Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zore posted:

He also is the one who kills the train conductor and kills hundreds of people on the train as a consequence in the opening along with the dozens of other people who explicitly died when he killed their unconscious.

You'd have to retcon a lot more than just him not killing Futaba's mom. He has a body count of hundreds. gently caress Akechi, the best writing in P5 is when his body is rotting and no one cares enough to identify the corpse

He wasn't technically in the trailer, so that gives some hope. But I fear that the insane love that the fangirls have for him will leave to him not only living, but somehow making amends to at least some degree with the group. His fanbase is so in love with the guy who admitted to being an unrepentant serial killer who canonically will not leave the group without believing that he's killed the main character in cold blood that he's almost certain to return. I'm thinking that the best we could hope for is that he pull and Adachi and willingly turns himself in after he's inevitably retconned as surviving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zore posted:

He also killed a bunch of people on screen

He explicitly murders you on-screen.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i'm still amused at makoto being labelled team strategist given how her planning goes (e.g. how she became a member to begin with), and that futaba fits the role more accurately (e.g. the entire near end-game twist)

To be fair, she basically takes over as leader after she joins. Joker's silent protagonist nature means he'll mostly follow whatever she says and only control the crew in the Metaverse.

Macaluso posted:

I hope P5R changes Makoto's story so that she doesn't want to be a cop

Isn't one of her big goals to eventually clean up the cops after seeing how gleefully corrupt they were with Shido in power?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Sydin posted:

Yeah it pretty much sounds like they're re-writing entire chunks of the second half of the game, doesn't really feel like DLC or even an expanded re-release. It honestly kinda sounds like a legitimate attempt at a do-over of a rushed game.

So far, the promise of seeing the fabled month of *checks notes* Jan-u-ary and Haru getting some actual screen time, is already enticing. Nobody can deny that the game really felt the time crunch in its latter half.

My biggest fears, aside from trying to redeem Akechi to please his fangirls, is that the redhead whose name I keep forgetting will be the Mary Sue that I dread her to be from the trailer’s focus.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Found a version of the trailer with subtitles. Long answer short, the only new info is 1) Akechi’s speech at the beginning is him specifically saying that he doesn’t want pity and 2) a lot of talk about granting wishes at the end and the Phantom Thieves being against it.

So I think we can stop freaking out about Wakaba apparently being alive and the apparent Human Morgana given how that kind of plot usually ends.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Bakeneko posted:

Makoto was my favorite out of all the main characters and the only thing I’d want changed about her is for her persona to stay a motorcycle even after it evolves. It was cool that it took on such a distinct form, but then it just goes and turns into another humanoid.

Letting Anat transform like the Autobot she obviously is would fix everything.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Terper posted:

You can't drive out corruption like that from within as a normal rear end cop. If she wanted to change the police she'd be better off trying for a political career and campaigning for lasting societal changes.

You do remember that she’s a teenage girl and that the father she idolized was, by all indications, one of the most upstanding cops possible, right? Her plan to reform the system from within is naively optimistic, but she does have its heart in the right place. She makes no excuse for what the cops do and their corruption only makes her more determined to fix them by rising as high as possible to do it.

Also remember the that she has some very personal experience with how dangerous organized criminals can be in Japan. Her father was murdered by a gang he was investigating and she herself was nearly sold into prostitution in her recruitment mission. She has a personal grudge against men like them and knows that a force to oppose them on a large scale is needed.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 25, 2019

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Okay, this surprised me. Persona 5 has discovered a way to be milked that not even its predecessor could have imagined.

Out of all groups, you’d think that the Thieves would be least likely to have massive battles with cannon fodder.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rosalind posted:

I finished the second Palace this weekend. I did not care for the boss battle one bit. I was like nearly done when an attack made Morgana vulnerable to every damage type. They used that to knock him out and then used the One Mores to KO each of my remaining party members one-by-one. I went from 4 characters at like 50-80% HP to complete wipe without being able to do a thing about it. I get that making mistakes in this game can cause a cascade of bad things but I didn't even really make any mistakes!

The second try RNG was on my side and I kept my party topped off HP-wise at all times and it was easy-peasy. I wonder though if I'm underleveled because when I check what other people are doing it shows an average level of 18 or 19 and I'm at like 17.

I absolutely loathe Yusuke and I am never gonna use him again if I can help it. Ryuji is the truest bro and the only person who seems really upset about injustice and always wants to do what's right. Was Ann written by two different people who were not allowed to talk to each other? I absolutely do not understand her personality at all which seems to switch between spunky airhead cheerleader stereotype and deeply concerned, hurting, and emotionally mature friend at random.

Yusuke is better than he seems. There isn't much excuse for the nude modeling obsession "joke" in his intro, but he's one of the most rational members of the crew and can get genuinely funny later.

As for Ryuji, well, he's not quite as purely devoted to fighting injustice as he seems at first.

I do agree about Ann's characterization being kind of unfocused. Her best moments were during the Kamoshida Palace. After that, she really falls off and becomes less and less important.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Meh. I couldn't deal with it after a while. I wish I could've turned on the radio inside the Morgana bus and picked music from parts of the game you had scene already.

The remix in Mementos Depths though is fire

I like to think that the only things on Morgana’s radio would be him singing the karaoke versions of the soundtrack.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rosalind posted:

I just had Makoto join my team. Why does she have a motorcycle that is also Pope Joan? It's amazing but why?

Makoto loves motorcycles and has a deep well of suppressed rage.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

I think they've hyped Kasumi up a bit too much for that.

She's probably going to be the focus of the new event span, for better or worse. I hope the extra time helps Haru a lot too though. Haru is great but so terribly underdeveloped.

Haru got more development in the dancing game than in the entirety of Persona 5. She needs all the screentime she can get.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

I think they've hyped Kasumi up a bit too much for that.

She's probably going to be the focus of the new event span, for better or worse. I hope the extra time helps Haru a lot too though. Haru is great but so terribly underdeveloped.

I’m guessing Kasumi will be a recurring character for the entire game, but only join for the new portion. From what I can make of the trailer, she will probably have something to do with the antagonist or that time. She does have a part that indicates that she probably will become an antagonist herself at least for a time. Most likely a misguided or brainwashed one, but an antagonist nonetheless.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Onomarchus posted:

Aside from something just on 1/1, where is this stuff about a new semester coming from? I've heard about it before, so I assume someone is going off something in the Japanese.

And if that is a human Morgana <groan> I think they hewed a little too closely to Yusuke's design. Mainly the hair color.

It’s already be stated that we’re getting those three months later. The only possible explanation I can come up with that doesn’t require a large amount of rewrites is that Akechi survives and turns himself in so Joker and the rest of the Thieves can go free and deal with whatever other problem pops up after Yaldaboah dies.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rosalind posted:

I finished Palace 4 last night. The boss was much tougher than Palace 3. It didn't help that I had Ryuji at first and his weakness to wind meant the boss got plenty of one mores. Is there any way to rearrange the party turn order during combat? I got trapped into this cycle of trying to get Ryuji back up only for him to get knocked out again before Joker got a turn to switch him out.

I liked the puzzles in Palace 4 more than Palace 3. Those tile rearrangement puzzles were interesting--especially the one with diagonal slices that you had to rotate. What I didn't like about Palace 3 was a lack of enemy variety. It felt like there were maybe 5 enemies and none of them were particularly challenging. Even the sarcophagus mini-bosses gave me no issues.

I hit the 40 hour mark right as I finished Palace 4. Could someone tell me approximately how far in I am?

You’re about at the halfway point.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rosalind posted:

Honestly gonna be super sad when I beat this game. It's so good.

Just be ready. The latter half of the game is where things get a lot more intense. It’s very common to add another fifty or sixty hours onto the game just from that point. Also, just one piece of advice if you want the full ending: when the time comes, don’t be a snitch.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rosalind posted:

To be honest as someone who has never played these games before, it's unclear to me what Royal even is. It's an expansion pack but also like a revision of the existing game?

It’s a revamped, and apparently greatly expanded version of the original game with new characters, events, and a large extension of time which will require big changes to the story beyond that. It will also greatly alter the dungeons to be more complicated and involve that grappling hook that appeared in Smash Bros.

One of the big features they advertised is that the group will hang out together more, including the last character who was greatly overlooked in the main game.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

The problem with Hifumi is that the writers have Makoto just about everything she would have to provide the group. They’d have to seriously rewrite one or both characters to make it work.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

TwoPair posted:

I actually like Morgana okay (though half of it is finding his design adorable) but yeah he's a little poo poo, and basically his entire little breakdown stems from Futaba taking his place and everybody talking about how smart and handy she is.

This is about the point of the story that Morgana starts to figure out that he isn’t really human at all. He’s having an identity crisis and projects that and his increasing feelings of uselessness into a pointless argument. Basically, the little kitty is having a lot of issues at the time and lets himself fall into an outburst because of it. It didn’t help that the rest of the team was getting conflicted thanks to their sudden fame and the public treating them as almost bloodsport.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Making Confidants give practical effects on gameplay and giving them a role in both the final battle and its aftermath was one of the best decisions. Before, you could remove almost all of them and lose nothing of value beyond having yet another chore to eat up time. It also explained why your character hangs out with this weird group long enough to get attached.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Arist posted:

One of these days I want them to introduce a girl in the party you can't date because they get with a different party member or something. The closest we've got to that is Junpei in P3P but that's because the female route was backfill.

I’m into that. I mean, it would really help the team feel real if not everyone was an option for the player to have a vicarious relationship with. Granted, that will piss off a lot of the fanbase, but it would be worth it to end the Waifu Wars alone.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

TwoPair posted:

I think it kind of fits though, tbh. He had personal stakes in the Kamoshida arc, he hated the guy. After that every other mission isn't something he cares about as much and as the story goes on, he cares more about making the Phantom Thieves famous and just owning random adults than he does about the actual reason behind raiding palaces.

New thread title tia

After the fifth Palace, he calls up Joker and admits that he let the thrill and fame get to his head. It was part of his character. Unfortunately, he got too much comic relief treatment to really show his intended growth.

Ann got it worse than Ryuji did in my eyes. Ryuji always had a voice throughout the game, but Ann lost all focus after Makoto joined. Even her Confidant story was an unfocused mess jumping between personal growth attempts, Shiho, and goofy modeling stuff. You ‘d almost forget she was even there at times.

I think the writers realized this and added their scenes with the counselor to make more attempts at developing them.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Notty posted:

Haru is the one who’s very obviously carrying a torch for Joker and is completely crestfallen if you don’t take her Romance path.

The problem there is that Haru’s link comes up so late and has such a high requirement in a stat to open that it’s pretty hard to get to the point where you can even see her apparently having a crush on Joker. In-story, there are no hints on her having any particular interest in Joker alone, so I didn’t even know it existed during my first play through.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

It also helps that Makoto's S-Link really shows the two make an excellent team.

I sadly haven't done Haru's. On a replay I suppose.

That and her link shows that they are already seen as a convincing couple.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Joker and Futaba/Sojiro don't even live in the same house. You know Sojiro for less than a year but you don't meet Futaba until July. You can start dating her as early as like, late August to September, meaning you'd have known her for around a month when you start dating. So yeah, someone you have known for one month and isn't related to you at all are two very strange situations for someone who is "basically your sister" to have.

Play through Sojiro’s social link in full. It has a pretty clear theme of the three basically considering each other family by the end.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't get it.

Ryuji printed out their chat log and posted it all over the school instead of the real calling card for Kamoshida.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

nrook posted:

Hot take:

While the party AI in Persona 3 can be frustrating, in general it reinforces the themes of the game, and the game suffers when it's removed. It makes the party members feel much more like separate people from the protagonist; you're playing as the main character, not as the spooky ghost of SEES who possesses everyone during combat.

There’s a point where a theme hurts more than it helps.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Macaluso posted:

The drunk reporter was the worst confidant, made worse by constantly having a more interesting character around her in most of her scenes that you can't be a confidant with

That and the fact that her ability is by far the least useful in the game for all but the least competent stealth gamers.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Oh absolutely, he's a dork. My point is that it's also endearing how much he wants to help at the beginning and the end of his link, and the stuff about how he's been pretty much beaten down all his life by bullies and jerks. It'd be nice to give him someone who likes him and wants to make him happy, and why can't Joker be that person.

Basically Mishima is a loser who I think it'd be nice if one of the options was to show him that he's not as much of a loser as he thinks he is.

The end of his link and his contribution in the final boss try to do the this, but it comes off more as him being an idealistic loser rather than a huge change.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

Why would you romance anyone but Makoto, the only option that is both your age and has their poo poo together

As far as the game and dancing spin-off are concerned, she’s already into Joker and both Futaba and Ann highly approve of the idea of them being a couple.

Mason Dixon posted:

People ignoring the actual obvious pick, Haru. Close in age to Joker, good sense of style, good personality, has the business connections/resources/knowledge to potentially open her own cafe in the future so Joker can either be legit and set in an honest future or leverage it into a front for a crime empire... oh, and isn't a cop.

The game itself ignores Haru, so how were the players able to do less? If she gets some screen time and stops using the most absurdly over complicated planters known to man, then we can talk.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

Not really considering her upbringing, her family, how she defines justice, and all the problems in the system she becomes aware of over the course of being a Phantom Thief?

Like it's really, really obvious that she wants to be a cop because she believes that the police at large right now are failing in their duty to do what's right even if it involves confronting the powerful and wants to be an agent of change in the system.

Like this is her character arc over the course of the game.

I don’t know why this is such a point of contention with this thread. The cops are horrendously flawed and deeply corrupt, but just saying that you hate them and doing nothing else doesn’t really accomplish anything. Especially when predators like Kaneshiro and the like exist. Makoto idolized her father who, by all accounts, was about as ideal as cop could be. She wants to rise in power enough to try to make the cops at least try to live up to the idea that her father represented. It’s highly naive, but it does show that she’s thinking in long term and does want to make larger scale reforms in society outside of her work with the PTs.

She’s not excusing anything that they do. Hell, she’s the one member of the Thieves that gets angriest when she hears of how many cops are Shido’s willing enforcers. She just wants to root out the corruption and rebuild the force into something actually worthwhile.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Which is the other thing, comedy is subjective and where some might find Mishima’s treatment hilarious, and in several ways it is. Others might find it deeply upsetting in the same way people find Ryuji getting dumped on constantly obnoxious.

Or Yusuke’s starving artist schtick.

At least Yusuke’s joke is shown to be his own fault thanks to his inability to stop spending all his money on whatever happens to inspire him at the moment.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

I'm all aboard for all of this.

As for social commentary talk, I will say I was also let down by what we got. I wasn't expecting full communism now or whatever the hell, but when your promotional material keeps highlighting prisoners, balls and chains, and its revealed your team is the Lupin III crew, the resolution of "well NOW you should let the system that hosed you so bad in the first place handle it from here" to be so lackluster. Maybe if we had seen more evidence that there was a legit shock sent through the system by our actions? The way it went I felt like we missed a few more scenes.

It was more like them learning that changing society as a whole isn’t remotely as simple as making about one target a month confess. Instead, they should try some more mundane methods and hope that the people they trust can handle things now that the most supernaturally dangerous elements are gone. It was kind of weak, but killing Yaldabaoth instantly making everything better would be insulting.

Onomarchus posted:

Yes, but this is also why dating Akechi would be even more delicious. Well, at least if you've already played the game through once, but that describes a lot of people who are going to play it. And remember the irony of Joker and friends knowing about him earlier than the game tells the player. Even the complications are funny.

Don’t give the fanfic writers more material. We don’t need them to have more reason to ignore that their precious, precious baby is an unrepentant mass murderer.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

You can’t forget Marie. No matter how much you want to.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rosalind posted:

Took everyone's advice and went French Revolution on my personas and yeah that has made things much easier in palace 6!

I'm still probably a bit underleveled as I beat a mini-boss on the first level and every single party member aside from Akechi leveled up twice. I'm really liking the casino vibe. I just wish there was a bit more to do. Like I get that the games are rigged but I wish there were more prizes to buy once I unrigged them.

I don't like Akechi as a party member very much at all. I don't like how he acts all smug like he's figured everything out before everyone else.

Yeah, it’s amazing how quickly you get desensitized to subjecting what would be valued teammates in normal games to ritual executions for power.

Also, screw Akechi and his distressingly large adoring fanbase.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I am liking new girl’s ballet Persona. I’m still on the fence about her character, though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Her introduction trailer has her say that she dislikes the Phantom Thieves for forcing people to change instead of letting them do it themselves. I can only see her joining up in the new time period. It not, then right before Okumura’s Palace at the earliest. She’s definitely going to be popping up throughout the entire game, though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Well, you are robbing Kaneshiro’s bank by cracking safes and evading (extremely ineffective) cameras to get to his main vault. Still, they really could have made the missions more heist like beyond being themed around heist settings.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Haru could have been the mysterious financial backer if she hadn’t been introduced so late and if Joker’s own pockets weren’t constantly bulging with cognitive lucre

You’d think her she would help you buy out Iwae’s entire stock when she joins, but nope. She expects you to keep funding the entire team on your own by beating imaginary money out of stray thoughts.

Haru could have been your “in” for high society or pull strings to make things easier, but also nope. Anything she has is totally irrelevant by the time she joins up. All she brings to the team is gardening and the last elemental damage type.

We just keep finding new ways she got the short end of the stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

https://youtu.be/WnwQ_aKGXBE

New trailer.

We learn what the creepy skull potatoes do, the new girl’s arcana (Faith), see more grappling hook action and more.

Most importantly, guns are actually useful now because your imaginary ammo replenishes after battle!