Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

It's true. That's why you can get two to three rank ups on Heirophant after palace 4 if you kept getting points on him.

Would you mind elaborating on this? I had also heard the rumour that P5 had a bank system for points as opposed to P4's bucket system (i.e. excess points being saved instead of lost) and had performed some experiments to check for myself. I didn't check memory values, just trial and error, but I came to the conclusion that P5 also works on a bucket system and extra points are wasted, not advanced towards later ranks.

Haru's confidant is an excellent testbed for this since she requires so few points to rank up, has incredibly high amounts of possible points per rank (especially because you'll likely have excellent or top exam marks by this time), and still has opportunities to earn 0 points during many rank up events if you're careful to present yourself as a boring stick in the mud devoid of any interesting personality traits.

A great opportunity to test this is Haru's run of rank up events from rank 3 to rank 6. Without even taking grades into account, rank 3>4 has the opportunity to earn 50 points (73 with matching Persona). Since the rank 4>5 event requires 15 points, this should shave our theoretical bank down to 58. You can complete the rank 4>5 event without gaining a single point. The rank 5>6 event requires 15 points. If excess points were preserved, we should be able to trigger this event. However, if you gained zero points from the rank 4>5 event, you will find you aren't yet able to trigger her 5>6 event. This leads me to believe that excess points are not preserved, and that initiating a rank-up event resets your points total to zero.

I'm curious about your use of Sojiro's confidant as an example, given how anomalous it is. Hierophant has an interesting structure as advancement proceeds very slowly due to low points earning potential and high points requirements until the plot-lock, then rebalances to offer sufficient points at every rank-up so that maxing it from then on can be done quickly. The points gap in the pre-plot-locked ranks also provides an incentive for the player to create SP recovery items, particularly useful as they're likely to be acquired before the player gains access to SP Adhesives, especially discounted SP Adhesives. I thought this was a surprisingly deft move by the developers.

In addition to Sojiro's higher ranks simply offering more points, two other things change during the course of the game and his confidant: how many points are earned for making coffee, and how many points are earned for spending time with Sojiro. Making coffee grants 5 points the first six times it is prepared, then grants 10 points from the seventh time on. Spending time with Sojiro grants 5 points up to August 21st, then grants 10 points from August 22nd on.

Given how early in the game the player usually works on his confidant, I'll ignore the possible additional points that could be earned during rank-up events after having achieved good exam results:

0 CP required for Rank 1>2 event.
Can earn up to 15 points baseline (21 with matching Persona).

35 CP required for Rank 2>3 event. As players will likely be working on this rank before gaining access to Meiji Shrine or Affinity Readings, making coffee is going to be the primary way to fill the gap between what was earned in the previous rank up event and what is required. This rank is unique in that you can make coffee for Sojiro up to three times for points, as opposed to the two times for other ranks (he starts going home instead of just out for smokes).
Can earn up to 10 points baseline (14 with matching Persona).

45 CP required for Rank 3>4 event. This is a noticeably large deficit for the player to fill, and will generally be the largest hump in the confidant.
Can earn up to 20 points baseline (30 with matching Persona).

40 CP required for Rank 4>5 event. Unavailable until August 22. The gap between points earned and points required is much narrower than for the previous rank, and can be achieved with one evening spent together (on August 22nd or later), two coffee brews (if it's the sixth or fewer time the protagonist has brewed coffee), or two evenings spent together (if done before August 22nd).
Can earn up to 25 points baseline (37 with matching Persona).

After this, Hierophant changes to easy mode. All further ranks can be reached via thoughtful dialogue choice and Persona matching; even with bad grades, no other source of points is required until the rank 9>MAX event, and having bad grades at that point in the game is nearly an achievement in itself. There is a skill gate, as well as the usual Mementos request, but CP is no longer a major concern.

20 CP required for Rank 5>6 event.
Can earn up to 20 points baseline (29 with matching Persona).

20 CP required for Rank 6>7 event. Max Kindness also required.
Can earn up to 5 points baseline (7 with matching Persona).

6 CP required for Rank 7>8 event.

Completing Futaba's special Mementos request is required for the Rank 8>9 event. There is no CP requirement.
Can earn up to 25 points baseline (37 with matching Persona). At this point in the game, the protagonist is likely placing in the top ten in his exams (bumping the points earned to 30 baseline/45 with Persona), or even first (bumping the points up to 37 baseline/56 with matching Persona).

40 CP required for the rank 9>MAX event. Even if the protagonist is a total idiot and hasn't placed top ten or better in his exams, the deficit is just 3 points, which can be easily filled without spending time by mailing a calling card postcard (2 points baseline/3 with matching Persona), or an affinity reading (5 points baseline/7 with matching Persona).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

SweaterGear posted:

Is this really true? I thought all high exams scores did was give Charm and accessories. Regardless, this was a fascinating read.

I played P5 for 200+ hours, did basically everything, and yet I'm still learning about new mechanics!

It is true. I missed that in my first playthrough too and was surprised to discover its existence. I learned about this from the very excellent official complete guide, took copious notes while playing, and found the guide to be correct regarding all of its information about CP mechanics. It's also where I discovered how the Christmas girlfriend presents actually work.

To be specific, your results in the exams influence your CP gain with Ryuji, Ann, Makoto, Haru, Sojiro, and Kawakami. Ranking in the top ten increases CP gain by 20%. Ranking first increases CP gain by 50%. This stacks with the bonus you get for bringing a matching Persona, so it transforms an answer that awards 5 points into an answer that awards 11 points (top in exams and matching Persona).

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

Ryuji's so adorable. He does call you traitor if you talk about studying sometimes, but he's so proud of you as his smart friend. Ryuji is just proud of you all the time about everything; he's such a purehearted soul.

The exam bonus is based on the most recent exam, and triggers when the marks are posted. I've been wondering that too, about holding off on Sojiro 'til later during NG+s, but I find there's really nothing else to do with my evenings since it's too early to work on video games for items and I generally don't date Takemi so in evenings it's basically hanging out with coffee dad or getting hella swole. Or maybe one day I'll structure a run around making sure I do the crossword every time it's available. I never end up seeing more than the first five puzzles.

An affinity reading gives 5 points baseline and is affected by Persona matching so you can get 7 points out of it.

Ohya's confidant rank-up balance is one of the most annoying, imho. I get it's because they want you in the point in the main plot where you can understand how her backstory ties in with the bigger picture, but like you said you just end up having to visit the fortune teller a bunch of times every rank. I'm dating her this playthrough just to get her Christmas item to smooth out ranking her up in future runs.

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

CJ posted:

how much does a normal non-levelling up hangout give? I've been pumping fortune readings into Ohya for over a month now and it's still not at the point where i can level her up when i talk to her.

Spending time without ranking up or going anywhere to hang out awards 10 CP. If you're at rank 4-7, you can take her to Seaside Park and pick the second dialogue option for 15 points. If you're at 8 or higher, you can take her to Ginza and pick the first dialogue option for 15 points (this is also where you get the sushi cup decor item).

Since Ohya is potentially dateable, you have the option to give her a gift for extra points whenever you spend time together. The Fountain Pen gives you 50 points, and you can get 10 points each for the Incense Set, Mini Cactus, Black Mug, Sakura Fan, Rakugo Collection, and Uji Matcha Flan.

Regarding the conversation about bank vs. bucket for confidant points, I went back and reread the official guide and in its flowchart for how confidant rank-ups work it explicitly says your CP total is reduced to 0 at the beginning of the rank-up event, so that's another perspective to keep in mind.

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

IMHO the twist is that the MC figures it out when the player does. I absolutely didn't see that coming, and it got me incredibly stoked and excited that the MC wasn't the stupid dumb idiot this sort of plot normally requires.

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

What I don't get is why they gave Ann all the extra shadow negotiation abilities when she's the party member you're least likely going to be taking through trash (I still love her, she's a slam pick for bosses, but if you don't do phys you're not gonna be on my trash squad). Changing that would require a big rethink of her confidant abilities so I don't expect anything to change in Royal, but it's something that always stuck out to me.

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

Arist posted:

The shadow negotiation abilities are loving useless anyway, they only apply to hostage negotiations, lol

That is extremely true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

Looks like the English localization renamed the characters to Julian (from Juliana) and Angel (from Angela). (They didn't have names in the base game, but the Japanese release of Royal also altered their dialogue, though not in the same fashion as the English release of Royal based on these screenshots. The Royal revisions removed the monster references and instead cast Juliana and Angela as the "faeries of Shinjuku".)