip Ann 252 90 + Freeze (High)
Arsene Arsene’s Cane Joker 130 92 + Random Ailment (Low)
Queen Mab Masquerade Ribbon Ann 172 88 + Dizzy (Low)
Thor Mjolnir Ryuji 254 88 + Elec Damage
Ame no Uzume Senryou Yakusha Yusuke 160 90 + 5 STR
Pisaca Headhunter Ladle Morgana 128 90 Crit Rate Up (Low)
Mithra Death Contract Haru 140 86 + Despair (Low)
Bugs Bear Gloves Makoto 200 90 + Crit Rate Up (Med)
Skadi Snow Queen’s Whip Ann 210 90 + Auto-Sukukaja

Ranged
Odin Wild Hunt Ann 386 84 + Despair (Med) 6
Shiva Megido Fire Ryuji 380 98 + Critical Rate Up (Low) 3
Kohryu Sudarshana Morgana 308 98 + Random Ailment (Low) 5
Michael Judge of the Dead Makoto 380 92 All stats +10 6
Lucifer Tyrant Gun Joker 390 98 Ma +10 8
Metatron Nataraja Joker 360 94 All stats +5 8
Uriel Heaven’s Gate Yusuke 378 88 Ag +10 12
Baal Yagurush Haru 330 80 + Shock (Med) 1
Succubus Brainshot Ann 140 84 + Brainwash (Med) 12
Nekomata Pawzooka Haru 140 89 + Confuse (Med) 1
Jack-o’-Lantern Pumpkin Bomb Ryuji 160 82 + Burn (Med) 4
Neko Shogun Catnap Morgana 168 90 + Sleep (Med) 5
Yurlungur Mirrirmina Makoto 92 6 Ma+5 6
Vasuki Kuzuryu Gouhou Yusuke 300 88 + Random Ailment (Low) 9

Armor
King Frost King Frost Cape (All) 140 16 Reduce Ice dmg (high)
Satan Tantric Armor (Males Only) 272 18 Reduce Magic Dmg (High)
Silky Silk Dress (Females Only) 60 10 Evade Magic (Low)
Hell Biker Black Jacket (Males Only) 120 12 Nulls Mudo
Jack Frost Frost Hood (Morgana) 130 20 +20 SP
Yata Garasu Black Wing Robe (Akira) 220 20 Reduce Nuke Dmg (Med)
Arahabaki Tapsuan (Females Only) 160 12 + Evade Wind (High)
Okuninushi Official’s Robe (Males Only) 178 18 + Evade Curse (High)
Sraosha Archangel Bra (Females Only) 200 18 + Reduce Elec Dmg (High)

Accessories
Queen’s Necklace Queen’s Necklace All stats +1/ +30 SP
Flauros Shackles + Null Rage
Narcissus Daffodils + Nulls Despair
Stone of Scone Stone of Scone En+3/ Reduce Physical Damage (low)
Kali Khamrai Tao + Reduce Fire Damage (High)
Take-Minakata Thunder Band + Null Shock
Orlov Orlov Ma +3/ Repel Phys (High)
Emperor’s Amulet Emperor’s Amulet En+5/ Auto-Tarukaja
Legion Legion’s Jail Null Fear
Crystal Skull Crystal Skull All stats +5/ + Magic Evasion (High)
Mithras Petra Genetrix + Null Burn
Ananta Hua Khon Prevents insta-kill from Bless
Hope Diamond Hope Diamond +3 all stats/Regen 3
Orpheus Hades’ Harp Ag +3/ + Null Brainwash
Regent Regent Str+3 / +Critical Rate up (med)

CJ fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 8, 2017

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Max Wilco posted:

I started the sixth palace tonight (the casino). Someone said that the end of this palace is where you need to make a decision which will determine which ending you get. Is that correct, or is that a later dungeon? (I figured the casino wouldn't be until the end).

You will be asked a question that determines the ending. If you misinterpret the question and give the bad answer, like i did, it will ask you if you are really really sure you want to pick this answer. It's nothing like P4 where you have to answer 5 dialogue choices correctly.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Ulio posted:

Well it definitely is close to impossible on hard in my opinion in 1 run. I am in the final tower but have very low sp on veryone except Ryuji.

The first dungeon is the hardest to 1 day because of your lack of options. The second dungeon has a mandatory break and from the third onward you should be able to afford SP regen trinkets from the doctor so they are trivial to 1 day.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's a spoiler thread but it hasn't been used in ages; you can probably just spoiler tag some of your stuff and it'll be fine.

Persona 4 is still a good playthrough; the beginning is really slow compared to P5, but everything is still solidly competent. I just wouldn't play it unless it's Golden.

What's wrong with the original? It has the good Chie voice.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Pablo Gigante posted:

I never played the original but being able to choose which skills pass on through fusion is a big improvement

Yeah there's some improvements like that and adding more bonuses to the S.links for party members, but nothing that makes the PS2 version unplayable.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I saw someone streaming P5 on twitch and just realised that in the restaurant scene all the people you overhear while getting food are the people you meet in Shido's palace.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Bikindok posted:

I'm not super worried about trying to 100% in one go, that seems less fun.

I didn't know about the blackboard thing, thanks!

You can get all the confidants maxed by making liberal use of the Fortune and Temperance confidants and doing the dungeons in 1 day is easy after death. I had 2 weeks spare at the end and managed to do all the other dumb achievements like read all the books.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
A really dumb oversight is that if you don't get Ryuji to rank 8 before you finish Sae's palace then you are locked out from getting him to rank 10. That shouldn't be a thing for a main party member.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

BlackFrost posted:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you here, but he's the first SLink you get in the game. There really isn't any reason it should take you that long to get him that high in the first place. He doesn't even have any stat requirements, you can just plow right through. I think I maxed him out in, like, early June.

That's why i said it was an oversight. The context was me watching someone who deliberately didn't get him to 7 until late because of the battle skipping only to find out that rank 8 is locked so he couldn't finish it.

By the way, i was thinking how there isn't a gunslinger party member. It's kind of surprising given how much that archetype is romanticised as a noble outlaw.

quote:

I would say the P3 DLC is possibly worth it if you're on a second playthrough like me. Otherwise, the rest of the packs either have a cool song but awful outfits or cool outfits but an awful song, or are some broken-rear end Persona. I did spend one dollar on a Makoto PSN theme though.

This is wrong. The dancing pack gives you a clown suit for Yusuke and Reach Out to the Truth as the music.

CJ fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 25, 2018

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Makoto has defense up and healing, and nuclear does technical damage which makes up for her lacklustre damage output. She was in my party 99% of the time once i got her.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Can anyone translate this page? Is the top right a Caroline/Justine concept?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

both

And Kanji's portrayal is, appropriately, very complex. I'll spoiler tag this just in case but they're really light spoilers and not related to the main story at all, but I'm gonna talk about Kanji a lot:

Kanji appears to be gay from what you'd see on the Midnight Channel, but further development turns out that it's less about being into guys and more about feeling more comfortable around them than women, who he finds judgmental and genuinely mean. This sort of conflicts with the fact that he's definitely attracted to the """""boy""""" he's talking to when you're following him around town, so for a large portion of the game his sexuality is meant to be interpreted by the player as gay. This changes when he finds out eventually that the aforementioned boy isn't a boy and so turns out he's straight, and from that point on it's openly acknowledged by the party that Kanji has a crush on Naoto and is not gay. I'm not really up on social politics or whatever, but I think that's a fine portrayal, but maybe blogs would refer to that as "problematic" or something, I'm not sure. The real complexity comes in the form of Yosuke, who CONSTANTLY shits on Kanji for being gay in a "ew we can't share the same tent on a school trip because ur gay" kind of way and is one of the main reasons people tend to hate Yosuke. However, as someone who works with teens, I think this is a pretty accurate portrayal of a high school guy - but the interesting thing is that the end result of that portrayal is people thinking Yosuke is an rear end in a top hat and being a lot more empathetic toward Kanji and the struggles he's going through, and it makes his whole "wanting to be accepted for who he is" plight a lot more apparent and relevant to the player when even your teammates aren't totally ready to accept him. I don't know if that was the dev's intentions when deciding the characters, but that's definitely the result I've noticed from people I've talked to who played the game.

It might also be that Yosuke was meant to be projecting, as there are sound files in the game for a romance option with him.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I just did the part in Persona 3 where a trans woman tries to have her way with Junpei but is foiled by forgetting to shave part of her beard. Another L for the degenerates in their attempts to prey on upstanding japanese teenage boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I like the bit in Persona where the girls put on bathing suits then my character and the other boys make them feel uncomfortable. It makes me feel powerful.