Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WMain00 posted:

This game is giving me serious post traumatic flashbacks to being back in high school.

The puberty. The angst. gently caress. gently caress!!

*rocks back and forth*

Do Japanese kids with a record really get branded the way the protag does in P5? I know that students are constantly walking a tightrope in that country where their education is concerned but holy poo poo the amount of hostility you encounter in the prologue is nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

No, but Kamoshida isnt normal, hes an olympic medalist whos presence is single handedly making the school more prestegious.

For some reason I thought he was a swim coach and figured he was only a medalist because his jaw parts the water before him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Oh I'm sure that they will, and I'm sure they will be good stories, it's just that at this point in time in the story we have the Ryuji, who is bitter and angry at the world because the famous dude provoked him, broke his leg, and got away with it while everyone blames him, or Ann, who was being blackmailed into sex.

I'm just disappointed is all. I expected better out of them.

Have you still not clued into what an idiot you're making yourself look like, here

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

do you even know what 'token' means or do you just know that it's one of the five words of power that will summon wokexodia, the argument winner

Wokexodia...PONTIFICATE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Starting to understand what people mean when they say the UI is a little too big. Nothing important's cut off but there are a lot of textbox corners etc traveling off the edge of the screen. Wonder if it was like this in the JP release.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

postmodifier posted:

I had this problem as well until I went and dug out my television's original remote control. I've been using a universal for the longest time, which didn't have an equivalent for my TV's aspect ratio function. This setting is also not available through the traditional menu settings, so until I was able to get the old remote out and force the TV into displaying native resolution, it was stupidly overscanned. Unfortunately I played like 30 hours zoomed in and now it feels too small even though everything appears perfectly within the frame.

My point is, the game is perfectly capable of displaying correctly regardless of software or lack of PS4 safe area enforcement, mess with your settings.

My TV's aspect ratio is set to Full and it's the most sensible option there so I don't think that's my problem, at least.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Is Japan seriously so hardass that being late to school is on par with having a criminal record, or is the game just playing up the fascist themes?

It's more like being tardy when you're already on probation for assault and battery is probably not a good idea in general.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Ryuji's voice acting when he first encounters Morgana's normal cat form is loving superb, he sounds like he's about to run gibbering down the streets.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks to those who answered questions about Japanese politics earlier.

So what does it mean to be "on duty" in high school

If I'm thinking of the right thing it's basically a student chosen to be the class representative on a rotating basis. They call out when to stand and greet the teacher and that sort of thing.

e: ^^^ or that

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also holy cannoli these kids have some serious potty mouths. Even Ann spits out language that would turn anyone in the last two games' hair white.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Fuckin' Phantom Hipsters with your homemade artisanal espresso lattes. Just buy your coffee from a vending machine like normal people.

They tried but accidentally bought a can of underpants.

Then they tried again but accidentally bought a can of smooth and refreshing placenta.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Man this game is so much better than Tokyo mirage sessions it's not even close

TMS was pitched as a budget Persona from the beginning, with extra musical numbers, so that's no surprise.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I gave mine the surname Kuzunoha because a) I liked the irony and b) there's never enough god damned space for me to write the name out fully.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Yea some of the biggest laughs have come from responses you can choose from.

"Meow."

Ryuji sounded like he was going to have a conniption when I picked that reply.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Meiteron posted:

So I had heard nothing about Mementos, except that every time it comes up in this thread someone inevitably makes a comment about how bad the music is there.

And as soon as I saw I was unlocking it I got a bit worried but thought, pff, how bad could it be it's just goons exaggerating again.

Good god no

Hahaha it sounds like a track from OFF stole a lounge singer's face and carelessly slapped it over its own

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

The whole point is that he's getting hosed over because the dude he tried to stop was chief of police or someone important anyway (I haven't got that far in the story), that's not like a normal thing.

Politician, judging by his comments in the opening scene.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

tithin posted:

That reminds me, what the gently caress happened to Igor's voice, and why does he sound like he's about to drop a loving album.

Japanese VA died, got replaced with a deeper one, English VA was also changed to match for reasons dark and strange.

e: endorph has made a powerful enemy this night

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Persona 4 giving you a game-over upon MC death might be because the MC's being used as a gamepiece by a goddess who is just itching for any excuse to end the world. "Oh dear he fell unconscious for a few minutes, FOG FOR EVERYONE FOREVER."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I really wish I'd never played Xenoblade X, because now every time I used Third Eye I immediately think "I CAN'T SEE YOU, I CAN'T FEEL YOU"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Finally got to name my troupe. Team "Sin Eaters" is a go.

Game's great and the translation really did shake off its stiffness but I get the feeling these vast gulfs of PLOOOOOT are really going to chew up time I need to actually do stuff.

e: I'm also loving how proactive the group is compared to P3 and P4. There, you were waiting for someone to get in trouble so you can save them. But the Thieves are literally sitting around a table and going "okay, who do we gently caress up next?"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Uh hang on I got this uhhh I think he was Fortune and he was... A musician, maybe? I vaguely recall flutes being involved?

Everything he looked at suffered horrible accidents or cardiac arrest. It's like the dude pissed off a sorceress or something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I mean you can do stuff on your own by mid-April but your range of links is really limited (even more so because Ann is gated by Kindness rank) and you keep paddling into these vast gulfs of plot every other week. It really is out of whack.

Not like the other two games were much better about it, though. I don't remember if it was P3 or P4 that went "you're doing job internships now, LET'S JUST FAST FORWARD BY TWO WEEKS"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

derra posted:

Everyone runs the whole palace again clowning on shadows with this sweet music and grabbing all the locked chests, right?

I'm in your face and I'm here it seee iiit throuuughhh~

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

please tell me there's no way to buy soft drinks blended with placenta irl

I have bad news.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I picked the nicer options picturing my MC as being quiet and solemn on the outside, but on the inside he's constantly pulling his post-All Out Attack face.

"Gonna literally tear out your heart, sir. Or maybe metaphorically, I'm still not 100% on how this works."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
A replay of this would probably be dramatically shorter on account of being able to fast-forward through the intro and stomp all random encounters under your foot like a laughing god, but "shorter than 80 hours" isn't a high bar to clear.

Still probably going to do it at some point.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheLoser posted:

I was already drinking the Kool-aid and then I find out Makoto is all about watching Yakuza movies. She is perfect.

Someone mentioned a crossover a few pages ago. During the third palace setup, I kept thinking to myself "This is a problem Kiryu could solve in maybe 5 minutes, tops."

To be fair, Kiryu is able to solve most problems on a drastically accelerated timetable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ryuji spends the early game as an extremely cool and good dude but after about dungeon 3 when the group dynamic begins to solidify he becomes the idiot who gets carried away with things and makes bad decisions for the sake of comedy/plot, with only a few good moments in between. And dungeon 4 doesn't even have an adult for him to get incredibly pissed at.

I still like him though.

drat it. I wanted him to be the Kanji, and instead he became the Junpei.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also I just finished the first round of midterm exams and I'm getting super antsy about my progress. I've got all my stats at rank 2 but not a single link at rank 5 and it feels bad, man.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Gorp posted:

I detest the Strength arcana.
I've come to the point where I need to look at a guide to do poo poo because I don't understand the deeper machinations of fusion and basically treat it like a lottery.
I'm legitimately thinking about just giving up on that arcana and the true ending for the first playthrough, which wouldn't suck nearly as much if the game wasn't 80 hours and going.

Use a guide for Strength. The fusion requirements get very particular and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches.

Moltrey posted:

The newspaper club lady gets mad that Goro insulted the Phantom Theives and one of the response is

"He's too pretty to be wrong."

writing good

"Look, don't get the wrong idea. All I'm saying is that his eyes are like two mugs of hot chocolate on a cold winter's night and I want to run my fingers through his luxurious hair."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Man Mishima's rank 5 is a hoot.

"Check out this almost real looking gun I got, I feel so confident now!"

(You can feel Mishima's desperation.)

"What's up loser!"

"Oh haha hello.."

I want to like Mishima but his puppy-dog eyes and stylishly useless belts can only do so much with that personality.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also, I read that the game effectively ends in late December, with everything afterwards being nothing but plot and timeskips. Is that legit, because that seems to give P5 a really short timeframe, especially considering the fact that Morgana keeps loving with my schedule.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

The game's last playable events are on 12/24.

I am discontent with this news.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

So what character are they going to create and shoehorn in as a "this is the real love interest" social link whose confidant you have to max to get the extra dungeon?

Metis making a comeback.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Baby Babbeh posted:

It's more thematically consistent than P4, which really loses track of what it's trying to do in the back half of the game. P4 has better characters and mechanics overall, and in some ways it's paced better, but it's not as cohesive and affecting a narrative as P3. Neither of them approach the level of harmony between gameplay and theme we see in P5, though.

P4 sticks to its guns, its theme is just kind of vague and hazy (or foggy, haw haw haw) compared to Memento Mori. It's about avoiding easy answers and being true to yourself, and the final arcs consist of avoiding a lot of red herrings while squaring off against the theme's antithesis in Adachi, a screechy r/redpill poster playing criminal mastermind.

P3's theme had more clarity but its execution seemed almost totally limited to the main character, who eventually started to feel like he was taking second billing to Aigis and her tedious Pinocchio complex.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

I like the Elizabeth thing with the P3 protag, honestly? Because it's stated very bluntly that she's never going to succeed. Even she basically admits it. She just can't let go. Since she's presumably immortal, she's just going to spend the rest of eternity wandering the metaverse or whatever trying to find a solution that doesn't exist. That's pretty heavy.

Not really. She gets the power of the Wildcard after Yu scares her with friendship and sets off on a journey of self-discovery, which will probably lead to an awkward moment where she ends up in the Velvet Room and instead of teaching her about Persona fusion Igor goes "where the hell have you been, you ran out of personal days six months ago"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

lol if you think i read any part of the persona 4 arena story that doesn't involve labrys

P4A's story is bad and the sequel is worse but Elizabeth is easily the second-best part of it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

There was a sequel?!

It makes Adachi into a semi-heroic figure and he and Yu team up, which is just eugh no matter how the script tries to spin it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

i can play as adachi, i need this game. however if he doesnt say bitches and whores, maybe i dont need this game.

He was DLC-only, if I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

Buffs (spells that end in -kaja) and debuffs (-nda) are your best friends in boss fights. The first time I played a Persona game (jesus christ that was nine years ago), I made the mistake of thinking those spells would be useless like they always are in JRPGs, but that is most definitely not the case here.

I don't think consecutive casts stack in P5 like in the last two games, though, so they're now merely broken instead of the skeleton key to all your heart's desires.